Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Muslin/Cheesecloth is what you want, it's finely woven so looks appropriate for the scale, and once you have it where you want it, any of super glue, epoxy resin, or even just varnish will soak in and then dry it to shape. I used it to make a saddle blanket for a wargaming mini

Shocker of a photo, but you get the idea

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Almost done with the Lambo Countach. Should be finished next week.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Seconding cheesecloth for fabric/cloth. It's fine enough to be workable at small scales, threadbare enough to look in-scale at a distance, and stiff enough that you can work in some fairly realistic looking folds/bends

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greyhawk posted:

Not really. Medical tape shrinks and expands to conform to the curves of whatever it is covering. Worse, with glue on it it tends to turn into what is essentially a big lumpy mess.

You'd be happier with some finely woven cotton sheet. Or linen if you want more texture.

Good to know, thanks.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I built a HobbyBoss Sturmpanzer IV Brummbar

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Anyone have a non shady looking source for lighting kits? I'm looking to outfit one of my Polar Lights Star Trek models. All of the websites that sell them look like they were created sometime circa 1990.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Super 3 posted:

Anyone have a non shady looking source for lighting kits? I'm looking to outfit one of my Polar Lights Star Trek models. All of the websites that sell them look like they were created sometime circa 1990.

Yeah, that's the way they all look. You should be fine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

You should try historical wargaming, some of the sites have descriptions instead of pictures, and still use faxes and emails instead of eCommerce packages :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cross posting from the funny pictures thread in PYF.

I have no context.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have no context.

I've seen a few guys who use dead crustaceans like that. Not sure if they clean and lacquer the hell out of them or just discard the thing once it starts to stink.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They're prepared shells.

Because if you waited until "they start to stink", it would have a shelf life of about 20 minutes.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst Issue 18

Instead of putting up vertical walls around the forward upper deck structure like normal people we begin to install a number of suspended ceilings to build up the structure.

I can only guess the German engineers are mightily drunk and fear the sky dropping down on their heads.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

Scharnhorst Issue 18

Instead of putting up vertical walls around the forward upper deck structure like normal people we begin to install a number of suspended ceilings to build up the structure.

I can only guess the German engineers are mightily drunk and fear the sky dropping down on their heads.

That's a pretty strange way to make superstructure. Maybe a way to get that nice curve on the laser cutter?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I have no context.
Giant enemy crab, obviously.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So, I've almost finished my first personal traditional model kit, and wow. I've had experience with gundams and a recentish Rubicon jeep kit, but I was still overwhelmed; the presentation, the incredible engineering, the excellent accessories and optional parts, the accurate casting...

Revell's 1:48 P38J Lightning model kit has none of the above.

I might do a writeup and pics griping about it, but for now I'm going to relax.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Neurolimal posted:

So, I've almost finished my first personal traditional model kit, and wow. I've had experience with gundams and a recentish Rubicon jeep kit, but I was still overwhelmed; the presentation, the incredible engineering, the excellent accessories and optional parts, the accurate casting...

Scalemates is your friend. That one's from 1964.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I knew it wasn't going to be the highest quality kit, But I expected the casts at least be accurate to the instructions. It's supposed to have an openable cockpit, but I'm going to have to glue it together because instead of two pegs it's got two mountains.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neurolimal posted:

Your redtext reminded me of that ad campaign and now I, too, am unreasonably enraged.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Your redtext reminded me of that ad campaign and now I, too, am unreasonably enraged.

His red text became a probation so I can't read it now. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Locator posted:

His red text became a probation so I can't read it now. :v:

Read his profile dumb dumb

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Read his profile dumb dumb

:ughh:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I have no context.

Digging the Metal Slug 3 vibe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Midjack posted:

I've seen a few guys who use dead crustaceans like that. Not sure if they clean and lacquer the hell out of them or just discard the thing once it starts to stink.

Great. Something to do with all these shells.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

So after spending a year abroad I'm getting back to the hobby with Zvesda's BT-5 tank with some basic etch to see where my skill level is at the moment and goddamn does that kit put me through the test....

Ensign, you were working on it as well a while ago no? Do you have pictures of the front (suspension and fenders)? The version I'm building is a 3rd party rebox and the instructions suck rear end.

Also, do you know what the two boxes on the sides of the upper deck are? Air intakes or something?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/4m3klqe

Molentik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 18, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Engine air exhaust. The intake for the engine is the mushroom-like protrusion in the middle.

I was working on a BT-7, but this page has excellent reference photos for all BT models.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

(Didn't bother using my lightbox/taking multiple pics because I did a pretty lousy job admittedly)

I'm really glad that this wasn't my first traditional model kit experience, because I'm pretty sure I would be running away screaming right now. It wasn't a bad build at first, lots of flash but nothing hair-pullingly annoying...until you get to the Night Fighter "conversion" parts. I use scare quotes because a part of that conversion involves sawing off most of the cockpit then trying to glue in the replacement. Maybe this is normal for conversion parts and I'm a big baby, but it was a huge PITA that eventually resulted in my just epoxy-ing the drat thing in place (and as is pretty obvious I put it too far back, so there's gaps in the clear panels). I was baffled as to why they couldn't just remove the existing cockpit from the sculpt and offering both with pegs, but maybe that amount of retooling was too expensive in the 60's.

Still, I think the finished product looks good enough for a nearly 60 year old kit, definitely enough to leave on a shelf. And I'm genuinely happy with how I managed the pilot.

Obviously a member of the Neutral Party. His proportions are oddly flat, but the overall two figures (other one is glued in place in the plane) have enough character that I can forgive that.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 18, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Got a few more figures base painted.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
For those who like the little doll's house-y dioramas, this is pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-6ndwvK3UI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Unkempt posted:

For those who like the little doll's house-y dioramas, this is pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-6ndwvK3UI

Those are cool. If I lived anywhere near that I would make it a point to go see that exhibition.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I have finished building the multimedia Lamborghini Countach

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/glwsd

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greyhawk posted:

I have finished building the multimedia Lamborghini Countach

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/glwsd

Nice. This is the best way to own a Countach

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I remember this older japanese tv show that followed one hobbyist as they built a tank or other model each week, does anyone remember what it was called or have a link? I could have sworn I saw it here originally but didn't see it in the first ten pages.

Nevermind, found it: Plamo Tsukurou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Jiscuit

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst 19

The next round of horizontal layers is slotted in, this time extending the forward deck structure quite a bit. It's starting to look like an actual thing found on the ship.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Interesting. Never knew the sandcrawler was running on HVSS. I presume it was upgraded from the earlier VVSS configuration.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Physical scratch-built models used to be such an incredibly important part of Hollywood. Cool stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They still are. The models for the prequel trilogy are things of sheer beauty to behold. It's really a shame that they decided to CGI over them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I love the last image. You always remember it as being a gigantic vehicle and then there's a picture of it being just a small model, with the 2 men next to it. The contrast is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hey, The Orville uses physical models!