Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This guy was going down the highway this morning and got off at the same exit I did. No straps at all that I could see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

The other jon bois videos are pretty great too

And yeah i didn't read the article first. Don't think that guy actually believes the earth is flat.

And have no flat earthers tried sticking a camera on a weather balloon?

You can't trust a camera on a weather balloon because the lens of the camera is curved and will make flat surfaces seem curved at a distance.

Or so I've heard.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Gorilla Salad posted:

Would have been so loving good in the latest Mad Max movie.

Didn't they use one of those in the gigantic battle scene in Tango & Cash?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Memento posted:

Not as bad as you'd think - they have a diesel engine on board that runs a generator, that feeds electric motors in each hub. So the engine runs at the optimal revs for efficiency.

I mean, relatively not that bad, still like 300L/hour.

I've mentioned before that my father works on these for a living. They dont even burn diesel in their mine anymore. They burn refined hog fat. Smell's terrible and ruins all of seals in one of those trucks in about 3 months. Dad said it costs about $10,000 to replace them, but the mine save $500,000 a quarter on fuel costs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/e3OmK0R.mp4

Where are the guardrails? And those stairs!?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

And that rear end in a top hat pushing past everyone on a narrow, slippery trail.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The bits that get me are when that rear end in a top hat follows people really closely on the segments pointing straight out from the cliff, where one slip would make him stumble into them and push them off.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow people from a place called knife crime island are under-educated who would have guessed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Not just using them, selling them too!

Pretty sure there was something similar made in the USA, but I can't remember enough details to find it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Is this the only train-hits-truck video in which the train loses?

"797: the truck big enough to ignore trains" should be in the marketing.

The train certainly didn't look like a full-on cargo-loaded train, nor was it moving at an appreciable speed. Even a full-sized 797 at full wouldn't take a 50-car train, the math just doesn't add up.

Keep in mind that the first few cars are going to be crushed like soda cans between the truck and the rest of the train, as well.

I'd be interested to know if there's any scientific validity to any of the processes. Has there been a scientific study on dowsing?

mobby_6kl posted:

Passing on the outside is about as safety conscious as that can get. Also the boots are a good deal better than the shoes some of them are wearing. Camera operator was at least prepared.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mistle posted:

I'd be interested to know if there's any scientific validity to any of the processes. Has there been a scientific study on dowsing?
Every double blind test falls right in line with random chance.

The big trick with Dowsing is that you dig deep enough you nearly always hit water and 'validate' the reading.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mistle posted:

Absolutely none, dowsing is pure woo.

I suppose if you were walking through an electromagnetic field strong enough to perturb a metal rod in your hand you could use that to find the source, but that's probably not an environment humans should be anywhere near.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GotLag posted:

Pretty sure there was something similar made in the USA, but I can't remember enough details to find it.

A number of police and rescue forces fell for a bullshit "heartbeat detector" that could supposedly locate people trapped in buildings or under rubble by picking up the electromagnetic signal of their heart beating.

http://skepdic.com/essays/dowsingfordollars.html
http://skepdic.com/dkl.html

A number of others were duped by bullshit bomb detectors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniffex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

People in general are credulous ninnies.

Darkhold posted:

The big trick with Dowsing is that you dig deep enough you nearly always hit water and 'validate' the reading.

Also, people with sufficient training and experience might be able to locate water by observation of surface features. With that plus the ideomotor effect, presto, you find water with a dowsing rod. But you'd have been able to find it without a dowsing rod.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 22, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Cirith Ungol is beautiful in spring

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GotLag posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36540816

quote:

McCormick is thought to have made £50m from sales of the fake devices - his trial heard of one invoice showing sales of £38m over three years in Iraq alone.
They came to be used and trusted by soldiers, police, border guards, and hotel security staff.
McCormick would buy novelty "golf ball detectors", which were little more than radio aerials, from the US for less than $20 each (£14), before selling them as bomb detectors for $5,000 each (£3,500), his trial heard.

Phanatic posted:

People in general are credulous ninnies. greedy bastards

Sell them to a govt for $5,000 each. Govt official gets $3,000 in cash, he still makes $1,900 in profit per unit.

Everyone's a winner!

quote:

On Oct. 25, 2009, terrorists carrying two tons of explosives got right past the magic bomb sniffer and detonated their cargo, killing 155 people. Two months later, it happened again, with 127 people killed.

Well, almost everyone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

A number of police and rescue forces fell for a bullshit "heartbeat detector" that could supposedly locate people trapped in buildings or under rubble by picking up the electromagnetic signal of their heart beating.

http://skepdic.com/essays/dowsingfordollars.html
http://skepdic.com/dkl.html

A number of others were duped by bullshit bomb detectors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniffex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

Haven't certain police departments consulted with psychics as well in, like, missing persons cases? This type of stuff is always ridiculous, and would be funny if it weren't tragic and often expensive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

Haven't certain police departments consulted with psychics as well in, like, missing persons cases?

Yes.

Also, most of the "forensics" people routinely get convicted based on (Blood spatter analysis, bite mark analysis, fiber analysis, arson analysis, bullet matching, and to a larger degree than you probably think, fingerprint analysis) is total bullshit pseudoscience and should never be allowed within a mile of a courtroom. But it is, because that's that's the way we've always done it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jamal posted:

The other jon bois videos are pretty great too

And yeah i didn't read the article first. Don't think that guy actually believes the earth is flat.

And have no flat earthers tried sticking a camera on a weather balloon?

Out of morbid curiosity, I once clicked on a youtube link titled something like "FLAT EARTH PROVEN FROM AIRPLANE!!". A man takes a plane ride and films a spirit level that he has placed on the tray table. The bubble remains centered for the entire flight (aircraft motion notwithstanding), which to him indicates that the earth must be flat, because if it were curved then the angle to the ground would gradually increase as the plane travels forwards and the bubble level would reflect that.

These people aren't really operating from the same reality as the rest of us.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.
Hank Hill should not shingle!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sagebrush posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, I once clicked on a youtube link titled something like "FLAT EARTH PROVEN FROM AIRPLANE!!". A man takes a plane ride and films a spirit level that he has placed on the tray table. The bubble remains centered for the entire flight (aircraft motion notwithstanding), which to him indicates that the earth must be flat, because if it were curved then the angle to the ground would gradually increase as the plane travels forwards and the bubble level would reflect that.

Here's a video that proves that the sun 'setting' at the end of every day isn't proof of a round earth, it's proof that the earth is flat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7K6r6zZLs

ExaminE the facts, DOn;t believe NASA's lies!! :tinfoil:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phanatic posted:

Also, people with sufficient training and experience might be able to locate water by observation of surface features. With that plus the ideomotor effect, presto, you find water with a dowsing rod. But you'd have been able to find it without a dowsing rod.
Dowsing rods are fidget spinners for old people, they help you focus on a single task.

But even in the case of past experience in well digging it really is just a case of you'll be right eventually, the sort of geology that spits out actionable info on water/petroleum well viability are probability based and are the sort of results that say there's an N% chance that any hole you dig every however many feet will probably maybe have a reservoir you care about.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

zedprime posted:

Dowsing rods are fidget spinners for old people
new thread title

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Absolutely. And it can be strangely specific. My high school chemistry teacher spent a day mocking the golf-ball finder that the infamous bomb-finders were based on (or just shipped across the Atlantic and re-packaged for a zillion percent markup). He tossed a golf ball around the room with his eyes closed, then found it based on the students laughing and exchanging glances when he got close to it with the "antenna". It was a pretty entertaining, if somewhat exaggerated, demonstration of the ideomotor effect and confirmation bias.

Then, at the end of the class, he said something about the Second Law of Thermodynamics and how that disproved Evolution. :psyduck:
He was a hardcore, young-Earth Creationist, so I got some eye rolls when I visited him halfway through my first year at university and told him about the first year Biology courses I was taking.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Never knew spirit levels were the full name.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SpacePig posted:

Haven't certain police departments consulted with psychics as well in, like, missing persons cases? This type of stuff is always ridiculous, and would be funny if it weren't tragic and often expensive.

I heard that psychics who know where the body is are known as a "prime suspect".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Maybe the ones who give bad info actually did it but also foresaw that (because they are psychic) so pretended to not know O_O

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I find this both soothing and alarming. That's an odd sensation.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mllaneza posted:

I find this both soothing and alarming. That's an odd sensation.

It is just a sign that the sloth based neurotoxin is working.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

I remember Tom Clancy falling for this and making it a major part of the book Rainbow Six.

Yeah, Sniffex is the American one I was thinking of. Did anybody end up going to prison over it? At least Britain jailed the fucker behind the ADE 651.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

GotLag posted:

I remember Tom Clancy falling for this and making it a major part of the book Rainbow Six.

Yeah, Sniffex is the American one I was thinking of. Did anybody end up going to prison over it? At least Britain jailed the fucker behind the ADE 651.

Was gonna say the Tom Clancy thing as well.

When trying to find some nerd picking it to shreds on their blog or in an article, I instead found that MIT researchers have pretty much built the drat thing in 2014.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GotLag posted:

Did he fall for it or just use it in the book and proceeding game because it was and is cool sounding?

Honestly wondering if you have an article about him talking about it.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Sagebrush posted:

wrap it up, sphere cucks

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I can't find anything detailed because it's from so long ago, but there's an LA Times article that mentions it: http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/24/local/me-26013

Page 2:

quote:

Clancy, who has a reputation for great technical accuracy in his works, uses a souped-up version of LifeGuard in his newest novel, "Rainbow Six." In the denouement, a special anti-terrorist team uses the device to pinpoint the location of bad guys in dense forest.

In a telephone interview, Clancy said he was told about the device by a retired assistant director of the FBI, who claimed it was very effective. "It's possible I have been conned, but if so, it was done expertly," Clancy said.

The retired FBI man is Daniels of Daniels-Burke & Associates, a security consulting firm in McLean, Va. "We have 27 years of law enforcement experience," he told The Times. "We're smart enough not to be dealing with something that is a fraud."

"We're smart enough not to be dealing with something that is a fraud," says man who falls for and assists in propagating fraud.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The best part of the rainbow six videogame was that you could give your entire team a deadly plague.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wall Balls posted:

wrap it up, sphere cucks

Reminds me of an apparently earnest argument that global warming is impossible because conservation of energy would require some kind of outside source of energy. Checkmate, climate alarmists!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GotLag posted:

Reminds me of an apparently earnest argument that global warming is impossible because conservation of energy would require some kind of outside source of energy. Checkmate, climate alarmists!

I just...

I think it's the willful ignorance that grinds my gears the most. I get not having the education or realizing the information is out there. But being presented with undeniable facts and turning away from them... I don't get it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
May I point you all to the pseudoscience thread? It could use some love at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's baby's first ignorance troll.