Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Codependent Poster posted:

No, this isn't the case for all Marvel movies. Winter Soldier, Civil War, GOTG2, and Ant-Man all have pretty emotional moments without any comedy.

Ant Man is literally the worst offender of this.

I dunno what magic spell James Gunn cast for Guardians 2 but it got me in the stomach at the end in a way that none of the other Marvel movies have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doctor Strange had a lot of problems like that too.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That was a different guy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Every movie you have ever seen that isn't "Wax or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees" is just marketing.

You are mistaken.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I liked Thor 3 but it had the same problem. But then my boss made the comment that it was the first self parody of the Marvel films and now I don't know what to think.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LesterGroans posted:

I think the Transformers movies are trying to do it. There's Blumhouse's Warrenverse.

The Transformers movies are.

That is to say, from the fourth onwards. The first three are still basically their own thing with little attention paid to continuity. But from the fourth onwards, Hasbro decided they wanted a cinematic universe ala Marvel. This is part of the reason why the fifth film does very little other than set-up the sixth (which is my personal dislike of this whole cinematic universe model).

The weird thing is that Hasbro wanted to set up a cinematic universe without doing a full reboot after the first three films basically killed off every major character in the franchise.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Less debating folks with bad faith, more baroque superhero movies.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

But then my boss made the comment that it was the first self parody of the Marvel films and now I don't know what to think.
drat, did Marvel make an interesting movie? I might have to check out Thor 3

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

K. Waste posted:

more baroque superhero movies.

I've studied baroque in music, but what are the characteristics I should be looking for to place these images as baroque?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Baroque as in dramatic use of chiaroscuro and lots of focus on often elaborate and overwhelming detail and striking composition I think he means.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yaws posted:

Marvel had gently caress all to do with it. That’s why it’s so great.

It’s so good.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Baroque as in dramatic use of chiaroscuro and lots of focus on often elaborate and overwhelming detail and striking composition I think he means.

Ah, now it's clicking, thank you. There were a few posts back that had paintings contrasted with equivalent composition in BvS but I was only able to conclude "Man, that sure looks the same."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Corrosion posted:

Ah, now it's clicking, thank you. There were a few posts back that had paintings contrasted with equivalent composition in BvS but I was only able to conclude "Man, that sure looks the same."

Also *whispers*(itjustkindamakesmefeelsmarttowritethat)*whispers*

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Corrosion posted:

You are mistaken.

I didn't start the claim that it was "marketing", the idea of a shared universe is only marketing as much as anything in any movie that isn't something like bees discover television is.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I can't tell you why you do it, but I think I'd wager it's for more than that particular pleasure, alien man.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

oh my god

Who cares that Marvel built off the boring template of Iron Man 1. You're defending a giant media conglomerate on their ability to churn out boring pap.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

yet people here have spent literally years jerking off to Man of Steel and Beavis.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I enjoyed this quite a bit, not on MoS level but still a good selection of purdy scenes and shots even aside from some dodgy effects. The villain was kind of lame but that's been par for the course for most of these comic movies, they need to learn that less costuming/makeup is better if you're gonna go big on the villain casting. Similar to WW after BvS, this mostly made me want a Flash movie. He was quite charming and brought a a similar element to the team that I like with Spiderman in the comics.

Didn't notice the Superman CG too much after I was prepared for the worst, but the revival scene was solid. They could've balanced the final fight a bit better but after a somewhat long movie action-wise it was also fun to see him let loose with the idea badguy's boss will be the real deal. Much preferred it to the climax battle of BvS, really didn't like that fight after all the subtler stuff before it.

Vintersorg posted:

Marvel had gently caress all to do with it. That’s why it’s so great.

Hopefully it indicates that Marvel recognized the poor handing of Wright and Jenkins wasn't worth the quality of product they got with Antman and Thor 2 respectively so they won't be doing that approach anymore and Watiti & Coogler (?) represent a looser norm going forward. Maybe to a lesser extent Gunn, although I'm wary of him becoming too much of a singular creative voice for the tone of them going forward like Whedon was after A1. If BP is also solid maybe that "Marvel is choking creative control" idea can diminish. No idea about Russos on that spectrum, they seem like company men but their movies are serviceable so whatever. They don't have as defined a voice to me like Taika or Gunn does. The comic geek in me is really excited for the Infinity Gauntlet movie but the realist is keeping expectations in check.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

RevolverDivider posted:

yet people here have spent literally years jerking off to Man of Steel and Beavis.

They're definitely sexier.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RevolverDivider posted:

It's because they're not flavor of the week, cookie cutter films. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. MoS and BvS are just more ambitious undertakings than anything the MCU has had to offer. As such, they more prone to rich discussion, critique, and analyzation.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

teagone posted:

It's because they're not flavor of the week, cookie cutter films. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. MoS and BvS are just more ambitious undertakings than anything the MCU has had to offer. As such, they more prone to rich discussion, critique, and analyzation.

That's the rub.

Ain't no one debate about the quality of the Marvel movies because most people forget about them 10 minutes after leaving the theater. They're loving worthless. They type of movie you casually watch while folding your laundry.

I commend anyone able to recall a single thing about Thor 2.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I love the scene in the prison where Loki used his illusion powers to hide his grief over the death of his mother.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I heard Disney's goons literally kicked in the door to Natalie Portman's hospital room a few minutes after she had just given birth and dragged to the set, that's what I remember about Thor 2!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

JL's opening scene with Batman capturing the parademon was written by Whedon and was supposed to be comedic until WB re-edited it.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-opening-scene-batman-joss-whedon/

quote:

I love Joss Whedon. My scene with Batman was originally conceived as a comedic scene. That’s how Joss wrote it, and that’s how we shot it. I thought it came out great, but the studio felt it would be a mistake to open the film with a completely comedic scene, so it was re-edited a little bit. I was disappointed, but when I got home to New York I found a bottle of my favorite Champagne and a note from Joss that said ‘To Battles Lost. Gratefully, Joss.’ I can’t tell you how much it meant to me that he took the time to write to me. Joss Whedon is a class act. I had the letter framed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

K. Waste posted:

They're definitely sexier.

Moviefight but with that shot of Henry Cavil bearded and shirtless, that shot of Ben Afflick training with a tire, and with Chris Evans holding a helicopter back.

quote:

Ain't no one debate about the quality of the Marvel movies because most people forget about them 10 minutes after leaving the theater.

You say that but we've spent pages doing so in the Justice League thread. :shrug:

quote:

I commend anyone able to recall a single thing about Thor 2.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining film but I also saw it with friends and was drinking.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 23, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade posted:

Moviefight but with that shot of Henry Cavil bearded and shirtless, that shot of Ben Afflick training with a tire, and with Chris Evans holding a helicopter back.

The shot of Ben Affleck's rear end in the shower from the BvS Ultimate Cut is the most majestic scene in a superhero movie put to film. MCU has no nude man rear end shot, so can't compare.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

The shot of Ben Affleck's rear end in the shower from the BvS Ultimate Cut is the most majestic scene in a superhero movie put to film. MCU has no nude man rear end shot, so can't compare.
Also the BvS:UE scene of Bruce waking up next to an unknown woman and downing a bunch of pills with alcohol. I don’t think any MCU films explicitly show how broken trying to be a hero can make you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

I forgot about that, this moviefight was rigged the whole time

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

viral spiral posted:

and the female one was a standout.

Faora is literally the only DC movie character that I want more of.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

AlternateAccount posted:

Faora is literally the only DC movie character that I want more of.

Personally I think it's a real shame Arthur Light hasn't shown up yet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A real example is Japanese godzilla/kaiju movies where like mothra shows up in her own movie then later is in mothra vs godzilla then later is a side character in Ghidorah. So marvel isn't totally unique as being the only thing ever to use the structure if you want to also count a series from half a century ago in a different language. But it wasn't a common movie series structure in any way in hollywood movies until marvel disney tried it, now it's the standard for a bunch of the biggest series.

Yeah the Godzilla shared universe tied together a huge number of films. Mothra first appeared in a standalone film in 1961, appeared in six Godzilla films and then had her own trilogy in the 90s. Rodan and Varan also had their own films before being ported over into Godzilla sequels and various kaiju like Baragon, Manda, Gaira, Gorosaurus and Moguera also had their first appearances in non-Godzilla films. There's 28 core Godzilla films (not counting American films or Shin Godzilla) and maybe 20 or so other related films that are part of a loosely connected shared cinematic universe, possibly more.

There's also the Ringu/Ju-On shared cinematic universe which also got ties in to the Hikiko-San, Bunshinsaba and Kuchisake-onna series (and probably more by now) and that 'shared' cinematic universe has to be getting close to 100 movies by now. They're loving relentless, they just won't stop making them.

Of course the difference here and with other shared cinematic universes like Aliens/Predator or Jason/Friday 13th is that they crossovers happened after their individuals IPs were successful on their own and the Marvel shared cinematic universe was planned that way from the start.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Also the BvS:UE scene of Bruce waking up next to an unknown woman and downing a bunch of pills with alcohol. I don’t think any MCU films explicitly show how broken trying to be a hero can make you.

The Netflix MCU series more than make up for this. Hell, the Netflix Punishers series more than makes up for it on its own.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Netflix MCU series more than make up for this. Hell, the Netflix Punishers series more than makes up for it on its own.
That’s very true. I was only thinking of theatrical releases.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kurzon posted:

I love the scene in the prison where Loki used his illusion powers to hide his grief over the death of his mother.

Thor 2 was garbage but it had a lot of great little character moments that stood out if nothing else.

Also Eisenberg's Lex wasn't bad..but not great. They should've kept Luthor Black or at least ethnically ambiguous like in the animated series. Get Leslie Odom Jr or Daveed Diggs, or even Naveen Andrews. I would say Mahershala Ali, but he's probably all villained out from Cottonmouth.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

JL's opening scene with Batman capturing the parademon was written by Whedon and was supposed to be comedic until WB re-edited it.

I rather just have Snyder's opening, if it still exists and whatever it may be. That whole sequence was weird and the CG Batman flipping around was bad. Was very middle of the road.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Yaws posted:

Don't. Ragnarok is garbage. It is all the worst bits of the MCU brought up to 11, but with a bunch of memes like 'they improv'd the dialogue'.

edit: Basically, it's a Marvel film that drops all of its various pretenses and gives the audience exactly what they want. Character beats you see coming from the horizon, memes, quips, no stakes, and so on. People forgive it more than they should because it is a comedy.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 23, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Also, outside of DC and the probably abortive Universal Monsters Universe who is actually trying to copy Marvel? It’s a strategy that’s basically tailor made for comic book movies and not much else.

Well there's the Godzilla/King Kong Monsterverse, obviously. There's also the upcoming Hasbro-verse (G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and ROM: SpaceKnight), the X-Men extended cinematic universe (spinoffs including the Wolverine films and Deadpool, upcoming films including New Mutants and Gambit), The Transformers films (they've got a spinoff Bumblebee film coming up and you can bet there'll be more), an upcoming Hanna-Barbera shared cinematic universe (starting with a Scooby Doo reboot), American International (!!!!) were planning on relaunching themselves with a shared universe and Lionsgate's upcoming Robin Hood film starring Taron Egerton and Jamie Foxx was supposed to be followed up by 'origin' films of all the other characters including Friar Tuck but they seem to have dropped that idea.

That Guy Ritchie King Arthur film was also supposed to kick off an Arthurian series/shared universe but :shrug:

Valiant comics were also supposed to turned into a shared cinematic universe but it looks like they'll be TV series instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Edit: Sony were also pretty desperate to spin (ha) Amazing Spider-Man out into an expanded universe and had a Sinister Six hook in Amazing Spider-Man 2 but things didn't work out so well there. But they haven't quite given up and are shooting a Venom film and are also planning a Black Cat/Silver Sable spinoff.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Also, I believe the nation of Val Verde is used for a generic South American nation in Commando and Predator (and of course it's always possible 'Dutch Schaeffer' was merely the nomme de guerre adopted by John Matrix, even though Predator came out two years after Commando).

General Ramon Esperanza from Die Hard 2 was also from Val Verde so all the Die Hard films exist in the same universe as Commando and Predator (and, by extensions, the Aliens films and all the other related franchises.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 23, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I actually liked that scene, if that was Whedon good on him. I also thought it had the right amount of comedy already tho, so maybe it was a fluke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually liked that scene, if that was Whedon good on him. I also thought it had the right amount of comedy already tho, so maybe it was a fluke.

It was an okay scene except for the exploding parademon leaving marks on the wall in the shape of the motherboxes which was some inexplicably dumb Saturday morning cartoon nonsense.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm having problems to picture that scene in a completely comedic tone

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy moley I didn't even realize that was what it was supposed to be, I must have been preoccupied with my popcorn and missed a bit of dialogue.

Yeah that is nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

Holy moley I didn't even realize that was what it was supposed to be, I must have been preoccupied with my popcorn and missed a bit of dialogue.

Yeah that is nonsensical.

It was the big clue that helped Batman tie the whole story together! Because he's the world's greatest detective, see? He detectived the hell out of that and saved the day!!!