Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, much like Games Paradise I probably won't trust either name online again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I've always had good dealings with Joe Dodgy/New Milsims.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Has anyone tried Aristeia? It sounds kinda neat, but who the gently caress knows nowadays. I noticed it's somewhat nicely discounted on Miniature Market atm, and it seems like something my girlfriend would enjoy playing with me, which is important since I keep buying games that are for 3+ players and then never getting to play them because I don't know anyone where I live except two people who love games but aren't available all that often.

e: Also, how is Tak? What are some good 2-player (abstracts especially) you guys would recommend? Girlfriend loves Codenames Duet, Dominion (we've only just started working Intrigue in, so that rabbit hole has miles to go), Patchwork, and Castles of Burgundy already. Anything that's really heavy on individual player arithmetic or something is not a good idea because that's easily the biggest gap between us, we both really like word games and used to play exclusively Bananagrams when we lived in Japan and that was all we had available.

Aristeia looks like incredibly swingy garbage from the play video i've seen. Maybe it gets better when you get into it, but to me it looked like play devolves into a mosh pit around the objective pretty instantly, and the dice system is so opaque it seems basically impossible to work out what your odds are of actually achieving anything. Seriously, I don't think i've seen a more needlessly complicated dice system since CthulhuTech.

Earth Reborn, Claustrophobia or Imperial Assault would be good alternatives for 2.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jordan7hm posted:

18xx feels like one of those things you either know you’re going to like or not.

I've had someone say "I didn't think I'd like this but it was awesome."

angel opportunity posted:

ggs CommonShore and Jordan...

I think Jordan having to fire their VP was totally gg for you :( Also placing that house with a garden which fed me probably made things way harder for CommonShore. I'd like to say I played really well to win but I think some of the blunders you guys made always ended up favoring me more than usual :D

With that said...the hamburger airplanes slowed me down A LOT. Maybe CommonShore could have somehow taken better advantage of that

Yeah I was a bit rusty. That's why i want to play again. I feel as if the decisive moment was the lemonade radio. I should have just stuck on my initial trajectory of getting another pizza cook that turn. In fact, I should have gotten that second pizza cook three turns earlier than I did. As soon as I saw you guys pushing for early advertisement, I decided to work to undercut.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kiranamos posted:

I knew when Tom Vasel told me that Star Wars Rebellion was a modern War of the Ring, that I should have taken it to mean the complete opposite.

MikeCrotch posted:

That...seems like a pretty accurate comparison? In terms of general feel and scope, rather than specific mechanics ofc.

In that they're both asymmetric games based on a popular franchise, where-in one side has a huge military advantage and the other almost certainly has to win through completing a goal only tangentially connected to combat? Yeah, I can see the comparison.

On the other hand the mechanics are very different, particularly in that the Empire also has to play the "find the rebel base" mini-game before it can really use its vast military might where-as Sauron always knows where Minas Tirith is. For that matter, the Free Peoples are almost entirely on the defensive militarily while hoping the Fellowship makes it to the volcano, where-as the Rebels actually need to launch a few hit-and-fade attacks to pick up some reputation and hasten the Empire's demise.

Nevertheless, I can see the comparison...from a certain point of view, but that POV may not be the most useful one when trying to decide if you want to buy Rebellion. Or War of the Ring, for that matter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jordan7hm posted:

18xx feels like one of those things you either know you’re going to like or not.

I didn’t think I’d like it a couple years ago, not even last year. The trick is to keep chasing the heavy game high until you reach it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I tried my first game of Sakura Arms and it seems okay for now? Some of the mechanisms feel weird at first because once you get into the swing of it, it isn't too bad. Most of the game is about setting range correctly, since you know that once you are in range, you will most likely hit. Of the starting decks, the defensive one seemed a little bit better, but it will be interesting to try out the decks when we can actually make choices/know the characters better.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I tried my first game of Sakura Arms and it seems okay for now? Some of the mechanisms feel weird at first because once you get into the swing of it, it isn't too bad. Most of the game is about setting range correctly, since you know that once you are in range, you will most likely hit. Of the starting decks, the defensive one seemed a little bit better, but it will be interesting to try out the decks when we can actually make choices/know the characters better.

My friend brought it back from PaxUn and it does seem like an interesting resource management take on fighting games. I like the BattleCon (I think?) style distance requirements and the activated-trap-card way of dealing with reactions instead of preprogrammed actions. We played a few times and had the same conclusion. We also tried a couple user-created decks and it’s a lot tougher unless you know enough about each character to choose correct counters. That need for familiarity is probably how they’ll sell the one/player game idea. They say you want it for mirror matches but that’s only a side benefit.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

e: Also, how is Tak? What are some good 2-player (abstracts especially) you guys would recommend?

Like the box says, Tak is an Elegant Game. It plays like a classic abstract that’s been lost to time. The wood pieces are nice quality and the board is two-sided with options for 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, and 6x6.

Tash Kalar is great though I haven’t personally played it. I’ve gotten a ton of fun out of The Duke, which is just a spin on chess that turns it into an unpredictable knife-fight. You’ve got a Duke instead of a King, and your goal is to capture the enemy’s Duke. The first twist is that you’ve got a bag of pieces that you randomly draw from to put them on the field as the game progresses, with their move set printed on the tile itself. The second twist is that after moving a piece you flip it over, revealing a different set of moves on the back. So you get archers that can fire from a distance then reload, knights that can charge to the enemy then retreat to your lines, etc.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

jng2058 posted:

In that they're both asymmetric games based on a popular franchise, where-in one side has a huge military advantage and the other almost certainly has to win through completing a goal only tangentially connected to combat? Yeah, I can see the comparison.

On the other hand the mechanics are very different, particularly in that the Empire also has to play the "find the rebel base" mini-game before it can really use its vast military might where-as Sauron always knows where Minas Tirith is. For that matter, the Free Peoples are almost entirely on the defensive militarily while hoping the Fellowship makes it to the volcano, where-as the Rebels actually need to launch a few hit-and-fade attacks to pick up some reputation and hasten the Empire's demise.

Nevertheless, I can see the comparison...from a certain point of view, but that POV may not be the most useful one when trying to decide if you want to buy Rebellion. Or War of the Ring, for that matter.

Sorry, what I meant was that people are comparing them in terms of quality. Star Wars Rebellion is very much a Corey Konieczka game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

Sorry, what I meant was that people are comparing them in terms of quality. Star Wars Rebellion is very much a Corey Konieczka game.

So a good game?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kiranamos posted:

This might explain what I always disliked about it. It's decent, and I have it in my collection, but I really wish it was just Twilight Struggle but with star wars.

Battlestar Galactica is :lol:
I wish there was a better BSG game. The idea is great but :lol: at having easy literal player elimination in a political/deduction game

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

This might explain what I always disliked about it. It's decent, and I have it in my collection, but I really wish it was just Twilight Struggle but with star wars.

Battlestar Galactica is :lol:
I wish there was a better BSG game. The idea is great but :lol: at having easy literal player elimination in a political/deduction game
BSG doesn't have player elimination. It has character elimination, but that's different.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh sorry I did slip up and say the memetic literally. One of my friends who really loves BSG said his group once trolled their other friend into not playing the game for an hour because they kept them in the Brig. :psyduck: I don’t see the joy in that. Masterfully creating a soft lock for your opponents, say with creating the wrong demand like in FCM, is great but not with easily done poo poo like that

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Star Wars: Rebellion is currently $56 on Gamestop(?) and I've been interested in it at $99 but I should not be buying myself things right now. :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Star Wars: Rebellion is currently $56 on Gamestop(?) and I've been interested in it at $99 but I should not be buying myself things right now. :ohdear:

Sheev: Dew it

I did the same when Lisboa hit $50 at CSI. Would be nicer at $40 but I don’t think it’ll hit that, and if it did it’ll be too easy to sell out.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I very much like Star Wars Rebellion, but the combat can be dumb and fiddly with two big armies. The expansion fixes this I guess, but I haven't tried it myself yet. Still, it's a great star wars board game. Don't believe the boxes lie, two players only.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

So a good game?

Rolling dice for every event resolution including a single 3 dice roll that wins/loses the game for one side is not a good game. The rules are extremely fiddly as you would expect, and having to count every single planet to build on for both sides every round is really tedious, and increasingly slows the game waiting for the Empire to build 30 units. The different unit types are more an inconvenience than anything counting up all the different dice. You could go on and on but War of the Ring solved nearly all of these problems already.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Lorini posted:

Either of the Codex expansions worth getting? Sirlingames.com is having a half price sale with the promo code crazy50.

A real shame the base Puzzle Strike is out of stock. At least Shadows is standalone. Thanks for posting about this, I would have missed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got like 50 of these for my gloomhaven monsters:

And I bound them into five little booklets with metal clips.

:spergin:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So the store I pre-ordered Gloomhaven in just got in their copies, so I am now waiting with bated breath while it gets delivered to me. Can't wait to pull out my back picking the thing up.

Edit: It was an error in their system :(

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 23, 2017

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Friend picked up Gloomhaven, so four of us cracked it yesterday and went for the first scenario. Learning poo poo and all that, with the owner having read the rules beforehand and done a bit of a dry run and others with faint idea what's going on we managed to put four and half hours in losing the scenario in the last room (normal). Got surprisingly close to beating it anyway.

Definitely felt like there is not just empty hype there, I digged the general game flow and options and once there's more familiary with the cards of the character and game mechanics in general I think this shouldn't take nearly us much time. Did kinda get the feel I missed where the power is on my character (the rat mindfella who I appropriately named Wistar) compared to the others like the magewhatever and barbarianthing who felt were routinely blasting three opponents at the time. Looted the most gold though in the loss, so that is a win in my book.

The most clumsy thing I felt was the corner-to-corner LOS mechanic, but that might be just me being accustomed to C&C style center-to-center style LOS resolution.

Also one clarification: say you have a area attack that hits three hexes in a pattern: did I understand correctly that you need to have range only to one of the hexes, but to make attacks on all of the you need to have LOS to all of them?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Is Ghost Stories still a good hard co-op, or is it showing its age?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just a reminder we have a dedicated Gloomhaven thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Lunsku posted:

Also one clarification: say you have a area attack that hits three hexes in a pattern: did I understand correctly that you need to have range only to one of the hexes, but to make attacks on all of the you need to have LOS to all of them?

Yes, exactly so. You interpret each hex of an AoE as a separate attack, so each of those attacks needs to be targetted properly. The set of all the attacks you make inside an AoE constitute an attack action, which can be an important distinction when receiving bonuses from various abilities.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Just a reminder that the Gloomhaven FAQ on boardgamegeek is really, really well organized and kept up to date by Isaac, the designer. :yayclod:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No Thanks was a huge hit with the family, and I think it's really enjoyable to play a few games in a row, if anyone was looking for a new, light, ~20 minute game for a wide audience that also travels easily.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

No Thanks was a huge hit with the family, and I think it's really enjoyable to play a few games in a row, if anyone was looking for a new, light, ~20 minute game for a wide audience that also travels easily.
My friend bought that game and we played it like 3 times without him realizing he had entirely ignored the whole "numbers in a sequence = 0" scoring rule. :doh:
Someone else saw us playing it and was like "Lol what are you doing?"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

One of my friends who really loves BSG said his group once trolled their other friend into not playing the game for an hour because they kept them in the Brig.

If he was a Cylon he should have revealed and accepted the loss of his reveal ability. If he wasn't a Cylon he can still help from the brig with Executive Orders and the like.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh sorry I did slip up and say the memetic literally. One of my friends who really loves BSG said his group once trolled their other friend into not playing the game for an hour because they kept them in the Brig. :psyduck: I don’t see the joy in that. Masterfully creating a soft lock for your opponents, say with creating the wrong demand like in FCM, is great but not with easily done poo poo like that
Do you really think FCM would be any more fun if every other player in the game was dedicated to preventing you from doing anything? It's a huge stretch to say that BSG has 'player elimination' because a game group decided to gently caress with one person at the expensive of actually playing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I think one BSG expansion actually does let you airlock people, but I have no idea how it works.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

AceRimmer posted:

I think one BSG expansion actually does let you airlock people, but I have no idea how it works.

They reveal if they were a Cylon, humans take a morale hit if they killed their own, they get a new character and a new loyalty card (the loyalty deck changes slightly so there is a floating extra card, although different expansions might have changed that further.)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

AceRimmer posted:

That's the character elimination thing Tekopo mentioned, from Pegasus. Short version, if you are executed, through a successful Airlock check or any other way:

You lose your hand of skill cards (so you usually can't meaningfully contribute to the game until your next turn when you draw more)
Your alignment is revealed
If you were human, team human loses a Morale (1/10th of the way to losing the game), you pick a new character to play as, and you're still human [1]
If you were a Cylon, you're forcibly revealed (sent to the resurrection ship and generally don't get to do sneaky sabotage things anymore [2]), you don't get to use your reveal ability, and you don't get to draw a super crisis

So, it's not player elimination, but it's extremely disruptive and forced (or 'forced', in some cases) the existence of more complicated rules in later expansions to make Airlocking people not completely OP. It feels like a necessary concept (because team human can need a way to force certain particularly troublesome Cylons to go home) but the implementation is definitely not perfect.

---
[1]

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

(the loyalty deck changes slightly so there is a floating extra card, although different expansions might have changed that further.)
That's an Exodus rule and you should never follow it, because it creates the possibility of one of the Cylon cards never coming up. It exists in large part to prevent things like executing the admiral (and having them come back as still a high-level military leader so they're still admiral) to have a 100% guaranteed human admiral, but the cure is worse than the disease.

[2] Cylon leaders can re-infiltrate, I suppose, but if team human is that sure they don't want you around, in most situations going back to the human fleet (not the location) is probably a waste of your time.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I received The Voyages of Marco Polo from my BGG Secret Santa this week. Hoping to learn it tomorrow. How does it play with 2?

EBag
May 18, 2006

It works fine but there isn't much interaction, it's better with more if you prefer a little more competition.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Don't forgot the other awful Exodus rule, which actually does eliminate a player (the Ionian Nebula)

There's a reason my secondary catchphrase was "Burn Exodus."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lunsku posted:

Definitely felt like there is not just empty hype there, I digged the general game flow and options and once there's more familiary with the cards of the character and game mechanics in general I think this shouldn't take nearly us much time. Did kinda get the feel I missed where the power is on my character (the rat mindfella who I appropriately named Wistar) compared to the others like the magewhatever and barbarianthing who felt were routinely blasting three opponents at the time. Looted the most gold though in the loss, so that is a win in my book.

Mindthief basically revolves around the card "The Mind's Weakness", which adds +2 to all your melee attacks and make into a tiny one-target murderball. You also have access to lot of stun which is a really great status effect.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Max Peck posted:

That's an Exodus rule and you should never follow it, because it creates the possibility of one of the Cylon cards never coming up. It exists in large part to prevent things like executing the admiral (and having them come back as still a high-level military leader so they're still admiral) to have a 100% guaranteed human admiral, but the cure is worse than the disease.

In my only game ever of BSG so far I was the only Cylon (out of 5), and one of two people at the table who were total newbies. It... wasn't a fun experience.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

Don't forgot the other awful Exodus rule, which actually does eliminate a player (the Ionian Nebula)

There's a reason my secondary catchphrase was "Burn Exodus."

I don’t know which expansions were in play but iirc they tend to want to play with all of them. I played it once or twice way back so I forget the exact mechanics of it but wouldn’t really be up for it nowadays.

misguided rage posted:

Do you really think FCM would be any more fun if every other player in the game was dedicated to preventing you from doing anything? It's a huge stretch to say that BSG has 'player elimination' because a game group decided to gently caress with one person at the expensive of actually playing.

I think so. There’s still levers to pull to try and gently caress the others right back with demand or supply. There’s always pulling out the waitress strategy and just grind out money. Then again I haven’t grounded out games like I’m sure some of you have on BGC so maybe it results in more deadlocks than I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My only game of BSG had all the expansions and nobody at the table who had ever played before. Then, 3 hours in, I became a Cylon Sympathizer.