Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Fall of the Trident Mission 26: Union

I'm switching my update day to be Sunday rather than Monday since that's more convenient for my work nowadays. Here's the last easy mission before things get interesting again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I presume that the implied outcome fromloki's plot is that the tribes you recruited before are devastated by the infighting. In part I presume because the designers did not think people would generally assassinate the leaders and have people end up with a game crushing army.

That's also the thing that makes Loki's plot look utterly ineffective.

[edit] That previous mission was probably supposed to be a mess of orgiastic destruction as you just mash armies against each other and end up with a huge mess and bodycount.

Munin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 20, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Another week, another mission utterly chumped

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why were there Egyptian statues in the beginning of that cutscene? Why, they must have been left there by Gypsies!

sorry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The remastered game is now on steam sale for about eight bucks including the China expansion, so I knuckled down and bought it.

I blame this LP for it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. That Valkyrie. I mean, on one hand, you're later in the campaign, it makes sense to power up your core. On the other hand, our boy Arkantos is getting himself into bigger and bigger company.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing I'll point out regarding Reginleif's damage; her damage per shot may be higher than Ajax, but, correct me if I'm wrong, her attack speed is *way* slower, isn't it? Combined with possible accuracy issues because ranged attack, and her damage output actually becomes pretty mediocre.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

BlazetheInferno posted:

One thing I'll point out regarding Reginleif's damage; her damage per shot may be higher than Ajax, but, correct me if I'm wrong, her attack speed is *way* slower, isn't it? Combined with possible accuracy issues because ranged attack, and her damage output actually becomes pretty mediocre.

I believe that's actually her DPS and that spears do MORE than the listed damage because her attack speed is slow. Accuracy issues do reduce her power it's true, but most of the enemies you fight end up stationary pretty quickly anyway.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I'm having some software problems that will set me back about a week on the next video

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I found this thread this Thursday, binged it all.

It's so much fun seeing Age of Mythology again, brings back loads of pleasant memories. And as someone who just never managed to wrap their head around RTS gameplay, it's amazing to see missions I took attempt after attempt to beat done in minutes.

Also, could I get a brief run-down of what I should build with the atlanatian faction in their campaign? I keep hearing about such and such unit in the fall of the trident campaign being useless; something I remember reading about on the old AOM-heaven forums with testers wondering why Spearmen weren't cost effective against Greek Cavalry and why were Hoplites beating Myrmidons.
Needless to say, I'm not even sure if a unit even does what it says it does. Not to mention the whole 'expensive units with no healing and no dedicated siege weapon'.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Monocled Falcon posted:

I found this thread this Thursday, binged it all.

It's so much fun seeing Age of Mythology again, brings back loads of pleasant memories. And as someone who just never managed to wrap their head around RTS gameplay, it's amazing to see missions I took attempt after attempt to beat done in minutes.

Also, could I get a brief run-down of what I should build with the atlanatian faction in their campaign? I keep hearing about such and such unit in the fall of the trident campaign being useless; something I remember reading about on the old AOM-heaven forums with testers wondering why Spearmen weren't cost effective against Greek Cavalry and why were Hoplites beating Myrmidons.
Needless to say, I'm not even sure if a unit even does what it says it does. Not to mention the whole 'expensive units with no healing and no dedicated siege weapon'.

Glad you enjoy this LP so much!

You should indeed be suspicious of whether units do what they say, it's often complete lies- particularly with counter units. Many counter units are actually complete trash against the thing they're supposed to counter. Egyptian spearmen basically have no bonus at all against cavalry; they're just a generic infantry unit so they'll be massacred by cavalry that are actually solid against infantry. Meanwhile, other counter units which are allegedly "only good against X" are actually super-powerful units which massacre X as icing on the cake. Huskarls, Mounted Archers, etc.. I love this game, but it was an unacceptably bad design decision to have combat rely so heavily upon completely hidden multipliers.

Now the Atlantean campaign on titan difficulty is a serious challenge, especially the first few missions. Nothing you've seen me go up against in Fall of the Trident even comes close, so don't be surprised if you're having some trouble.

Generally speaking, the simplest (but not the fastest) approach to most Atlantean campaign missions is to build masses and masses of arcuses. Don't bother with your classical age units, all of them are trash except the murmillo. Just do what you have to to get to heroic age and churn out the arcuses. Kastor is a spectacularly powerful hero and you should use him as a tank and make maximum use of his instant kill ability. I recommend you have him get the enemy's attention but then mostly keep him running around while that ability recharges so that he takes fewer hits.

The Atlanteans actually DO have a healing unit, the Caladria. The Caladria is one of the best healers in the game; its heal rate is ludicrously high (double that of priests and valkyries). Servants of Oceanus suck but can also heal in a pinch (and there are a couple of levels on which you can't train any land myth units but they forgot to disallow naval myth units). If you're Kronos then you can't pick Oceanus, but they rarely make you play as him. Also you can get the Heroic Renewal upgrade and turn any unit you want into a regenerating hero if need be. So I won't say the Atlanteans have the best healing, but they do have quite a lot available.

Other than that, follow my general lead by playing super aggressively with your starting forces to score some easy victories before the enemy sends big waves. Try to secure needed resources and useful choke points early, then hold the line with towers and palaces and a growing force of archers until you're ready. That's the most surefire beginner way to beat Titan difficulty I would say.

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

All this talk of units having incorrect documentation makes me wonder if the AI knows the true potential of each unit, or if it produces counters according to the documentation?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Deffon posted:

All this talk of units having incorrect documentation makes me wonder if the AI knows the true potential of each unit, or if it produces counters according to the documentation?

Sorta according to the documentation, though it's not even too bright about that.

In good news, I've solved all the problems that stopped me making the next video, so I'm working on it now and should have it done on Sunday.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

Sorta according to the documentation, though it's not even too bright about that.

In good news, I've solved all the problems that stopped me making the next video, so I'm working on it now and should have it done on Sunday.

I think I can hear your game's ai screaming in terror from here.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Here's the next episode: Fall of the Trident Mission 27: The Well of Urd

It's one of my favorite missions, and a big part of why I've always loved the Norse campaign so much.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Always a pleasure to watch these videos. You destroyed this mission as well.

I never thought to use siege rams as tanks before, thought it makes sense. Its a couple guys carrying around a tree trunk, so it doesn't look like they should have massive piles of HP, but they do. That's a good use of them.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Well played :golfclap:

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
I can't help but feel that the Fall of the Trident would be really fun as a D&D campaign.

It'd probably be a lot harder than this in that form. You seem almost preternaturally skilled with this game at times. Do you have to redo the missions a lot to get a proper run?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose any hero will take a sip when they are there? :v:

Bacchante posted:

I can't help but feel that the Fall of the Trident would be really fun as a D&D campaign.
Yeah, I've thought the same.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I have such fond memories of this game. I was always such poo poo at it, though, I've got absolutely zero aggressive instincts and always just turtled until I could have my army walk through everything. Wish I had some free time, but that's life, so I'll have to live this vicariously through you. Really fun LP!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Karia posted:

I have such fond memories of this game. I was always such poo poo at it, though, I've got absolutely zero aggressive instincts and always just turtled until I could have my army walk through everything. Wish I had some free time, but that's life, so I'll have to live this vicariously through you. Really fun LP!

I'm glad you like it!

Bacchante posted:

You seem almost preternaturally skilled with this game at times. Do you have to redo the missions a lot to get a proper run?

Why thank you! Generally speaking I don't need to do more than one or two takes to get an elegant victory, but I do a HUGE number of takes trying to get my lines just right. For this mission I had my strategy down perfectly before I even posted the previous video, but I spent weeks doing 114 different takes until I had one where I thought I delivered all my commentary well enough.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

I'm glad you like it!

Why thank you! Generally speaking I don't need to do more than one or two takes to get an elegant victory, but I do a HUGE number of takes trying to get my lines just right. For this mission I had my strategy down perfectly before I even posted the previous video, but I spent weeks doing 114 different takes until I had one where I thought I delivered all my commentary well enough.
Have you considered doing post commentary?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

He does, it's just a matter of fitting everything in the rather short timeframe available.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Asehujiko posted:

His last three LPs were screenshot LPs if that's what you mean. It wouldn't be a good fit for an RTS though imo.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

His last three LPs were screenshot LPs if that's what you mean. It wouldn't be a good fit for an RTS though imo.

No, they mean record the mission and then talk over it afterwards. It has upsides and downsides.

I do kind of miss some of the instructive elements from the screenshot LPs. He still does a lot of that, but it's a lot harder to track when he's maximizing APM at the same time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many units can breach walls like that one hero, or is she the only warrior-jumper?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Glazius posted:

How many units can breach walls like that one hero, or is she the only warrior-jumper?

egyptian anubites

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
^^:

Also Bellerophon (Greek hero) and White Tiger (Chinese Myth unit).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Qrr posted:

No, they mean record the mission and then talk over it afterwards. It has upsides and downsides.

I do kind of miss some of the instructive elements from the screenshot LPs. He still does a lot of that, but it's a lot harder to track when he's maximizing APM at the same time.

That's what he already does.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Banemaster posted:

^^:

Also Bellerophon (Greek hero) and White Tiger (Chinese Myth unit).

One of the developers said something silly about not wanting to give jumping to sphinxes because it would "take away from the coolness of anubites" but then they gave it to everybody. I think there are even a couple more besides the ones you mentioned, but if so they slip my mind at the moment.

Qrr posted:

I do some post commentary and some live commentary for this. Generally speaking my goal is to get it as close to 100% live commentary as possible, but then cram in a few more details where I can find space in post commentary. I like the authenticity of live commentary for one thing, but more importantly it seems to be the only way to get my timing 100% right and natural.

As for the instructive elements, I'm glad you liked those. They remain one of my favorite parts of doing these things. I do kind of miss being able to just go to town on a tactical subject for pages on end, but age of mythology is a simpler game than Fire Emblem and definitely than Civilization anyway.

If there's a topic you'd like me to talk more about (or a way you'd like me to cover them differently), I'd be happy to. So far I've tried to balance commentary on singleplayer and multiplayer tactics, game mechanics, and general RTS tactics.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I don't have any specific input other than to say I'm enjoying your LP.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just wanted to let people know that the Extended Edition is currently on sale for $7.49 on Steam.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Back to not very good missions at last!

Fall of the Trident Mission 28: Beneath the Surface

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nippleheim.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This whole sequence feels... considerably more flaccid than I remember it. I guess not playing a game for 12+ years will do that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

RIP horsebro, you were almost usable

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, especially after the clowning you've been putting on this game, a cinematic loss is just a bad joke.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It could have been sold with enough effort, can't micro your way out of a volcano exploding for example.

But it would have needed the effort.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Glazius posted:

Man, especially after the clowning you've been putting on this game, a cinematic loss is just a bad joke.

Even if I actually struggle with a game I hate cinematic losses, but they're at their most exasperating when it's easy like this. However, I do greatly enjoy when a game can actually make the protagonist's situation feel increasingly desperate despite even while you win a few battles. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin did a phenomenal job of that as one example. Unfortunately I don't think many other game writers took notes about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Just stumbled in, and wow, I am really intrigued by this one. I never played it before, but I was a huge fan of AoE3 (and 2, obviously.) I can really see the influences this had on AoE 3, and while I still don't own this one to give it a try, it's making me want to go back and replay 3 again. Thanks, Melth!

• Locked thread