Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

That's from Clarissa, a comic about child molestation... from the victim's POV.

To say it's rather depressing is putting it mildly.

It's also mad racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gowb posted:

It's also mad racist

Wait what

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Please ignore gowb, he frequently gets away from the staff and somehow manages to find a computer to post from

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

https://imgur.com/a/WEbM3

It's part of a sequence that's using intentionally stale jokes for ironic effect, but it's still pretty racist.

Edit: Ugh, I always mess up the BBcode for images.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 23, 2017

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Looks like pro-neutrality cartoons aren't immune from "this cartoonist has no idea how net neutrality works"

Net neutrality makes it possible for small startups to compete alongside established players. It's actually a pretty good metaphor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

https://imgur.com/a/WEbM3

It's part of a sequence that's using intentionally stale jokes for ironic effect, but it's still pretty racist.
Huh. I had no idea there were more of these than just her at the dinner table saying she was molested. It seemed like a pretty one-off thing to me.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Walker posted:

It's a pretty crappy cartoon, so I don't blame people for not understanding it. "His name is Charlie Rose, so I drew a rose! Get it? Another Pulitzer, please!"

Do you want Garrison? Cause this is how you get Garrison.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

Please ignore gowb, he frequently gets away from the staff and somehow manages to find a computer to post from

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: Ugh, I always mess up the BBcode for images.

actually i'm really smart and cool

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
TBH every time I read that comic it takes a lot of effort to scrub it from my mind. The racist page is the least likely thing for me to remember from it.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

nerd plus rage posted:

TBH every time I read that comic it takes a lot of effort to scrub it from my mind. The racist page is the least likely thing for me to remember from it.

That happened to me the first time i read it yeah. Its a really good depiction of the horrors of abuse but that doesn't excuse it from really stupid racial humor
I really dont see how thats even intended to be ironic, like her mom is in jail and her tons of siblings are named stuff like lemonjello, orangello, and nokia and she talks in ebonics with a question mark at the end of each sentence. what the heck.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It also acknowledges the differentials in expectations in education, so it's probably trying to come from a good place, but I personally don't feel like it's justified. But I also feel like it's worthwhile overall, so :shrug:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gowb posted:

I really dont see how thats even intended to be ironic, like her mom is in jail and her tons of siblings are named stuff like lemonjello, orangello, and nokia and she talks in ebonics with a question mark at the end of each sentence. what the heck.

It's like, the first third of the comic is a bait and switch. It's played like it's an extremely low quality hey arnold type setup but all the jokes are bad and the quips are off and the hilarious characters aren't actually funny and the mean stuff is mean mean, not funny mean. I think you are supposed to imagine it with like, an overbearing laugh track. Then the sitcom mom and sitcom dad come and do sitcomy things, and you are supposed to kinda take a little bit to realize you've been reading a couple pages of abuse before realizing "wait, what?". Like the sitcom type jokes are intentionally way below poo poo tier to make you read a couple pages of hi-larious jokes about french toast before it snaps you back from "ooh wacky clarissa, always eating too much french toast, this is stupid" into "no wait, this is actually abusive" to realizing what the comic really is.

Like you are supposed to find the early jokes unfunny and repulsive. It's set up like this is a sitcom but it's not a good one. you are supposed to dislike the jokes. strongly. If it was filmed they'd play the same laughtrack for the unfunny ebonics joke as her calling the chipmonk mimi and trying to get the teacher to get that she is saying "it's me" and that wacky teacher not getting it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's like, the first third of the comic is a bait and switch. It's played like it's an extremely low quality hey arnold type setup but all the jokes are bad and the quips are off and the hilarious characters aren't actually funny and the mean stuff is mean mean, not funny mean. I think you are supposed to imagine it with like, an overbearing laugh track. Then the sitcom mom and sitcom dad come and do sitcomy things, and you are supposed to kinda take a little bit to realize you've been reading a couple pages of abuse before realizing "wait, what?". Like the sitcom type jokes are intentionally way below poo poo tier to make you read a couple pages of hi-larious jokes about french toast before it snaps you back from "ooh wacky clarissa, always eating too much french toast, this is stupid" into "no wait, this is actually abusive" to realizing what the comic really is.

Like you are supposed to find the early jokes unfunny and repulsive. It's set up like this is a sitcom but it's not a good one. you are supposed to dislike the jokes. strongly. If it was filmed they'd play the same laughtrack for the unfunny ebonics joke as her calling the chipmonk mimi and trying to get the teacher to get that she is saying "it's me" and that wacky teacher not getting it.
This is among the more tortured explanations to excuse a bad, racist joke.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

This is among the more tortured explanations to excuse a bad, racist joke.

Like do you think you are supposed to laugh at the joke? Like they decided to include one actual joke in the whole comic about a little girl getting raped that they intended to be actually funny and that joke was a decades old generic racist joke? The whole first part of the whole comic is just some degenerate sitcom type situations that culminate in one going on and on past where a sitcom would stop to reveal what the actual story is.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get the sexual abuse thing from that page?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Turtlicious posted:

I don't get the sexual abuse thing from that page?

Part one of the story is bad sitcom hijinks, then it’s her sitcom mom making her her favorite breakfast which she eats more and more of until she vomits on it and is force to continue eating it, at which point you realize the comic is a kinda serious comic, and the first section ends with her trying hard to hint to the oblivious teacher that her drawing of a chipmunk and wolf represents her and her dad and the teacher not getting it and laughing that it looks like sex and that darn kid must just not know better.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

D.N. Nation posted:

I mean, no? They don't?

How the gently caress do you get owned by your own strawwoman?

Came here to post this.

Only Rall could argue with a caricature of the other side and lose.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

So what do vegan members of parliament do? Do they have special leather-free versions? WHY DO I CARE ABOUT THIS?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like do you think you are supposed to laugh at the joke? Like they decided to include one actual joke in the whole comic about a little girl getting raped that they intended to be actually funny and that joke was a decades old generic racist joke? The whole first part of the whole comic is just some degenerate sitcom type situations that culminate in one going on and on past where a sitcom would stop to reveal what the actual story is.
That whole first bit serves no real humorous point. Clarissa isn't some kind of parody of sitcoms: it's just showing both how the abused and their family can put on a facade of normality to the outside world and how we as the outside world can easily miss subtle signs that things are amiss (in this case, the teacher and Clarissa's drawing).

If even we take this massive leap that Clarissa is framed as a send-up of sitcoms, complete with phantom laughtracks and...Hey Arnold jokes?...it still sucks because there's not only a bunch of generic, lovely sitcom jokes you could mine that aren't also used as ammunition against black people, but ones that read more easily as sitcoms. Not to mention that the joke doesn't do anything for the point of the comic. It's just this mean-spirited jab that doesn't inform us any more about Clarissa, her family, or something. It's not like it's something her mom said to really play up what WASPy fucks Clarissa lives with, or the teacher butchering the pronunciations or forgetting the girl's mom is in jail to show how little the teacher cares about her students (and thus why Clarissa can't get any help). It's a very obvious stab at poor black people and those WACKY names they give each other before getting into the meat of the comic. Like an appetizer that involves burning the waiter's hand.

Clarissa is pretty drat old now, so I'm not going to condemn Death Ray as a vile racist. poo poo, 15 years ago I was probably much worse. But I'm really just pointing out the ridiculous lengths we'll go to in order to defend lovely stuff, because we don't improve and grow as people by bending over backwards to invent deep, hidden reasons to explain why dumb racist thing isn't dumb and racist.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 23, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gray hair lady is a more advanced player of the metagame. Nothing can be acomplished destroying narratives, because naturen hates void. But you can subvert or replace a narrative.

Conan favorite color is pink:
"Pink is the color of my enemy guts, thats why is cool."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I like it that they keep failing at this.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Tei posted:

Conan favorite color is pink:
"Pink is the color of my enemy guts, thats why is cool."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Do kids even know of Conan the Barbarian, let alone Conan the Librarian?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno how to pronounce “k-crunt”. Can someone IPA it for me?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

a night at the opera

hexachord
Nov 5, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

[kʰəˈkʰrɒnt] ... maybe, english IPA isn't my specialty.

Have an Icelandic politoon:

Lack of parliamentary majority paralyzes society.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Mallard and Molly see Mr. Noseworthy, Chantel, Dave, and Rush only once a year, at Thanksgiving.

Chip Bok posted:

Senator Al Franken says he won’t resign. Instead, he’s spending Thanksgiving in reflection.

Actually, I thought his staged grope gag was kind of funny. In a stupid 12 year old kind of way. True, Franken was 55 at the time. But maybe the joke is he’s not grabbing boobs. He’s grabbing a flak jacket.

Not that that makes it ok.

And the snoozing Leeann Tweeden didn’t sign up to be a straight gal for a photo gag. No doubt it was humiliating.

Maybe Al is reflecting on Hot Lips Houlihan. A gag proving her natural blondeness was the big scene in Robert Altman’s iconic movie M*A*S*H. (Here’s the scene.) Now that would be humiliating.

But not so humiliating that feminist Alan Alda wouldn’t go on to star in the popular tv series based on the same movie.

As Harvey Weinstein said in his non-apology apology, you have to understand it was a different time:

I came of age in the ’60s and ’70s, when all the rules about behavior and workplaces were different. That was the culture then.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

Chip Bok posted:

Charles Manson died this week, in a hospital. He was 83.

He and his cult of followers, the Manson Family, committed the Tate – LaBianca murders near Los Angeles in 1969. They killed 7 people including actress Sharon Tate. She was 8 1/2 months pregnant.

After killing Tate they smeared the word pig on the walls with her blood. Then they sat down to a “family” dinner.

Kevin Williamson reminds us that Bernardine Dohrn, Jerry Rubin and other ’60s people thought Manson was cool. Dohrn is the wife of Obama pal Bill Ayers. She went on to become a law professor at Northwestern University. Here’s what she had to say about the murders:

“First they killed those pigs, then they ate dinner in the same room with them, then they even shoved a fork into a victim’s stomach. Wild!”

No, that’s not Jonathan Livingston Seagull in the picture.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's pronounced by snapping a bloody flesh covered bone in half with your bare hands.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I'm thankful that you will die making GBS threads out your liver, Drunky

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is he making GBS threads on Native Americans who for obvious reasons aren't big fans of the holiday?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Lodin posted:

Is he making GBS threads on Native Americans who for obvious reasons aren't big fans of the holiday?

I doubt it was authored with that level of intention but you can certainly read it that way. Either way, Eat poo poo Tinsley

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I laughed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hate Math because has too much Irrationality and imagination and has not connection with reality

hexachord posted:

[kʰəˈkʰrɒnt] ... maybe, english IPA isn't my specialty.

Have an Icelandic politoon:

Lack of parliamentary majority paralyzes society.

Love this one so much that I am going to steal it to criticize this verbal abuse we suffer.

Everyone in america watch the superbowl.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

This remind me, since this cartoon is about the intelligence of the typical kindergartner, I recently saw a documentary about how the polybromine-based flame retardants used ubiquitously in the USA for the last 25 years are also mental retardants, causing side effects such as IQ degradation, attention deficit disorder, and Rett syndrome autism. Plus other fun effects like asthma and thyroid cancer.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

I molest Roy

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like Bok's "Franken won't resign, but shouldn't because it was funny and there was nothing wrong with it. Look at those hypocritical liberals watching MASH! what was I saying again!"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/933340397677498368

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lodin posted:

He's making GBS threads on anyone who is advocating people make an effort not to inadvertently insult others and to be inclusive of their cultural or religious beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

• Locked thread