Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if the earth was flat i could go to the beach right now and look across the ocean at portugal. alas i cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you live in the south of England you can, on a clear day, go to the cliffs and wave your dick at France.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you live in the south of England you can, on a clear day, go to the cliffs and wave your dick at France.

Well actually... you can do that even in pitch darkness. They just won't see it unless it's a clear day (and they have a superlarge telescope array :rimshot: )

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i like to believe that flat earthers were all just clever people making jokes some decades ago and with the internet this translated into idiots taking the jokes seriously and earnestly believing in them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people still believe anyone other than oswald killed kennedy, the moon landing was fake, aliens crashed at roswell, ghosts exist, bigfoot is real, and 9/11 was an inside job. the earth being flat is about as stupid as any of those.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

people still believe anyone other than oswald killed kennedy, the moon landing was fake, aliens crashed at roswell, ghosts exist, bigfoot is real, and 9/11 was an inside job. the earth being flat is about as stupid as any of those.

My personal favorite is that microchips are evidence of alien technology transfer at roswell.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Of course Patton Oswald killed Kennedy alone. Everyone knows that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elias_Maluco posted:

Coulndt he just like.. rent a plane (and hire a pilot) and go take a picture of earth's borders? I would be definite proof that earth is indeed a flat disc and seems a lot easier and less risky imo

Flexible windows :colbert:

When you go up high in a plane, the internal air pressure causes the windows to bow out slightly and become concave. This distorts your view out the window and makes the Earth appear curved.

In small planes, without internal pressure, the airframe flexing at high altitudes causes the same effect.

:boom:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 23, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ron Jeremy posted:

My personal favorite is that microchips are evidence of alien technology transfer at roswell.

drat man the aliens were real dicks if they gave us it in 1947 but made it so tricky we couldnt figure it out til like 1959. Whoever was in charge of alien-illuminati negotiation then should be fired.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It turned out that the negotiator was a lizard man sleeper agent who was angry we stopped the nazis reaching the hollow earth and sabotaged the trade as revenge

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

fishmech posted:

drat man the aliens were real dicks if they gave us it in 1947 but made it so tricky we couldnt figure it out til like 1959. Whoever was in charge of alien-illuminati negotiation then should be fired.

It'd be too obvious if microchips came around so soon after Roswell. The fact that they didn't is proof enough!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's no way to get through to people once they start believing in things like "Crisis Actors" is there? Once they've crossed that threshold it's probably impossible to get them back huh?
Sandy Hook Truthers claimed I don't exist, so I'm going to with yes.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
How many flat earthers are out there in small boats right now looking for the edge?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

yaffle posted:

How many flat earthers are out there in small boats right now looking for the edge?

Eight, according to the database.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I've been trying to google flat earther's explanations for stuff like horizons, timezones etc and have injured my brain reading their explanations, which mostly involve light actually travelling upwards in a curve.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Synthbuttrange posted:

So I've been trying to google flat earther's explanations for stuff like horizons, timezones etc and have injured my brain reading their explanations, which mostly involve light actually travelling upwards in a curve.

Your feeble, brainwashed sheep brain can't handle that kind of information yet. You need some crystals to understand it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

QuarkJets posted:

i like to believe that flat earthers were all just clever people making jokes some decades ago and with the internet this translated into idiots taking the jokes seriously and earnestly believing in them

I once had "President, Flat Earth Society - North Carolina Chapter" as part of my signature on usenet. While I didn't get a staggering number of emails earnestly asking me for membership info, I did get a few.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It'd be too obvious if microchips came around so soon after Roswell. The fact that they didn't is proof enough!

the famous point-contact transistor was invented at bell labs 5 months after roswell though :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

GWBBQ posted:

Sandy Hook Truthers claimed I don't exist, so I'm going to with yes.

Wouldn't a non-real person say THIS exact thing to act real? :confused:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flat-Earther's Plan to Launch Himself in Homemade Rocket Just Hit a Problem

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet (550 metres) high Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket - in an effort to prove that Earth is flat - said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to conduct it on public land.

GUBBMINT! :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Synthbuttrange posted:

Flat-Earther's Plan to Launch Himself in Homemade Rocket Just Hit a Problem

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet (550 metres) high Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket - in an effort to prove that Earth is flat - said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to conduct it on public land.

GUBBMINT! :argh:

Launch it anyway, worst case scenario is you don't get fined.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Launch it anyway, worst case scenario is you don't get fined.

Others have already pointed out that given the altitude of his rocket, he could have just hired a light aircraft to take him up. I just realized that he wouldn't even have had to do that. The Burj Khalifa is taller than his rocket would have gone. He literally could have taken an elevator to a high enough altitude. Then again, to get to that building, he would need to fly in a commercial airliner which would have been many times higher. So yeah, he's a very dumb person.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Or a very smart one, funding his rocketry hobby by grifting idiots :v:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Xarn posted:

Or a very smart one, funding his rocketry hobby by grifting idiots :v:

its this.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

So I guess holocaust denial is now in the conspiracy theory wheelhouse of spiritual new age guys. I just had to spend several agonizing days convincing several of them in my immediate community that

A)The holocaust was not an elaborate hoax perpetrated by Rothschild Zionist bankers and
B)They are in fact, being really racist by asserting this fact. ("No man, we don't hate jews, we hate the zionists!")

Even more disheartening was the amount of people jumping in to chastise me for suppressing their right to harmlessly ask questions :(

I shouldn't have been surprised, their Facebook walls are like an escalating series of increasingly ridiculous conspiracy theories.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Lugubrious! posted:

So I guess holocaust denial is now in the conspiracy theory wheelhouse of spiritual new age guys.

IIRC one of the more prominent alt-right figures did a lot of drugs and credits them in part for "getting woke". I'm not afraid of advocating people taking psychedelics and seeing through the bullshit of the mundane, but the crap that so many folks latch onto afterwards is very :smith:, there's a prevalent theme of contrarianism in the psychedelic scene. There's a lot of trippers who are balls deep into all the cliche conspiracies and I'm pretty sure that demographic constitutes a fair percentage of the sincere flat earthers. As with schizophrenia it's hard to tell if psychedelics are directly responsible for symptoms or if they just aggravate an underlying condition.

And to quote one of the guys doing the rounds as an "entheogen advocate" in Australia, in response to criticism on reddit:

Julian Palmer posted:

This label "holocaust denier" I think is used by people to distract people from actually thinking and investigating themselves the nuances and details related to emotionally charged topics like "the holocaust"

https://holocaustdenial.wtf/jewish-gas-chamber-hoax (not the actual domain)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Sausages posted:

IIRC one of the more prominent alt-right figures did a lot of drugs and credits them in part for "getting woke". I'm not afraid of advocating people taking psychedelics and seeing through the bullshit of the mundane, but the crap that so many folks latch onto afterwards is very :smith:, there's a prevalent theme of contrarianism in the psychedelic scene. There's a lot of trippers who are balls deep into all the cliche conspiracies and I'm pretty sure that demographic constitutes a fair percentage of the sincere flat earthers. As with schizophrenia it's hard to tell if psychedelics are directly responsible for symptoms or if they just aggravate an underlying condition.

And to quote one of the guys doing the rounds as an "entheogen advocate" in Australia, in response to criticism on reddit:

they are people who know that our current society is very very screwed up, but don't have any theoretical framework to deal with the realization so they pile up a bunch of nonsensical crap until they have what they perceive as a complete worldview

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
A disturbingly large number of alt-righters are convinced that a dude posting intentionally vague cryptic messages on 8chan is directing them to help fight the secret (meme?) war between Trump and the deep state. Also the weird phrasing in Trump's tweets is just coded messages, and Hillary and McCain have been arrested and are wearing ankle monitors. It all builds off of Pizzagate.

Oh yeah, also anyone on the right saying anything even remotely related to one of the common words in this guy's posts means they're secretly in the know.

It's fascinating but also real disturbing to try and understand. One of these dudes is going to convince himself Trump told him to shoot someone.

Here's one of their hangouts

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Oh, this seems healthy.

-A Trump fan

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Goon Danton posted:

Oh, this seems healthy.

-A Trump fan

To be honest, belittling trump supporters does make me feel good. They're such loving scum

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

vseslav.botkin posted:

Jethro's right, you haven't demonstrated it's "the entirety of the ultra elite" yet.

I mean, I went to mass when I was kid, but I wasn't molested and it's stupid to think EVERY priest is a pedophile. Similarly, there were definitely some real sickos in the Tory government, but that doesn't mean that all British politicians are and always have been pedophiles. Most importantly, I don't think Epstein was molesting underaged girls 100% of the time, which we know for a fact because it came up during the trial.

I mean, we have the flight logs. Don't you think it's just as likely some of these were just guys looking to cheat on their wives with prostitutes above the age of consent? Are you saying everybody on this list fucks kids? Kevin Spacey? Do you think Donald Trump is a pedophile?

To be clear: I am totally on board with the possibility of a massive secret elite pedophile network! But possible is not the same as probable.
I was searching through this thread for something else, and I just want to say the part of this post I bolded did not age well.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You guys into black goo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88BcgzzcTc

According to Harald’s research, an invading version of what is knows as “black goo” landed on our planet roughly 80,000 years ago. This black goo could be considered a type of alien A.I. or a “seed device” for creating life within a biosphere. This invader does not belong here, and has been attempting to unpack it’s program to the determent of our natural order. It contains remnants of it’s original lifeforms, spider type beings, which have been coaxing the elite into carrying out their plans for Earth bound manifestation for as long as we know. Our energies have been used as feed, and our environment has been tweaked to make the people weak. The plan to get these higher dimensional Archonic beings to “hook” into their human husks is getting closer all the time, and is at the heart of the transhumanist agenda.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
That's just the plot to like half the run of The X-Files.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dude you fell asleep watching prometheus.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Fried Watermelon posted:

You guys into black goo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88BcgzzcTc

According to Harald’s research, an invading version of what is knows as “black goo” landed on our planet roughly 80,000 years ago. This black goo could be considered a type of alien A.I. or a “seed device” for creating life within a biosphere. This invader does not belong here, and has been attempting to unpack it’s program to the determent of our natural order. It contains remnants of it’s original lifeforms, spider type beings, which have been coaxing the elite into carrying out their plans for Earth bound manifestation for as long as we know. Our energies have been used as feed, and our environment has been tweaked to make the people weak. The plan to get these higher dimensional Archonic beings to “hook” into their human husks is getting closer all the time, and is at the heart of the transhumanist agenda.

No, but you said the word goo, and there's a related video explaining that they're demons, so uh down.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Polygynous posted:

That's just the plot to like half the run of The X-Files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Skies

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I understand how you could arrive at Holocaust denial - either you're an actual Nazi and in order to justify your ideology you have to show that the original nazis weren't the greatest monsters to ever live, or you've convinced yourself that the Holocaust is simply a hoax used by powerful Jews and/or the state of Israel to shield themselves from criticism.

The problem of course is that the Holocaust might just be the single most well-documented crime in existence. We've got the minutes from the Wansee conference where Nazi high-ups are on record saying outright "We need to solve the jewish question, and by 'solve' we mean kill them all". We've got recordings of the speech Himmler held before the assembled SS command where he goes "Killing all the Jews is necessary, but no-one can ever know we're doing it". We've got public newspaper articles, books and radio broadcasts where Hitler, Göbbels and other high-ranking nazis are openly and proudly saying that one of their goals is to (in one way or another) get rid of all Jews in Europe. We have court testimonies of not only camp inmates, but of camp commanders, guards and doctors, none of who ever denied the purpose of the camps or what took place there - only their own personal responsibility for it. We have the loving time tables of the trains that brought people in, and we have the cargo manifests for how many loving people they crammed into the cattle carts. We have the public records of the Nazi regime stripping away the rights and legal protection of Jews over the course of a decade, and then shipping them off to the east. We have the official census showing that between 1930 and 1945, some 6 million jews just vanish off the face of the Earth.

What the gently caress, exactly, are you suggesting happpened to those 6 million jews?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How much of it is being in favor of the Holocaust but not wanting to admit it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The Holocaust never happened! Also it would be great if it did!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's also a hosed-up thing - like, the Nazis were really, really open with wanting to kill the Jews. So we have a regime hell-bent on destroying an entire people, talking openly about how they want to kill this entire people, taking their property, stripping away their rights and shipping them off to camps in occupied lands. We know this because the actual Nazis were bragging about doing this. But for some weird reason they never, after going through all this, got around to actually killing the Jews?
Like, if you could travel back in time to 1933 and ask the Nazi high-ups "You wanna put jews in gas chambers?" they'd be like "Hell yeah that's 100% our thing".

But the conspiracy theory hinges on them not actually doing it. Because we as a society have decided that the industrialized murder of 6 million people is the most supremely hosed-up thing you can do. So if you want to make the Nazis look like the good guys ie if you are in favor of destroying the entire Jewish people, you have to deny that the Nazis actually tried to do that.

• Locked thread