Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Mantle posted:

I couldn't follow who is dude

Lazy rear end in a top hat rock climber guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mantle posted:

I couldn't follow who is dude

The dude...duder, el Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah, dude is the ex-husband shitbag leech.

The new husband comes from a really rough background and did a lot of under the table work, I guess, and trusted his ex waaaaaaayyy too much. He's really kind but he veers from over-trusting to just rejecting common sense stuff depending on his mood.

She can really pick 'em.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

kimbo305 posted:

What is Tether?

Here's a good explanation from the YOSPOS Bitcoin thread. For background, last year a prominent exchange called Bitfinex was hacked (or "hacked") and instead of declaring bankruptcy then they decided to give all their depositors a haircut and reimburse them for their losses with a "BFX token" which was basically an illegal security which they claimed they would eventually redeem to make their customers whole. A few months later Wells Fargo, the last US bank that would work with Bitfinex, stopped processing USD-demoninated wire transfers for them. Shortly thereafter Bitfinex "redeemed" all those illegal securities for US dollars (which were conveniently trapped in your Bitfinex account since they couldn't send or receive USD wire transfers). Since then they've been relying on Tethers as a proxy for US dollars (since each Tether is supposed to be backed by 1 US dollar) but even that is sketchy since Wells Fargo cut off Tether at the same time they cut off Bitfinex (since it turned out the two companies were owned by the same parent company) so nobody knows how people are supposedly sending USD to Tether at a rate of ~$50+ million per month in recent months.

Azathoth posted:

Okay, effort post incoming, because it's far funnier and way more scammy.

It was, and continues to be, at a technical level more or less what you describe: an extra layer on top of bitcoin, but that's not really why anyone is buying or selling them. They're effectively a way for Bitfinex to keep from the wolves from the door, at least for a while.

The company that is responsible for creating and issuing Tether started separate, but was bought out/merged/whatever with Bitfinex at some point. For the longest time, Bitfinex pretended that it was totally a completely separate company, but the cat's out of the bag on that, so they've shifted to "sister companies" of late, but for all intents and purposes, they act as a single entity.

They've publicly promised that all Tether issued is backed by USD held by the company, and they only issue more when they get more USD. Over time, Tether has issued literally hundreds of millions of dollars worth into the market, and despite promised audits, there's no proof they've got any cash reserves at all, let alone hundreds of millions of dollars.

As for Bitfinex, they have not allowed withdrawals in cash for some time, but continue to allow withdrawals in Bitcoin. As such, any cash balance on Bitfinex is purely notional, and as the realization that they're insolvent has spread, more and more people buy Bitcoin at any price, not because they think it will go up, but because they want out before the house of cards collapses. The rising price provides an incentive to get out sooner, as cash in Bitfinex becomes increasingly devalued.

Anyone who still has cash in Bitfinex has a vested interest in not looking too deeply into what is happening while they withdraw what they can in Bitcoin. This staves off immediate collapse, but means that the company starts burning Bitcoin faster than it is coming in, and puts Bitfinex on a path to disorderly collapse once Bitcoin reserves run dry. To buy more time, the company routinely drops a shitload of Tether on Bitfinex, which is immediately used to buy all the Bitcoin it can.

Of late, there's been increasingly large and more frequent releases of Tether, which is making it harder for them to find bag hodlers, which means they need to issue even more Tether to keep solvent, which further makes it harder to find new bag hodlers, etc.

At some point, the whole thing will collapse once Bitfinex either finally runs out of Bitcoin or gets busted for fraud, but who knows when that'll be.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 22, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
So a Tether is another cryptocurrency?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

kimbo305 posted:

So a Tether is another cryptocurrency?

https://poloniex.com/exchange#usdt_btc

Many, many listed cryptocurrencies friend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I honestly don't understand why they had to bring in this other currency. I mean I get it -- it's a scam and people are dumb, but what was the attraction of having Tether currency?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It makes hiding their complete lack of actual money easier because it's another layer of obfuscation.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Startup idea: a site that lets you start your own make-believe cryptocurrency.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

CryptErO

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Inept posted:

It makes hiding their complete lack of actual money easier because it's another layer of obfuscation.

Got it in one. Tether exists to let them pretend their numbers are backed with cash value. Up until recently, they pretended publicly that the comany running Tether wasn't effectively a wholly owned subsidiary of BitFinEx, too.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I still smile when I hear Mt Gox and think "no no no, that's the Magic: the Gathering Online Exchange."

So much of Bitcoin was handled by a place where people traded digital versions of collectable cards for a digital version of a game of real cards that is played in real life.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crypter.io

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Liquid Communism posted:

Got it in one. Tether exists to let them pretend their numbers are backed with cash value.

Oh, so Tether:Bitfinex::Moody’s:Mortgage-backed securities.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Phanatic posted:

Oh, so Tether:Bitfinex::Moody’s:Mortgage-backed securities.

Sorta kinda. More like:

Tether:Bitfinex::K-Mart Gift Cards:The Fed

Except in this scenario both the fed and K-Mart are likely to be bankrupt.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hoodwinker posted:

How much of all Bitcoin is traded/held/sold/whatever'd on Bitfinex? How much of an effect will this have on the insane circus we know and love/hate?
I still want to know the answer to this. Is this some tiny corner of the market or the overwhelming majority of it or what?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I honestly don't understand why they had to bring in this other currency. I mean I get it -- it's a scam and people are dumb, but what was the attraction of having Tether currency?

I'm not even making this up, the whole idea of stuff like Tether and it's sister/cousin token/coins/currencies came from exchanges that had to issue something of promissory value in order to make their account holders whole after they were hacked and looted for millions of dollars.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm not even making this up, the whole idea of stuff like Tether and it's sister/cousin token/coins/currencies came from exchanges that had to issue something of promissory value in order to make their account holders whole after they were hacked and looted for millions of dollars.
i.e. they needed TETHER to convert BITCOINS into USD. The name makes sense, they're acting like middlemen between banks and BITCOIN exchanges.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Bro you got precision laser strike trolled with the "too much car for your lifestyle" comment

Never don't bite you know?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Never don't bite you know?

You should try.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ralith posted:

I still want to know the answer to this. Is this some tiny corner of the market or the overwhelming majority of it or what?

IIRC it's about ~10% of the market.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This seems like the best place for my question.

There is a new bank of America commercial about sending money to friends. In this commercial people seem to have trouble figuring their part of the bill.

Do restaurants in large cities not do separate checks? The ad makes it seem like figuring out what your part of the bill is super hard. What am i missing?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In Boston some will, some won't. Sometimes it comes down to the server themselves and if they're lazy about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

joebuddah posted:

There is a new bank of America commercial about sending money to friends. In this commercial people seem to have trouble figuring their part of the bill.

Do restaurants in large cities not do separate checks? The ad makes it seem like figuring out what your part of the bill is super hard. What am i missing?

A lot of people can't do basic math, which is a small part of why this thread exists.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

joebuddah posted:

It varies on restaurant. Some will split the checks but not 15 ways.

I like those little touchscreens they have in some chain restaurants now because they make it really easy to split up the bill and you don't even have to wait for the server to drop off the check.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

That's literally a thing that has existed. They charged money to make your own custom altcoin.
It's not unlike the ransomware services that let you create tailor made ransomware.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Uh I’m sorry if we’ve discussed this before, but

https://youtu.be/7RAZF4kJIh4

These people moved from Arizona to Chicago, bought a bunch of furniture because they moved in a car. They decided to take the train one stop to chipotle instead is driving, for the experience. They got yelled at by a homeless person and that caused them to move back to Arizona after not even 1 night in their apartment.

They broke their lease for the temporary apartment and their long term apartment, drove “2 or 3 days back” that night

He’s “business” is flipping houses.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

zelah posted:

These people moved from Arizona to Chicago, bought a bunch of furniture because they moved in a car. They decided to take the train one stop to chipotle instead is driving, for the experience. They got yelled at by a homeless person and that caused them to move back to Arizona after not even 1 night in their apartment.

They broke their lease for the temporary apartment and their long term apartment, drove “2 or 3 days back” that night

Ooh this made me fly into a rage!

"There are way easier targets all around us!"

Lol, dude, nah. you're the loving most pathetic, sheltered couple I have ever seen. This is the type of person suburbia breeds.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

joebuddah posted:

So basically Venmo

Venmo is convenient, it's an easy way to split checks when you don't want to have five separate checks or whatever, it's good when there's a cash only place and you don't have cash. I love Venmo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

zelah posted:

I could only make it half way. These are the two most sheltered people in the world.

Moving to Chicago and your first choice is food is a God dammed Chipotle, that's the most offensive part.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It's not a normal day if I don't talk to or get harassed by 2 or 3 homeless people in Providence, it's only BWM if you give them money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

brugroffil posted:

I could only make it half way. These are the two most sheltered people in the world.

Moving to Chicago and your first choice is food is a God dammed Chipotle, that's the most offensive part.
Seriously. You're near goddamn Loyola, surely you could find something that's not a Chipotle.

Chipotle aside, if you can't handle a homeless person being weird at you, you probably shouldn't live in a big city. And if your first thought at a crazy homeless person following you is "he's gonna shoot us! :byodood:", you probably should just lock yourself in your McMansion forever since the outside world is clearly too scary for you.

Also :laffo: at them having to explain how the L works, like stuff like "buying tickets" and "having to take stairs to the platform" are super-exotic concepts.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 23, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

zelah posted:

I live in Montana, a state with maybe a million people in it, and I can handle visiting a big city better then those two.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

paternity suitor posted:

So basically Venmo

Venmo is convenient, it's an easy way to split checks when you don't want to have five separate checks or whatever, it's good when there's a cash only place and you don't have cash. I love Venmo

Don't use those other payment apps! Cash.com!

Sorry, I've been listening to too many episodes of Pod Save America.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My (29f) sister (23f) ruined her credit ands blames me

OP is deleted but I found a cached version:

quote:

Tl;dr - sister bought me a birthday present with a credit card, never paid and is mad at me.

On phone, sorry for grammar/ format

This actually started last year. A week before my birthday, my dog of 8 years passed away. I was absolutely devastated. When my birthday came, my sister had all these plans to go out for dinner and shopping but i wasn't exactly in a celebratory mood, so i tried to get out of it. My sis kept pushing so i gave in and met up with her.

At her apartment she had a puppy, i was happy for her since she had been talking about wanting one for months. As I'm playing with the pup, she comes in the living room

Sis- happy birthday!
Me- oh, thanks
Sis- (points to the pup) no, happy.... birthday

Then it dawned on me that this pup was for me. I don't want to sound ungrateful but i was furious. I wasn't over the loss of my dog yet, i was living with my in-laws while we found our own place, my husband just got out of the military and hadn't found a job yet, we weren't ready for a puppy. I tried to explain this to her, but she didn't get it.

She told me a friend of hers had puppies so she got him for free, which was crazy because it was a purebred great Dane. I reluctantly accepted the pup, but wasn't exactly happy.

I took him home, my husband fell in love right away, so did my kids, mother in law wasn't happy because it was a puppy, but we made it work.

Fast forward almost a year, Ranger is my "little" shadow, I ended up bonding with him and he's s total mommy's boy. My sister is looking to buy a house and I've been helping her look. She went in one day for a loan and was denied. Her credit score was too low. I was at work when all of this happened but on break i had a lot of missed calls and messages. When i spoke to her it basically went like this....

Sis - what the gently caress! You hosed me over, i can't get a house now because i got you that dog! You were supposed to make the payments!!!

I was genuinely confused because, who makes payments on a dog?? She finally told me that she lied about her friend having the puppies, that she actually got him from a "land of pets" store using their credit system. That, i was supposed to take over payments when i took him in. All i could think was 'omg, you idiot'. I told her that i was in the middle of trying to move, just got a new job, i didn't plan any extra expenses that this was on her but she took it to a whole new level. She began blasting me on facebook, calling family to tell them how i screwed her over.

I dont know what to do here. I'm barely getting by right now with the move and all that jazz, i can't afford an additional $300 bill each month and i know she can't afford it either. Do i let her figure it out? Should i meet her in the middle, even though i didn't want him at first, nor did she discuss it with me?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

After a long journey to a new city, I can sort of see wanting something familiar. Not how I usually roll, even with a kid, but I don’t think it’s terrible.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I also love that the surprise unasked-for puppy present was the biggest, most space-needy dog possible.

More seriously, though, this whole puppies on credit / puppy repo thing seems to have been common enough and is kinda just far enough over the threshold of hosed up that maybe it'll get legislated against. (OK maybe if you didn't have a deeply dysfunctional government. Lol.)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I thought great Danes don't need a lot of space because that aren't that active?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Great Danes are humongous but yeah, the ones I've seen are couch potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FrozenVent posted:

Great Danes are humongous but yeah, the ones I've seen are couch potatoes.

The one I lived with liked to do sprinting laps of the very large yard, so YMMV.