Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

M_Sinistrari posted:

Another wierdness thing I just noticed. I have gotten some costume unlock drops and they don't seem to unlock to account like stuff bought from the UNTIL store. I popped a bunch of irradiated unlocks that were drops on one toon, but with the others they don't seem to show up until I've hit the appropriate perk that they'd unlock with at the UNTIL store. Is this normal or have I goofed somewhere with unlocking?

AFAIK, all costume pieces are account-wide. Some emotes, however, are not and are on a per-character basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nonexistence posted:

Hit by a nostalgia wave for CoH and it made me think - I remember having so much fun right from the get go on every character running through the sewers and hollows and lowbie zones, whereas every other MMO I can think of basically expects you to happily slog through unfun content forever to get to the "real experience." I'm sure later on I would've felt things moved slow without vet powers at very low levels but still.

Also, obligatory "what are you playing now if you still need to fill the MMO void?" post. Seriously is any MMO but FFXIV fun right now?

I shill for Guild Wars 2 a lot and I generally hate MMOs.
Base game is free, they just released a new expansion that give THE BEST MOUNTS in any MMO to date.

Content is dense but generally easy.
End game is dress up.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I shill for Guild Wars 2 a lot and I generally hate MMOs.
Base game is free, they just released a new expansion that give THE BEST MOUNTS in any MMO to date.

Content is dense but generally easy.
End game is dress up.

Counterpoint: Guild Wars 1 & 2 are products of NCsoft. As a former CoX player, I believe that NCsoft's board & shareholders can permanently go gently caress themselves with rusty saw blades.

Hail HydraArachnos

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 2, 2017

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Brave New World posted:

Counterpoint: Guild Wars 1 & 2 are products of NCsoft. As a former CoX player, I believe that NCsoft's board & shareholders can permanently go gently caress themselves with rusty saw blades.

Hail HydraArachnos

I got some bad news for you if you're only playing games based on whether or not they're published by assholes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pesterchum posted:

I got some bad news for you if you're only playing games based on whether or not they're published by assholes.

On the other hand, if you factor into your purchasing decisions how a developer or publisher has marginalized you and the things you enjoy, picking the games you invest in becomes much easier.

I haven't had to get disappointed by Bioware in seven years now! And it's hard to describe how much my life has improved since cutting Bethesda RPGs out of it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Milky Moor posted:

AFAIK, all costume pieces are account-wide. Some emotes, however, are not and are on a per-character basis.

Best way I can describe it is it's like it's an account unlock with conditions on the drops while the from the UNTIL store unlocks just fine. Even doing a costume piece search at the tailor doesn't have the drop unlocks show up but they still are flagged as unlocked in the UNTIL store.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

On the other hand, if you factor into your purchasing decisions how a developer or publisher has marginalized you and the things you enjoy, picking the games you invest in becomes much easier.

I haven't had to get disappointed by Bioware in seven years now! And it's hard to describe how much my life has improved since cutting Bethesda RPGs out of it.

What did Dragon Age ever do to you? (We don't include 2. It is a universal sufferage.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What did Dragon Age ever do to you? (We don't include 2. It is a universal sufferage.)

Introduced me to them at an optimal time to be disappointed. I played three Bioware games in total, over the span of maybe four-five months, and the response was as follows:

Dragon Age Origins: Pretty good, not great. Has massive balance problems, but if they managed to bump up the weaker types of magic to be as good as the REALLY good ones I would have absolutely no complaints, although it still wouldn't have hit too many heights for me. It largely met my expectations, and I knew they had a neat sci-fi series; I love sci-fi, so naturally a few months later, after I finished DA:O (with a lot of difficulty because I couldn't un-gently caress my character after I made the mistake of focusing on lightning magic) I got hold of

Mass Effect: Holy poo poo, it's like they reached into my brain and wrote a design doc around the stuff I most enjoy! Sure, it fumbles the execution--exploration is fun but a little too samey, calling the inventory system a 'system' is a bit too generous, parts of the story are a tad uninspired. But it's exactly what I didn't know I wanted: a big goddamn Space Adventure, with weird aliens, cool spaceships, laser guns, fancy alien planets, and crazy tech! Sure it was technically a shooter, which I wasn't crazy about, but I loved that it was a shooter/RPG hybrid with such heavy focus on the RPG mechanics that I didn't have to be good at the shooting. In fact, I could customize my character and equipment to such a degree that I didn't need to be able to hit the broad side of a barn, I could focus entirely on my skills. I remember the night I finished that game, I spent like an hour grooving to that credits theme before immediately moving on to what I was sure would be a polished continuation of this flawed but promising package.

Mass Effect 2: It was not a polished continuation. In fact, it paid nothing but lip service to the things I liked. Instead, I got a third-person-shooter (which again, I'm not crazy about) with RPG elements too light for me to go hard on, that had ultimately no exploration or customization worth writing home about. I feel like the entire approach to ME2 was to throw out what didn't work in favor of what others had succeeded with, but all the things it threw out were things I liked. So I was left thinking that it had some nice vistas, and that's about it for me.

I never even got to Dragon Age 2, let alone Mass Effect 3 or Andromeda, I noped out on what was debatably one of their best games.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cleretic posted:

Introduced me to them at an optimal time to be disappointed. I played three Bioware games in total, over the span of maybe four-five months, and the response was as follows:

Dragon Age Origins: Pretty good, not great. Has massive balance problems, but if they managed to bump up the weaker types of magic to be as good as the REALLY good ones I would have absolutely no complaints, although it still wouldn't have hit too many heights for me. It largely met my expectations, and I knew they had a neat sci-fi series; I love sci-fi, so naturally a few months later, after I finished DA:O (with a lot of difficulty because I couldn't un-gently caress my character after I made the mistake of focusing on lightning magic) I got hold of

Mass Effect: Holy poo poo, it's like they reached into my brain and wrote a design doc around the stuff I most enjoy! Sure, it fumbles the execution--exploration is fun but a little too samey, calling the inventory system a 'system' is a bit too generous, parts of the story are a tad uninspired. But it's exactly what I didn't know I wanted: a big goddamn Space Adventure, with weird aliens, cool spaceships, laser guns, fancy alien planets, and crazy tech! Sure it was technically a shooter, which I wasn't crazy about, but I loved that it was a shooter/RPG hybrid with such heavy focus on the RPG mechanics that I didn't have to be good at the shooting. In fact, I could customize my character and equipment to such a degree that I didn't need to be able to hit the broad side of a barn, I could focus entirely on my skills. I remember the night I finished that game, I spent like an hour grooving to that credits theme before immediately moving on to what I was sure would be a polished continuation of this flawed but promising package.

Mass Effect 2: It was not a polished continuation. In fact, it paid nothing but lip service to the things I liked. Instead, I got a third-person-shooter (which again, I'm not crazy about) with RPG elements too light for me to go hard on, that had ultimately no exploration or customization worth writing home about. I feel like the entire approach to ME2 was to throw out what didn't work in favor of what others had succeeded with, but all the things it threw out were things I liked. So I was left thinking that it had some nice vistas, and that's about it for me.

I never even got to Dragon Age 2, let alone Mass Effect 3 or Andromeda, I noped out on what was debatably one of their best games.

I love DA:Inquisition and feel the exact same way as you do to ME1, ME2, and DA:Origins. I loved Inquisition so much, I was hoping that Andromeda would not be poo poo...:(

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
So what's the consensus on how well/lovely the new Witchcraft powers are performing? I hadn't played in a while prior to the anniversary, and some of the new effects I was seeing during Alerts looked really interesting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
All of the recent reviewed ATs are pretty good, the Hexslinger and Witch are both solid. They're not as flexible as what you can do with a Freeform character but they're completely fine even vs. cosmics. Soul Beam is one of the best single target maintains. The new heal they created when they released the Witch AT (Life Essence) is very good in some situations, and the crowd control option for the AT is pretty good also. I haven't tried a lot of the other brand new powers because I only have one FF slot but they're generally well-received.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Stupid question, but is there an UNTIL vendor that sells the later zone mobs gear? The one in Millennium City has the clothes unlocks for the mobs you find there, but are there ones for the places like Vibora Bay? I just finished the Vibora Bay intro and I couldn't seem to find a vendor like that when I got into the city proper. Also, when I talked to the cop at the docks, he mentioned going to the Powerhouse for a Tier 4 power and nothing was available when I got there. Is it just old dialog that was just left there or do I need to retcon?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure that the Vibora costume pieces are drops only. You can, of course, get them on the AH but they're more expensive than any of the other area mob drops.

I think the Level 4 powers require you to have a power slot available in your build and aren't available on any of the archetypes. Thinking about it, I'm not sure if there's any beyond one called something like Energy Storm. Unless the Ultimates like Showdown and such are them.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 11, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I was more thinking since I'm having the weirdness with the earlier zone costume unlock drops which seems to be bypassed by buying from the UNTIL vendor, might as well cut out the middle man and head for a new vendor. The toon in question is a Solider AT that I can retcon around her points if it's a matter of not having points available. As she plays fine as is it's not like I'm hurting with what content I do, but I was more curious as to what these Tier 4 powers were and googling around tends to pull up outdated info more than current.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Vibora costume pieces are drops only. You can, of course, get them on the AH but they're more expensive than any of the other area mob drops.

I think the Level 4 powers require you to have a power slot available in your build and aren't available on any of the archetypes. Thinking about it, I'm not sure if there's any beyond one called something like Energy Storm. Unless the Ultimates like Showdown and such are them.

Energy Storm was one, so was the Gravity Grenade thingy at the end of tech, and I think the Psionic tree had the damage reflecting one. Looking back, Vibora was great but the T4s just didn't feel right. They are entirely skippable.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Vibora Bay Apocalypse is really good and I wish you could go back and play it like the other area intros.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Vibora Bay Apocalypse is really good and I wish you could go back and play it like the other area intros.

I'm actually looking forward to replaying it on my other toons. It's saying something for me of all people who pokes fun at others talking about their 'immersion' in games, but I found I was starting to get into it and getting all 'holy poo poo!' when certain things happened.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Man, its been awhile, I think itll be fun to give this a go again at the very least to play around with costumes for a bit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CO remains a great game, have fun :)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Can't seem to get them to accept the new credit card I'm using since the old one expired. Just get a decline error with no other explanation.

Guess I'm gonna have to go through support.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

Oooh they redid TK a bit, had to redo my powers on my Disciple but I was able to still crit for over 20k with Ego Blade Annihilation, on top of all the new cool costumes :D

Edit: oh they also redid The Savage too, new powers seem real cool. Also what happened to the UNITY dailies for silver champion recognitions? Cant seem to find them.

HukHukHuk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 27, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They're in the UNTIL building but the building has two entrances. One of them unlocks at low levels (UNTIL HQ) and the other, UNITY, unlocks at 40 after you do one of a couple of things (check your ingame mail and see if there's a keycard object attachment).

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I found the old terminals, they're only shiny now, I used to remember the green exclamation mark over them, oops

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart
I have started playing this game again (@valyzel), I've been on pretty regularly but the Supergoons SG seems to be extremely dead.

What there is to do anymore? What content's fun/challenging and regularly done? I've plodded through some alerts now and again but they seem trivial.

Here is my build I don't really remember what is happening in it (I got a new power from the boxes and retconned a bunch of stuff). Core thrust is "shoot mans with fire". Any thoughts?

Also I went and studied a whole bunch of HERO 5e lorebooks so I can do dumb wizard hat RP. Sad times ahead for mystic heroes. Apparently after 2020 people just stop believing.

the Val fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2017

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

the Val posted:

I have started playing this game again (@valyzel), I've been on pretty regularly but the Supergoons SG seems to be extremely dead. Are people in a new one?

I can't figure out what my build is or what it was supposed to do anymore. Actually, what there is to do anymore? What content's fun/challenging and regularly done? I've plodded through some alerts now and again but they seem trivial.
Is there a way I can export my build from the game (vs rebuilding it in a builder) so people can look at it?

Also I went and studied a whole bunch of HERO 5e lorebooks so I can do dumb wizard hat RP. Sad times ahead for mystic heroes. Apparently after 2020 people just stop believing.

After you reach level 40, there is the Qliphothic Warzone that can be unlocked by talking to Until Liaison Bradley (next to defender) and taking the mission "Hermes Revisited". QWZ and its missions (which repeat) can be soloed, but it requires a pretty sturdy build. The Elder Worm enemies are probably the hardest enemy type to deal with in that area. Thankfully doing a few missions will give you Hermes Tokens which can be used to buy devices that boost defenses against the damage types used there. The QWZ has the highest-difficutly enemies short of Cosmic-monster fights, which is what most of the game community is involved in nowadays.

The cosmic fights include Kigatilik (Canada), Qwyjibo and Teleiosaurus (both Monster Island), and Eidolon of Destruction (QWZ, but he's very difficult to unlock so he's not usually fought.) The fights are pretty structured - it's a good idea to listen to what other people are saying to do, as they require pretty precise actions to beat.

I kind of wish there was a legitimate step right below all that.
edit: I forgot about Teleios Ascendant (5-man lair with puzzle bosses) and the Mega-Destroid fight (kind of like a mini-cosmic. Zone sometimes goes on destroid hunts, but they've gotten less common. Usually happens off-season).

There isn't a way to directly export builds out of the game, but there is http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm which lets you plan and share builds.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 10, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Is Qwyjibo up with any regularity these days? When I was subbed a few years back, I wanted to solo him with my well-built Dual Blades toon, but he never seemed to be around on my daily hunt for him.

I still never got the chance to run Therakiel's Lair, and most mid-range dungeons seem to be impossible to get a group together for.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Brave New World posted:

Is Qwyjibo up with any regularity these days? When I was subbed a few years back, I wanted to solo him with my well-built Dual Blades toon, but he never seemed to be around on my daily hunt for him.

I still never got the chance to run Therakiel's Lair, and most mid-range dungeons seem to be impossible to get a group together for.

All cosmics go up about every 4 hours iirc.

You are not going to be able to solo Qwyjibo now. He got buffed. His direct attacks will one-shot characters that aren't built properly like tanks (I'm talking 70%+ damage mitigation in total on top of 10k+ HP, and also properly blocking each attack.) There's also a gimmick where he summons crystal hearts that will heal him, unless someone with mez-abilities holds them, on the offhand chance you did manage to get him down to 2/3 HP without dying. Like, that's the kind of stuff the Cosmics are like. It's very deliberately team-based design.

Inversely soloing Therakiel is possible in terms of enemy damage output and combat, but the stupid mirror gimmick stops single-players from going through the lair, it's dumb.

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow

Bluhman posted:

After you reach level 40, there is the Qliphothic Warzone that can be unlocked by talking to Until Liaison Bradley (next to defender) and taking the mission "Hermes Revisited". QWZ and its missions (which repeat) can be soloed, but it requires a pretty sturdy build. The Elder Worm enemies are probably the hardest enemy type to deal with in that area. Thankfully doing a few missions will give you Hermes Tokens which can be used to buy devices that boost defenses against the damage types used there. The QWZ has the highest-difficutly enemies short of Cosmic-monster fights, which is what most of the game community is involved in nowadays.

The cosmic fights include Kigatilik (Canada), Qwyjibo and Teleiosaurus (both Monster Island), and Eidolon of Destruction (QWZ, but he's very difficult to unlock so he's not usually fought.) The fights are pretty structured - it's a good idea to listen to what other people are saying to do, as they require pretty precise actions to beat.

I kind of wish there was a legitimate step right below all that.
edit: I forgot about Teleios Ascendant (5-man lair with puzzle bosses) and the Mega-Destroid fight (kind of like a mini-cosmic. Zone sometimes goes on destroid hunts, but they've gotten less common. Usually happens off-season).

There isn't a way to directly export builds out of the game, but there is http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm which lets you plan and share builds.

Thank you for the information & advice! I unlocked QWZ and "helped" kill Eidolon in there the first night in. It made me realise a few things, mainly that my DPS was bad and the telegraphed attack 1-shot me through my base block. So I looked up resources on the official forums and all trying to put something together that works. My priorities here were doing respectable ST & AOE damage while not automatically dying to mechanics.

In practice I think my DPS is good, but QWZ mob packs still explode the poo poo out of me when I try to tackle them alone unless I explode them first. I do not often manage to explode them first.

I have a small armload of retcon tokens for some reason so I can change easily if I've done something really stupid. Any advice?

Fire-kissed Attempt 2: Oh God Help
v2.3.2-27

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Enduring (Con: 8)
Level 9: Indomintable (Ego: 8)
Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 18: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
Level 1: Throw Fire
Level 1: Thermal Reverberation
Level 6: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Flashfire (Rank 2, Fan the Flames)
Level 17: Fire Snake (Trail Blazer)
Level 20: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
Level 23: Meteor Blaze (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Concentration
Level 32: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Conviction
Level 38: Masterful Dodge
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Flight
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Eidolon kind of hates AoE nuke builds. The green orbs he summons actually have AoE damage resistance, and they usually don't even spawn in patterns that can be nailed with most AoEs anyways (especially not fire AoEs, which are almost all spheres.)

Thermal Reverberation scales absolute best with Endurance instead of Recovery. In general, Endurance is a better stat than Rec, so you might as well sub it out in your build.

Rimefire Burst is only useful if you have a method with which to apply chill. Otherwise, it's only a modestly powerful burst-damage option that can only be used roughly once every 15 seconds. The only reason I'd think of having it is for a guaranteed, fast application of Clinging Flames, but usually the pyre patch will very easily cover for this.

Meteor Blaze is an ultimate that's locked behind a lockbox drop. It also doesn't have great synergy with the Fire set, so I'd probably stay away from it. Also, its function of leaving behind a fire patch overlaps with Flashfire (which can apply the fire patch a lot faster, and more consistently).

Eldritch Shield is a perfectly good block, especially for most cosmic fights as a DPS. With most of the set revamps going through though the fire-native block is actually pretty solid as well. Also, here's a little bit of errata that most people don't know: Chilled Form is basically Concentration, but better. The reason for this is: it can stack faster, while still scaling with Ego primarily, so full-damage potential can be reached a lot faster than with Concentration.

Conviction always should be Rank 3'd in my opinion. On non-presence based characters its base heal is way too weak in most cases, and it's used so often in most cases that it's an acceptable cost. You also should leave some advantage points for rank-ups in your travel powers. Moving around with rank-1 flight or teleport is going to take forever.

The stats and specs otherwise look fine. If you don't mind sticking to some specific theme, this is my recommended setup:

Fire-kissed Attempt 2: Oh God Help
v2.3.2-27

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Enduring (Con: 8)
Level 9: Indomintable (Ego: 8)
Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 15: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 18: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
Level 1: Throw Fire
Level 1: Thermal Reverberation
Level 6: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Chilled Form
Level 14: Incendiary Grenade (Chemical Burn, Scorched Ground)
Level 17: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Ghost Fire)
Level 20: Fire Snake
Level 23: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
Level 26: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge
Level 38: Hydra (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Incendiary Grenade with its Chemical Burn advantage gives the target the No Quarter debuff, which gives a very solid defense-debuff to Crushing and Fire damage. It's a solitary defense debuff that can be layered over Engulfing Flames. Also it's an option that can place down fire patches with a cooldown that's shorter than flashfire.

I chose Will-o-wisp since it's just extra damage that can be stacked on that scales with your passive (toxic counts as elemental). Also, like Rimefire, it is an option that can instantly apply Clinging Flames with a click in face that's something you want.

Finally since Incendiary is your source of a fire patch, Flashfire gets replaced with Hydra. This creates a Lava Pit (distinct from Fire Patch) and 4 hydra heads. Usually those heads get nuked in cosmics, but the patch can remain for yet that still tiny extra little damage. Only issue with Hydra is that it requires some Champion Recognition spending to get, which in turn, requires you to do some cosmics and stuff regularly. In its place I'd probably get something like a self-revive. Fire actually now has one that hasn't been included in the HeroCreator just yet.

On the whole the build I saw showed a pretty good understanding of how fire works: Place a patch, unleash a firesnake for some defense debuff, then conflag/incinerate your target all day. There's several reasons as to why I think Fire isn't the best option for cosmics - low range, lots of self-root, for whatever reason it's not great at damage unless there's a lot of enemies (there aren't usually a lot of enemies in cosmics)... Actually alongside Electricity it's one of my least favorite set rehashes done so far. But hey, it makes the best of it.

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
Thank you so much for the help Bluhman. I'm trying out the build with the modifications you recommended and it feels very good. The Incendiary Grenade in particular feels a lot smoother to cast than Flashfire. I replaced Hydra (which I don't have) with the fire self-rez you suggested.

Previously, Flashfire would stack/refresh the Engulfing Flames debuff for me, though. I'm trying to work out what my ability priority is in this. I've been using the following rules of thumb (CDs/blocks/heals aside - managing that's where the real finesse is I assume):

1) Fire Snake (Engulfing Flames) on cooldown to maintain debuff uptime (20s recharge, 16s duration- does the snake remain up for 16 seconds constantly applying & refreshing Engulfing Flames, or do I have downtime on this particular debuff?).
2) Incendiary Grenade (Pyre Patch, No Quarter) every 12 seconds to maintain debuff uptime.
3) Will-o'-the-Wisp (Poison DoT) every 16 seconds to maintain DoT uptime.
All of the above also handle applying Clinging Flames.
Filler ST: Incinerate | AoE: Conflagration

Is that more or less right?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

That engulfing flames refresh is something I legitimately forgot about. While it's good on flashfire, the refresh can very easily be triggered with the advantages available on Fire Strike or Fire Breath, which I'd actually recommend perhaps in place of willowisp. With those advantages, literally a single tap will fully refresh Engulfing Flames.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

the Val posted:

I have started playing this game again (@valyzel), I've been on pretty regularly but the Supergoons SG seems to be extremely dead.

What there is to do anymore? What content's fun/challenging and regularly done? I've plodded through some alerts now and again but they seem trivial.

Here is my build I don't really remember what is happening in it (I got a new power from the boxes and retconned a bunch of stuff). Core thrust is "shoot mans with fire". Any thoughts?

Huh. You were on my friends list at one point. I'm wondering which character I met you on!

As for what's to do... Cosmics, Teleleleois' Lair, seasonal events (which are practically monthly now), the new Mega D thing and RP.

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
Well, it's Harmon Labs week.

I want a Depleted Uranium Core (DUC). If anyone's still playing and farming and has/gets one please post here/message @valyzel in-game.

Happy to pay 4k 3k, will add x number of keys on top of that if you want more.

EDIT: I have got the dumb internet item!!! :)

the Val fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 9, 2018

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Reinstalled to play with the costume editor for five minutes, hung around to see what they've done with powers lately. Looks like electric and fire both got some attention? They have their own stances instead of Concentration, a couple of new powers, etc.

Apparently Jack Emmert hopped ship to Daybreak a year ago? Looks like we got a new King of Maintenance Mode, boys...

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah the main MO has been rehashing many of the powersets so far, and each one gets paired with a lockbox that has some stuff in it related to the set tangenially. The upcoming one is Martial Arts and has some Oni Masks and stuff.

CO changed hands about 2 years ago. I think Emmert's been off of the game for a good deal longer than that. The change has correlated with an increase in really tough encounters and furry costume sets.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I've been looking over my character roster lately and while everyone does say that Freeform is the only way to go, my first few characters are ATs that since it is possible to convert an AT to Freeform, I was wondering if it was possibly worth it since some of the ATs were revised over the years but with what info's out there being of mixed degrees of being recent, it's hard to sift out.

The ATs I've got are Soldier, Scourge, Rockstar and Automaton, are any of these still pretty good for most content? If not, what powersets are likely to play nice together for my essentially having to make a viable version like Soldier & Gunslinger with maybe Inventor, or Scourge & Void with maybe Inferno?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you have a ton of locked slots and aren't interested in subbing again, it's totally worthwhile to convert some old freeform characters to ATs. They're all reasonably playable, the hybrid role ones are generally the least efficient in the late game but all the others are useful and all of them can solo pretty fine. Rockstar is actually very good and probably the best tank AT, it can main tank all the cosmics and TA and so can Behemoth (Might), . Scourge and Soldier are also very good DPS, Automaton is pretty decent. This offline character builder is still maintained and is pretty up to date:

http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm

Really all the ATs are pretty decent to play, just the hybrid role ones are (as you'd expect) generally not the best choice for DPS or tank, and not really at all for support. The support ATs are okay and useful at cosmics, but it's really hard to compete with a tight FF support build.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 16, 2018

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've been looking over my character roster lately and while everyone does say that Freeform is the only way to go, my first few characters are ATs that since it is possible to convert an AT to Freeform, I was wondering if it was possibly worth it since some of the ATs were revised over the years but with what info's out there being of mixed degrees of being recent, it's hard to sift out.

The ATs I've got are Soldier, Scourge, Rockstar and Automaton, are any of these still pretty good for most content? If not, what powersets are likely to play nice together for my essentially having to make a viable version like Soldier & Gunslinger with maybe Inventor, or Scourge & Void with maybe Inferno?

A lot of the issues that ATs had in the past have fallen off a bit with the recent rehauls of so many powersets. With the exception of Automaton all of those you mentioned are pretty solid, and even some of the surrounding powerset rehauls have made Automaton passable. The oldest and most classic reason people said that ATs are bad (they can't heal themselves) has been mitigated to the point that many of them now have some minor self-healing mechanic somewhere in their power choices, and all of the ones listed were reviewed after the new management came in.

Soldier can get really chufty by using its SMG with Wall of Bullets and can use Holdout Shot with StimPack to heal.
Scourge's Crippling Coils can apply a self-heal when using Light Everlasting. It gets Resurgence very late on, as well as Ebon Void for a strong block, and uses Constitution so it's pretty sturdy otherwise.
Rockstar's Absorb Heat can restore tons if you've got Clinging Flames on many surrounding enemies. Cleave is the preferred lead-in for most fire-based mechanics in that setup.
Energy Wave and Cybernetic Tether both have a minor self-heal advantage. The AT also makes use of the strongest block in the game, Energy Shield and is another CON user.

FF's big draw now is that a lot of these rehauls also have added like a million advantages to each power choice, which gives many of the sets a lot of compatability and crossover in usage. Sometimes the crossover is suboptimal and doesn't really need to be used, while in other cases it's way stronger than normal. Guns/Blades are a little difficult to combine since they use two different defense debuffs in their setup (armor-piercing for bullet-based piercing attacks, and shredded for slashing ones, though shred can lend a bit of extra damage to all physical attacks). However because Armor Piercing does both Piercing and Crushing defense debuffs (for whatever reason) it combines super-well with Heavy Weapons, Might, and Unarmed Martial Arts (the last of which got updated super-recently and is extremely powerful).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

So if I'm understanding this all correctly, at this point ATs are now fine unless they're hybrids which suck rear end and the ATs I have are fine for content as long as I do the expected upkeep with upgrading gear and such.

Though that now makes me wonder about the power unlocks I've seen in the zenstore or on the AH that list they're only usable on Freeform characters. Are they worth it or are they just more showy than bang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hybrids don't exactly suck, they're just aren't optimal at any particular role which shouldn't be too surprising. The only content that you'll have a hard time with solo with any AT is Qliphothic War Zone missions, but most FF builds have a hard time with them too anyway.

I don't have any opinion about the ultimate unlocks, I don't have any of them.