Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I got a pretty great deal, but it has been sitting unused for years. It plays back alright, but definitely has some warble even on retail cassettes. It's also slow to start moving its mechanics (play, rw, ff) and is making some funky noises.

The unfortunate nature of this beast is that it pretty much has to be refurbished if it's been sitting idle for more than a few years, and the cost to refurbish it approaches the value of a fully working one, which is just whacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Hot drat. You lucky dog.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That is a boatload of buttons & knobs for a tape deck.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Yeah... I should probably figure out what they all do.

The best part is it came with the RM-20 wired remote, which is apparently stupid rare and expensive

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

pzy posted:

Oh boy what'd I get myself into

A deep deep hole.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Well hello this thing in the dumpster at work, how did you end up there?

It's a Pioneer SX-750. It turns on, most of the light bulbs work, and the FM tuning is responsive. Will try it with source and speakers tomorrow.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Picked the fisher 400cx and the sansui g9000 up from the stereo shop.

https://youtu.be/U67tGVL7wBI

Now to sell them off

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Anyone know if they make an extension cable for both a ground and the rca cables? Yes I know it shouldn’t be longer than 6 feet due to degradation in quality, but my turntable cable is like 2 feet long. Had to re arrange and no longer is the table right next to the receiver.

I scoured amazon to no avail.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

They make female to female extensions or just use barrel connectors.

For the gound just splice in some wire

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also can just ground to something more conveniently placed

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

mattdev posted:

Anyone know if they make an extension cable for both a ground and the rca cables? Yes I know it shouldn’t be longer than 6 feet due to degradation in quality, but my turntable cable is like 2 feet long. Had to re arrange and no longer is the table right next to the receiver.

I scoured amazon to no avail.

Buy an automotive RCA cable with a built in trigger wire for amp turn on and run a pair of female to female adaptors if your turntable has a hard wired cable like mine does.

They come in 3 and 5 meters usually, the hardest part will be finding one that isn't translucent blue.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

Don Dongington posted:

Buy an automotive RCA cable with a built in trigger wire for amp turn on and run a pair of female to female adaptors if your turntable has a hard wired cable like mine does.

They come in 3 and 5 meters usually, the hardest part will be finding one that isn't translucent blue.

This seems like a great option. Not too worried about color since it will be behind shelves.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
i have a chance to buy a califone classroom model record player for $125. it runs great, sounds fine, and my biggest requirements are that it's rugged and doesn't take up much space. is there anything major i'm missing that will make me regret this in the short term? i'm well aware that eventually i'll probably want a full stereo setup but right now i just don't have anywhere to put it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ijzer posted:

i have a chance to buy a califone classroom model record player for $125. it runs great, sounds fine, and my biggest requirements are that it's rugged and doesn't take up much space. is there anything major i'm missing that will make me regret this in the short term? i'm well aware that eventually i'll probably want a full stereo setup but right now i just don't have anywhere to put it.

Do you like music and care if it sounds like you're listening to it over the phone or not?

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Do you like music and care if it sounds like you're listening to it over the phone or not?

i currently only listen to music on my phone so i guess it should be fine then.

thank you for yr extremely pertinent and helpful advice, friend.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ijzer posted:

That seems wildly high for a Califone, did they get rare when I wasn’t paying attention or something?

They sound like dirt but get really loud. My partner has one and loves it - but he uses it in a preschool classroom where it belongs.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

That seems wildly high for a Califone, did they get rare when I wasn’t paying attention or something?

They sound like dirt but get really loud. My partner has one and loves it - but he uses it in a preschool classroom where it belongs.

I looked it up on ebay and surprisingly enough it seems like that's the going rate for a mint-looking one from the 70s/80s or a working example from earlier decades.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

i mean, my assumption is that anything i get that's all-in-one is not going to sound amazing. i've listened to a couple records on it and it sounds good enough for what i want to do, which is to actually listen to some old records i own for sentimental reasons. if i had the space for a nicer setup i'd do that but i need something small that is easy to throw into a closet when i need the table back. i mostly just want to make sure they aren't known for blowing up or whatever.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ijzer posted:

i mean, my assumption is that anything i get that's all-in-one is not going to sound amazing. i've listened to a couple records on it and it sounds good enough for what i want to do, which is to actually listen to some old records i own for sentimental reasons. if i had the space for a nicer setup i'd do that but i need something small that is easy to throw into a closet when i need the table back. i mostly just want to make sure they aren't known for blowing up or whatever.

When I was about 3 or 4 I urinated on one for some reason and it still works 27 years later.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When I was about 3 or 4 I urinated on one

BRB heading to the audiophile thread.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ColdPie posted:

BRB heading to the audiophile thread.

It really adds to the *warmth*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm unfamiliar with the brand, but that seems like a steep price from a cursory eBay browse. What model does it say? Anyway, if you like it you can buy it. With a little legwork you could probably find better for less, however. Honestly, a lot of "music centre" bits of kit sell for peanuts because nobody wants them. You could even probably get a "premium" modern Crosley player for sub $50.

I think you're inheriting curiosity + vintage value onto what you're paying.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ijzer posted:

i currently only listen to music on my phone so i guess it should be fine then.

thank you for yr extremely pertinent and helpful advice, friend.

Try listening on a landline. Your new record player will sound like that.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Try listening on a landline. Your new record player will sound like that.

okay, so what should i get instead? requirements are: less than $150, minimal footprint, doesn't require any additional gear, robust enough to be put in a closet, potentially with things stacked on it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Check out the Crosley Cruiser. Though I'd recommend using it with powered external speakers if you have some. It doesnt require them. Just be sure to swap the sapphire stylus with the included diamond replacement stylus.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ijzer posted:

okay, so what should i get instead? requirements are: less than $150, minimal footprint, doesn't require any additional gear, robust enough to be put in a closet, potentially with things stacked on it.

If you have requirements like that why not stick to digital media?

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

Check out the Crosley Cruiser. Though I'd recommend using it with powered external speakers if you have some. It doesnt require them. Just be sure to swap the sapphire stylus with the included diamond replacement stylus.

rad, yeah, i'll probably just go with that instead. should work well enough for my purposes. thanks!

BigFactory posted:

If you have requirements like that why not stick to digital media?

i own about six albums on vinyl for sentimental reasons (my dad's favorites etc.) and it'd be nice to listen to them sometimes. sorry i got defensive about it. i know you're probably just trying to stop me from wasting money on garbage. i just don't care if it's garbage is the thing, i'm never going to care if the sound quality on kenny loggins and jim messina's collab album is any good. i just want to listen to it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Can you guys recommend me a good phono stage?

Budget $50-200
Sound quality is priority, if you know a stage that works well with a particular cart, please mention that.
Features like USB would be awesome so I can rip tracks, but aren't absolutely critical.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Can you guys recommend me a good phono stage?

Budget $50-200
Sound quality is priority, if you know a stage that works well with a particular cart, please mention that.
Features like USB would be awesome so I can rip tracks, but aren't absolutely critical.

NAD PP2-series. I have a PP2e which sounds great to my ears.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have the Cambridge Audio Azur 651p, which sounds great and I basically got because I thought I might get a moving coil cartridge at some point, which I still haven’t done.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I have an auditechnica LP 60 which has a phono pre amp. How bad an idea is it just to connect to powered speakers rather than an amp to unpowered speakers?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

c0burn posted:

I have an auditechnica LP 60 which has a phono pre amp. How bad an idea is it just to connect to powered speakers rather than an amp to unpowered speakers?
There's nothing that makes that a bad idea, unless you wanted to use the amp as a hub to connect other devices. That would be the only added value.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shouldn’t be any difference. The powered speakers just have a little amp(s) of their own. I have a temporary setup with a phone prestage going into the aux in of some Mackie CR3s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

evobatman posted:

NAD PP2-series. I have a PP2e which sounds great to my ears.
I was looking at these.

Dogen posted:

I have the Cambridge Audio Azur 651p, which sounds great and I basically got because I thought I might get a moving coil cartridge at some point, which I still haven’t done.
I considered this as well.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Has anyone ever used the TurnTableLabs branded ones?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I see and understand the hate for the Califone, but what if your wife already bought you one as a present?

The one she gave me works, but the speed is just a tad slow. I didn't know if there was a good resource for cleaning these up and calibrating the speed. And she only paid $50 for mine.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Kramdar posted:

I see and understand the hate for the Califone, but what if your wife already bought you one as a present?

The one she gave me works, but the speed is just a tad slow. I didn't know if there was a good resource for cleaning these up and calibrating the speed. And she only paid $50 for mine.

Most (if not all) of them are idler wheel designs, the wheel is likely hard, or if you’re lucky bearings just need some greasing. Pop the platter off (there’s a small c-clip holding it on) and clean/re-lube moving parts to start. Some people have had luck with rubber rejuvenator to get the idler wheel supple again, and there are people who will re-rubber your wheel.

I think most of them have a service guide inside the case, or at least a schematic, some might have a pot to adjust the motor speed.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Kramdar posted:

Check out radiotvphononut's YouTube channel. He fixes up old Califone turntables.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone seen a piece of furniture like this, but where the larger middle shelf is big enough for a turntable? the 17.5" w/d is just a bit too small due to the thickness of the wood because of the shelving above it. They do a version without the upper shelves, but I like those. Such frustration when something is just that little bit too small to be perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEUK8RQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3E4TA0YRHD1FO&colid=1KCVE80BTOE03&psc=0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it's anything like most particle board furniture, you can just not install that one shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cojawfee posted:

If it's anything like most particle board furniture, you can just not install that one shelf

....and have the whole thing be an unstable wobbly mess when you fail to add a key structural element, like the cardboard backing that people often throw out.