Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks y'all!

I might need to look into Shadow Tictacs and H I T M A N.

I played Mark of the Ninja and ghosted my first time through, it was super neat. The 1st / 3rd person stealth-em-up genre desperately needs a kick in the pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Anyone have a good suggestion for a space trucking game? I've got an itch for some tepid space trading action.

Games I've played or already looked into
Eve Online
X3 and it's various expansions
Star Sector
Elite
Rebal Galaxy
Freelancer
Starpoint Gemini Warlords

MrTargetPractice fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 22, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Interstellar Transport. Quill18 has a few recent videos on it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MrTargetPractice posted:

Anyone have a good suggestion for a space trucking game? I've got an itch for some tepid space trading action.

Eve Online
Star Sector
Elite
Rebal Galaxy
Freelancer

Space run is a space trucking themed tower defense game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/275670/
Pretty fun and faster paced than most tower defense games

Space Rangers 2 kinda. There's a new game out the reminds me a lot of Space Rangers but I can't remember the name of it.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Thanks y'all!

I might need to look into Shadow Tictacs and H I T M A N.

I played Mark of the Ninja and ghosted my first time through, it was super neat. The 1st / 3rd person stealth-em-up genre desperately needs a kick in the pants.

Have you played The Dark Mod? It's basically a free thief clone in the doom 3 engine.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

MrTargetPractice posted:

I'm looking for a game with a bunch of skills to grind. Having those skills do something useful is a bonus. It can be an MMO or single player, an MMO with a Goon presence is some more bonus points. Most of the MMOs I've looked into are dead or dying so there is that.

Similar games that I've played.
Wurm Online
Eve Online
Project Gorgon
Runescape
Haven & Heart
UnReal World

Catching up on the thread so apologies for digging up an older post.

If you can handle text-based, Dragonrealms has a F2P option and has many many many skills to grind.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Someone recommend me a fun PC RPG that's focused more on mechanics than story. Basically something where you get to chill and grind and think about party builds and generally you just get to see numbers go up. No arpgs, and nothing with retro console graphics/ui.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Obfuscation posted:

Someone recommend me a fun PC RPG that's focused more on mechanics than story. Basically something where you get to chill and grind and think about party builds and generally you just get to see numbers go up. No arpgs, and nothing with retro console graphics/ui.

Divinity Original Sin 2 has deep turn-based party combat but the story and characters are also pretty good too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Obfuscation posted:

Disgaea

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Obfuscation posted:

Halcyon 6

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrTargetPractice posted:

Eve Online
Star Sector
Elite
Rebal Galaxy
Freelancer

How is Starpoint Gemini Warlords compared to the X series? I like the empire-building aspect of the latter and it seems like very few other space games really emphasize that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Are there any good local multiplayer games that work will with two players on steam

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Are there any good local multiplayer games that work will with two players on steam

Overcooked, Trine, Spelunky.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Obfuscation posted:

Grimrock

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

assuming I want to play these in ascending order of quality, in what order should I play:

pillars of eternity complete
wasteland 2: director's cut
divinity: original sin

all for ps4?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

assuming I want to play these in ascending order of quality, in what order should I play:

all for ps4?

This is pretty strongly going to be a matter of opinion.

Personally, here is mine, from lowest to highest:

Divinity (single player)
Wasteland 2
Pillars
Divinity (co op)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

LLSix posted:

Overcooked is great.

Don't starve together.

Gauntlet and all its various clones is reasonably fun and simple.

Portal, Portal 2, and Trine are all puzzle games that are fun to play together.

Most ARPGs are multiplayer. Speaking of which, there's a Final Fantasy MMO.

Divinity: Original Sin is a turn-based RPG designed to be played with 2 people.

I have had moderate success with Civilizations VI

This site has a list of tons of local multiplayer co-op games: http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php?type=couch

ketchup vs catsup posted:

all for ps4?

Wasteland -least
Divinity
Pillars - Best

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How is Starpoint Gemini Warlords compared to the X series? I like the empire-building aspect of the latter and it seems like very few other space games really emphasize that.

They are fairly different but not too far off. It's not bad or anything I just didn't get too far into it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Divinity 2 is hands down one of the best RPGs I’ve played since FO:NV. I tried and really wanted to enjoy pillars of eternity, but I got to the end of the first act and got kinda bored. Just for anyone that was asking about RPGs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Firos posted:

Divinity 2 is hands down one of the best RPGs I’ve played since FO:NV. I tried and really wanted to enjoy pillars of eternity, but I got to the end of the first act and got kinda bored. Just for anyone that was asking about RPGs.

I've already played both a bit but out of curiosity did you mean Divinity 2 or Divinity OS 2? They are both good games imo but as I mentioned earlier(in the steam thread apparently) I wound up getting a bit overwhelmed in OS 2. Will eventually go back to it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Yeah OS2. I've not played any of the other Divinity games and I don't really feel like I've suffered for it. The gameplay is mechanically tight as hell, once you get to about level 4. Prior to that it's a little bit of a clusterfuck due to a lack of skills and getting used to the armour system.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone given Yonder a try? http://store.steampowered.com/app/580200/Yonder_The_Cloud_Catcher_Chronicles/?snr=1_5_9__300

Steam is recommending it to me as similar to Stardew Valley. I'm pretty tempted since I've already put hundreds of hours into Stardew Valley and all the HM games.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

any good management/sim games on sale on steam now?

is dungeons 3 good?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Firos posted:

Yeah OS2. I've not played any of the other Divinity games and I don't really feel like I've suffered for it. The gameplay is mechanically tight as hell, once you get to about level 4. Prior to that it's a little bit of a clusterfuck due to a lack of skills and getting used to the armour system.

Divinity 2 is a really good rpg about reading people's minds and turning into a dragon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Brainamp posted:

Divinity 2 is a really good rpg about reading people's minds and turning into a dragon.

Do you mean Divinity 2 or Original Sin 2?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Looking for a couple things:
1.) Beat em up kinda button smashing game like the old NES Double Dragon. I hear the ones on steam are garbage?

2.) Fly around and shoot poo poo, like the old school Raptor game.

4.) Something fun and amusing that I dont have to devote hours to and I can just sit down and play for 20-30 min at a time and have fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Do you mean Divinity 2 or Original Sin 2?

Divinity 2 is the one where you read minds and turn into a dragon so that one

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Whale Cancer posted:

4.) Something fun and amusing that I dont have to devote hours to and I can just sit down and play for 20-30 min at a time and have fun.

Dead Cells!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Whale Cancer posted:

1.) Beat em up kinda button smashing game like the old NES Double Dragon. I hear the ones on steam are garbage?

Mother Russia Bleeds

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Whale Cancer posted:

Jets 'n' Guns Gold

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Whale Cancer posted:

Beat-em-ups are sadly a mostly dead genre. There has not been a professionally-developed arcade game of this sort in quite a long time. Steam does have a couple of the best of these - Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara. It's a pack containing both of Capcom's arcade D&D beat-em-ups. A combination of the weird-rear end CPS2 hardware resolution scaled to 4:3 and a lack of good filters was a dealbreaker for me, but I think it would be fine for pretty much everyone else.

I saw a stream of Fight N Rage, that one looked pretty neat. Same with Double Dragon IV, but that one seems to have mixed reviews. There's also Double Dragon Neon and River City Ransom Underground which appear to be more favorable.

If you have a PS4, take a look at the ACA Neo Geo titles, there are a few of those available - Burning Fight, Mutation Nation, Robo Army, Sengoku series. Some of these might be on Steam too, just make sure to look at the developer and never ever buy anything from "Dot Emu".

quote:

These are referred to as shoot-em-ups or "shmups" and only a partially dead genre. Occasionally old guard devs will put out a game nowadays (Raiden V), and CAVE's last arcade game was only 5 years ago. CAVE's games are top-notch and the Steam/X360 ports have novice modes if you're not used to modern shmups. I highly recommend Mushihimesama. Crimzon Clover is also good. For an older memorizer-style game, there are a few indie titles such as Satazius, Wolflame, and Battle Crust. Raptor itself is also on steam now but I'm not familiar with it so I can't comment.

On PS4 porting gods M2 have put out a few select arcade shmups recently - Battle Garegga, Dangun Feveron, and Mahou Daisakusen. All of these are fantastic.

quote:

This is arcade gaming in a nutshell. Both of the above genres that you asked for have their origins in the arcade. It will take a while to set up, but maybe look into MAME and explore its vast library.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

LLSix posted:

Anyone given Yonder a try? http://store.steampowered.com/app/580200/Yonder_The_Cloud_Catcher_Chronicles/?snr=1_5_9__300

Steam is recommending it to me as similar to Stardew Valley. I'm pretty tempted since I've already put hundreds of hours into Stardew Valley and all the HM games.

Yonder is a very simple exploration game, with some light farming. It was perfect for my mom, who loves Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. It's more AC than HM, but if animals asked you to do much larger quests.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Whale Cancer posted:

Double Dragon Neon is the best game in the series and is on Steam. You heard wrong.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any games like King's Bounty but with randomly generated maps?

I've been trying to find single-faction 4x style RPGs for a long time and King's Bounty and Thea: The Awakening are still the only two I've found. They're both good, but I wish King's Bounty had random (shorter) maps because the campaign's only fun to play through once :shrug:

Sometimes I play Age of Wonders 3 with only a single minimum difficulty AI so I can roam around the map with my heroes clearing dungeons, leveling up, and collecting treasure, but that never really goes anywhere since the ultimate goal is always just to kill that AI.

Edit: Actually there's Heroes of a Broken World too, which is also a great game, but the combat is first person dungeon crawling and I'm looking for something more like a tactical strategy RPG. Battle Brothers is also similar but I want something with a static world so I can take my time and I'd like something that leans a little heavier on the 4x scale.

Edit 2: Okay there's also sort of Warlock 2 which does a lot of what I want with opposing factions being throwaways as you progress through the different realms and dimensions in the campaign. I guess I'm answering my own question here but I still want to hear about any I haven't played!

Have you looked at the Eador series? It's on sale on steam right now. Masters of a Broken World (I think you might be conflating this and Heroes of a Broken Land?) is pretty long and grindy, I'm not sure if Imperium tones that down or not.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

What are some good short single player games for PC? I know it's a bit vague, by I generally only have 1-2 hours to play every day or two.

No specific genre really, but here's a few I've played this year that I've really enjoyed:

- DOOM
- Hellblade
- Talos Principle (not quite as short but great in small bursts)
- The Witness
- Firewatch
- The Beginner's Guide
- Prey
- Resident Evil 7 (only an hour in but loving it so far)

Gave Wolfenstein TNO and Metro 2033 a shot a few months ago but they didn't really grab me.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 25, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you played Night in the Woods?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
INSIDE?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Toast King posted:

What are some good short single player games for PC? I know it's a bit vague, by I generally only have 1-2 hours to play every day or two.

Let's wander into my "Finished" category:

Orwell only took me 5 hours to beat and had a decent story. I've got my eye out for the expansion now.
Year Walk took 111 minutes and I loved every bizarre minute of it.
Anna only took me 3 hours to beat, and was "okay" but a little cheap.
Banner Saga was 6 hours and I enjoyed it.
All the Blackwell games are like 2-3 hours but that's with lazy walkthroughs so I never got stuck on adventure game logic puzzles :v:
Portal and Portal II, obviously.
Remember Me took about 6 hours but that's with a CheatEngine cheat to make the combat bearable. I really liked the story though.

There are probably others that I forgot to tag as "Finished"...

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've been holding out on Night In The Woods for Switch actually, that's the only thing that's stopped me so far. Played Limbo/INSIDE last year too and they were both great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm hosting a gaming night tonight and my motherboard died last night. I've got an old laptop to plug into the TV. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 N630 with 4GB DDR3 and a Radeon HD6470M. In real terms the original XCOM (Enemy Unknown) is just about playable on it.

Any poo poo-hot multiplayer games for 4 people to play? I have Crawl and am looking at Worms WMD.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 25, 2017