Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s a pretty insane contrast to the amazing photos of Obama on the campaign trail and in the White House over the years.

https://www.instagram.com/petesouza/

Pete Souza is a pro follow on Instagram. He was the photographer following Obama's Senate term and he became Chief Official White House Photographer when Obama was elected president. Now, with his backlog of amazing photos, whenever there's a controversy around Trump's response to an issue, Pete Souza posts a photo of Obama's response during a similar incident.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXVtsozlC3Q/?taken-by=petesouza

quote:

Phone call 2009 to Prime Minister al-Malaki of Iraq. The administration accurately provided read-outs to foreign leader calls. I don't recall if he ever talked on the phone to the head of the Boy Scouts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYa1hvfl6Zb/?taken-by=petesouza

quote:

President Obama with a victim of Hurricane Sandy. There are no Democrats or Republicans hurting in Houston; there are just Americans. At a time like this, it shouldn't be about selling baseball hats or commenting on crowd size. It's about helping our fellow human beings. Pets too. This storm is catastrophic, not epic. Thousands of people are affected. Please consider donating to the many charities doing good work in Texas and other states to come. I am donating to the Red Cross and other local charities today but please feel free to comment on other worthy charities that you would recommend to me and others. (UPDATE: As one of your fellow followers points out, The NY Times has a good list of how to help victims and avoid scams. I posted the link in my profile. But keep suggesting others.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXtstU_FQEW/?taken-by=petesouza

quote:

So glad that my former boss used this photograph on Twitter in quoting Nelson Mandela to comment on the awful events today in Charlottesville. "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love. For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." - Nelson Mandela

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaZDA5AFeCy/?hl=en&taken-by=petesouza

quote:

From 2011: President and Mrs. Obama in Section 60 at Arlington National Cemetery. Section 60 is the area of the cemetery that holds the remains of troops who died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

EDIT: Welcome to the new page.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s a pretty insane contrast to the amazing photos of Obama on the campaign trail and in the White House over the years.

I was checking the latest uploads and... yeah

President Trump's Trip to Asia by The White House, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SOOC is totally fine everyone, it shows you what it was really like to be there.

I guess they have multiple lovely photographers because that series is attributed to an Andrea Hanks.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The series perfectly captures the feeling of, "excuse me, could you please take my photo? Just press the button right here."

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

goes to show that all of you could be white house photographers

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

SOOC is totally fine everyone, it shows you what it was really like to be there.

I guess they have multiple lovely photographers because that series is attributed to an Andrea Hanks.

she's the ~official~ FLOTUS photographer

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Being the White House Photographer would be so awesome and terrifying. These people don't seem to care much.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

All tagged 'Winner'.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It takes some talent to take a picture of an well-dressed, attractive lady (who is also a very experienced model) in an iconic location and make her look like poo poo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I know this administration isn't exactly known for it's adherence to rules but they may not be legally allowed to post process them. I know Peter Souza was on record saying that he wasn't allowed to delete photos because every exposure is considered a matter of public record so it stands to reason that post processing might also be verboten. (Also the president pretty much only hires sycophants with no talent so it doesn't help that they suck as well as not being allowed to do stuff).

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Some of those Great Wall shots look considerably lightened in the shadows, so I think they’ve been post-processed, just...badly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if there is a no edit rule they're still bad because you know they're taking thousands of exposures and the ones that made it to Flickr are the best of the bunch.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Wow those are all pretty bad. Only the last one (on the wall) is a just-OK conventional normie "vacation shot" and it's still no great shakes for a number of reasons.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

melania is slowly transforming into karl lagerfeld

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helen Highwater posted:

It takes some talent to take a picture of an well-dressed, attractive lady (who is also a very experienced model) in an iconic location and make her look like poo poo.

I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it.

Known Lecher posted:

Some of those Great Wall shots look considerably lightened in the shadows, so I think they’ve been post-processed, just...badly.

Could be that.

She just looks dead inside.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

spog posted:

I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it.

Could be that.

She just looks dead inside.
She's a pretty squinty person at the best of times, but in the two on the Wall where she doesn't have her granny goggles on, her eyes are so dark she looks possessed.

In the "just OK" photo the composition is still shot to hell. Although it's the best of a bad lot she's still icy and might as well have been photoshopped into the scene.

At least with some of the panda ones she seems stoked to be with a real live panda.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Karl Barks posted:

melania is slowly transforming into karl lagerfeld
Now I can’t unsee it.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

These guys are just a complete waste, especially when the press photographers do a much better job.

e: oh come on

not even trying here

and there's a bunch of other lovely pics of the same scene aaaaaahhh (also tagged winner :lol:)

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 14, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I did a thing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww you overdid it, they're gonna change their permissions once they notice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I don't think they'll notice. If they do I'll just post :pisstape: on every image they put up.

Edit: NVM there's no commenting, I'll just start tagging them in photos titled "THE PISS TAPE IS REAL:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I made the mistake of joining a photography group on Facebook and this guy asked for CC. Apparently, the people saying that the subject wasn’t presented well were wrong because the LIGHTS are the subject and the couple is only supporting the subject. This was paid work for the couple by the way.

Edit: with a poo poo ton of people saying it is perfect art making me feel like I am in bizarro land.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 15, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bokeys are always a draw.

This sample is fun because it's easy to watch the photo get better as you zoom in on the couple. At least until you get real close and realize what a distraction the lamps are.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

rio posted:

I made the mistake of joining a photography group on Facebook and this guy asked for CC. Apparently, the people saying that the subject wasn’t presented well were wrong because the LIGHTS are the subject and the couple is only supporting the subject. This was paid work for the couple by the way.

Edit: with a poo poo ton of people saying it is perfect art making me feel like I am in bizarro land.

Maybe they met at a chandelier convention?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rio posted:

facebook groups are only good fopr trolling

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Have they been cut and pasted in by someone who doesn't understand feathering?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

spog posted:

Have they been cut and pasted in by someone who doesn't understand feathering?

No, even better because it was an intentional lighting decision with how he backlit the couple. Pretty advanced stuff using lighting decisions to make it look like someone was cut/pasted into a scene.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

rio posted:

No, even better because it was an intentional lighting decision with how he backlit the couple. Pretty advanced stuff using lighting decisions to make it look like someone was cut/pasted into a scene.

Goddamn that's a lot of effort to intentionally emulate bad editing

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
It really does look like a bad lasso job.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm convinced it's a cut and paste

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Spedman posted:

I'm convinced it's a cut and paste

You can kind of see on the hair that is is just lighting and he also posted a shot without the back lighting to show how much better it looked with the backlighting :lol: There was a mix of like a hundred people saying how great it was because it was his signature unconventional style and a small amount saying that he should crop it or have not taken the shot to begin with who were basically told that the client hired him knowing what to expect as his style and that the couple were only supporting the subject (which is the lights - seriously, I am not making that up).

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Once a year I do some volunteer event coverage (I also get to eat ridiculously good food & drink during it so there's some quid pro-quo). A new guy was volunteering to shoot some of it as well and I was in the room as he was setting up his gear.

He put on his external flash, took a photo of the wall, and muttered that it was way too bright. He reaches into his bag, pulls out a neutral density filter, and pops it onto his lens.

An ND filter. On his lens. For a dimly lit indoor gala-type event.

He was blasting people with full-power flash all evening. It was incredible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

you could have at least come and said hello to me, jerk :mad:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
From the KS thread.
Want an expensive way for your uninspired photos to look like goddamn rear end ?

quote:

Photographers turned to the endless pursuit of sharpness, resolution and speed. That trend still dominates today. However many photographers like yourself have started to realize that high resolution and high specs can not replace the authenticity of analogue photography that’s more personal, original, unfiltered with a timeless 'point of view'. Pinhole photography provides exactly that. After all it is the closest to what a human eye can see.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

quote:

After all it is the closest to what a human eye can see.

Explains a lot, if their eyesight is that bad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

In fairness, everything is at the same level of focus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$40 for an effect you could get by taping tin foil to your body and poking it with a needle?

Good on them for making money from stupid people buying in to a stupid idea I guess.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
$40 for an effect you could get by putting dish soap in your eyes.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That is some next level pretension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Well I don't know how to get my screenshot to post, but interesting post on one of my FB groups:

I am a Pentax owner since I started with photography. Naturally I decided to join this group. Naturally I decided to leave it. Reason: so many photos of naked woman and guns. Bear in mind I am not religious, neither I believe in God. Buy guys but the quality of my work cannot sit beside this type of low quality work.

Yeah...

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 24, 2017