Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Those aren't what the characters would drink. They are drinks supposed to evoke the tone and style of the characters.

I took it to be what the actors drank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Those are way too fancy for regular people drinks. No one drinks like that. Those are novelty themed drinks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/933458349777195010

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I want to like Runaways but most of the dialog is terrible and I don’t give a poo poo about the parent drama at all. That said, I think most of the changes are good, though I think I like white trash rear end in a top hat Chase from the comics better than milquetoast lacrosse bro Chase.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 23, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

#fuckscientology

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

Those are way too fancy for regular people drinks. No one drinks like that. Those are novelty themed drinks.

I know tons of people who drink like that all the time :confused:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love mixing up a cocktail after work.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Man I want to like Runaways but most of the dialog is terrible and I don’t give a poo poo about the parent drama at all. That said, I think most of the changes are good, though I think I like white trash rear end in a top hat Chase from the comics better than milquetoast lacrosse bro Chase.

Yeah agreeing with you on the dialogue, I'm trying my best to get through the first episode but its terribleness is making it hard.

The cinematography is pretty great tho.

e: like I'm no word-smith or anything, but if you can't think up one good line, one good joke, or avoid 10 terrible cliche eye-rolling moments, you're doing a pretty bad job.

e2: lol just go to the frat rape attempt scene. Ye gods.

e3: is this show for children? The above scene makes me not think so, but I feel way too old to be watching this poo poo.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 23, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

I know tons of people who drink like that all the time :confused:

The only thing better than drinking alone is investing a lot of time and effort into doing it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why I barely drink. I'm alone all the time so why bother.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Lagertha is like 70 years old right

I wish Katheryn Winnick was in more things because she is loving gorgeous.

That battle scene, holy poo poo.

I don't know the budget for this show is but it continues to amaze me what they manage to do with it. The fact that they made an invasion of ancient Paris look convincing was really impressive.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I know I'm late to the party, but I've been slow binging Halt and Catch Fire for the last few months and just got to the tail end of season 4 and jesus christ these episodes hit me like a truck. I don't think a show since Six Feet Under's affected me like this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

hope and vaseline posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I've been slow binging Halt and Catch Fire for the last few months and just got to the tail end of season 4 and jesus christ these episodes hit me like a truck. I don't think a show since Six Feet Under's affected me like this.

HACF is a hell of a show. I’m glad you decided to watch it. Everybody should.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gonz posted:

I never would have given it a chance without the echo chamber of praise in this thread, so thanks guys.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That Runaways trailer makes it look like the show belongs on the CW. Super cheesy, old people pretending to be young and everyone is beautiful and perfect.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

That Runaways trailer makes it look like the show belongs on the CW. Super cheesy, old people pretending to be young and everyone is beautiful and perfect.

It's Josh Schwartz/Steph Savage so, yeah.

And it's glorious.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

Isn't the first season supposed to be lovely? I dont have any patience. I quit out of Runaways before the first episode ended.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It's so goddamn good and literally nobody else I know watched it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shageletic posted:

Isn't the first season supposed to be lovely? I dont have any patience. I quit out of Runaways before the first episode ended.

It starts out in the vein of a Mad Men type show but there's a little revamp in season 2 to put equal focus on the female characters. There's some irritating stuff with the Cameron character throughout the series but it's a really good show. I think you can just start in season 2 if you wanted to.

Also it's not a fast paced show. Some of the best episodes feel like you're watching a stage play.

Looten Plunder posted:

I wish Katheryn Winnick was in more things because she is loving gorgeous.

That battle scene, holy poo poo.

I don't know the budget for this show is but it continues to amaze me what they manage to do with it. The fact that they made an invasion of ancient Paris look convincing was really impressive.

Agree overall but I never bought into the Paris setting. We pretty much only see two settings, either the royal court or that one cramped town set. It really felt small and unconvincing compared to all the beautiful cinematography of England and Kattegat.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 23, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I think you can just start in season 2 if you wanted to.

Eehhh....I wouldn't recommend this. I apparently liked the first season a lot more than other people but I think the first season is pretty important to watch. There's a lot of backstory and character building and establishing the relationships between the main cast.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season one is fine, people were just rubbed the wrong way by AMC clearly trying to make a show to take over after Mad Men. But it's still good TV and moves at a fair clip. It's important imho anyway because it gives more context to the people in what is p much a character drama.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Runaways is the most faithful translation of a comic book I've yet seen. It's so decompressed they've managed to spin out the first 2/3rds of a well-paced pilot into three episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

Runaways is the most faithful translation of a comic book I've yet seen. It's so decompressed they've managed to spin out the first 2/3rds of a well-paced pilot into three episodes.
I finally started reading it today.... been meaning too for 3 years.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

McSpanky posted:

Is Bendis involved?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I think you're overstating things a bit -- it's not thaaaat faithful.

They're changed a fair bit (removing characters, changing characters, expanding some roles significantly) but I honestly don't think that matters very much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think you're overstating things a bit -- it's not thaaaat faithful.

They're changed a fair bit (removing characters, changing characters, expanding some roles significantly) but I honestly don't think that matters very much.

It was mostly a joke about writing for the trade, or in this case writing for the binge, but I don't think there's been many really substantial changes either. The pacing is just gossamer-thin though, when the credits for the first ep came up I seriously thought my player had skipped ahead by half.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

#fuckscientology

You'd think being a publicist for one of the most evil entities on earth she'd have enough experience to fake human empathy. Guess with there supposedly being so few actual scientologists left they're running low on talent.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Halt & Catch Fire, oh poo poo Scoot McNairy is in a Western (Godless)? Welp guess I know what I'm watching next.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GobiasIndustries posted:

Eehhh....I wouldn't recommend this. I apparently liked the first season a lot more than other people but I think the first season is pretty important to watch. There's a lot of backstory and character building and establishing the relationships between the main cast.

I thought season 1 was great. That said watching it binge style might hide some it’s flaws.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We binged the first three Runaways last night and it's real good but ho-ly shi-it is Gert annoying. I know that's intentional but still. They might as well have just literally named her Tumblr.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gert is awesome and my favorite of the characters so far, the actress’s delivery is perfect and the updating of the character from third wave feminist from SJW makes sense.

She doesn’t seem particularly overbearing to me but then again I know a woman who is literally Tumblr personified so...

Really all the characters are on point besides Chase, and he’s close enough.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

We binged the first three Runaways last night and it's real good but ho-ly shi-it is Gert annoying. I know that's intentional but still. They might as well have just literally named her Tumblr.

Gert was basically the pre alpha version of a tumblrina in the comics, so it fits.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Agree overall but I never bought into the Paris setting. We pretty much only see two settings, either the royal court or that one cramped town set. It really felt small and unconvincing compared to all the beautiful cinematography of England and Kattegat.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I felt like there was a ton of settings. There was of course the really cool aerial shots of the city/river, the ramparts set when they were trying to climb the ladders, the marsh/outpost set where they tried to ambush the guard tower, the slaughter bridge with the crossbow.

Now that I've written that, none of that actually screams "Paris" and could have been anywhere, but the whole thing still felt epic at the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jason Katims is pretty much making Friday Night Lights again for NBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7HHOjnipS4

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jason Katims is pretty much making Friday Night Lights again for NBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7HHOjnipS4

You say that like it’s a bad thing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Looks more like a serious Glee from that trailer. Or like a crossover where if the Glee team were at the same school as the Friday Night Lights football team.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think I can buy Josh Radnor in a serious, coach Taylor role.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The best role Josh Radnor ever had was a random guy in Not Another Teen Movie who only had like 2 lines.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I, too, can't think of a single reason why someone would be reluctant to speak out about abuse where Scientology is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't think I can buy Josh Radnor in a serious, coach Taylor role.

I actually think that's surprisingly good casting. Like, I never would of thought of it, but it's great when I hear it.

• Locked thread