Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

shepard.shouldgo posted:

I can’t do tomorrow’s update but going forward I can help with this

A suggestion to make this easier: I've got a column in the "template" sheet of my "roster stuff for subpar" I shared with you like two months ago.

That column has, in row order,

Img code for logo
Img code for banner of team 1 (bath Rakers)
Five blank rows (where i will eventually paste the calendar, DH, noDH, pitching,defense screenshots)
Img code for banner of team 2 (Brooklyn, i think?)
And so on.

That way all I have to do is quickly take the screenshots in the same order (easy if you do it from the calendar and just go alphabetically), quickly batch in irfanview, send to rightload, then paste the rightload output into the template file.

...and as I write this, I realize I could automate the merge of the two files (template, rightload) and save about a. minute each update.

Long story short, this can be made easy and leave smasher free to do the thing that differentiates the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs lose, Zephyrs unite

I don't even know.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheMcD posted:

There's a bit of an issue with Mogul showing a weird lineup when I go into the lineup page from the main screen. The actual lineup is the way you defined it in your original roster post.

That's cool. I still would like to change it to what I just posted, though. I forgot the EC is a magical place where Luis Gonzalez can be good.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
No, Idaho generally tends to get my hopes up for a month or two and then crater horribly. I believe I have at least 10 posts of "wait what how the gently caress" in regards to early successes of previous iterations of the Taters.

We'll see how this one works out though. My guess? Not well.

Clangbang
Jun 3, 2016
(1)Robinson becomes 3B in all lineups

(2)Swap Ford and Stottlemyre

(3)Platoon Tony Gwynn younger (Vs RHP) with Tony Gwynn elder(vs LHP)

(4) Lombardi becomes PC to Clemens, replacing any other PCs

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No titles move.

Also I can assist with the mechanics of that if you want. I probably missed all the discussion in Discord though.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Put in Friend at SP5 since Pedro is injured for 2 weeks.

I really don't want to do this, but I think I gotta get the sore players some extra rest and hope the tired players don't go sore before the off day.

vs RHP
CF - Ashburn
1B - Black Frank Thomas
RF - Aaron
C - Pizzaman
LF - Musial
SS - Banks
3B - Mathews
2B - Nomar

vs LHP
LF - Ashburn
2B - Hornsby
RF - Aaron
C - Pizzaman
1B - Black Frank Thomas
CF - Mays
SS - Banks
3B - White Frank Thomas

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

champs retain!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

please banish Bill Lee to the land of wind and ghosts so that mogul has no access to putting him in to games. also i feel like the team might steal have R.A. Dickey in the minors and if so also banish him to the land of wind and ghosts.

code:
vs RHP - DH

1. Cool Papa Bell - CF
2. Ken Williams - LF
3. Babe Ruth - DH
4. Johnny Mize - 1B
5. Alex Rodriguez - 3B
6. Yogi Berra - C
7. Lou Whitaker - 2B
8. Johnny Pesky - SS
9. Ty Cobb - RF

vs LHP - DH

1. Cool Papa Bell - CF
2. Ken Williams - LF
3. Babe Ruth - DH
4. Hank Greenberg - 1B
5. Alex Rodriguez - 3B
6. Cal Ripken Jr - SS
7. Wally Schang - C
8. Lou Whitaker - 2B
9. Ty Cobb - RF
code:
Rotation

SP1 Christy Mathewson
SP2 Slim Sallee
SP3 Bill Bernhard
SP4 Rube Waddell
SP5 Addie Joss

LR Claude Hendrix

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FairGame posted:

A suggestion to make this easier: I've got a column in the "template" sheet of my "roster stuff for subpar" I shared with you like two months ago.

That column has, in row order,

Img code for logo
Img code for banner of team 1 (bath Rakers)
Five blank rows (where i will eventually paste the calendar, DH, noDH, pitching,defense screenshots)
Img code for banner of team 2 (Brooklyn, i think?)
And so on.

That way all I have to do is quickly take the screenshots in the same order (easy if you do it from the calendar and just go alphabetically), quickly batch in irfanview, send to rightload, then paste the rightload output into the template file.

...and as I write this, I realize I could automate the merge of the two files (template, rightload) and save about a. minute each update.

Long story short, this can be made easy and leave smasher free to do the thing that differentiates the league.

Personally, I make my screenshots in Irfanview directly using the "Capture/Screenshot" option under "Options" (removing the need to batch process them), upload them using XShare (which in your case would be Rightload), then use AdmiralCurtiss's RightloadURLAutoReplace tool to change placeholders like [EC23-March-001] to the link for the file EC23-March-001.JPG. I run the replacer with a text file with the stats images, go back into the update and bulk replace all [img] tags with [timg] ones, then run the replacer a second time on a text file with the banners, which stay un-timg'd.

That would be a workflow that would automate the merging process, but since I don't use the script, I don't know how far exactly it goes in creating the update file.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kensei posted:

Wife is at work so I will help her out with an updated lineup post...

Chapman for Davis
Dickey to C, Torre Personal C for Gibson Sr

Best Lineup vs both
CF Speaker
LF Chapman
1B Gehrig
RF Ruth
DH Killebrew
C Dickey
3B Torre (use Sewell when Gibson Sr is starting)
2B Whitaker
SS Trammell

I cannot do this, unfortunately. Mogul reacts poorly to personal catchers having other positions. It clones them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

SUBPAR LEAGUE WEEK 23 INJURY REPORT

It's Thanksgiving, everyone! The day where there are no injuries!

Wait, I'm receiving breaking news...

BATH RAKERS:
Al Simmons - well, not like you're around anyway. (OUT FOR SEASON)

DRAGON WARRIOR POKEMONSTARS
JR Reechard - Had a stroke! (12 DAYS)

ENIX SLIMES
Wade Boggs - I'm sorry. (OUT FOR REGULAR SEASON)

THE FIGHTIN' JEBS
Urban Shocker - The real urban shocker is how poorly JEB! performed in cities! (OUT FOR SEASON)

GRAND GOOGNOL
Edgar Martinez - There must always be one key hitter on the DL. (6 DAYS)

JOLIET JAILBIRDS
I made your lineup changes but totally forgot to swap out Martinez for Friend. Todd Worrell ended up starting for some reason and threw 5 scoreless. Didn't get hurt or anything. I just wanted to point this out because when I saw Pedro Martinez among your injured I said "ah gently caress I hope this didn't cost him."

MEXICO CITY MEXICUTIONERS
Lou Whitaker - That's going to make your late push a bit harder. (11 DAYS)

VIETNAM BIG DADDIES
Jon Lester - Holy poo poo, Jon Lester has been pitching for you a nd actually doing pretty well! (OUT FOR REGULAR SEASON)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FairGame posted:

I cannot do this, unfortunately. Mogul reacts poorly to personal catchers having other positions. It clones them.

Ok just start Sewell at 3B full time then please!

poo poo you already posted the injuries. Next week I guess.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Crows win rest retain

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kensei posted:

Ok just start Sewell at 3B full time then please!

poo poo you already posted the injuries. Next week I guess.

It's what I did anyway.

Also, TMM: now that I look closer, Worrell started that game at the very end of last week. With the off day in the middle of this week, the AI just skipped Pedro's spot outright since you had enough regular starters to go every game on full rest.

I will fix it for this week.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving folks! I'm thankful for HONKBAL!!! and all my super league friends!!!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FairGame posted:

It's what I did anyway.

:hf:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

gonna take a page from the president and wish a happy thanksgiving to all the haters and losers.

You know which you are.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

happy thanksgiving ya'll. I'm super thankful for this group and if someone teaches me how to do the things Smasher wants to make his job easier - I'll totally be up for helping out!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Happy appropriate secular holiday to you all!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Put Ott back in the Slimes lineup for Averill
Put Brown back in rotation for Joss

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXIII, Week 23 Results: 23.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Let me tell you a story. It's a good one, because it's true.

Back in the day, graduates from Cambridge and Oxford could graduate with certain levels of academic honors if they had good enough grades. I believe there were first-class, second-class and third-class honors, and anything below that, you just got the degree with no honors.

So, that meant that, for each level of honors, one student had to have the lowest grades to receive that level of honors without falling to a lower level. It became a tradition to award these barely successful students with a wooden spoon, which became more elaborate as the decades passed.

By the beginning of the 20th Century, the practice was stopped, as the administration of the universities thought it was overly cruel. Remember, this is the early 20th Century, when it was considered totes cool to conquer entire continents for their raw materials, and no one could see how nationalism could be a bad thing.

In any event, it's the sort of cruelty the Super-League needs more, so here are the first 22 teams that have retroactively won wooden spoons for being the worst team in each season to survive.

Super-League I
Juneau Juggernauts (75-79)
Owner: factorialite

The Juggernauts finished with a record just one game better than the Bangers, which would have been more interesting. Alas, the Juggs did just a little bit worst, so I need to talk about them, instead.

The Juggernauts actually hung around for a while, lasting all of the way until Super-League VII, when factorialite, ever the dreamer, decided to give the whole Quad-Foxx thing a try. They never did end up winning their division, but did win a wildcard once, in Super-League IV, where the W's bounced them in three games.

As for the SLI Juggs, they had HoJo in LF, Lou Brock in CF, and Darryl Strawberry in RF. So, if a ball got hit in the outfield, they were straight-up hosed. That said, the team that finished two games behind the Juggs, the Fighting Mongooses, had Martin Prado and Yunel Escobar as their starting middle infield, so it's not as if I can say that the Juggs were all that unworthy.

Super-League II
Juneau Juggernauts (79-83) (2)
Owner: factorialite
Seattle SuperSonics (79-83)
Owner: C. Everett Koop

Yeah, the Juggs were never exactly a team of destiny, were they?

As for the Sonics, Super-League II was actually the only time the Sonics finished with a losing record. Otherwise, they almost won the division the next two seasons, getting bounced by the W's in a tiebreaker in each season, and they finally broke through with a pair of division titles that never quite got them through to the finals.

The SLII Sonics, as you might guess from the name, used a bunch of Mariners, of the 1995 variety. The started Tino Martinez, A-Rod, Edgar Martinez and Ken Griffey in their starting lineup, and all of them actually performed pretty okay, all things considered. They also used Kyle Farnsworth as a key member of their bullpen, which kind of explains why they almost got killed. Their pitching sucked, to the point where Randy Johnson, then as now a highly combustible pitcher in the Super-League, was their ace.

I miss Koop.

Super-League III
Oyster Cult Blues (76-86)
Owner: mrnoun

Hey, look, it's the first Wooden Spoon winner to go on to win a Super-League title. Two of them, in fact. Fun fact, the Oyster Cult Blues name came into being because the name mrnoun chose for the EC, the "Provincetown Pink Hats", was so terrible that it could not be allowed to persist.

A lot like the Juggs and Sonics, the Blues were hit-first, pitch-never team. Their rotation was, and it's hard to believe they survived this, Vida Blue/Jack Morris/Ken Holtzman/Curt Schilling/Dick Bosman. The stats don't look so bad until you remember that back in the early days of the Dynamo (no-DH) League, teams couldn't really hit at all, and so finishing with a team ERA over 4.00 was shameful. These guys ended up with a team ERA of 4.17, which wasn't great.

That said, give mrnoun credit for having prime versions of Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker and yet still choosing to start Tim Raines and Nomar in the middle of the infield. Oh, sure, mrnoun could have moved Nomar to 3B, but then where would Phil Nevin and Ron Cey play, huh?

Super-League IV
Greenbrier Orchids (77-85)
Owner: Archie Goodwin (Marauder Syndicate)

The final round of the Gauntlet in Super-League IV was the Finger-Bangers, the Orchids, the Deadwood Cutthroats, which was also a Syndicate team, and then the Leprechauns. So, yeah, it was a hell of a time for Marauder.

The Orchids were a pretty solid team that was probably about halfway to being a real contender. It had half of a good deadball rotation with Pete Alexander and Cy Falkenberg, a decently modern bullpen, and some good power bats with Harmon Killebrew and Jim Thome. However, it had some pressing problems as well, such as it's starting middle infield of Charlie Hickman and Charlie Hollocher, with Hickman, in 115 games, making 51 errors, and drawing only 13 walks.

Also, Killebrew turned not to be able to hit.

Still, the Orchids had some good pieces and survived, which would have made an amazing story had it not been part of Marauder's villainous masterplan.

I guess it still makes an amazing story, just not quite as inspiring of one.

Super-League V
South Bolton Eazy W's (71-91)
Owner: ForeverBWFC

The W's sometimes have bad seasons, it was as true then as it is now.

That said, they had the run differential of a .500 team, and were probably the best team in the Gauntlet that season, even if, due to their record, they had to fight through every round to survive.

Part of the problem was that ForeverBWFC was pretty raw then in terms of knowing how baseball worked, which led to him going down some blind alleys in terms of roster construction, such as giving Boog Powell way too much time to prove that he couldn't hit, and not realizing that Johnny Roseboro and Maury Wills were never going to hit at all.

Also, Mark Bellhorn racked up 166 strikeouts in 121 games, which seems about right, actually.

Super-League VI
South Bolton Eazy W's (79-83) (2)
Owner: ForeverBWFC

Baby steps for ForeverBWFC, as he tried to figure things out. He got a hold of a Dick McAuliffe to replace Maury Wills, and it did not go great, to put it mildly. Ted Simmons did do better than Johnny Roseboro, though.

I can't say this incarnation of the W's was a good team, but it was rapidly becoming the W's as we know them today. Jack McDowell made a few starts and was mildly successful, and Eri Yoshida threw her first pitches for the team. Add in guys like Lou Whitaker and Scott Rolen, who usually are starters for the W's to this day, and you have a team that isn't a million miles from the team that I like and all of you look on with dread as some sort of shambling zombie that devours other teams to keep on living.

Or maybe like a vampire. Whatever.

Super-League VII
Cleveland Unicorns (73-89)
Owner: IceMole

For those of you who don't remember, which is probably most of you, given how long ago it was, the Cleveland Unicorns were Marauder's favorite punching bag. In the first Super-League, the Bangers managed to escape relegation by taking a whole bunch of games from the Unicorns near the end of the season, and, for many seasons afterward, the Unicorns and Bangers shared the same division, with the Bangers routinely brutalizing them.

Eventually, they got killed by the Super-Lottery of all things.

Super-League VII was actually their worst season by a fair margin, as it was the only full season where they won less than 84 games. Looking at their run differential, they were pretty unlucky to end up with the win-loss record they did, so it may have just been bad luck.

In terms of team construction, the Unicorns were the forerunners of the sort of team that dominated the league between SLX and SLXX, a bunch of deadball pitchers, a few power bats, and whatever they could get their hands on to fill in the gaps. More successful teams tended to fill those gaps with superior defenders in the middle infield, while the Unicorns relied on Honus Wagner, noted error machine, at shortstop, which probably didn't help matters.

Super-League VIII
Burma Imperialists (75-87)
Owner: Viscount Slim (Marauder Syndicate)

Here's a fun statistic about Super-League VIII: Out of the eight teams that made the divisional round of the playoffs, four of them were owned by Marauder. And both teams in the finals were owned by Marauder. And the Imperialists survived all eight rounds of the Gauntlet.

Incidentally, here's a list of current owners in the Super-League whose teams got relegated while the Imperialists lived:

-mks5000 (Hartford Whalers)
-Robert Deadford (New England Arguments)
-Faustoan Bargain (Cleveland Commies)
-mentholmoose (Philadelphia Failures)
-Pungry (Seattle Suicides)
-TKBomber (Portland Bulldogs)
-Beet (Dubai Dervishes)
-Monicro (Florida Dickshots)
-kw0134 (Rochester Generics)
-Quaker (San Juan Elephants)

Always remember that time that Marauder chumped all of you with his fifth-best team.

REMEMBER!

Super-League IX
Antarctica Unspecificeds (81-81)
Owner: blackmongoose

The Unspecs, back in the day, were notable for being the first team in Super-League history to have any sort of gimmick in terms of me writing about them. blackmongoose hadn't quite worked out a team logo or location when he created his team, or even by the time the league started, so I just went with the idea of their logo being a blank. And that turned into their stadium being some horror-dome located in some unknown location, turned into some sort of dystopian nightmare where the team and society had become one and the same, indivisible in eternal unity.

As far as the Unspecs' teams went, they were typically unremarkable. Since they all played in domes, they didn't tend to hit a lot of home runs, with this team only finishing with 92 as a team, which basically tells you everything you need to know about why they struggled to get to .500.

Well, that an starting Doug Fister and Jered Weaver a combined 47 times. That couldn't have helped.

Super-League X
Connecticut Thunderstorms (87-75)
Owner: GVOLTT

Super-League X was the season with the Super-Lottery, which led to the losing teams getting stripped of their good players, and the standings being made something of a hash as a result, as teams in the divisions with the lottery losers getting the good fortune of gimme games. The teams in the STV Division actually had two dead-end teams to feast on.

Let's be honest, the only memorable thing about the Thunderstorms was The MACHINE, who did all of the things people love the MACHINE for, including have an E/DP ratio of 4/113, which, improbably enough, was one of its worst seasons with the glove.

All glory to the MACHINE!

Super-League XI
Rochester Generics (78-84)
Owner: kw0134

Incidentally, this isn't the current version of the Generics, and yet it still had Mel Ott and a passel of unremarkable deadballers in its rotation. Some things changes. kw0134's taste in players, evidently, does not.

But, if I could be serious for a minute, I'd like to say a few words about kw0134, an owner who has stuck with the league for a very long time:

Karen is a fine owner, and a fine person. Thank you.

Super-League XII
Khartoum Doom (81-81)
Owner: McFreeze
Fhloston Pharmaceuticals (81-81)
Owner: FairGame

That's right, the once and current Sub-Commissars were once tied for the Wooden Spoon. This was, as I recall, the first season where teams got demoted, and both of these teams avoided the grim specter of the Sub-Par League by four games. Which was about right. The Doom, of course, have generally been pretty good, even if their pitching can sometimes be suspect, and FairGame's teams try. They really, really try.

God help me, they try so very, very hard, and were it up to me, I'd give them all the success I could. Sadly, it's not up to me, it's up to fate. And fate hates FairGame. It's told me so on multiple occasions. It says, "Smasher, I will crush FairGame like a grape. And an easily-crushable grape at that."

I ask what kind of grape isn't easily crushable, and Fate tells me that it a raisin is kind if hard to crush if it's dry enough, because it's kind of already sort of crushed. Fate is not great with metaphors.

That said, the Pharmas effectively ended the Marauder dynasty by beating the Bangers in the playoffs the season after this one, so there's that.

Super-League XIII
Kobe Crows (72-90)
Owner: HulkaMatt

The Crows finished in a tie for last-place with the Knights, and won a tiebreaker series to survive. The Knights were the better team, but HulkaMatt was luckier and...

...HulkaMatt was luckier? That doesn't sound right. It really doesn't sound right. I mean, it's HulkaMatt, I don't know what it's like to be HulkaMatt, but I imagine that every day, he carefully opens the door to go to his car, and then has to sprint down his drive way, as lightning bolts suddenly strike from the blue to try and annihilate him from the universe.

And then he's driving down the road and, suddenly, a robot-shark erupts from the middle of the road and attacks his car. That's what HulkaMatt's morning is like. And I'm not even getting to the part where a family of ninjas mistakes HulkaMatt for his twin brother and kidnaps him.

Oddly, HulkaMatt's twin, MachoSteve, is exceptionally lucky.

Super-League XIV
Dorchester Phantoms (68-94)
Owner: TKBomber7285

This team had a lot of decent hitters who decided not to hit. And also Jim Thome struck out 228 times. This team had an OBP of .289. It would have taking the greatest pitching staff in Super-League history to keep them aflaot, and their best pitcher was a past-his-prime Dizzy Dean.

Honestly, but for the Hill City Dinos being a bit less lucky, the Phantoms would have died, and probably should have.

Super-League XV
Minnesota Commission (73-89)
Owner: Pash

Actually, this team was better than its record indicates, and was relatively solid in all phases of the game. Pairing deadballers with Honus Wagner, which a surprising number of teams have tried, didn't work out great for the Commission, but actually, I was going to say that it wasn't what held the team back, but it absolutely was, given that they allowed the most runs of any team that wasn't playing in a gimmick stadium, except for the Pharmas, the team they beat to surviv. Oddly, the Marmosets and Dinos were just as bad in terms of run prevention. I guess it's a Sodak thing.

That said, the Commission are still around in the Sub-Par League, so maybe we haven't seen the last of them.

I refuse to acknowledge their new name, by the way.

Super-League XVI
Minnesota Commission (68-94) (2)

See above.

Super-League XVII
Kobe Crows (67-95) (2)
Owner: HulkaMatt

I'm sure there was a reason that I didn't kill the Crows at this time, even though they finished last in their division by a wide margin.

Perhaps it is because, after HulkaMatt was attacked by rogue super-humans from an alternate universe, they having accidentally wandered into our reality, and having mistaken HulkaMatt for his counterpart from their division, a known junk bond trader worthy of death under the harsh white collar criminal laws of their world, I didn't want to pile on.

I mean, let's not forget that this was also the season that HulkaMatt's left kidney gained sentience and tried to destroy HulkaMatt's brain to take over his body. I know that was rough on him too.

Super-League XVIII
Glastonbury Knights (68-94)
Owner: Revenant Threshold

For the Knights to have been demoted in this season, they would have had to have been signficantly less lucky than a team owned by Armitage.

Obviously, that could not have happened without the universe being destroyed, and despite the weakening of reality caused when HulkaMatt accidentally tore a hole in the fabric of time and space while trying to avoid a living burrito that hungered for his death, things weren't that far gone.

Also, we learned how good noted folk rock artist Elmer Valo was at the game of baseball.

Not good. He was not good.

Super-League XIX
Houston Hol Horses (68-94)
Owner: Monathin

This team survived by being better than Trump Baseball, a team that Cthulhu made up back when we could laugh about Donald Trump without having to reckon with the sheer moral bankruptcy of mankind.

I was right to hate mankind all along. There was a time when we could argue that point, but with the coming of Trump, that debate has ended in my favor. The destruction of humanity is proceeding apace, and for that alone, we should be grateful.

Super-League XX
Minnesota Commission (71-91) (3)

Hey, we should celebrate consistency!

Super-League XXI
Detroit Wolverines (70-92)
Owner: cbx
Nega-Llamas (70-92)
Owner: TheFlyingLlama

Both of these teams exist.

That is my expert analysis of these teams.

Super-League XXII
Slaughterhouse Nine (77-85)
Owner: Monicro

I truly believe that if any person every spontaneously becomes an anime, it will be Monicro. There is simply no doubt in my mind. He's going to be sitting in his chair, taking his pills, and then, bam, anime.

This is going to happen.

By the way, speaking of Kurt Vonnegut, while I admit that it's not his best work, Sirens of Titan was the first Vonnegut novel I read, and so will always have a special place in my heart.

Games of the Week

Brian Downing was once a hero of the Super-League.

Brian Downing is a hero of the Super-League still.

HulkaMatt! Hang your Hulkahead in Hulkashame!

Believe in Jack McDowell.

Always believe in Jack McDowell.

Oh, gently caress, the Tsars are going to kill someone next season when they reach...full mechanization.

None of my ancestors are from the former lands of the Byzantine Empire. Actually, all of my ancestors, to a man, lived on the Baltic coastline or the west bank of the Rhine River. Nonetheless, Johnny Fifty's logo fills me with a deep desire for iconoclasty!

Team Statistics

Analysis

Obviously, losing your best pitcher by a big margin in a division race that isn't quite over is not a good thing.

Analysis

I don't care about another Zephyrs team in my league.

But, it won't be in my league, will it?

Analysis

This team will clinch the division next week.

Analysis

No reason next season can't be a lot better.

Analysis

BAH!

Analysis

Eagle down! EAGLE DOWN!

Analysis

Finishing strong, at least.

Analysis

Man, well, next season.

Analysis

If this team has a great stretch run, it might win its division. If it craps out entirely, it might miss out on the playoffs, anything in between, and it'll get a wildcard.

Analysis

A mediocre week, but it no longer matters.

Analysis

One out of every four teams gets capped after each season in the Super-League.

Analysis

This team is better than I thought.

Analysis

A wildcard is there for the taking.

Analysis

The best team that's going to get demoted.

Analysis

I don't know what to say.

Analysis

After taking most of the first half of the season off, the RCMP are good again.

Analysis

BE BETTER! I know that you're probably going to win this division, but still...BE BETTER!

Analysis

To the end.

Analysis

Monicro doesn't really exist.

Prove that I'm wrong.

Analysis

It's Bellhorn time!

Analysis

Triad...defeated.

Analysis

Better. Now keep the Theologians and that damned logo of theirs out of my playoffs.

Analysis

Now mentholmoose has to be nice to me, right?

Analysis

But, hey, look at those steals by Magee!

Standings

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sooooo close

Let's get the team MVP a rest before the playoffs start.

New lineup, vs both:

CF Speaker
2B Lajoie
RF Walker
1B Olerud
LF Goslin
3B Brett
C Simmons
SS ARod
P

Personal C Piazza for Maddux, who should get activated and slotted back in for Donahue in the Rotation. Please put Red back to LR and bench Harvey.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

I don't care about another Zephyrs team in my league.

But, it won't be in my league, will it?

good point, sir.

APERTURE LABORATORIES FORM 6-15-6311481-88

Notice of Commisarial Enforced Downsizing

Well, well. I had an extremely modest expectation of "don't finish with the worst record in the league and get shunted off back to the Sub-Par league" and, naturally, you finish with the worst record in the league and get shunted off back to the Sub-Par league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAT15I-QnBY

Based on the sterling performances from everybody on the team, Aperture Laboratories' Board of Directors has made the following changes:

1) The Designated Hitter apparently breeds habits of sloth in hitters and pitchers alike. Thus, upon the Scientists' arrival in the Sub-Par League, it has been determined that we will switch leagues from the DH league from the No-DH league.

2) Aperture Laboratories, LLC, has crunched the numbers, and with the latest economic downturn, in the latest round of congressional budget cuts, has had to choose between "running a terrible fake baseball team" and "stocking the Keurig machines in the Engineering annex with 40 different flavors of coffee". The good news is that Butter Toffee and Coconut Mocha K-Cups will be available in Annex C starting Friday. The bad news is that we only found one owner willing to pay the value we demanded for a 50-win team headed for the overstock and damaged goods bin that is the Subpar League, and they insisted on a namechange that we feel is quite appropriately demeaning for this group of players:

Signed, Totally Not Dead By Exposure to Deadly, Deadly Neurtoxin Aperture Laboratories Board of Directors c/o the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System

ENCLOSED: FORM 2-151-809B (Acceptance of Relegation)

----------------
†: Regarding the title banners won under the Scientists name, the offical response is "you will get the old title and championship banners back if you make it back to the Super League, you massively underachieving group of hellfucks".

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm sorry; I really intended to not make any moves but I'm half a drat game out of a playoff spot and I think there are useful things that can be done.

I'm trying to avoid the AI doing something catastrophically stupid re: the spot start needed for Red Faber, and having seen TMMadman's team start Todd Worrell for some reason...

1.) Release Jim Barr outright. Gone from the roster!
2.) Swap Tanana and Ryan's bullpen assignments

Separately, Rod Carew and Megatheny are back! I don't know what precisely Megatheny does, though, and Downing has been nothing short of superb since stepping in. So, uh...

3.) Rod Carew replaces Eddie Collins in the lineup, straight up.
4.) Make Megatheny the personal catcher for Leonard, Keefe, and Joss. That'll get him 3 starts this week while Downing handles the rest. I have no idea what this'll prove since all I get are final scores, but :shrug:

Leaving Billy Hamilton on the bench continues to drive me mad, but I don't really think he's playing better than Chapman this season, and what he gains in steals he's probably giving back in defense.

Let's go, the Mites.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Phone posting

Please make Ruth RF in all lineups

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Super-League X
Connecticut Thunderstorms (87-75)
Owner: GVOLTT

Super-League X was the season with the Super-Lottery, which led to the losing teams getting stripped of their good players, and the standings being made something of a hash as a result, as teams in the divisions with the lottery losers getting the good fortune of gimme games. The teams in the STV Division actually had two dead-end teams to feast on.

Let's be honest, the only memorable thing about the Thunderstorms was The MACHINE, who did all of the things people love the MACHINE for, including have an E/DP ratio of 4/113, which, improbably enough, was one of its worst seasons with the glove.

All glory to the MACHINE!
Hey, SL X is when the Don Sutton on my team won a Cy Young award. Also apparently Roberto Clemente hit for the cycle one game? Not that The MACHINE wasn't memorable, but so were these two.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

vs. RHP - Bench Papa Bell and put Rickey back in at LF!

That's it!

LET'S FRIGGIN GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I guess

Hamels to DL
Lee takes his spot in the rotation
Joey RIP Ferns takes over at LR

Holy poo poo this is problematic.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

WEEK 23: THE BLACKEST FRIDAY

Game of the Weak:

Old McDonald posted:

PART X - BREAKING THE PLOT

The Nelson Frazier Memorial Stadium is not a pleasant place to be. Situated in the Lao Cai Province of Vietnam, the stadium is a behemoth construction built in such a way as to make any sort of excitement impossible. Neon signs glare at you at every turn, judging you for venturing into this place and expecting an exciting baseball game, and making viewing the game exceedingly difficult - as well as playing the game, for that matter, with the lights making it significantly harder for hitters to see the ball, leading to more strikeouts, the least exciting way an at bat can end. The massive dimensions of the stadium are designed to make home runs impossible, taking away the most exciting part of the game. The concessions are tailor-made to induce heartburn at a rate that makes even attempting to follow the game a futile endeavor. The high altitude and lack of air conditioning anywhere in the stadium means that games are constantly played at freezing temperatures.

But these things were not done because Armitage hates people. ...well, not entirely because of that, anyway. It was part of his plan to replicate the system that shook the Super-League to the core. The Gameplan of Ultimate Despair, which propelled the Hoboken Zephyrs from a lucky team that got a few more seasons of life than it really should have into a juggernaut of terror. Armitage emulated this plan to a significant degree, amassing contact hitters and power pitchers of the specific type that thrives in the environment that was created approximately 25000 feet above Hoboken, and they can thrive just as well in the lofty heights of the Lao Cai Province. But Armitage wasn't content with that, for Armitage is never content. He had greater plans, and he couldn't have anybody interfering with them. And because of that, the remaining three of our group of Baserunners now find themselves knocked out, separated and locked in rooms spread across the catacombs of the Nelson Frazier Memorial Stadium - and if the stadium itself is hell to be in, the catacombs are even worse.

The room Worse found himself in after waking up was very sparsely furnished - a simple table and two chairs were all that was placed on the floor, with only a speaker hanging in a ceiling corner. There were no windows - and no door, for that matter. How had he gotten in here in the first place? But before he could further ponder his situation, the speaker crackled to life, and a voice began to speak. "Our sensors seem to have noticed that you've woken up. Good. Now, before you say anything, don't bother. This is simply a recording - I was not going to wait until you've woken up, I'm quite the busy man. Anyway, my name is Armitage, sole owner and purveyor of the Vietnam Big Daddies. And before you wonder, yes, I'm the one you were looking for. But that's no matter now, as your little escapade has come to an end, and I will now be free to further pursue my experiments. However, it would be a shame to just let you go to waste here, so I would suggest you join in on one of my experiments."

Armitage's voice continued. "You know, I've looked into your history, and you're quite fascinating. An artificial man, created entirely from scratch, no cloning or such methods involved. I myself have been dabbling in this realm, and as part of an experiment, I would simply ask you to speak with a test subject of mine. He will be transferred into your room shortly. Oh, and one more thing. I think you've realized that there isn't much of a way out of this room you're in. Cooperation is in your best interest." The speaker then went silent as a hatch opened above one of the chairs. Through the hatch fell a man, who landed on the chair with a loud thump. The man had a haggard expression on his face that, while tired and weary, gave no indication of confusion regarding being dropped through a hatch and onto a chair. He was wearing a baseball jersey with the number 38 emblazoned on it. The jersey was worn and torn, looking like it had been through several situations that one might prefer not to remember. The man didn't say anything, but simply motioned for Worse to take a seat. Figuring he had no real choice in the matter, Worse obliged.

What followed was silence, as the two eyed each other. Eventually, Worse broke the silence. "Who are you?" A simple question, but not one the man had a quick answer for. After a period of thinking, he responded. "The one who sent me here calls me 'Subject 38'. I am led to believe that I am one of many test subjects. I have no recollection of any events outside of this facility, meaning that I have either had my memories altered, or was in fact only recently created here. I was put through a series of experiments testing my aptitude at playing the sport of baseball, and was found lacking. Following that, I was largely left alone for a considerable amount of time, until I was just now grabbed and thrown down a trap door. My ultimate purpose here is unknown to me. Now, allow me to ask the same of you. Who are you?" Worse answered quickly. "My designation is Worse. I am part of an attempt to create certain baseball players from scratch, but was found insufficiently capable to take on the job of actually playing. Instead, I fulfill odd jobs in order to support my master's team."

Subject 38 cocked his head slightly. "That doesn't quite answer my question. Who are you in the context of this baseball league that seems to be ongoing - this 'Sub-Par League' the one that sent me here seems to be very interested in winning?" "As far as the league is concerned, I am of no consequence. I am not an active player, nor am I on the team's roster." "So why are you here?" "What is it you're implying?" "Well, what I have figured from observing people, reading the history of this league and talking to the one that sent me here is that nothing is really consistent in this league. Teams are constantly moving up, moving down, dying, not dying, coming back again, and the personnel on these teams is constantly shifting as well. However, what I'm wondering is what happens to people that don't even belong to the team proper. People like you and me. Do we keep existing? I've read that even players that should stay the same find themselves not the same as the season before, almost as if every season is a complete reset. And if that is true, then it seems like our fate lies largely in the hands of the chroniclers of this league. Almost as if it depends entirely on them whether we continue to exist or not, and in which form."

Subject 38 walked to a whiteboard hanging from a wall in the room and started drawing on it. "Consider this: You are part of an experiment to build copies of Greg Maddux and Barry Bonds from scratch." "How do you know that? The project is kept highly secret - my colleagues in the squad were the only ones I've ever told about it. Did one of them tell you?" Subject 38 shook his head. "No, that's not how I found out about it. I actually read about it in a book. A quite strange book - it's one that keeps having things added to it in some way. Every week, a new chapter appears in it, with a story chronicling some part of the league, and a complete compendium of the teams, their standings and their stats. It seems that every owner has access to this book, and I was probably not supposed to see it, but the one that sent me here didn't seem to care. Apparently, once my lack of baseball aptitude was proven, he no longer cared about anything I did. Anyway, these stories have been following the exploits of you and your squad of Baserunners, and through that, I learned of your history."

Worse looked at the completed drawing on the whiteboard showing a time line with team names written on them. A lot of them meant nothing to him, but the last one he recognized - the Pungry Pungry Pippoes, the team he came from. "What is the meaning of this timeline?" "These are the teams your master has owned over time. The two key teams here are The Worst and the Antarctic Coldplayers. You never wondered why the designations for your experiment results are 'The Worst' for the best result and only 'Bad' for the worst result, right? You just accepted it, because that's what you creations are for. Anyway, with The Worst, the three Barry Bondses were found to be important. With the Antarctic Coldplayers, the five Greg Madduxes. However, what I'm getting at is these two teams." He pointed towards the two names after the Antarctic Coldplayers - the Seattle Cagey Bees and the Origami Tsunamis. "Why didn't this project run with these teams? It was never mentioned in the chronicles of these leagues. Do you have any recollection of this project running longer than this season?" Worse thought about it, then replied.

"No, this season was the beginning of the project, as far as I know." "But why is that? Clearly, 'create good players' is a very simple concept, and somebody on Pungry's teams should have thought of it earlier, in those two seasons. Now, here's what my theory is. This reality of ours is very heavily molded by the chroniclers. It seems to be that whatever they wish, happens. For instance, consider this whiteboard. Can you honestly say that this whiteboard was here when you first looked around the room? I don't believe so, and yet, it's here. And clearly you couldn't have overlooked it - there's basically nothing in this room, it would be impossible to overlook it. So does this whiteboard only exist because I needed it?" Worse considered this theory. He seems to remember that there wasn't a whiteboard in this room when he first awoke, and yet there's this niggling feeling that it had been there all along and he just had to be mistaken.

Subject 38 grabbed a cup of coffee from the table and took a sip. "See, that wasn't here earlier, was it? And yet it's here now. Why did the chronicler want me to have it? I cannot answer that question, but it seems they have some sort of plan here. Or maybe they don't have a plan at all, and that's why everything seems to be in flux." "So, what is your ultimate goal, then?" "Well, I'm in search of purpose, and I'm not finding it here. I need to escape this place. I don't know what I'm going to find, but I know that this place isn't the place for me. Furthermore, the one that sent me here seems to have no further desire to see us again, as this room has no other exit. Ultimately, we're supposed to be stuck here, but I have a plan." "What kind of plan?" "An attempt to influence the chroniclers. I believe that if we can get them to stop writing about us, we will be free from this plane of existence and left free to wander." "And how are we going to accomplish this?"

Subject 38 smiled. "Oh, this is the great part. One thing I've noticed when reading the chronicles is that they all tend towards a certain length. So I've been particularly long-winded in my explanation in order to take up even more time and space. Eventually, he'll be unable to continue for fear of going overly long and will simply have to stop. Furthermore, given the amount of season left, the current pace of chapters and the approximate length the rest of the story would need to take up at the minimum, and I don't believe he'll be able to revisit us. As such, we'll have escaped the story and will be free to do whatever we wish, hopefully." Worse was confused. "So basically, your plan is to overflow these proceedings by speaking at length about anything, requiring this 'chronicler' that is supposedly recording our job to stop this recording. Then, he for this reason of yours will not be able to continue writing about us, and because the reality of this league bends to their will, this will effectively remove us from the league? And what if I don't wish to be removed from this league?"

"Oh, your feelings on this matter are completely irrelevant. All you're doing is helping my plan along. According to what I've read, it shouldn't be long now. Eventually, he'll just end u-"

I hope you come back in Subpar League XIII-2: Gingemidget Returns

Oh hey, I think you clinched your division. Congrats on the promotion!

Maybe if Vaughan or Foxx had gotten going earlier...

No more head to heads with the Jailbirds until that final series. You've gotta shave off a game or two in the next two weeks.

Cthulhu needs W

Just really unlucky. A spirited finish probably keeps you out of The Gauntlet.

Jesus, I just checked your pythag. You and the Pokemonstars are offsetting one another.

There's enough talent on this team to do a short starting rotation and make some noise in The Gauntlet.

You've dealt with worse injuries.

I'm really sad about this.

Todd Worrell: secret starting pitcher ace: PS sorry about that.

You should probably get Bagwell out of the lineup.

Oh no!

Oh yeah!

You'll get better rolls next time. Don't lose hope.

Speaking of not losing hope. Hang in there, buddy.

Oh hey, we have a race. Those 3 home games against the Landers look big.

You know what's up? You hosed it up.

If you had more h2hs I could see it happening. As is, you can probably leapfrog the Rogues which is kind of just a moral victory: neither of you are going to The Gauntlet.

I suspect there will be at least 4 teams that are Gauntlet-exempt. You're on the bubble.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ok, please remember to put in Friend for Pedro even though it's going to go back next week. But still, Pedro is scheduled to make a start this week and I think I'd rather have Friend going than have Mogul pick Worrell again.

And since everyone is seemingly rested and ready to go, I can drop the platoons (except at 3B). So the lineup is:

LF - Ashburn
2B - Hornsby
RF - Aaron
C - Pizzaman
1B - Black Frank Thomas
CF- Mays
3B - Mathews (White Frank Thomas vs LHP)
SS - Banks

Man, this is going to be a stressful final few weeks because I really want to win the division.

edit - One other change - Please change the personal catcher. I believe Hatteberg should be the personal catcher to Marichal, but please remove that and make Hatteberg the personal catcher for Friend.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 24, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Expansion Cup 23, May: Misery

Team Statistics

Analysis

Well, Dean isn't off to the best start, but he is an upgrade, anyway. Also, you've got a real Tale Of Two Bullpens going on here.

Analysis

The pitching is still having its share of issues, and the hitting hasn't really gotten going either, though Gibson is trying his best.

Analysis

That's better.

Analysis

There's some good dinger hitters in there - the problem is just that there's nobody on base! And yeah, the pitching is still... having problems.

Analysis

Everything still humming along just fine here, though you might have some issues if Speaker and Collins get cold at any point.

Analysis

Mathewson is fitting in well. Also, the sacrifice has been made, though it hasn't turned your fortunes yet.

Analysis

If the pitching actually performs the way it should, this team is a contender. Alas, your rotation isn't performing the way it should so far, apart from Kershaw. Some pretty good pen guys, too.

Analysis

Maybe a good draft pick spot will change this team's fortune.

Analysis

Well, I'll be damned. It's just a matter of time before your hitting corrects downwards, but until then, just enjoy the ride, I guess.

Analysis

Well, the pitching is working somewhat, though there's still some issues with the hitting. On the plus side, Howard is doing acceptably in his platoon role.

Standings

Leaders

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

E N I X
S L I M E S

Replace Averill with Ott
Replace Joss with Kevin Brown
Replace Boggs with Hack

Swap Hack and Billy Herman in lineups

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I'm simming in about a half-hour, because I want to.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017

This is not how I was expecting things to turn out

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Craig K posted:

good point, sir.

APERTURE LABORATORIES FORM 6-15-6311481-88

Notice of Commisarial Enforced Downsizing

Well, well. I had an extremely modest expectation of "don't finish with the worst record in the league and get shunted off back to the Sub-Par league" and, naturally, you finish with the worst record in the league and get shunted off back to the Sub-Par league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAT15I-QnBY

Based on the sterling performances from everybody on the team, Aperture Laboratories' Board of Directors has made the following changes:

1) The Designated Hitter apparently breeds habits of sloth in hitters and pitchers alike. Thus, upon the Scientists' arrival in the Sub-Par League, it has been determined that we will switch leagues from the DH league from the No-DH league.

2) Aperture Laboratories, LLC, has crunched the numbers, and with the latest economic downturn, in the latest round of congressional budget cuts, has had to choose between "running a terrible fake baseball team" and "stocking the Keurig machines in the Engineering annex with 40 different flavors of coffee". The good news is that Butter Toffee and Coconut Mocha K-Cups will be available in Annex C starting Friday. The bad news is that we only found one owner willing to pay the value we demanded for a 50-win team headed for the overstock and damaged goods bin that is the Subpar League, and they insisted on a namechange that we feel is quite appropriately demeaning for this group of players:

Signed, Totally Not Dead By Exposure to Deadly, Deadly Neurtoxin Aperture Laboratories Board of Directors c/o the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System

ENCLOSED: FORM 2-151-809B (Acceptance of Relegation)

----------------
†: Regarding the title banners won under the Scientists name, the offical response is "you will get the old title and championship banners back if you make it back to the Super League, you massively underachieving group of hellfucks".

Hell, same

except:

1) Replace any Scientists mentions with Big Daddies

2) We request to go to the DH League next season

3) Any changes are assuming we survive the Gauntlet, and I would not guarantee our survival at this point.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Krakow Dragons are the Mark Bellhorn Division champions!
The Burns Zephyrs are the Memento Mori Division champions!
The Portland Panderers have clinched a playoff spot!
The White Mountain Widowmakers have clinched a playoff spot!

Super-League XXIII, Week 24 Injury Report

Burns Zephyrs
Nap Lajoie (2B) (Stress test!) - 8 days

Everett Eagles
John Franco (RP) (No one could care) - 7 days

Kobe Crows
Cy Young (SP) (My war against the Crows continues!) - 11 days

Slaughterhouse Nine
George Kell (3B) (Sacrifice for the Greater Good) - Out for Season
B.J. Ryan (RP) (See Above) - 11 days

Pick 'em: Franksgiving is Coming Late!

Omni-Titles