Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

504 posted:

Thanks for the tips, good info here. I'll name them (I'm cool) but have service animals someone get to friendly.

Sorry.....farm boy checking in. Chickens are not pets to me. I like them a lot, some are way more fun than others. They are stock animals.

If you want to keep them as pets you probably need a fully enclosed run. How good this needs to be depends on whether you are just dealing with hawks or also foxes and whatever the hell else you might have where you live.

If you try to keep them as pets you will likely end up sad when Henrietta ends up missing one day, or when Cluck Norris has her insides come out because of a vent prolapse that is best solved with a hatchet and chicken dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Or when little Henny Penny is brutally eviscerated by the other chickens because she got too big for her britches and they decided to take her down a peg or two and got caught up in their tiny-brained bloodlust.

And then after they kill her, they eat her.

Chickens are savages.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Haha yeah, I'm not getting my 14 year old teen girl cousin who I haven't seen in 5 years a Raymond Carver book.

My sister was reading Carver around that age because our aunt is really into short stories, but yeah probably not for everyone.

I'd guess that most teens read more than most adults, it's just mostly for school and often not interesting to them.

Franny and Zooey might work.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What is the difference between Expedia.com and Booking.com? I'm not able to find many answers online but one link says that the way they advertise and sell hotel rooms is different. Expedia.com buys hotel rooms in bulk at a discount and sells it to potential customers while Booking.com is just a site where hotels can advertise their own rooms on their own while providing Booking.com with a small commission. Is that the case? Does that mean that Booking.com does not handle any payments on their site and that the individual hotels are responsible for all the credit card transactions and risks associated with it such as chargebacks?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you go on Google Books you can often find books available to read on there for free but with chunks missing. How does that work? I assume it's an agreement with the publisher that they can put up some but not all of it, but are the missing bits specifically chosen? Is it random? Sometimes whole chapters are missing, other times it's just a page or two in the middle of a chapter. And that's within the same book, like it'll be missing chapters 3 and 5 as well as pages 20-21, 40-50 and 75.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is just anecdotal, but I've searched for things in the same book before and it shows you different pages each time. I think the entire book is up there but it only shows you the most relevant (n) search results in that book.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

When you go on Google Books you can often find books available to read on there for free but with chunks missing. How does that work? I assume it's an agreement with the publisher that they can put up some but not all of it, but are the missing bits specifically chosen? Is it random? Sometimes whole chapters are missing, other times it's just a page or two in the middle of a chapter. And that's within the same book, like it'll be missing chapters 3 and 5 as well as pages 20-21, 40-50 and 75.

They were forced into it. They sent hundreds of people to libraries across the countries, checked out books and started digitizing them with specially built robots that flip and photograph pages. They wanted to index the world’s information, including print. Publishers caught wind and sued them to hell to get them to stop. They eventually reached an agreement where they could index the books but could not show them in full in public searches. Google has a database of 25 million digitized books that no one is allowed to read anymore.

The Atlantic has a pretty good article about this a few months ago: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/the-tragedy-of-google-books/523320/

As fas as what pages are omitted/shown, I believe they usually show the TOS and first few pages, but everything else is random.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Re: teen gift, buying gifts for someone you don't know well enough to buy gifts for seems like a pointless, annoying chore

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

Re: teen gift, buying gifts for someone you don't know well enough to buy gifts for seems like a pointless, annoying chore

That's why the best way to pretend ygaf is to give them cash/prepaid credit

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ras Het posted:

sounds like dealing with family, alright

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had hiccups last night, and it got me wondering: why do we hiccup? And why is hiccuping something I can't consciously do? I tried getting myself to hiccup to see if I could, and I straight up couldn't. So yeah, an explanation as to why we hiccup, what it's even for, and why we can't consciously do it would be interesting to read.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

I had hiccups last night, and it got me wondering: why do we hiccup? And why is hiccuping something I can't consciously do? I tried getting myself to hiccup to see if I could, and I straight up couldn't. So yeah, an explanation as to why we hiccup, what it's even for, and why we can't consciously do it would be interesting to read.

It's very subconscious but there's a tiny reptilian nodule in your brain that says you aren't getting enough oxygen, or too much CO2 or something and then gasps for air.

We're not loving reptiloid lovecraftian monsters but some batrachian idiot child is down there in our basement saying "you drank too much seawater" and our conscious mind is saying, no that was Patrón you dumb rear end in a top hat

e: guess which one wins

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ladron posted:

sounds like dealing with family, alright

Yeah but you gotta draw a line. Anyone you can legally have sex with isn't family-family and you shouldn't have to buy gifts for them

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Motronic posted:

Sorry.....farm boy checking in. Chickens are not pets to me. I like them a lot, some are way more fun than others. They are stock animals.

If you want to keep them as pets you probably need a fully enclosed run. How good this needs to be depends on whether you are just dealing with hawks or also foxes and whatever the hell else you might have where you live.

If you try to keep them as pets you will likely end up sad when Henrietta ends up missing one day, or when Cluck Norris has her insides come out because of a vent prolapse that is best solved with a hatchet and chicken dinner.

I won't treat them as pets, my phone auto corrected my comment to word jumble, it should say "so won't get to Friendly" not "someone get to friendly"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Busy Bee posted:

What is the difference between Expedia.com and Booking.com? I'm not able to find many answers online but one link says that the way they advertise and sell hotel rooms is different. Expedia.com buys hotel rooms in bulk at a discount and sells it to potential customers while Booking.com is just a site where hotels can advertise their own rooms on their own while providing Booking.com with a small commission. Is that the case? Does that mean that Booking.com does not handle any payments on their site and that the individual hotels are responsible for all the credit card transactions and risks associated with it such as chargebacks?

Hotel manager's perspective: Booking is merely evil, Expedia is extremely and aggressively evil.

Actual answer to your question is it can vary but the commission is usually pretty near the same (major chains pay less, smaller businesses pay more). Expedia locks in a certain number (usually 10-20%) of a property's rooms that the property isn't allowed to sell until day-of, Booking does not. Expedia is also paranoid about never allowing a hotel to offer a rate less than is on Expedia's websites, and has people check online and call hotels daily to check on this.

Expedia will take payment from you, keep the commission and then pay the hotel the balance, but the hotel is still responsible for getting your credit card for incidentals. But Expedia also allows you to book the room without paying up front and wait until day of arrival (or whenever the hotel requires payment, some places require it a day or two in advance) to pay. You can do it either way. As far as I know Booking doesn't process payment. Either way though, the hotel bears all the risk. If someone chargebacks Expedia, Expedia just bills the hotel.

Hotels are much much happier if you book direct, of course, and usually don't count stays booked through third parties on their rewards programs (Expedia has its own rewards program).

gently caress Expedia though. They go out of their way to be dicks to hotel employees, especially smaller/non-chain hotels. You need them more than they need you, and they quite enjoy reminding you of it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

504 posted:

Suddenly having a property that can have chickens, I might like to get some chickens.

Are they easy to care for? or is it like goldfish where the fuckers die the moment I forget to feed them once. Also, if I have chickens do I get eggs? I don't want chickens if I don't get eggs.

Chickens are awesome to keep, they're very low maintenance and take care of themselves. I'd highly recommend giving them a decently sized run, so when it comes time to turning them into food, you've got the best chicken possible, and not some horrible meat from their lifetime of being penned up in a small area. A run is great as well cause they'll eat whatever critters are in the grass, mine used to eat all the grasshoppers (I'd walk through the grass barefoot some days to scare the grasshoppers and force them to jump around, and I'd have about 15 chickens all rushing around my legs like a little cute swarm of Zerglings).

There's nothing wrong with being friendly and close to them, as long as you always tell yourself you're raising them for a reason (food and eggs). People think chickens are dumb, but they all have different personalities. Some are really cuddly and loving, others are just rude assholes. Do yourself a favour and keep mating in check, don't just let the rooster go around, you'll end up with inbred chickens very very quickly this way. So either get all hens, or have a rooster but keep him separate (with one or two hens as company) for most of the time.

All you gotta do is buy bird feeders, and that'll automatically dispense their food and water really easily. So you'll only have to fill up the water once a day (if that), we'd change our water completely every two days. Food is even less bothersome, depending on how many you have, the dispenser will stay full for a solid week or so.

If you buy the chickens when they're young, they'll quickly become accustomed to you and won't run away when they're older. It's a great feeling when you go outside with leftovers and call out to them and they all come flocking. We used to let our chickens roam the entire garden in the day, and then at dusk, the chickens would all head back into the coop themselves and we'd lock them in to keep them safe.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My phone automatically blocks withheld numbers (sends them directly to voice mail), but in the last two days I've seen two calls a day. Very unusual - it's normally 1 or 2 a month.

Should I change my message to say I don't get calls from withheld numbers, or should I just say gently caress it and let them leave a message if they want?

e: I just changed it :ohdear:

"Hello, this is brylcreem. I don't take calls from withheld numbers, so leave a message with your number and I'll call you back, or call again when showing your number"

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 23, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Or just answer the phone and see what's going on?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hotel manager's perspective: Booking is merely evil, Expedia is extremely and aggressively evil.

Actual answer to your question is it can vary but the commission is usually pretty near the same (major chains pay less, smaller businesses pay more). Expedia locks in a certain number (usually 10-20%) of a property's rooms that the property isn't allowed to sell until day-of, Booking does not. Expedia is also paranoid about never allowing a hotel to offer a rate less than is on Expedia's websites, and has people check online and call hotels daily to check on this.

Expedia will take payment from you, keep the commission and then pay the hotel the balance, but the hotel is still responsible for getting your credit card for incidentals. But Expedia also allows you to book the room without paying up front and wait until day of arrival (or whenever the hotel requires payment, some places require it a day or two in advance) to pay. You can do it either way. As far as I know Booking doesn't process payment. Either way though, the hotel bears all the risk. If someone chargebacks Expedia, Expedia just bills the hotel.

Hotels are much much happier if you book direct, of course, and usually don't count stays booked through third parties on their rewards programs (Expedia has its own rewards program).

gently caress Expedia though. They go out of their way to be dicks to hotel employees, especially smaller/non-chain hotels. You need them more than they need you, and they quite enjoy reminding you of it.

Thank you for the explanation. I just looked on Booking.com's website and this is what they said:

"Booking.com BV (“Booking.com”) provides online reservation services. Booking.com acts as an intermediary (agent) between guests wanting to make an online hotel reservation and you offering rooms.

It’s important to remember that the agreement and transaction is made directly between you and the guest. Unlike other accommodation reservation websites, Booking.com is not a contracting party in the transaction between your property and the guest.

The guest pays the room rate to you after their stay, or earlier in the case of a non-refundable booking. You have an agreement with Booking.com for using the online reservation platform and you have to pay Booking.com a certain commission amount, which is sent to you in an invoice after the guest checks out."

Interesting, I never knew that was the case! Seems like a lot better model than Expedia, that's for sure.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

bongwizzard posted:

Or just answer the phone and see what's going on?

I understood it as he doesn't know it's ringing, the caller just goes straight to voice mail and he gets a notification

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Interesting, I never knew that was the case! Seems like a lot better model than Expedia, that's for sure.

To be clear, Expedia is generally great to guests. They're dicks to hotels.

Re: calls with caller ID blocked: 90% of the time it's telemarketers anyway.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 23, 2017

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

I understood it as he doesn't know it's ringing, the caller just goes straight to voice mail and he gets a notification

Exactly. It's a new setting on my Android phone. Samsung Galaxy S8.

e: I just had a new call from a withheld number, but they didn't leave a message. gently caress 'em.

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 23, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

brylcreem posted:

Exactly. It's a new setting on my Android phone. Samsung Galaxy S8.

e: I just had a new call from a withheld number, but they didn't leave a message. gently caress 'em.

it could be a debt collector or telemarketer. is it the same number every time?

how do you like the S8?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

it could be a debt collector or telemarketer. is it the same number every time?

how do you like the S8?

There's no number.

I like it a lot, great camera, fast, Bixby, the digital assistant is alright, but I get nervous with all the glass, so I bought a plastic cover for it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Telemarketers and debt collectors have hundreds of numbers they can call from, precisely so that you can't just block their calls even if they don't block caller ID. Once they have your number it is impossible to make them leave you alone.

Hopefully everyone reading this already knows this, but just in case someone doesn't: get a google voice number, set it up so it doesn't notify you at all when someone calls it, and use that number when you sign up for poo poo. Never ever give your real personal phone number to anyone but close friends and family. It's a good idea even when you start dating someone to give them the Google number until you're certain they aren't crazy.

(If you're like me though you'll still be hounded by some telemarketers/collectors thanks to whatever chucklefuck had this number before me, and changing the number will just get a new set of telemarketers/collectors thanks to a different chucklefuck)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 23, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be clear, Expedia is generally great to guests. They're dicks to hotels.

So would you say that in a case where a chargeback with a credit card occurs that the hotel is responsible for the chargeback or would Booking.com be responsible? I know you said that the hotel would be responsible for I wonder if part of the package of listing a hotel on Booking.com is that they would take the risk

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

So would you say that in a case where a chargeback with a credit card occurs that the hotel is responsible for the chargeback or would Booking.com be responsible?

Are you planning a scam?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Ras Het posted:

Are you planning a scam?

No, just asking some questions. Not sure how I would plan a scam based off that knowledge of which party is responsible for the chargeback. I'll just find the terms and conditions for partnering with Booking.com - will find my answer that way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

So would you say that in a case where a chargeback with a credit card occurs that the hotel is responsible for the chargeback or would Booking.com be responsible? I know you said that the hotel would be responsible for I wonder if part of the package of listing a hotel on Booking.com is that they would take the risk

In Booking's case they don't do anything with your card except share it with the hotel, who charges it. So the chargeback would hit the hotel directly.

If Expedia charges your card and then you chargeback them, they'll just recoup it from the hotel.

e: if you're actually running a lodging property and thinking about signing up with Booking, just email them and tell them you're interested. Ignore anything any salesman says, get the contract and thoroughly read it. You can PM me if any other questions come up (consulting a lawyer is better though).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 23, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hopefully everyone reading this already knows this, but just in case someone doesn't: get a google voice number, set it up so it doesn't notify you at all when someone calls it, and use that number when you sign up for poo poo. Never ever give your real personal phone number to anyone but close friends and family. It's a good idea even when you start dating someone to give them the Google number until you're certain they aren't crazy.

Also if you line your normal hat with tin foil it still protects you but looks a little less suspicious.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

brylcreem posted:

There's no number.

I like it a lot, great camera, fast, Bixby, the digital assistant is alright, but I get nervous with all the glass, so I bought a plastic cover for it.

yeah, I have an S7edge and it's the best phone ever.
I gotta go with the guy who said just answer the call. It's probably a forgotten fax machine in some closed down garage trying to auto-order more toner.

bongwizzard posted:

Also if you line your normal hat with tin foil it still protects you but looks a little less suspicious.

pfff that's not nearly enough foil

ladron fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 23, 2017

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I used to have a friend who wouldn't answer calls without a number, but would block hers so we would always miss hers thinking it was a Telemarketer. No texts, either.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so I accepted the call.

Turns out it was a research institute, reminding me to do a survey they've sent me.

I am a member of their panel and answer surveys for gift cards, so it's okay, but they've never been that persistent before. That particular survey is so long and boring I gave up on it, lol.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

brylcreem posted:

Okay, so I accepted the call.

Turns out it was a research institute, reminding me to do a survey they've sent me.

I am a member of their panel and answer surveys for gift cards, so it's okay, but they've never been that persistent before. That particular survey is so long and boring I gave up on it, lol.

at least we can all sleep now

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know, right?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ladron posted:

at least we can all sleep now

The survey was about...insomnia!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lets say I want to make myself a nice relaxing whiskey and coke. If the whiskey is 40% alcohol, and I mix it at a 1:3 ratio, does that mean my final drink is 10%? Or does it not work that way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

Lets say I want to make myself a nice relaxing whiskey and coke. If the whiskey is 40% alcohol, and I mix it at a 1:3 ratio, does that mean my final drink is 10%? Or does it not work that way.

As long as you're using alcohol by volume (ABV) then that's exactly how it works. Using 100mL amounts to make it easier:

100mL whiskey = 40mL pure alcohol
Add 300mL coke = 400mL total with 40mL alcohol included.

I think the vast majority of places use ABV.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks!

Yeah ABV is what we use in this country. I'm asking because someone is trying to convince me that 7% cody's bourbon and cola would be indistinguishable from jim beam and coke mixed to the same ratio but, like, way cheaper bro! Thus far I've decided they're a massively wrong pisshead because cody's seems to be brewed using bilgewater from the sea shepherd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
1:3 is a week-rear end drink too, like anything with ice wants to be way closer to 1:2.