Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sarcophallus posted:

Kenshin can still be one of your favorite animes. You don't get pedophile cooties by liking literature. Hope this helps your feels.

There's a lot of examples of awful people making enjoyable media.
Sure it will inform your views about the work simply by association, thats what humans do by nature, but the work as a standalone piece still has merit, even if the author does not. The praise is generally shifted in these cases towards the work, rather than the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Sarcophallus posted:

Kenshin can still be one of your favorite animes. You don't get pedophile cooties by liking literature. Hope this helps your feels.

I can understand how finding out something you enjoyed was created by someone who was into something extremely heinous could cause a person to re-evaluate their relationship with the media, though.

I loved Kenshin too, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it "literature". I think I'm pretty comfortable saying I enjoyed the live action movies, because so many other people were involved...but something like the manga, which was basically made by Watsuki, a few assistants, and an editor is a lot more intimate as an experience... I don't recall anything creepy in the Kenshin comic, but it's been awhile. Either way, I don't think it's always that easy to separate art from artist, given new information, and that relationships between fiction and culture transmutate over time or whatever...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its much easier to create a line between artist and art when none of their creepiness is present in said art

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

i read catcher in the rye in high school and never once had the urge to drink my own piss

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JahRoo posted:

i read catcher in the rye in high school and never once had the urge to drink my own piss

Noted one piece character Jerome D. Salinger.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What was the name of that term again? Death of the Author?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
love the one piece, hate the oda (not yet tho)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mraagvpeine posted:

What was the name of that term again? Death of the Author?

yeah, though death of the author is more applied to authorial intent than separating the author's distasteful lifestyle choices from work. like, orson scott card is a shitlord but the interpretation of ender's game is easy to separate from his actual worldviews which are contradictory.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 22, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cant wait to end up in the scoff manifesto for that one probably because i probably hosed that up but oh well

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This thread needs a new chapter urgently.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

This thread needs a new chapter urgently.

We're almost there. Just need to slip into a turkey coma until the next chapter comes out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Spoilers have actually been out all day, so it might drop sooner than you think :ssh:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Julias posted:

Spoilers have actually been out all day, so it might drop sooner than you think :ssh:

I'm amazed manga thieves can organize for Wednesday translations just a couple months after police arrest everyone. How hard is it to set up a security camera over the office scanner, or keep the raws in a locked room?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The bigger issue is potentially supporting unscrupulous behavior with your $.

Trying to delineate your mental associations away from your physical actions is not fruitful, so yes you should feel bad and stop enjoying Kenshin and ingrain that in your brain forever.

Life is hard goons

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm amazed manga thieves can organize for Wednesday translations just a couple months after police arrest everyone. How hard is it to set up a security camera over the office scanner, or keep the raws in a locked room?

I don't think any of the leaks have been from the actual Jump offices. Most thieves just find stores that break street dates and sell magazines early, then scan the pages and upload them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't think any of the leaks have been from the actual Jump offices. Most thieves just find stores that break street dates and sell magazines early, then scan the pages and upload them.

iirc if we get them on friday/saturday its street date, but any earlier its someone actually involved in the shipping industry, which is why they usually get cracked down on but friday releases never do.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the way oda draws literally every woman in the series is proof enough of what he's into, but then again I wouldn't have guessed this about the kenshin guy either

This is my one big hope, yes. Oda seems to be so transparent about his type (Nami) that I hope, desperately, that he's not going to turn out to be a secret pedophile.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

anime was right posted:

yeah, though death of the author is more applied to authorial intent than separating the author's distasteful lifestyle choices from work. like, orson scott card is a shitlord but the interpretation of ender's game is easy to separate from his actual worldviews which are contradictory.
My personal taste is that it is completely fine to read, discuss, whatever stuff made by various shitlords; but ethically speaking, I won't buy anything that gives Orson Scott Card money while he's alive, if I can help it. But getting paperbacks from Half Price Books, that's a different story.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

By the same token, it's equally valid to have their works be forever tainted and unable to be enjoyed. And frankly there's enough good media in the world by non-shitheads that that doesn't have to be a big deal.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It would definitely change the atmosphere of the Ace-Sabo-Luffy arc if Oda was.

Oda is not a pedophile

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Sub Harrison posted:

It would definitely change the atmosphere of the Ace-Sabo-Luffy arc if Oda was.

Oda is not a pedophile

Oda totally hates children, just take a look at every tragic backstory in the manga so far.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is out. Happy Thanksgiving!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/886/page/1

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I am thankful for this chapter.
This isn't Oven's best day. Also Luffy is Goku and the Minks are Sayians.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh my god chips town

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The WSJ front cover gave me some feelings. One Piece is great :)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Katakuri is a 1 Billion Belly man!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What did Carrot mean about the full moon? Is Carrot going to turn into a were-rabbit? :psyduck:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What did Carrot mean about the full moon? Is Carrot going to turn into a were-rabbit? :psyduck:

in zou they mentioned something about minks being stronger during a full moon

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

STRAWHAT VERSUS Billion Belly Man

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im reading some interview/article thing about oda and we have an answer why the word repeats for fruits:
"At first it was just the Gomu nomi (Gum Fruit). Kushima san thought that already existed, so that changed to Gomu Gomu Nomi (Gum Gum Fruit)."

lmao, its so simple

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
loving lol that Pudding panel.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Capone "Gang" Bege does it again

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love Pudding so much.

A good drat chapter.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

How does a sea lion on a ball pull a cart?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sub Harrison posted:

Very carefully.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

Sub Harrison posted:

Same way an airplane takes off if on a conveyor belt/treadmill

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I am really glad for those last two pages

"Yeah I guess I could win by stringing this fight out long enough to deplete his haki, but gently caress that"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Pudding is amazing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

I am really glad for those last two pages

"Yeah I guess I could win by stringing this fight out long enough to deplete his haki, but gently caress that"

It also seems to imply that Luffy is going to gain a powerup as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Good chapter, good stuff. Oda knows what he's doing, thank god

Luffy has already seen the future at least once, when he faced Mihawk on Marineford and saw his hands were about to get cut off.