Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Supradog posted:

I'm seeing up to 20% drops for both threadripper and Ryzen 7 cpus in Black friday pre sales here in Norway. Strangely the 1700 was not discounted so the 1700x is now cheaper.

1800x at 385 usd (was 470 before latest cut, release price was 650 usd)
1700x at 325 usd (was 405 before latest cut, release price was 505 usd)
1700 at 350 usd.

a little less cuts on threadripper
1950x at 970 usd, (was 1090 before latest cut, release price was 1230 usd)
1920x at 785 usd (was 850 before latest cut, release price was 990 usd)
1900x is at 530 usd, not reduced.

Amazon USA right now has :swoon:
1800X $319
1700X $279
1700 $269

1950X $799
1920X $649
1900X $449

I really do wish I had a Microcenter within 400 miles of me. Seems like they have the best deals on this stuff because a 1700 with the ASRock Pro4 (B350) motherboard is $280 after rebate which is mind boggling.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CapnBry posted:

Amazon USA right now has :swoon:
1800X $319
1700X $279
1700 $269

1950X $799
1920X $649
1900X $449

I really do wish I had a Microcenter within 400 miles of me. Seems like they have the best deals on this stuff because a 1700 with the ASRock Pro4 (B350) motherboard is $285 after rebate which is mind boggling.

I might have to break the Bank and build myself a 1950X.

Have they committed to socket TR4 for Ryzen+/2/whatever?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Monk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEU6gk8N5yc

i like adored but my man is flogging ICOs which may be indicative that i may be watching something that is slightly removed from reality. although i guess man has to get paid. hopefully not in bitcoin

Pretty much how I felt seeing that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xae posted:

Ryzen 2: Ryzen Harder :pervert:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This is misleading, the Obama government did take steps to prevent new monopolies, such as not allowing AT&T to buy T-Mobile. In fact, because AT&T was so confident it wouldn’t get challenged, the breakdown of the merger would cause T-Mobile to get a crapload of money which is how they suddenly became competitive overnight.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

they had said they are committed to the AM4 slot for the next few years so I dont seem them changing their minds for the TR4 ( I have zero regrets about buying my 1950x)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I literally just built a Ryzen 1700 system and now I'm contemplating building a 1950x system. 1st world problems.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

I literally just built a Ryzen 1700 system and now I'm contemplating building a 1950x system. 1st world problems.

I wouldn't build a Ryzen system with tread ripper available. Ryzen is kind of the gimped version of the real thing.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I wouldn't build a Ryzen system with tread ripper available. Ryzen is kind of the gimped version of the real thing.

but dont forget TR comes with its own issues of some older programs breaking due to its design and for pure gaming you would be insane (like me) to get one over a 8700k

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

redeyes posted:

No, Ryzen is the thing, EPYC is the thing scaled up for server markets, and Threadripper is literally a project that AMD engineers worked on in their spare time.

quote:

There’s a unique story surrounding Threadripper, but one that gives testament to the spirit that’s emerging in the company as we go through this transition since 2014 when we announced our Zen architecture. It’s not really a story of roadmaps and long-term planning or huge R&D budgets - it’s a lot more personal than that and stemmed from a skunkworks project and a small group of AMD employees who had a vision of a processor they’d really want in terms of a high-performance PC.

They worked on it in their spare time and it was really a passion project for about a year before they sought the green light from management, which is quite unusual – it was something they really cared about. The result, several years later was Ryzen Threadripper, which is the world’s most powerful desktop processor. Without this group of people Threadripper may not have happened.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 21, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

“Update to AGESA 1071 for new upcoming processors.”

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-amd-processors-asus-bios,35969.html

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would rather they got a graphics driver out, the OEM one hasn't been touched since July.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Zen+ and zen2 if they are on schedule will be monsters

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Risky Bisquick posted:

Zen+ and zen2 if they are on schedule will be monsters

I think this time next year will be time for the Sandy/Ivy people to finally upgrade to something. AMD and Intel are getting into a war and the winner is nerds.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I think this time next year will be time for the Sandy/Ivy people to finally upgrade to something. AMD and Intel are getting into a war and the winner is nerds.

I don't know if I can wait that long. I'm thinking it might be 8700K time come Christmas. Locked SB i7 is not good enough.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kazinsal posted:

I don't know if I can wait that long. I'm thinking it might be 8700K time come Christmas. Locked SB i7 is not good enough.

For browsing the forums during the day and playing MOBAs and Overwatch by night, I'm good with this unlocked IB i7 that I've never bothered to OC (I want to OC it but can't afford to replace it if it dies right now.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This i5-760 is getting reeeally loving annoying. But there just hasn't been a good time to upgrade in the last three-ish years I waited to see what would turn up. Today I realized I have to lower my audio buffer size to keep my audio from screwing up.

OTOH, maybe I should just take one for the team and upgrade so something revolutionary can come along two weeks later.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think Zen+ will be too huge a leap, and I personally doubt the 8 core Coffee Lake rumors. My take is that now is a great time to buy into either platform with the Ryzen price cuts.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I don't think Zen+ will be a huge leap either, but it doesn't have to be. Summit has visible weaknesses, all Pinnacle has to do to be good is fix half of them. I guess I can see where the doubt for 8 core Coffee Lake comes from, but I thought it was supposed to be 8 core Icelake?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I think Zen+ being a small bump is actually compelling. That's all AMD needs to be back in the game and compete with Coffee Lake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd be impressed with 4.1ghz stock turbo and decoupled fabric.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fabric decoupling is going to mean major design changes, it won't be part of +.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder what they'll be in plus. Can't help thinking they should just forge ahead with Ryzen 2.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wonder what they'll be in plus. Can't help thinking they should just forge ahead with Ryzen 2.

Isn't + and 2 the same thing? I believe they switched the name from Zen+ to Zen2.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

OhFunny posted:

Isn't + and 2 the same thing? I believe they switched the name from Zen+ to Zen2.

Zen+ is what people are calling the refreshed Ryzen on Glofo's massaged 14nm Samsung process (now branded as "12nm"). It's not supposed to have much, if any, architectural improvements and be coming out in the spring/summer.

Zen2 is the official name of the successor to Zen, due to come out on Glofo's in house 7nm DUV process in 2019.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Fabric decoupling is going to mean major design changes, it won't be part of +.

My understanding is, as it’s currently using a ratio of the dram clock, that giving it its own clock domain and ratio system would fix this as a low hanging fruit type optimisation. So there is every chance that this is fixed in zen+.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

JockstrapManthrust posted:

My understanding is, as it’s currently using a ratio of the dram clock, that giving it its own clock domain and ratio system would fix this as a low hanging fruit type optimisation. So there is every chance that this is fixed in zen+.

Pretty much, it's something you do all the time in FPGA design optimizations, setting different frequency domains, buffering inputs and pipelining all work quite well at getting otherwise async parts to all play nice with eachother.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

It's still more engineering work and qualification than I would expect from the "Tock" cycle they have on the roadmap. It could potentially break backwards compatibility for the new chip on the current Zen boards and that all feels like a big No No for what should be a rapidly iterative die shrink.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Will there be new chipsets?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Will there be new chipsets?

Yeah, they announced 400 series chipsets alongside the Ryzen refresh.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Raven Ridge Dell Latitude hitting the scene:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Raven-Ridge-powered-Dell-Latitude-5495-surfaces-online.264272.0.html

Hopefully since it's in a Latitude, we'll see it in an XPS SKU. It gives me great hope that these aren't going into bargain basement craptops. Really can't wait to see what games are going to look like on RR mobile.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Waiting out on a 35-45W solution. 45W should basically be 90% desktop performance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.servethehome.com/qnap-ts-x77-series-nas-servers-powerful-amd-ryzen-cpus/

R5 1600 and R7 1700 built into 6-12 bay NASes, for running multiple server applications.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.servethehome.com/qnap-ts-x77-series-nas-servers-powerful-amd-ryzen-cpus/

R5 1600 and R7 1700 built into 6-12 bay NASes, for running multiple server applications.

I've been keeping an eye on these, they look pretty sweet. 6-12 bays, lots of cores, and lots of potential for PCIe expandability, yum. The only caveats are that I'd really like to see the segfault bug squashed before relying on it, especially under Linux/BSD, and they're kinda expensive compared to what you can white-box by yourself. You can do a pretty nice 8-bay white-box with LGA1151 for like $1000, while the 8- and 12-bay QNAPs are going to be like $2000+ (and the extra 4 bays are for SSDs, not 3.5" drives). But they look great for businesses who just want a turnkey product to throw money at.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 23, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's still more engineering work and qualification than I would expect from the "Tock" cycle they have on the roadmap. It could potentially break backwards compatibility for the new chip on the current Zen boards and that all feels like a big No No for what should be a rapidly iterative die shrink.
Hmmm? How would changes to an internal bus break compatibility?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only caveats are that I'd really like to see the segfault bug squashed before relying on it, especially under Linux/BSD, and they're kinda expensive compared to what you can white-box by yourself.

I've read that it's fixed with week 25 and higher CPUs, is this true?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

It seems so.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=new-ryzen-fixed&num=1

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Obsurveyor posted:

No, AMD added some additional testing that catches the worst of the bunch (chips with poor ASIC quality that segfault almost immediately) and this has reduced the incidence rate, but there are still some new-production chips that have the issue. There are plenty of people in the AMD community thread or on Reddit with 1726 or 1733 chips that segfault (from all fabs/assembly facilities).

Larabel is talking out his rear end, the fact that they gave him a binned RMA replacement doesn't mean they actually fixed the issue. AMD themselves have never claimed to have fixed it either - and they are more than happy to let Larabel's mistruth propagate and keep their ASIC quality issues on the down-low.

Getting a binned RMA replacement is/was the only surefire fix for the issue - although it appears they are no longer actually hand-testing the RMA replacements for this issue, so they actually may be subject to the same lottery as any other new-production chip released under their new quality-control regime (i.e. you have a reasonable chance now but it's not guaranteed to work right either).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 23, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd really like to see the segfault bug squashed before relying on it, especially under Linux/BSD...

I had an affected early production R7 1700, and the warranty replacement AMD sent me has been rock solid running at 3.8GHz on stock voltage (1.1825V). AMD's warranty service took about 2 weeks from ticket open to the replacement arriving. They had me send them a photo of the inside of my case to make sure I didn't have airflow issues, and test a few times with various BIOS settings before approving the RMA, but they did get me a good chip in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SamDabbers posted:

I had an affected early production R7 1700, and the warranty replacement AMD sent me has been rock solid running at 3.8GHz on stock voltage (1.1825V). AMD's warranty service took about 2 weeks from ticket open to the replacement arriving. They had me send them a photo of the inside of my case to make sure I didn't have airflow issues, and test a few times with various BIOS settings before approving the RMA, but they did get me a good chip in the end.

I would rather they didn't ship defective CPUs in the first place. But then they couldn't advertise their sweet 90% yields...