Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

:siren:Video: Battle for the Golden Land, Part 2:siren:

BGM: Bizarre Divertimento

By the time Battler and Ange reached it, it was falling apart like the sand in an hourglass. They tried punching and kicking it to make it break faster, but nothing they did hastened the process.

"...It looks like she broke it a while ago, but it'll probably take some time before it's gone..."
"Just a bit longer, I think. If we could just buy time for five minutes..."

Judging by the speed the magic circles were crumbling and the general appearance of the whole scene, it looked like it would be over soon. However, even if it was just five minutes, would that be soon enough now?

They turned around.

Even for Battler, who had seen Beato's fights many times over, the battle between Lambdadelta and Bernkastel was so mind-defying that he couldn't think of a single word to describe it. When he finally managed to find a word, it was 'a universe'.

Each time a battle between Lambdadelta and Bernkastel unfolded, a universe was created between the pair of them. Big Bangs would take place, universes would be created, galaxies beyond number would be born and erased, born and erased. Then, just when it seemed that a Big Crunch had occurred and that the universe had met its demise, there would be another Big Bang, and another universe would be created. It was like watching gods playing. The two witches created and destroyed worlds over and over again, almost as though two Creators were fighting to prove that their universe was the right one. If you let your guard down in the slightest, then just watching this would steal your soul. That's how it felt.

"Go back as soon as you get the key. I can't leave Lambdadelta on her own."
"You're going to jump into that fight?!"
"I can't leave her on her own."
"..."
"Their fight may defy common sense. However, they're perfectly and evenly matched. So... If anyone jumps in, even a single weak human like me, something might break."

A perfect balance maintained by two great powers can easily break by adding even a little strength to one side. However, actually rushing in there to add that little bit of strength would be literally suicidal.Like a moth flying into a furnace. It might burn up before it even reaches it.

"Once you get the key, go straight back to the Golden Land. We don't know how long they can hold out, remember?"
"...I can't go back alone, not when everyone is fighting."
"That's right, this is your fight. So fight. Though you regret not dying with everyone else, you must overcome that feeling and live in the future. That's what you decided to do, right?"
"...!"

Ange had no words to respond with. Her brother and everyone else would probably die. So, she wanted to die in the same place and the same time as everyone else. However, that could not be allowed, and she mustn't wish for it. She had already made up her mind. She had sworn... to live in the future, without turning back to look at everyone's deaths.

"...Two... doors..."
"Of the two, one will lead you to the future. Don't worry. I'm sure you won't choose the wrong one now. Also, once you go through it, don't turn back until the door closes."
"Why can't I turn back?"
"When the door closes, you won't be able to see our fate anymore. In other words, we'll be shut inside the cat box."
"A fate inside a cat box... has endless truths."
"That's right. We might've lost pathetically, or we might've made a miraculous comeback and survived. In other words, if you, the Witch of the Future, are sent into the future without witnessing the end of our conflict, we'll still have a chance at victory."
"However, if you keep on looking at us, you'll see when we get annihilated. That'll put the odds of our defeat at 100%. So, to give us a miraculous victory, you must not turn back once you go through that door! Got it?!!"
"Y, yeah..."
"So, I'll go and help Lambdadelta. If you go back to the Golden Land after seeing me walk off like a hero, that's how my story will end for you."
"...The result of your battle will be sealed in the cat box. So, you can never 'lose'."
"Exactly. So don't look back. You'll have the key soon. Go back to the Golden Land like your life depends on it. So, real quick, I have one message for the you of the future. Don't forget it, and engrave it into your heart!"
"Okay, okay...!!"
"...No matter what happens, never abandon the hopes that keep you alive. All of us are always behind you. If you just believe, we can even speak to you! Believe it! If one thing is certain, it's that miracles happen when you believe!"

BGM: None

Surely, one of them had delivered a powerful blow. There were no further explosions, so surely, that strike had decided the match... When the smoke clears, who will be left standing...?

The magic circle sealing the key still needed several minutes to dissolve...

BGM: About Face

All that came into sight... was Bernkastel. There was no answering voice from Lambdadelta. If this was a sign of her victory, it did not cause Bernkastel's expression to grow any clearer.

"...Too bad, Lambda. And I thought we'd be able to build a universe together. It's too bad, really too bad."

...Bernkastel was still focusing all her nerves on the battle. So, she took no notice of Battler and Ange by the key. However, she would probably notice soon. And then, there would be nowhere to run. The last circle of the magic circle was starting to fade away. However, almost cruelly, the final circle went slower than the rest...

Seeing that, any hopes that it would dissolve in a minute, or maybe a few dozen seconds, were crushed absolutely. Battler readied himself.

"...Well, this fight probably won't work out as well as the last one, but it looks like I'm up now."
"Onii-chan..."
"You're great, Ange. I'm proud that you didn't try to stop me."

With tears still pouring down her face, Ange lovingly rubbed her cheek against the hand that had been patting her head.

"...I've got to gather the kitties again. I thought Battler would be with her, but I don't see him for some reason. After all, one guy like him would be about as annoying as a pebble in my shoe."

The smoke cleared completely, and they saw a huge cloud of candy bits floating around, like it was Lambdadelta's corpse. A star-shaped cookie bounced off of Bernkastel's head. It was missing one of its points, giving it a lonely feeling.

"...Lambdadelta. Live with me. We'll become a single universe, with you inside me."

Bernkastel chewed the cookie... and swallowed it.

BGM: Flight

Bernkastel's stomach suddenly swelled like a balloon. The bulge rose from her stomach to her throat, then exploded like a firework from her mouth. From Bernkastel's mouth spewed fireworks, sparks, fragments of candy.

"You really should fix those habits you've had since you were a cat. Here's a hint: if you find a piece of candy lying on the ground somewhere, don't pick it up and eat it."

Bernkastel doubled over even more, still spitting up an exploding firework. The birth of a small universe from that sweet had hit her directly from the inside of her stomach. Even Bernkastel couldn't withstand that. As Bernkastel repeatedly vomited fireworks so violently that it seemed her guts would spill out, her body flickered in and out of existence, and she glared at Lambdadelta with a terrifying expression. Her body was flickering because she had taken so much damage that even maintaining her form was now difficult.

"How slovenly, Bern. Your body's falling apart."
"*cough*, *cough*cough*, uuuggghhh, Lambdaaaaaaaaaaaa, *cough*!!"
"I sort of felt like losing for a bit. But I changed my mind. If I became a single universe with you, you wouldn't whisper to me of your love anymore."
"...True. I'm not the type to give food to a fish I've already caught."
"I know. That's why you shine so beautifully. You'll lead someone on, but never actually dote on them, just like a proud queen of cats."
"I'll turn you into a cardboard box and make you my scratching post!!"

The reefs, which resisted the ocean that was trying to cover them, were smashing waves left and right. The Seven Sisters of Purgatory and the Inquisitors of Heresy specialized at close-range combat, and were rapidly building a mountain of corpses. The witches fought hard too, but they would have preferred to fight at a distance if they could. Just relying on fantasy creatures wouldn't be enough. In these battle conditions, all of the humans were thrust right into the center of the fight.

Everyone in the Ushiromiya family displayed a fighting spirit equal to the witches and guarded their backs. Even humans are not powerless. They have guns. If the goats supported fantasy, they could use these as the ultimate anti-magic weapons. If the goats supported mystery, they could use these in a much more obvious way. Those .45 Long Colt bullets delivered fatal wounds to each and every goat they struck.

"If you tell an Ushiromiya to sink, you'll just make him fight all the harder!! Little girl, you have no idea what the Ushiromiya family is!!"
"You were dead even before 1986, weren't you?!! It's about time you stopped moving, gramps!!"

Erika's razor-sharp scythe buried itself in Kinzo's chest. It dug straight into his heart, but the daring smile on Kinzo's face didn't even falter.

"Hoh, was my death ever witnessed by anyone outside the cat box? I am indestructible ...indestructible!!"

A punch containing all of Kinzo's last spark of life sent Erika flying.

"Father, Father, are you okay?!!"

As Erika tried to deliver the finishing blow, Krauss stepped in between them, blocking the way.

"...I will be your opponent in Father's place."
"Oh? If it isn't the incompetent investing expert. It's pretty impressive how you managed to find all the worst bets and lost your money so quickly."
"And yet, at least I remember to tie my shoes."
"Huh?"

"?!?!"

Krauss's left uppercut made Erika float in the air. Not by magic, but by the simple laws of physics. For an instant, Erika saw the moon...

"I may have been incompetent as an investor!! However, any of my college friends will attest to my talent as a boxer!! I will not allow you to discredit every part of the Ushiromiya family, little girl!!"
"Y, you... drat small fryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!"

"At the school festival, I introduced Kanon-kun to everyone!! Saku, and Hina, and everyone else!! All of my friends can testify to that!! Don't make assumptions about our relationship based on your own imagination!!"

Jessica's body blow made the goat's massive body cave in.

"Splendidly done, Milady! To think that you could wield such power in a tight spot like this...!"
"Well of course. After all, I'm thinking it doesn't really matter if I die. This is the first time we've worked together, with you at my back. Too bad it isn't cutting the cake...!"

Jessica laughed embarrassedly. She looked even more relaxed than she had on the stage at the school festival.

"If we can't cut a cake, then let's cut something else."
"You always try to sound cool with every thing you say...!"
"But I like it that way!!"

The massive bodies that rushed at them, trying to deny their relationship and their very existence, had two choices: to be sliced or struck. Each time one of those bodies hit the floor, it became proof that the two of them existed.

"George-sama, look out!!!"

The goat's log-sized fist buried itself in George's face. This was the middle of a massive, confused battle. There was no way to dodge an unexpected attack like that.

"...?!?!"
"...An anti-social shut-in, is it? Very well. Say what you wish about me."

George had indeed been hit with a fist right to the center of his face. However, he didn't bend over backwards. Not even an inch. The goat started to wonder what it was he had hit. Hadn't he punched a human made of flesh...? It was as though... he had slammed his fist into a steel wall... and it was his fist that was hurting... However, the goat was too scared to move his fist from George's face. After all, if he did, the expression on that face would probably be too terrifying.

George's hand... knocked that fist away.

"You could probably get testimony from my old classmates from school. Yes, I was an anti-social person. However, there's one more thing that they'll tell you, something far more important."

George was only grabbing the goat's massive fist in his tiny hand. However, that fist was being crushed as though it had a vise around it... Even though the other hand was so tiny, the goat couldn't even move its fist.

"...Ushiromiya George never fought for himself, no matter what happened to him. He was a coward, who ran away from all threats. Everyone will tell you that. However, they won't tell you that he never got into a fight."

I accepted the fact that someone as pathetic as me would be bullied.

The goat's broken teeth flew through the air. George's furious feet split the heavens.

"...Sh, Shannon approached George for his money, and..."

A goat's filthy finger touched Shannon's back. That finger... exploded and boiled away.

"My love for George-san is true and pure. George-san must have kept all the letters I wrote him. Read those, and you'll have your proof."
"...Y, you can write anything in a letter... The contents of a letter are no proof of true lo..."

A blazing red light charred the goat's entire body. Shannon slowly turned around, her face full of rage and contempt.

An absolute barrier rose up around Shannon, burning up the goats around her with its flames.

Maria smiled, showing her teeth, and performed her job without even looking at her hands. Then, she tossed the fully loaded rifle straight up into the air.

Rosa, who stood back-to-back with Maria, caught it without turning around. No, that wasn't quite it. Maria had passed the gun to her mother perfectly without even looking back. Rosa's head was pointed at the ground... as she stroked the frigid trigger with her index finger.

The crowd of goats, cowed by Rosa's ferocity, didn't get any closer to her.

"Then I'll deny it. Being the serial cheater you are, you were always off playing around with a man and leaving Maria all alone!!"
"Nothing like that is written anywhere in Maria's diary. Kihihihihi."
"Y, you should know better than anyone else...!! Rosa didn't love you! She was a crappy mother who regretted even giving birth to you!!!!"

BGM: The Excecutioner

For a moment, she didn't realize what was happening. Was that cold feeling on her back... the ground? Huh? Why am I... lying down...? And wasn't the moon full? Why isn't it now...? Come to think of it, my teeth... hurt. There's something cold... and hard.

Then, she figured it out. She was lying sprawled on the ground, with a gun barrel shoved into her mouth. And the thing splitting the moon... was the angry king of wolves protecting its child.

"...Gahah..."

The gun barrel exploded inside her mouth, shattering her medulla oblongata. But it was only her afterimage.

"What a terrifying woman you are. Are you really huma-"

Erika, who had escaped death at the last moment by leaving an afterimage, found a metallic flash right before her eyes, which had been there even before she reappeared. The fountain pen went right through Erika's eye, crushing it. Of course, that was another afterimage. However, when Erika escaped and reappeared somewhere else, a heel was already there waiting for her... From the goats' perspective, several afterimages of Erika seemed to be appearing at once, all of which were pierced by Rosa at the same time...

"Mama's really strong, kihihihihihihihi!!"
"...Wh, what the hell..."

And so, Erika couldn't reappear anymore. At the very least, not within Rosa's range of attack. Erika put a lot of distance between her and Rosa, reappearing in midair.

"...What... are these people?! What... the hell?!! ...?!?!"

Erika's animal instincts made her turn her head slightly to the side just in time. Where her head used to be, there was an odd shower of sparks. It wasn't magic. It was a real physical phenomenon cased by lead smashing against lead. To think that two bullets shot from different angles... could have flown with impossible precision at where her head once was... so that both of them hit and bounced off each other like billiard balls.

"You know, we're pretty good at clay pidgeons. Flying along in a straight line probably isn't a good idea."

The two of them spun their rifles in exactly the same way at exactly the same time, reloading them in a way that put old westerns to shame, then pointed them back up at where Erika was in the sky.

"Y, you monsteeeeeeeeeers!!"

Once again, their accurate shots plunged through the forehead of Erika's afterimage, bouncing off each other like billiard balls with a shower of sparks. This time, Erika appeared far behind them. She had to admit it. She had been forced to escape to a place outside the range of those guns fired by humans.

Then, the light from the moon was blocked. The place that she had fled to so rapidly exploded, sending chunks of rubbish flying. A massive long sword had been plunged into the ground. It was Dlanor's sword.

"...Oh... If it isn't my old friend...!"

She had dodged by a hair, but this bulky, brutal longsword was more of a cannonball shaped like a sword than something for cutting with. Even though she dodged it, the blast of air pressure made her eardrums throb. Dlanor was serious. She seriously intended to smash Erika to bits.

"What's with the scary face?!! Can't you try and act a bit, I don't know, cuter?!"
"...Do you find this ENJOYABLE? Destroying people's dreams and ILLUSIONS?"
"Of course it's enjoyable! What do you expect an intellectual rapist to do?!"
"You are an EVILDOER. And yet, I used to believe you were the sort of evil that could be sympathized WITH."
"I never asked for your sympathy."
"...Not cutting you down immediately upon our MEETING... That sin of mine is what helped bring this day to PASS!!"

Dlanor's hair bristled with rage. Seeing this expression on the one she had once called a friend... pinned Erika to the spot.

"Whoa, wai-, !!!"

The force of anger that welled from Dlanor's whole body struck Erika. Or rather, the swirl of blasting wind from Dlanor's massive longsword sent her flying. The cannonball with a blade repeatedly cracked the ground just after Erika leapt away. So, it almost looked as though Erika was jumping backwards, smashing the earth beneath her with each jump.

"Dlanor..."
"...Friend of mine, rest in PEACE!!!"

The great longsword split the air again, pulverizing the ground. However, this time, Erika was nowhere to be seen. Where did she escape to?

Practically speaking, she had run away. Fully aware of this, Erika howled, her face contorted with humiliation. Her shoulders heaved with her breathing, and she had even forgotten to fix her hair...

The scythe fell from her hand and landed with a clank to the floor. That sound brought her back to her senses.

The warships that had flown into the Golden Land opened their gun ports one after another, then they all fired at once in a scattered mess of cannonballs. The hundreds of explosive rounds they fired would negate the concept of any thing or person they touched, smash them into little bits, and set them ablaze with flames. The battlefield full of writhing goats became a fiery hell.

A cannonball smashed the arbor. The once-beautiful garden maze was burned down bit by bit and the fleeing gold butterflies were wrapped in flames, burning into nothingness like little scraps of paper. This was no longer a battlefield where two sides fought for victory. It was just a confused, hellish pot.

The once-beautiful rose garden was filled with explosion craters, and its rose petals were scattered about without pity. Flying bits of flesh, blood, fangs, jaws. Shrieks and half-crazed screams. And even amidst this hellish swirl, the goats and the dead continued to fight. As seen from atop the boats, this was, without a doubt, hell.

"All ships!! Drop anchooooooooooors!!"

When Erika yelled, the goats on the boats ran around frantically, and one by one, massive anchors hanging by chains were thrown from the ships' bows down into the earth below. Those anchors smashed through not only the ground, but the bottom of the Golden Land itself, digging in with their wedge-shaped tips.

"Oh, Beatrice-san!! What a huge battle this is! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find you!"

Beatrice landed on the front tip of the warship, facing off against Erika, who stood on the bow.

"You will not be forgiven! I'll finish you myself right here!!!"

Beato jabbed with her pipe. It transformed into a beautifully intricate, long and golden sword.

"Very well, bring it on. Let's settle this."

Erika threw her scythe up into the air. When it returned to her hand, it had become a sword similar to Beato's. The nearby goats crowded around Erika, trying to support her.

"Stay out of this. Anyway, you all need to start lifting the anchors! Tear up the Golden Land by its roots!!"

Aye aye, sir! The goats bowed and rushed to their posts. Several dozen ships had lowered their anchors, digging into the base of the Golden Land. Soon, they were going to pull them up, and try to tear the Golden Land to pieces.

BGM: The Executioner

Beato raised her sword, bowed in the ancient fashion, and waited for her duel opponent. Erika kicked off her shoes violently and slowly walked up to the tip of the boat barefoot. Then, in accordance with Beato's rules, she bowed back.

A duel on the prow of a ship that pierced the sky. Below, the crowd of goats was being blasted away by the indiscriminate cannonballs, burned up and crushed in the panorama of this world's end. By now, it would be stupid to wonder whether anyone from the Ushiromiya family was still all right. Yes, it truly was the end of this world. The end of the Golden Land. Ground to dust, filled with flames. The golden rose garden was burning spectacularly, with bits of flame and golden splashes flying about. The ground creaked as fissures ran through it. Through the base of the Golden Land. All of the ships started pulling up their anchors at once. Crowds of strong goats used all of their monstrous strength to lift them.

The anchors that dug into the Golden Land's base... spread cracks throughout the entire Golden Land. Not just the ground, but the air itself was filled with cracks, and shards of gold fell down everywhere. The Golden Land's end was adorned with the flames of hell and streaking gold fragments, with fiery red and ephemeral gold.

Atop the boat's prow, Beato and Erika looked down on this, their swords crossed and sparks flying between them.

"The Golden Land may meet its end. I may perish as well. However, no one can erase the fact that we were here!! Ange reached the answer! The Witch of the Future has a mission and hope, and will soon go off on a new journey!! We have already succeeded...!! Too bad, Furudo Erikaaaa!! This battle ends with our victory!!!"

A duel between the master of the illusion called the Golden Land and the witch who controlled truth. The earth split behind them. The Golden Land was torn up. The cat box known as the Golden Land was ripped apart, and the nothingness below peeked out through the cracks. The scrambling crowd of goats fell through the gaps and were swallowed by the sea of nothingness. Beato's friends were among them. They helped each other, lent a hand to each other, unwilling to sacrifice anyone until the final moment. Still, what a romantic and fragile illusion is the end of the world.

The ground shattered and sank. It fell apart into the ocean of nothingness. None could survive. None could be saved. This was... destruction. As the friends fell into the sea of nothingness, they looked up one last time... and prayed. They prayed that the master of the Golden Land would leave proof that the Golden Land had indeed existed. However, Beato didn't look down at them. They wouldn't have wanted her to.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
I'm enjoying this denouement, and curious to see what Battler considers to be an "easy puzzle" to allow Ange to return to her life, but right now, the topmost thing in my mind...

...is that whoever was programming this really should have had Rudolf's sprite come in behind Kyrie's.

Confused Llama fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 24, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh so that's where Rosa's fighting game super comes from. :3:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Rosa is great, Dlanor is great, the Rudolf/Kyrie tag team is great as usual... but I have to admit my favorite is Krauss successfuly pulling a made you look on Erika, so-called best detective ever. I might have fist pumped. A little.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

Rosa is great, Dlanor is great, the Rudolf/Kyrie tag team is great as usual... but I have to admit my favorite is Krauss successfuly pulling a made you look on Erika, so-called best detective ever. I might have fist pumped. A little.

I actually laughed out loud at how she fell for a trick most people stop falling for in grade school.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I’ve had a stupid grin on my face since the last update and its still there at the end of this one, I love this silly game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What's even funnier is Erika wears Mary Janes, which doesn't have laces, so she not only fell for a childish prank, but one that shouldn't even worked if her Great Detective Mind remember what she wears.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Robindaybird posted:

What's even funnier is Erika wears Mary Janes, which doesn't have laces, so she not only fell for a childish prank, but one that shouldn't even worked if her Great Detective Mind remember what she wears.

How can she know for absolute certain that some stealthy magic hasn't given them untied laces since the last time she checked?

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
:suspense:

I've just powered through this LP the past week (It was fun seeing resurgam and witchcore's avatars the entire time, even if I didn't know who the person in WC's was) and, just... holy poo poo. And thanks to everyone in the thread(s), I don't think I would've been able to come to the understanding of this text as I have now. (Also extra thanks for those manga chapter links, wow they are much better and effective than the VN version)

I feel like Umineko is a commentary, a reminder. Not just of stuff like the cycle of abuse and abuser, but perhaps what might be the overarching point. All it takes to create a universe is two: the content-creator, and the 'consumer.' The importance of being able to escape from your reality into a 'universe,' and derive enjoyment and satisfaction; and the importance of not escaping into a universe at the expense of your reality. Reading others' thoughts here, I know I'm not alone in some of the finer details hitting close to home. My personal life isn't going too hot right now, and I've sort of reached what I call 'despair zen.' I have no tears to shed for all the many I'd like to be able to release. And yet, Umineko has made me cry. It has allowed me to cry when I have no had the power to do so myself. ...And because for some reason, ruminating on the use of magic and witches, the lyric "That's telekinesis, Kyle" sprang into my head, I now have to re-evaluate a dumb song in a needlessly profound light. Because, well, how 'bout the power... to move you?

That's some powerful magic, isn't it? Are we all goats, or in our shared experiences in our consumption of and investment in media and text, are we witches? Well, I feel it'd be a bit too presumptuous to say we are, as I've just now joined the party instead of participating from the beginning, but surely those reading are. Some are probably even gods themselves, whose words will create more witches to play with their characters humans.

Robindaybird posted:

I actually laughed out loud at how she fell for a trick most people stop falling for in grade school.
Hell man even wearing laceless shoes I'd probably fall for it too. Even this level of reasoning is possible for me :v:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

:siren:Video: Battle for the Golden Land, Part 3:siren:

...These two witches, who possessed power on an entirely different level, may have been truly equal in strength. The battle could only be resolved by mutual consent, if one of them lost interest or found some reason for wanting to lose. Since both were putting their all into the fight without yielding a bit, they were absolutely and completely equal...

"...Lambdadelta... I'm glad... to have you as a friend..."
"Dammit, just a bit longer...! Just fall apart already, stupid magic circle...!"

Battler got irritated and punched the magic circle, but there was nothing he could do except continue to watch over it. After all, the only way to dissolve it was by waiting. However, the pair of them still felt relief, if only a little. Lambdadelta really was strong. Even in a battle this spectacular, she fought on an even footing. No, if you also took confidence into account, she seemed to have a slight advantage to Battler's eyes. She would probably manage to buy them enough time. Ange would take the key and return to the Golden Land. They just had to endure a bit longer...

...However, they had no way of knowing what Lambdadelta's fate would be after this. She had disobeyed the Senate, the highest-level witches in existence. A brutal fate probably awaited her. However, even knowing this, Ange had to step forward into the future, without looking back. That was the single duty given to her, the Witch of the Future.

"...?! Crap, are they enemy reinforcements...?!"

Lambdadelta and Bernkastel were glaring at each other, so they didn't notice. Heading towards them from the distance... were several emerald green glints. That light showed that they were enemies.

"But there's only a few of them. They won't be a match for Lambdadelta."
"..."

All of the cats so far seemed like fish in a school, giving the impression that they'd be terrifying as a group, but not much of a problem by themselves. However, there was something different about the lights approaching them now. They were approaching in a beautiful, ordered formation, like a constellation. Battler quickly realized that this was something different...

BGM: Grey Empty Smile

The black cats that surrounded her in a graceful and systematic constellation... were all wearing large capes with elegant designs. It looked as though great overlords from many worlds had been transformed into cats, leaving only their capes untouched.

What Battler imagined was quite true. That was exactly what had happened. These were the overlords from many worlds that formed Featherine's personal guard. Their bodies took the form of cats merely as a sign of respect to their master, who took the form of a human. These were entirely different from the pack of wild cats that served Bernkastel.

"Keeping the guests waiting in anticipation is an important factor when holding a party. It is, however, not something I am particularly fond of."

As she said this, her eyes flicked to Lambdadelta. The latter bowed hurriedly. Though Lambdadelta grinned, she was also sweating with a brow furrowed with tension.

"...How long it has been, Lady Lambdadelta."
"A pleasure to see you... Great Lady Aurora..."
"...This is no place to entertain one such as yourself. Did you get lost on the way to the party...? If so, allow me to guide you there myself."
"Th, that would be an honor, Great Lady Aurora..."

It is said that she surpassed the level of witches, becoming a Creator, and that, upon reaching this forbidden plane, she was cursed with a deadly ailment. However, in life, she once turned her pet cat into a witch. They say that this second witch wanders the sea of Fragments endlessly, searching for any Fragment that can revive her master from the pits of death called boredom, if even for a moment. And so, the cat revived her master. Revived the sacred witch who had reached heights none should reach...

Just as witches look down at and mock humans from a higher world, calling them pieces on a game board... So she looks down at and mocks the territory of witches from an even higher world, calling them pieces on a game board. If a witch's strength is measured by the height of the world they are capable of reaching... She was like a witch come back from the realm of the gods, the one who had touched the highest, forbidden heights and survived.

Was there any chance of winning against her? No. Not only could Lambdadelta not choose to win, she couldn't choose to lose either.

"...Okay..."
"*cackle*cackle*. The simple, naive way cats forget their errand partway through doing it is their true charm. Don't you think so, Lady Lambdadelta...?"

Lambdadelta didn't say anything, but hung her head low. From this position, it seemed that the key's seal would dissolve at any second. However, Bernkastel would probably find Battler and Ange before that. Once they got their hands on the key, they could leave this place immediately. Of course, this was assuming that they did so before Bernkastel and Featherine found them. Bernkastel... mustn't be allowed to move from this spot.

"..."
"I am the miko of the Great Witch Aurora... You haven't forgotten that the Witch of Theatergoing bestows her protection upon her Reader mikos, have you...?"

Lambdadelta still stood slumped over, without answering. The Witch of Theatergoing gave protection to her Reader mikos. If Lambdadelta attacked Bernkastel, who was a miko, then the great Aurora would follow her contract, prevent what she considered an attack against herself, and 'respond accordingly'.

"...Let's make a deal."
"...For what...?"
"Where is Battler hiding? If you come clean, we'll let all of this slide."
"Is the Witch of Miracles afraid of a tiny, little piece like Battler?"
"...It's because I am the Witch of Miracles. I won't forget that even a little pebble like him is capable of creating a miracle."
"After all, that little pebble has now been super-promoted into a Witch of Miracles."
"I'll ask one more time. Where is Battler?"
"..."
"...Too bad, Lambda. It looks like that's your answer."

Bernkastel turned her back on Lambdadelta. Then, she told her master that she was leaving to prepare the key, and she started swimming towards the key room. If I let her go... any further... she'll find Battler and Ange...

Battler readied himself. This time, it was his turn to become a sacrifice... Even though he was nothing more than a single pebble, he could still put out an eye.

A candy firework exploded right in front of Bernkastel.

BGM: Revelations (Instrumental)

"L, Lambdadelta..."
"...That did it... Battler, Ange. The rest is up to you...!"

The cat overlords changed their formation, becoming a ferocious constellation that surrounded Featherine. Then, each drew the most terrifying of magic circles from their respective worlds... and began to chant.

"...I am slightly confused. My miko, and you too, Lady Lambdadelta. What sort of sideshow is this...?"
"...It looks like Lambda wants to stop me from going to get the key."
"Hoh. And what would the point of that be, I wonder?"
"If you still don't get the point, then you must be getting a bit tipsy, Featherine. Looks like you need a pick-me-up."

Lambdadelta bluffed as well as she could. Her fingertips were shaking slightly.

"I know it. Going by that rule, it looks like the two of us are gonna have to fight."
"Hoh. Have I or my miko caused insult in any way? If so, then please accept my apologies."
"But will you not tell me? I don't believe you have a miko at the moment. How long have you had one?"
"As for that... I've got a ton of them already...!! 30 or 40, I think. Maybe even more!"
"I, Lambdadelta, will handle any fight picked against one of my mikos, no matter who the opponent is...!! All of them are certain that a happy ending will come!! As the Witch of Certainty, I can't abandon people who work hard and believe with such certainty!!!"
"...Your tale would not be a disagreeable one. It would be worthy of my viewing. However, I am not a spectator at the moment, but a performer. I know that you are my miko's close friend, so I will give you one warning. Remove yourself from this stage. I will prepare a special seat for you in my audience seating."
"...I've been thinking about which is more interesting... your tale, or the tale I've been watching."
"...And your conclusion?"

"...Who are you talking to?"

As Lambdadelta pretended to joke around, she calmly glared at the one weak point. If she had a chance for a single attack, then a one-in-a-billion shot at victory existed. That horseshoe-shaped memory device floating around Featherine's head. Without that, she couldn't preserve her own memory. Destroying it was impossible, but if Lambdadelta could just jar it enough, she might be able to make it bug out. At least once in the past, Featherine's memory device had been damaged, and her personality and appearance had changed. However, she was aware of that herself, and probably wouldn't let that happen again no matter what.

"...Very well, Lady Lambdadelta. When you've finished your script, feel free to send it in whenever you wish."
"The script is simple. Just one line. 'The fantastic, cute Lambdadelta-sama... took out the evil mastermind Auaurora in a single shot!'"
"Foolish Lambda. I never realized how stupid you were."
"...The cats need not interfere. I will personally reward Lady Lambdadelta for the courageous tale she has submitted. You will be granted a fitting tale and a fitting ending for your bravery."
"Featherine Augustus... Auauroraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

Lambdadelta summoned magical power from her whole body and raised it in a mass above her head.

BGM: The Girl's Witch Hunt

"Your script will not be used. After all..."

Rather than time stopping, it was more like the flipping pages of a book had stopped. In this motionless world, closely packed letters appeared.

It was a tale, which had been written up to this very moment.

quote:

'"Featherine Augustus... Auauroraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"'
'Lambdadelta summoned magical power from her whole body and raised it in a mass above her head.'

That was where the paragraph ended. In this frozen world, Featherine sat with her arms crossed.

"...How troublesome. It's been so long since I've written a fight scene. How annoying to have to suddenly write up a development like this out of the blue..."

When I get stuck writing, I try to write in reverse. In other words, instead of starting at the beginning, I start at the end and go backwards from there. That way, it's easier to set up foreshadowing, and I can write the story with my vision for the end in mind. The only downside is that I have to suddenly start at the climax without setting up the story first.

As Featherine said this, words were added to the massive group of letters that filled the frozen world. However, she was starting from the end, so there was a large gap between the new words and the old ones.

"...So, how will you lose to me? You should probably have a heroic end to suit your bravery. How about this? Lambdadelta gets blasted away by something, slammed against the bookshelf, and her limbs are snapped off as she dies and disappears into the darkness below. Yes. Quite a flashy way to go. Good. For now, that's how your final moments will be."

The blanks were being filled up with the outline Featherine spoke of. At the same time, Lambdadelta's figure was wiped out. After crossing her arms and thinking again, Featherine pointed in a random direction. Then, Lambdadelta appeared, blasted away by 'something' and slammed spreadeagled against the bookshelf Featherine had pointed at.

"...Well now, I must write up the fierce battle that leads to this end, but as you can probably tell, I'm a little tipsy at the moment. I'll fill that part in later, when I have some time to go over it nice and slowly."
"...For now, let me off with this. I promise to add in a heroic fight to your liking later on..."

Before she could even blink, she was suddenly here, being slammed against a bookshelf.

"...W... h... a... t... i... s... t... h... i... s..."

She couldn't comprehend the 'something' that Featherine had killed her with. However, that was only natural. After all, Featherine herself hadn't decided what the 'something' was. However, Lambdadelta did understand one thing. She was already dead.

Streams of blood dripped from the corners of her mouth. Then, lines of blood appeared on her wrists and ankles, her elbows and knees. She looked like a marionette doll of herself.

"...W... h... a... t... k... i... l... l... e... d... m... e..."

"...Y... o... u... m... o... n... s... t... e... r..."

Still pinned against the bookshelf, Lambdadelta let her head slump. Her wrists, ankles, legs, arms, neck. Each split into a separate part, and the marionette shaped like her lost its strings, falling in pieces into the depths below. Nothing remained. It was all swallowed up by the darkness beneath them...

"A monster, she says. Quite a compliment, for one such as I. *cackle*cackle*cackle*, ahhahahahahahahahahaha."
"...L, Lambdadelta..."
"Ange, don't look. You can't look...!!"

Shedding tears of vexation, Ange closed her eyes tight. She must not look. The Witch of the Future... must not accept Lambdadelta's defeat...

"She hasn't kicked it! She was brave, and that's all there is to it...!!"
"I know...!! That Lambdadelta... would never lose...!!"

BGM: The End of the World

At that moment, there was a slight sound, and the golden key that hung in the air... shook. The seal had finally broken. Battler grabbed at it immediately. However, at exactly the same moment, a magical tremor spread throughout the vast key room.

"Wh, what?!"

That tremor... seemed to have shaken something inside my pocket. I stuck my hand in... and found that the Fragment Lambdadelta had given them to return to the Golden Land... had shattered.

"...D, dammit, Lambda's Fragment...!"
"...You were so close too. Now, there's nowhere to run."
"Bernkastel..."
"If Lambda had been a little cleverer, she probably could've bought you 5 more seconds. Then, you would've taken that key and escaped to the Golden Land. Looks like the miko suffers too when the master's a fool. Ahhahahahahaha."

Featherine quietly showed her surprise. To truly surprise her was no easy task.

:siren:BGM: lastendconductor:siren:

After taking Battler's right fist to her face, she fell. Bernkastel's body immediately split into dust and reconstructed itself in front of Battler. As though nothing had happened. However, she was holding her cheek. She couldn't undo the fact that she had been hit. For the first time in a hundred years, she had let someone tread on her shadow without wishing it.

Her face was gradually filled with shock. And Battler's? It couldn't be seen. His outstretched right arm was blocking it, so his expression couldn't be seen...

"..."
"...Wh, what?"
"...Take it back."
"T, take what back...?"

She didn't let the next strike hit her. Bernkastel vanished like mist, then reappeared a short distance away. However, Battler only missed by a hair's breadth. Not because she had intentionally made it so, but for real.

"...It hurts... it hurts, it hurts..."

Finally, she truly began to feel the pain of being punched in the face. For too many years, she had forgotten the very concept of pain. Very slowly, it was coming back to her.

"It hurts! It hurts, it hurts, it hurts... aaaaaaghghhhh!!"

Bernkastel writhed in anguish, holding her cheek. The feeling forgotten for centuries seemed to be hitting home hard. Battler looked at her. Their eyes met. Once again, Bernkastel remembered the emotion she had forgotten for hundreds of years.

"...Does it hurt?"
"...!!!"

And then, a shudder. What Battler saw before his eyes, was Bernkastel shuddering for the first time in centuries. To Bernkastel's eyes, it hadn't even looked like Battler rushing at her and punching. It was as though... she had been sucked towards where he stood with his furious fist raised. When her eyes had opened wide in terror, Battler's massive fist had been all that she could see.

Of course, he wasn't capable of hitting her. Bernkastel was just like a shadow. She dodged by moving instantly and leaving an afterimage, but mere teleportation wasn't enough to escape from Battler's furious pursuit. True, trying to hit Bern was like enviously trying to hit the reflection of the moon on water with a stone. No matter how often you hit it, you can never smash the moon's reflection. However, Battler hit it. And again. Over and over. To prevent the moon from showing on the water's surface again. A fiercely thrown pebble sent ripples across the water's surface. It broke through the moon's reflection, broke through the water's surface itself, leaving even the bottom of the pond bare, breaking through everything.

His certain willpower... broke through to a miracle. A backwards kick that Battler shot out without even looking behind him... split through empty space.

"Geh... hah..."
"...Take back your ridicule of my brave friend."
"Uuh, ghh... ggggghh..."

The Witch of Miracles fell. For the second time, she fell. Once, it would have been a miracle. Things that happen more than once aren't miracles anymore. Bernkastel understood. Battler... was capable of hitting her...

Then, she fell, was slammed against the floor, got up on her hands and knees, and vomited. She threw up violently over and over. Her face was covered with pain and vomit and tears and snot. Then, she looked up at Battler with a furious expression... and howled. And she wasn't howling at Battler.

"Forgive me, but I am busy writing Lady Lambdadelta's final moments right now. I cannot come to your aid. Why don't you all give her a hand?"

Featherine's guard, the cat overlords, now formed a different constellation. Then, each drew a magic circle and began chanting.

"Each one fought for the very existence of their country, their planet, their universe!!"
"What about you?! Ahhahaha, at best, you've just been playing around with your little sister and some imaginary witch!! These main characters are on a totally different level from you!! Eat this and die, take it to the gut, scum!!!"
"O, Onii-chan...!!!"

The many spectacular magical spells displayed the beginning of a universe, the creation of planets, then their destruction and the universe's end, all in an instant. After that, not a speck of dust should remain...

However, when the smoke cleared, there was a person standing there. It stood there... its hands in its pockets... and its head hanging quietly. Its face was in shadows and couldn't be seen.

"...Onii-chan..."
"What... the hell...?"

Battler... seemed to be completely uninjured. Not only were his clothes not burnt, but his hair hadn't even been disturbed.

"Wh, what the hell?!?! Stupid cats, that didn't work at all!!"

The cat overlords silently shook their heads, sending a short report to their master.

"What... the...?"
"It seems that no one can interfere with their tale. Forgive me, my miko. It seems the cats have reached their limit."
"...A, and you call yourselves overlords of many worlds?!! Didn't you all used to be main characters in some game board?! And this is the best you can do?! You're pathetic!!"

The cats knew. From the very beginning... They had known that, with him as the main character on this board, they wouldn't be able to interfere.

"...My miko. Creating a tale on the game board is a privilege extended only to the Game Master. Since that has been established, then being the mere writer that I am, I must respect that rule. I shall return to my position as a spectator."
"Y, you useless master...!!!"
"...Battler. I apologize for the ridicule your friend suffered at the hands of my miko. And I see that the right to weave your game belongs to you, the Game Master. You will weave your own game. That is as it should be."
"..."
"However, my miko is now a Game Master in your game. It seems the two of you opened the game board at the same time. It is rare to have two Masters for a single game, but this miracle pleases me. After all, I can rest assured that this will make for a proper final game for you both."
"...Stand up, Bernkastel."
"...I see... So, you're saying that if two Game Masters are going to fight, they have to do it by the rules of the game... *giggle*, *giggle*giggle*. Why didn't you just say that in the first place...?"

Bernkastel slowly got to her feet and made her body melt away like mist. Then, she appeared in the air once again, facing Battler.

"Onii-chan, I'll fight too."
"...Stay back."
"Why...?!"
"Watch from there. And this time, understand what I wanted to teach you."
"...Onii-chan..."
"How's that?! Aurora!"
"...I will be your witness. If you defeat my miko, I promise to return you all to the Golden Land."
"*giggle*giggle*. Assuming the Golden Land still exists, that is."
"I... believe in everyone."

"That's right... Beato... and everyone else... won't lose...!"

When Bernkastel snapped her finger, Erika appeared with a bow.

BGM: Spiral

"...Sorry, Erika. I shouldn't have kept you waiting when you came bearing good news."

"...Liar!!"
"The Golden Land has been totally destroyed. I'm here to report that it has collapsed and fallen into the sea of nothingness. Not just the humans, but the fantasy creatures as well have been completely annihilated."
"Liar!! I won't believe it!"
"...Then allow me to make you believe it. Take this, my master."

Erika humbly presented an object wrapped in cloth. It shone with a golden light.

"...What's this? A golden apple?"
"This is the heart of Beatrice, master of the Golden Land...!"
"B, Beato...!!"
"..."

Bernkastel pinched it between two fingers, held it aloft, and gazed at it.

"I, it's okay, Onii-chan... We didn't see Beato get defeated...! This is some sort of trick they're using on us. A trick to make us lose our morale...! Or maybe it's a trick of Beato's! She changed herself to pretend that she's been defeated. There's no way that Beatrice... that everyone... that the Golden Land could be destroyed...!!"
"*giggle*... *giggle*giggle*giggle*, ahhahahahahahhhahahahaha!! That's true. If the Witch of the Future believes that, you might be able to make it so... So, let me show you. Look closely, Witch of the Future from 1998."

Bernkastel... threw the golden heart into the air like an apple. Then, with the blood-red blade of the scythe that appeared in her hand, she split it...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 24, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ProfessorProf posted:

BGM: The Girl's Witch Hunt

"Your script will not be used. After all..."

Rather than time stopping, it was more like the flipping pages of a book had stopped. In this motionless world, closely packed letters appeared.

It was a tale, which had been written up to this very moment.

... Yeah. AuAu, after all seems to be a goddess of stories, and given that this place is implied to be the elemental plane of stories, it figures she'd be able to pull off stuff like that. And the sad thing is... I don't even disagree. I'm shocked, of course, an it obviously sucks for our guys that the battle must continue, but another part of me- the part of my that likes stories- understands Aurora's actions... and even applauds them. Because Lambda and Berne may be fun to watch, but in their flashy fight, where are the stakes?

Yes, it's always nice to see two people that love each other so, but both of these people are ageless avatars of concept that have no human body. We've already seen them engage in battles and duels to the death; the catbox made of the island was meant to be one of these (as was Higurashi, the whole other book previous), and what has it meant to either of them? Not much, from what I can see; maybe a slap on the wrist from higher powers, but that threat obviously isn't enough to stop either party from doing what they want. They have both repeatedly said that the only real stake they have is boredom, and once you've established that... what's the point of watching them fight? Where is the blood, the sweat, the skin in the game? It's entirely on Battler and Ange, because they are terribly mortal, and they have something to lose: the soul of Ange Ushiromiya, last of her line. So why wouldn't an author intercede in the one fight, but not in the other? Because two gods/eternal concepts fighting? Entertaining for a while but ultimately bloodless, as simple to figure out in the end as an equation- boring. But a human facing down a god? The possibilities are endless there, because isn't that all of known mythology? Isn't that, when you get down to it, a metaphor for life itself?

So no dice, Ange. Lambda was a sweetie, but she was also a deus ex machina, a writing tool considered a hoary, lazy trope by the time its own term was coined. Ange stands against entropy itself, and there shall be no gift from on high: no helpful chariot drawn by dragons to wheel her to safety, no herald of a king or long lost relative to set everybody straight, and no goddamn eagles. She shall be alone... and then what?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Beatrice gave up living as Beatrice... And lived as Sayo instead.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Your music link for lastendconductor seems to be broken, which is a shame because it's awesome.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Myriad Truths posted:

Your music link for lastendconductor seems to be broken, which is a shame because it's awesome.

Works on my end unless Prof stealth fixed it already. Edit no wait it goes to The End of the World instead of lastendconductor. Whoops I thought you meant the link was just dead.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 24, 2017

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Overall I love that post, resurgam, but this part I want to call out just because it always bugs me:

resurgam40 posted:

So no dice, Ange. Lambda was a sweetie, but she was also a deus ex machina, a writing tool considered a hoary, lazy trope by the time its own term was coined.

No she isn't, because she was pre established. It's completely possible to have an incredibly powerful being in your story and involve them in a conflict without it being a deus ex machina, even potentially in a satisfying way if written well. A deus ex machina is (rightly) widely derided because it's an all powerful being coming out of nowhere to end an established conflict, but Lambda has been part of the story since the beginning, and the nature of her relationship with Bern has been shown time and again; this sort of ultimate conflict isn't just not a shock, it's almost expected for exactly the reasons you imply.

A deus ex machina has to be something you couldn't possibly see coming; Zeus coming down in a basket having never appeared in the story to that point in order to resolve the ultimate problem with godly invocation. Just having an incredibly powerful being in your story doesn't automatically make using them a DEM, and honestly I think the way she was used here was entirely appropriate because it, and she, had been extremely well-established before now.

(Even if she had allowed the conflict to be settled here and Featherine hadn't shown up, I think I'd still think it potentially appropriate, just more disappointing and a little a-thematic. But still not a DEM.)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Music link fixed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Gonna quote just because God drat it feels good someone wiped the smirk off of her face.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Incidentally, I've gone back and made the Quiz Tournament archive-friendly, and that includes adding the mini-scenes you get if you get questions wrong. If you go back and check them out, there's a couple cute gags, particularly in Maria's and George/Jessica's puzzles.

That means I've actually finished 100% of the work I need to do to complete the LP. We've climbed this whole mountain.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

Gonna quote just because God drat it feels good someone wiped the smirk off of her face.

Finally, been waiting for this time of a smack been put on this hollow shell.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Bern taking a punch to the face is one of those moments of fiction that I can always look back on and smile about.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I asked if Bern getting punched by Battler was a real thing or a joke at the end of the last thread and found out it’s a spoiler and deleted that part of my post. If you were someone who was spoiled before I deleted it, I’m so sorry I thought it was too good to be true.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

:siren:Video: End of the Miracle:siren:

BGM: Thanks for being born

"The Witch of the Future has the power to interpret things how she pleases and rewrite what happened. However, there is just one fact that she can't overwrite, no matter how much she struggles."
"...And that is... death. You cannot overcome any concept of death, be it physical or mental. It is the single blade of truth with which witches of the past can strike down witches of the future..."
"...Ah, ah... ah..."
"Hang in there, Ange."
"...But, but..."
"You decided to accept it, didn't you? You decided to live on, even if no one came back alive, didn't you...?"
"...I know... I know, but... I know, but...!!!"

Despite everything, if she was favored by a miracle by some chance, maybe someone would come home after all. It doesn't matter when. It could be ten years later or fifty years later. It doesn't even matter if they've forgotten my face... I believed that someone might come back someday... And I decided to live with that tiny hope in my chest.

...Even though I had accepted everyone's death for a time, even though I had seen it in the Book of the Single Truth, even so, I thought... that it wouldn't be so bad... to believe in a miracle a little, would it...? A miracle that you believe in when you know it won't happen... is hope. And so, the witch who knew that miracles don't occur... had ruthlessly torn that away.

"Don't cry."
"I know...!! But, but!!"
"Even the big brother you're crying to right now... is already dead."
"Onii-chan isn't dead, he's here!! Right here!!!"
"Don't cry, Ange."
"But, but!!!"
"Don't cry!!!"

At Battler's shout, Ange bit back her tears.

BGM: Goddess gardena

"...Huh?"
"Whether we're alive or dead means nothing to you."
"Th, that's not true... I want you to live...!"
"That's not it!! You can get beyond life and death, right?!!"

Ange didn't understand what he was telling her. So, stunned into silence, she frantically considered what her brother was trying to tell her. Battler slowly lifted his face... and stared at Bernkastel.

"That's right. I have the sickle that reaps all hope and miracles. So I must be what you say."
"...You're a reaper... who stole away the hope that kept Ange alive... and lured her towards death."

The one who had thrown about truths of the past, stealing the future from Ange's eyes and forcing her to look only at the past. And, the one who had thrust the hope-crushing Single Truth in front of Ange, gently pushing her from behind as she, of her own accord, took that step from the skyscraper's roof off into the world of nothingness.

"And now, I'll free Ange from the spell that you represent!! Ange won't be trapped by the curse of the past anymore!! She'll step forward into the future!! But not into the emptiness of the abyss that you're trying to lure her into. Ange will live strongly, in the future starting in 1998!!"
"Humans are wretched creatures, who walk into the future while staring back into the past!! That's why they easily plummet into pitfalls and flip over like comical fools!!"
"Come, Bernkastel!!! A witch of the past like you can't block the radiance of the future!!"
"Aha, ahhahahahahahahahaha!!! Yes, let's go, by the rules of your game!! I'll give you some closed room riddles. But, since I'm short-tempered, overpowering, and easily bored, I'll give you all of them at once!!!"

Bernkastel spread her hands, and it seemed as though a halo or angel wings were spreading out behind her.

Bernkastel, who had traveled the sea of Fragments for many, many years, had gathered these countless closed room mysteries as souvenirs from all over the place. All of those rays twisted at once... and aimed towards Battler. It was as though infinite giant snakes had turned their heads to stare at him.

"...If you fail to shoot down even a single puzzle, then this is goodbye. I'm not as forgiving as Beato, who gave you until October 5 at midnight to give your answer. If you don't answer immediately, you die."

In that case, this wasn't 'mystery' anymore. This wasn't an intellectual game, but a merciless assault.

"Die."

All at once, hundreds of guided lasers known as mysteries shot at Battler. The complex geometric figure drawn by those blue lasers was nothing but divinely beautiful. Each one was a mystery. Trying to solve each one in this oppressive hailstorm would be like threading a storm of approaching needles. Battler flew freely through this vast space, dodging the beautiful blue streaks of mystery as he shot them down one after another. The entirety of the mystery knowledge he had built up to this day told him the answer to each puzzle. Each time his eyes glowed with the answer, one of the mysteries shattered. However, that mystery was only one out of hundreds. This hardly rose to the level of 'opposition' or 'resistance'.

"There is no unsolvable mystery, just like there is no inescapable fate."
"Onii-chan...!!"
"Watch, Ange. Don't miss what I'm trying to show you..."

By now, the bundle of mysteries looked like one giant snake with blue streaming behind it. Battler skillfully dodged it, precisely splitting its many fangs off one by one. Even though he knew it was a useless resistance, like trying to pick up all the grains of sand on a beach one by one.

"Not bad. Classic mysteries were your specialty, right? Then what about twists on the genre? Let's see if you can handle more and more mysteries from all times and places."

Even though Battler was still fighting the giant snake, wings appeared behind Bern once more. And... they gave birth to seven more huge snakes. It now looked like a great dragon with seven heads.

"...Onii-chan!! This isn't possible anymore!!! Please, just run away!! You can't beat Bernkastel!!"

Battler's expression remained calm. However, his whole body was covered with sweat, and he was breathing hard. It was clear that he couldn't overcome this onslaught, though Battler himself refused to admit it. Battler wiped away his sweat... and fixed his gaze on the eight snake heads that surrounded him in three dimensions...

"...That's..."
"In that case, if I'm going to be seeing you off as you try and step forward into the future, I must not surrender to a miracle again."
"That's right. But I'll still harvest your miracles and hopes. All of them, without mercy."

What was now an eight-headed dragon... opened its eight jaws. It looked for weak points from all angles, hoping to swallow Battler in a single gulp. He wouldn't be able to dodge any longer.

"Ange-san. If you're expecting a miracle, then I have some bad news for you."
"...?!"
"Beato has now been completely destroyed, and that has even been announced in red. Do you know what that means?"
"..."
"Since Beato has been destroyed, the Golden Land has been destroyed also. That means that they all have vanished. In other words, you no longer have any friends who can conveniently show up and save you from this pinch."

Even EVA was a resident of the Golden Land. After bravely breaking the key's seal earlier on, she had probably hidden away somewhere. However, now that Beato had been destroyed, all of the residents of the Golden Land had met the same fate as ice under the sun... Any faint hopes that EVA was hiding in the shadows, ready to save them from this final pinch... had been completely crushed from the moment that Bernkastel had smashed the golden heart...

No longer was there anyone who could save them. There was no hope that any factor which wasn't here now could ever save her brother. And herself? She could only watch from where she stood.

If I help, will I be able to bring about some kind of miracle...? But I don't know that much about the mystery genre. I've only watched Beato's game Fragments, gathering some basic training on how to fight. At best, I can avoid slowing him down, but I can't protect my brother. But... I can't just watch...

"O, Onii-chan...!! Let me fight too...!!"
"Stay back! Just... keep watching. And think."
"Think about what...?!!"

"...How I felt... when I was six..."
"You've lived for 12 years looking for the truth. But that's not your real, greatest wish."
"...My... greatest wish..."
"To protect that wish and the hope, we prepared this final game. However, unfortunately, you've wasted that chance. So you'll have to abandon that hope as you step forward into the future. But even so, even so, if you have strength in your heart, you can have it."
"...Have what...?"
"Remember. Your very first wish. Even after learning the Single Truth, remember."

The Single Truth. Even after learning the heartless truth, that everyone is dead and that no one will come home, remember. Remember your very first wish.

"Onii-chan!!!"

All of the palely glowing snakes... ran through Battler. Battler was stained red, surrounded with a cloud of blood. Then, he stumbled, and in the end, he looked at Ange. Ange... couldn't say anything in response. The light in Battler's eyes faded, and, slowly, his body began to fall... It reached the ground... and gently landed like something settling on the ocean floor.

Ange rushed toward him, and looked at the final face of her dead brother. His eyes were opened wide, filled with an unwavering determination until the very last second...

"...Was Ange-san ever that good at mysteries?"
"Well, she's nothing compared to Battler."

The waving snakes raised their heads... and surrounded Ange. Ange... had no blades to fight with. She could only cling to her brother's dead face, saying his name over and over.

"This is a surprisingly boring ending. I guess this is checkmate."
"..."

The eight snake heads... all attacked at once. Ange held her brother's dead face, thinking about his final words...

My very first wish... That could only be one thing...

BGM: Worldend (solo)

That fueled my life for 12 years, until I was finally worn out and abandoned my own hope. And, in exchange for the hope I'd abandoned, I searched for the truth. Then, at the end of the truth, I was forced to see a brutal ruthlessness that I didn't need to, and as a result, I was faced with the true despair of knowing that no one would come home. The final hope, which I had abandoned but hadn't been able to let go of completely, was crushed.

The Single Truth. If only I didn't know that, I might still be able to hold that faint hope.

But, now...

If you have strength in your heart, you can still have it.

Remember... your very first wish.

BGM: The Sin

Battler was coughing. Impossible. His whole body had been pierced, and he had been completely dead. For him to cough would be too much of a miracle to be possible.

"What?!! Why?! Battler died!! So why, why was he revived?!"

Battler rose to his feet slowly. Though blood still dribbled from his mouth, his expression was fearless. However, Ange didn't stand up. She kept sitting, her head lowered.

"Wh, what in the... why, my master?! The dead can't revive!!"
"Impossible!! Battler is dead!!! How can he revive?!"
"...Onii-chan... is alive..."
"I've used the red truth!! I've said that Battler is dead, right?! So why, how did he come back to life?!?!"
"Even if the whole world says he's dead, I'll be the one person in the world who believes... Onii-chan is alive. And, someday, he'll come back to me."
"That's right. As long as you don't lose that hope, there's no miracle that can be crushed!"
"Y, you stand before the Witch of Miracles, and you speak of miracles yourseeeeeeeeeelf?!! Uuuuurrrrrgggggggghghh, swallow them, grind them up, erase both siblings noooooooooooooooww!!!"

The eight wriggling snake heads transformed into a massive whale jaw... and swallowed everything.

"There is someone. Everyone... will protect me."

The cruel whale of mystery that tried to swallow everything... was gouged deeply by a massive wedge. This deeply pounded wedge could only be used by those who had talent and a deep love for mysteries.

The woman who stood back to back with Battler, launching stakes... was very, very clearly...

"Beato?!?! How?! Your death has been announced with the red truth!!"
"...Just what is your red truth...?"
"The red truth is absolute!! A perfect truth, which no one can overturn no matter how hard they try!!"
"Even if the whole world gets together... and denies the truth about my family... even if that's forced in front of my eyes as the Single Truth, I won't acknowledge it. After all..."

Ange slowly rose to her feet. Around her, the shapes of people slowly appeared, and they also rose to their feet. One after another, a whole crowd of them. They were... Ange's family, her relatives. Everyone from Rokkenjima. That wasn't all. Everyone from the Golden Land, all of the fantasy creatures appeared, and following Ange's lead, they rose to their feet. Then, all of them glared at Bernkastel.

"...Y, you... weren't you just a Witch of the Future...? Just a powerless witch who could only shed tears of regret for the past...?!"
"I am the Golden Witch, ANGE Beatrice. My titles are the Golden, the Endless, and the Witch of Resurrection."
"...You've reached it, haven't you, Ange?"
"Yeah. Thanks, Onee-chan. After all those long years, I've finally reached it."
"I always knew you would be able to reach it."
"Thanks, Onii-chan. I've accepted it. Accepted what your last game was trying to teach me."
"Disappear, stupid delusions!!! I can't... I can't accept something like thiiiiiiiiiiis!!!"

"Uuurrrggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhh!!!"

They were the same as the marks left by Bernkastel's great snakes. However, the glow inside these... was gold. Then, they wriggled, combined into one single mass, and transformed into an eagle with two wings. It wasn't one-winged anymore.

Those spread wings... made Bernkastel and the whale shrink back.

"The Ushiromiya eagle never looks back."
"And it never gives up...!!"

The golden eagle easily swallowed the blue whale with its wings, grinding it to bits. And it didn't let the whale's master escape either. It was now Bernkastel's turn to run. Bernkastel didn't fight the golden eagle. She couldn't. In this world of Ange's, where even the red truth couldn't hurt anyone, just what sort of attack could have any effect?

She frantically ran this way and that, throwing one wedge of red truth after another at the Ushiromiya family.

She repeated this over and over again, but no one fell down. Ange wouldn't accept it, so they couldn't pierce anyone.

"Th, this is... Can Endless Nine really do this...?! E, even the red truth... doesn't work?!! Just what is this golden truth?!! What kind of golden truth could defeat red truth...?!!!"
"A believing heart. This is 'our' consensus. Compared to the truth that we all acknowledge and share, your red truth can't hurt anything."
"...So long, Bernkastel! This time, it's really checkmate."
"I... I... won't accept this, I woooooooooooooooooooooon't!!!"

It then slammed into the vast ceiling... and there was an incredible explosion accompanied by an earthquake. From the cracked ceiling, along with many falling chips, a single black cat plummeted... and slammed against the floor.

Erika ran up to it, repeatedly calling out to her master, hugging it. Then, she realized that it was still breathing, and simultaneous expressions of relief and shock rose to her face.

"...Don't worry. I won't let you lay a finger on my truth, and in the same way, I won't lay a finger on your truth either."
"...She looks like a wet mop."
"Call it a free scolding for her own good."
"Beato. Don't act too cozy with my big brother. I still haven't accepted your relationship, got it?"
"*cackle*cackle*! It was your own foolishness to revive me! It's too late. My charming subordinates and I will be tormenting you until the day you die!! And I'll make you watch Battler flirt with me every day!!"
"Wah?!"
"Wow, this is pretty convenient. Looks like this resurrection magic has an off switch."
"Wha... wai... An...!!"

Beato kept appearing and disappearing like a lightbulb turning on and off. Ange seemed to be enjoying herself.

"Go easy on her, Ange."
"Sure. If you say so, Onii-chan."
"Ange, you're incredible!! Uryu-!!"
"Ange-sama!! Congratulations on becoming a Witch of Resurrection!! This way, we'll all... be with you forever!"
"Yeah, that's right. Everyone. The anti-magic toxin doesn't matter one bit. You'll be with me for all eternity."
"Nice, Ange. Well said!!"

Everyone surged forward, squishing Ange. They tried tossing her into the air, but dropped her onto her butt, and everyone laughed. Ange looked a bit resentful, but when her brother lent her a hand, she got up and joined the circle of smiles...

A quiet applause greeted them. Featherine, their witness, had acknowledged their victory and was clapping for them.

BGM: Engage of Marionette

"..."
"There is no need to be so hostile. I am congratulating you."

Featherine smiled serenely. Then, the cat overlords broke their positions in their constellation and lined up behind her. It was clear that this was not only a peaceful action, but part of a solemn ceremony.

"You have defeated my miko. And I thank you for sparing her life. As you can see, she was my cute pet cat, who never ceased to save me from boredom. If she died, boredom would overcome me as well."

The true strength of this being, who referred to Bernkastel as a pet cat, had already been made clear during her fight with Lambdadelta. Even so, Ange spoke.

"...I... won't forgive you for killing Lambdadelta."
"My, that doesn't sound like the words of a Witch of Resurrection. Can you not revive her whenever you wish?"
"Huh? I can revive her...?!"
"It's okay! I'm sure that Lady Lambdadelta has been revived somewhere, thanks to your power. There is no need to worry."
"Indeed. She has already been moved to the audience seating I prepared for her. Do not fear. I will take good care of her."
"Really?! That's... wonderful..."

Ange finally relaxed and let the tension leave her whole body.

"Well now. Battler. You are now the sole Game Master of your final game."
"...True. That cat of yours will probably retire after that."
"Perhaps you should carry on with the final ceremony of your game... My miko is as forgetful as a cat, but she can sometimes be as persistent as one. I suggest getting it over with quickly."
"...Yeah. I'll take that suggestion."
"I shall be your witness and write a detailed account."

BGM: Thanks for all people

Battler nodded silently. Then, he stepped out of the crowd and motioned for Ange to follow him. As Ange passed by each member of the Ushiromiya family, they cheered her on, giving words of encouragement. Battler took out the golden key and handed it to Ange. It now had the same glint it had possessed when he had first given it to her.

Then, two doors appeared out of thin air on either side of them. They had a stately design, making it clear that this was a very important decision.

"...Am I supposed to pick one without any hints?"
"Of course not. I'll give you a hint. By now, it should be an easy puzzle. A simple puzzle with two answers. And you'll choose your answer by opening one of the doors."
"I see... Okay. So this is a continuation of that Halloween party. I fell asleep during that party, didn't I? I'm glad to finally wrap that up properly."
"Beato. Come forward."
"*cackle*cackle*. This is your fault for falling asleep before my puzzle. I'm glad I've gotten a chance to tell it."
"Sorry about that. It sounds like it'll be pretty tough."
"Uryu-! You'll be fine, Ange!"
"Kihihihihihi, I wonder about that."
"*cackle*cackle*! Prepare yourself. It's a tough one!"
"...Calm down, Ange. It's an easy puzzle. Do you remember what your brother told you at the very beginning, about how to choose the best possible option...?"
"..."
"Battler, you're giving too many hints. This is the triumphant return of Lady ANGE, Witch of the Future. All you have to do is watch over her."
"...True. Then I'll hand it over to Beato. I'm counting on you."
"Indeed. Then let us begin."
"O, okay."

Ange gulped, then stared up at the witch's face.

Then, she slowly spread her fingers.

"Look carefully at my palm. I'm not hiding anything, correct?"
"...Yeah. There's nothing there."
"Watch closely. I'll make a fist, and then stretch out my index finger."

She stretched out her index finger and held it right in front of Ange's eyes.

"Watch the tip of my finger closely. Ready? It'll be fast."

The witch rapidly lifted her index finger high into the air, pointing at the heavens. Just as Ange looked up to see the finger raised high, it swung down as though trying to dodge her gaze. In that manner, up, down, left, right, then left again. Ange, feeling as though she'd lose if she couldn't keep up with the fingertip, swung her face this way and that, looking serious.

The witch's hand moved faster and faster. Ange didn't lose track of it. Then, after the high pointing finger was swung down all of a sudden, the index finger curled up again, and the hand was held in a simple fist.

"..."
"Ready? I'm going to open my hand..."

And there... was a cutely wrapped candy.

"Got it?"
"Yeah."
"Was this a trick or magic? That is my puzzle for you."
"Go ahead, Ange. Give your answer. Is this a trick or magic...?"

I... know. I know what the answer is.

"If your answer is 'magic', open this door. If it's 'a trick', then open that door."

I had already decided my answer.

My friends. You have traveled far, and learned everything there is to know about this tale. I'm certain that you already know the answer as well.

Is it a trick, or is it magic?
2. Which ending would you rather see first?

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 7, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
To be extra clear on the structure of this, this is going to be the order of the remaining scenes:

1. The chosen ending
2. The alternate ending
3. Tea Party
4. ???

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Ah, an answer I've been waiting to give ever since someone let slip early on that there's be a choice near the end of the game. I mean, wasn't it obvious what the choice would ultimately be, even if the wording is a little different than we expected?

We've talked a lot about love here in this thread, and the game talks about it quite frequently as well. But to love someone doesn't mean you have to delude yourself about the nature of the person or the nature of the world. Mysteries are all about love; you have to trust that the author has created a world that is a puzzle you can solve; they have to love the reader and the story and you have to love what they've created if you want to really get to the heart of it. It's easy to imagine a mystery as a battle between the reader and the author, but that isn't how stories work; you and the author are working together, just playing different roles. After all, you can just read right through a mystery without solving anything, without even TRYING to solve anything, and still enjoy it for its storytelling or craft or both. You could read the last page first, if you like; the book and its author are powerless before you. The only winning or losing is in your own head! The real opponent in a mystery is yourself, and how much of a challenge you want.

We know that mystery writers trick us. But like stage magicians, they do it for us, to entertain us and make us happy, and to make us wonder... if it is a trick, how was it performed? What's behind all the tricks? A trick demands that we think about the world more deeply, and that we care about what happens in it. People reread mysteries, after all, just to appreciate them, even when they already know the answer. And each time, the characters are alive again, even if they get shot on page twenty. It's up to you to decide if they had a miraculous escape later, too; I mean, isn't that also a kind of trick?

And if that's how it is, I guess it would make sense to look into that ending first, wouldn't it?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ah, an answer I've been waiting to give ever since someone let slip early on that there's be a choice near the end of the game. I mean, wasn't it obvious what the choice would ultimately be, even if the wording is a little different than we expected?

We've talked a lot about love here in this thread, and the game talks about it quite frequently as well. But to love someone doesn't mean you have to delude yourself about the nature of the person or the nature of the world. Mysteries are all about love; you have to trust that the author has created a world that is a puzzle you can solve; they have to love the reader and the story and you have to love what they've created if you want to really get to the heart of it. It's easy to imagine a mystery as a battle between the reader and the author, but that isn't how stories work; you and the author are working together, just playing different roles. After all, you can just read right through a mystery without solving anything, without even TRYING to solve anything, and still enjoy it for its storytelling or craft or both. You could read the last page first, if you like; the book and its author are powerless before you. The only winning or losing is in your own head! The real opponent in a mystery is yourself, and how much of a challenge you want.

We know that mystery writers trick us. But like stage magicians, they do it for us, to entertain us and make us happy, and to make us wonder... if it is a trick, how was it performed? What's behind all the tricks? A trick demands that we think about the world more deeply, and that we care about what happens in it. People reread mysteries, after all, just to appreciate them, even when they already know the answer. And each time, the characters are alive again, even if they get shot on page twenty. It's up to you to decide if they had a miraculous escape later, too; I mean, isn't that also a kind of trick?

And if that's how it is, I guess it would make sense to look into that ending first, wouldn't it?

Magic is real, drat it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

oath2order posted:

Magic is real, drat it.

Of course it is. A trick is a real thing that a person can do. So is believing in yourself, and hoping for the future, and writing a story for someone to read, which is probably the simplest way for two people to create a universe. No demons or mystic circles necessary.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Well, as long as you admit it, I can go back to my sleep satisfied.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart?
How the musicgameboard can free her, whenever it starts~

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I picked a real bad time to get a job because I missed most of EP8, but it feels really good to be getting ready to read one of my favorite endings in fiction with some new folks and new friends. What a ride! Kudos to Prof, who put in a crazy amount of work to get this all nicely archived.

Also, I think reading trick first is the more satisfying reading experience, personally, but now that Peas has set the bar real high, I’m looking forward to seeing what other folks’ justification for their decision will be.

Edit: for the record, magic is extremely real and also important.

rko fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 25, 2017

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Remember, guys, there are two questions in Prof's post. If you only give one answer, he'll assume you mean the same for both.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The question is split because I want you to give me an answer based on your thoughts on the story independently of what order you want to see the endings in. Consider them separately and give me a real answer to Beatrice's riddle.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
If I were in Ange’s shoes, I’d choose magic. And as a spectator, I still want to see that first.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Magic is obviously real, and you always go for the real ending last, so trick first.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'm a witch so my choice probably doesn't count for much on the tally but at this point in the game there was no hesitation. I went magic right away. Ange deserved to have some real magic happen for her. Just this once.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 25, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

edit: Or taking 40 seconds to refresh. well crap.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
As we've been saying the whole time, this is a splendid bit of magic, of course. I don't really care about the order but let's say trick ending first.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Magic and tricks are indistinguishable except by the viewer. That which you can explain is a "trick", that which you cannot or choose not to explain is "magic". They still create improbable or even functionally impossible results. We've had everything here explained, and the magic is only there if we choose to let it be magical.

That said, let's go with the Trick ending first.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

KataraniSword posted:

Magic and tricks are indistinguishable except by the viewer.

There isn't a "both" button.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Magic is real!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me