Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why doesn't South Africa want to intervene in Zimbabwe? Too many problems at home? And why is Jacob Zuma still there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grouchio posted:

Why doesn't South Africa want to intervene in Zimbabwe?
Why would anyone want to put their dick in that particular mouse trap?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

And why is Jacob Zuma still there?

Why is Trump still president?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kustomkarkommando posted:

Why is Trump still president?
I see.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

Why doesn't South Africa want to intervene in Zimbabwe? Too many problems at home? And why is Jacob Zuma still there?

Did you honestly expect a bunch of corruption trials, rape allegations and a state capture report to do anything to Zuma? Hell the Republicans in the USA can take a few ideas from the ANC.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Madkal posted:

Did you honestly expect a bunch of corruption trials, rape allegations and a state capture report to do anything to Zuma? Hell the Republicans in the USA can take a few ideas from the ANC.

Santorum tried that already.:laugh:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grouchio posted:

Why doesn't South Africa want to intervene in Zimbabwe?

Ugh. I'm replying to Grouchio.

Zanu-PF sheltered a lot of ANC members in exile during the 80s, and that wing (which includes Zuma) feel indebted to them. Given that it's the veterans wing of Zanu-PF revolting against a likely demented Mugabe, it's not really like Zuma has a dog in the fight.

Also this

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why would anyone want to put their dick in that particular mouse trap?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Madkal posted:

Let's see: purges of "non-loyalists" from government departments, consolidating control of the military and police forces, naked graft, being way too friendly with Putin, and pre-emptive power flexing to bury criminal charges.

Yeah, I think the Trump administration have this covered already. They're even ahead of Zuma on the judicial capture front.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Important if true.

https://twitter.com/govzimbabwe/status/931305734456913921

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Asylum from what? Were they going to try and prosecute him?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I figured they would force him to step down but in such a way that he can say he is stepping down to prevent bloodshed and he is a true hero for doing so. Something to save face. Seriously though, gently caress Mugabe. He should have stepped down ages ago, and I'm glad his wife lead to his downfall (though how much of a downfall a 90-something year old with syphilis can have is up to debate).

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The press reports that Mugabe is finished seem to be based on a lot of wishing and tea leaves. If this is Mnangagwa's coup then I'd expect him to have said so by now. This could just as well be an anti-coup operation on Mugabe's behalf without loyalty to either faction.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BBC News posted:

Sources close to the talks say Mr Mugabe - who has been in control of Zimbabwe since it threw off white minority rule in 1980 - is refusing to stand down voluntarily before next year's planned elections.

"I think he is trying to buy time," one source close to the army leadership told the AFP news agency.
All i can say is RIP Robert Mugabe, victim of an hearth attack at the age of 93. Tragic it happened tomorrow during to the non-coup.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Important if true.

Twitter posted:

COMRADE R.G MUGABE HAS BEEN GRANTED ASYLUM IN SOUTH AFRICA, NAMIBIA AND ANGOLA. #ZIMBABWE
— Zimbabwe Government (@govzimbabwe) November 16, 2017

Mugabe's head has been granted asylum in South Africa, his torso in Namibia, his limbs in Angola.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Mugabe's head has been granted asylum in South Africa, his torso in Namibia, his limbs in Angola.
Best casket scenario.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/931493089872629761

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Grouchio posted:

Best casket scenario.

a rare :golfclap: is justified here

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jesus with all the people manifesting in the street against Mugabe, now i am afraid of what would happen to the civilians if Mugabe managed an unlikely successful counter-coup.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Toplowtech posted:

Jesus with all the people manifesting in the street against Mugabe, now i am afraid of what would happen to the civilians if Mugabe managed an unlikely successful counter-coup.

There are almost no riot police on the street. He has 0 power now

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There are almost no riot police on the street. He has 0 power now
I'd rather have people celebrate in the street after he is actually gone, than before. Never sell the bear's skin before one has actually killed the beast. But they sure are happy and no one can blame them, really.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Oh, he's gone. The thing I wonder is if this joy will persist under a leader nicknamed The Crocodile.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have doubts that the army wants Mnangagwa to stay in power for long.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

He's keen to extend the command agriculture scheme rolled out to try to cut imports to other sectors, and the military is v keen on that as they have increasingly been put in charge of running the scheme and they are still being paid in funny money IOUs and have undoubtedly been making a bit of bank from the scheme.

He's v v close to the command structure - he's very much their man

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aaaaaaand he's gone.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Grouchio posted:

Aaaaaaand he's gone.

No he's nooooot:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/nov/19/robert-mugabe-set-to-resign-as-president-of-zimbabwe-live

I know, this is just the last desperate breaths of a fading relic, but still...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RagnarokZ posted:

No he's nooooot:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/nov/19/robert-mugabe-set-to-resign-as-president-of-zimbabwe-live

I know, this is just the last desperate breaths of a fading relic, but still...
Duly taken. Slit his throat.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I saw on the Guardian that they were planning a protest for Wednesday. I'm curious as to why they're waiting an extra two days.

Grouchio posted:

Duly taken. Slit his throat.

What happened to you that you have zero chill

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sergg posted:

Meet this new boss, same as the old boss, but probably not as grossly incompetent.

But does that just mean that they'll be better at oppression?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well there is a resignation letter now, from Mugabe apparantly. For what it's worth, so it looks like we will see so departure soon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DougColtart/status/933002139596677121

I don't know what's going to happen but at least they get this moment.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo, it's over, finally.

Crocodile will be landing in Zim flying via private jet from South Africa in a few hours. He's probably getting sworn in today as well. Businessman, very close tides with China.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know that guy at all but he can't be worse than Mugabe. Right? :ohdear:

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/DougColtart/status/933002139596677121

I don't know what's going to happen but at least they get this moment.
Hopefully he'll allow import and sale of cameras made in this decade at least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They keep saying he was heavily involved with the massacres in Matabeleland in the eighties, so he's probably no angel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just watched "Searching for Sugarman".

It seems that all of Sixto Rodriguez's fans are white. Is his fanbase primarily white people, or does he have a lot of black fans as well?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It seems that all of Sixto Rodriguez's fans are white. Is his fanbase primarily white people, or does he have a lot of black fans as well?

What was access to popular culture like for black people in apartheid South Africa in general? Hopefully somebody with actual useful input will chime in, but I can't imagine the regime of the early 70s would be cool with large-scale dissemination of contemporary American pop music in the black communities - especially since Rodriguez wrote a lot about social justice and other lefty subjects.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Retarded Goatee posted:

What was access to popular culture like for black people in apartheid South Africa in general? Hopefully somebody with actual useful input will chime in, but I can't imagine the regime of the early 70s would be cool with large-scale dissemination of contemporary American pop music in the black communities - especially since Rodriguez wrote a lot about social justice and other lefty subjects.
I don't believe comedy was even a genre under Aparteid, according to Trevor Noah.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Retarded Goatee posted:

Let me tell you about anime dubbed into Zulu.

Seriously though, the kind of music popular among black South Africans (at least to my knowledge, as I don't have that lived experience), tends to be locally created (eg African Jazz or house music variants like kwaito), or the music popular among African Americans.

How many African Americans are into the kind of acoustic folk-rock Sixto Rodriguez makes? It's white people music, like Metallica or Insane Clown Posse or (insert country music band name here).

Which is not to say that the documentary isn't steeped in white privilege, because it very obviously is. Just that there are and were factors other than censorship driving the fact that black South Africans aren't into it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How could Sixto Rodriguez be that popular/sold half a million copies if his market was limited to liberal white South Africans? Especially if his music was illegal.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

How could Sixto Rodriguez be that popular/sold half a million copies if his market was limited to liberal white South Africans? Especially if his music was illegal.

a) That 500K figure was an estimate, put forward by a lawyer, as part of a music rights lawsuit over pirate copy sales of two albums over a time period spanning decades. It's almost certainly much higher than reality.

b) The White South African population has been between 4 and 5 million people over the time that Rodriguez has been popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

a) That 500K figure was an estimate, put forward by a lawyer, as part of a music rights lawsuit over pirate copy sales of two albums over a time period spanning decades. It's almost certainly much higher than reality.

b) The White South African population has been between 4 and 5 million people over the time that Rodriguez has been popular.

Yeah. It would mean that like 1 in 2 liberal White South Africans legally brought his record then. He'd have to be like Michael Jackson Thriller popular.