Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fall Dog posted:

How difficult is it to customise assets/ploppables?

I've got a bajillion mods and custom assets and whatever but some of them have weird attributes, like harbour walls that double as parks, cranes the double as parks and other things that generate/require electricity for some reason. I have a drydock that needs workers, but I just want it for the visuals, etc.

I'd really like to be able to tweak their stats while keeping the visual component, but my last attempt at changing a ploppable somehow made all of my electricity producers provide water instead or something.

I think you're not supposed to be placing them as parks. Before prop-plopping became defacto standard way of decorating people would make assets designed for decoration as parks with no stats, simply as a way to get them to show up in the menu. Some still do this, but the intended function is to plop the prop itself and avoid all needs for roads/power and so on. A lot of rico buildings will also randomly show up as parks or monuments. It's the problem with a game where a majority of a the content is mods that allow you to use other mods that allow you to use other assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

So I looked at a bunch of the OP resources and they seemed comically out of date for the most part so I'm just going to ask here.

I've been really struggling with traffic, got the mods to mess with traffic lights and figured out a few basics but once I reach like 20k-30k everything just clogs to hell and I just can't figure out how to fix it. Is there anything decent and current on how to get traffic off the highway and into the city?

Do you have transit? 25k+ population is usually when I start putting down bus lines. Set up like 2-4 lines along major roads and you should see it help a lot.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think you're not supposed to be placing them as parks. Before prop-plopping became defacto standard way of decorating people would make assets designed for decoration as parks with no stats, simply as a way to get them to show up in the menu. Some still do this, but the intended function is to plop the prop itself and avoid all needs for roads/power and so on. A lot of rico buildings will also randomly show up as parks or monuments. It's the problem with a game where a majority of a the content is mods that allow you to use other mods that allow you to use other assets.

That's my point. I don't want the assets/ploppables/whatever to have park-like properties. Most of my installed mods have them but I want to be able to modify them so they're just offering visual aesthetics and not jobs/providing electricity/whatever.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You'll have to just place the props manually I think, would be easier than modifying a bunch of assets.

iirc you'll want More Beautification, Prop & Tree Anarchy, and probably the Prop Line Tool too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fall Dog posted:

That's my point. I don't want the assets/ploppables/whatever to have park-like properties. Most of my installed mods have them but I want to be able to modify them so they're just offering visual aesthetics and not jobs/providing electricity/whatever.

A large number of the park assets that aren't intended to be parks don't actually do anything.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Some pics of my current city:

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
I've been messing around with a sci-fi, cyberpunk sorta city. Still got a lot more to do with detailing a prop placing to play around with but it's a start.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

When I see screenshots like that it makes me want a GTA-like game using the Cities Skylines engine. The graphical fidelity on the street isn't that far off from GTA 3, in many ways it's a lot better.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they've not made 'drive/helicopter around your city' DLC yet. Beep beep, here comes the big Mayoral Limo with flags on, get the gently caress out of the way plebes :argh:

...or frames/filters/whatever for making pretty screenshots with. You could even share those on the Workshop too.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

A large number of the park assets that aren't intended to be parks don't actually do anything.

Doesn't really answer my initial question though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fall Dog posted:

Doesn't really answer my initial question though.

When I say that they don't really do anything, I mean that they have no tourism attraction, require no electricity, etc. You can edit these things in the building editor, but most assets are already going to basically be blank.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

spincube posted:

I can't believe they've not made 'drive/helicopter around your city' DLC yet. Beep beep, here comes the big Mayoral Limo with flags on, get the gently caress out of the way plebes :argh:

...or frames/filters/whatever for making pretty screenshots with. You could even share those on the Workshop too.

It's funny to think that Simcity 2000 on Playstation had a 3D drive around your city mode. This was also around the time SimCopter came out on PC. 20 years later and these features feel like pure fantasy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Streets of CiSkylines, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vk6hANjLeU

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 26, 2017

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Two quick questions for thegurus of skylines...

1. Is there any way to pull up bus line details for a bus line you are looking at, without having to click on one of the passing busses? I have one bus line that is vehicleless, and in my lack of foresight none of my bus lines are colour coded or renamed differently... So I am staring at my bus line info panel of 50+ bus lines, trying to figure out which line it is that I am staring right at without having to deselect them one at a time. It would be nice if I could mouse over a line or a stop and right click to pull up that line's info panel...

2. Are there any mods that change a bit how the large hadron collider works? I miss having to place down high schools, regular schools, etc... to diversify my neighborhoods, and yet I do like having one in my city. Aside from the weird appartitions of 20 kids dressed in orange that will walk across the map every now and again, I don't see many children or teens anymore now that there's an lhc in the city...

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is anyone aware of a prop or method to get train tracks to terminate without bumpers at the end? I'd like to put in some disused/abandoned tracks that kinda trail off into the grass/dirt/whatever.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm quite proud of this interchange I made:

It's large enough to direct huge volumes of traffic through either west, east, or northern arteries. The tunnel at the 'tail' of the P heads underneath the bus exchange towards my city's stadium, as a sort of dedicated spur.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
At first blush I thought that tunnel entrance was a "you goofed, refresh your gps and try again" parking lot and loved it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It looks like a dong, but as long as it's effective.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still jealous of everyone's interesting looking cities. My most interesting city was the one powered by poo poo and it wasn't that great.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I keep building boring grids. Every time I start out with the intention of doing something nice and round, it always ends up in a bunch of rectangles.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

I keep building boring grids. Every time I start out with the intention of doing something nice and round, it always ends up in a bunch of rectangles.

fire up google earth, point it at anywhere in europe, use that as inspiration.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

John F Bennett posted:

Avoiding too much of a grid is easier if you intentionally constrain the space you have to work in. The easiest way to do this is to pick a map with a lot of features that will force you to do something other than a grid, but even on a relatively flat area you can do this by designing the "bones" of your city and then making your grid fit within them. For example, my current work in progress:

The grid gives way to the railroad, as does the highway, since the railroad would have been there first. The grid is also constrained by the irrigation pipe, which maybe is placed where a creek used to run or something. The big power lines also break up the grid. So even though the inhabited parts of the city are all grid, it's still got some shape to it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bold Robot posted:

Avoiding too much of a grid is easier if you intentionally constrain the space you have to work in. The easiest way to do this is to pick a map with a lot of features that will force you to do something other than a grid, but even on a relatively flat area you can do this by designing the "bones" of your city and then making your grid fit within them. For example, my current work in progress:

The grid gives way to the railroad, as does the highway, since the railroad would have been there first. The grid is also constrained by the irrigation pipe, which maybe is placed where a creek used to run or something. The big power lines also break up the grid. So even though the inhabited parts of the city are all grid, it's still got some shape to it.

This is real good work btw I want to let you know you've done a fine job of mixing a grid with things that break it up in a totally believable way. :discourse:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah easiest way I've found to not supergrid everything is to play a map with a peninsula, and to put a canal through the city as well as a main highway. You end up wanting to follow the coast, the highway, and the canal.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
For me the secret to dodging grids was realizing that this game wasn't SimCity. You have more space than you can really use. You don't need to optimize space so just do dumb poo poo.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 1, 2017

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
My favorite city was this one because it was on such a mountainous map that I had to try and make it fit in the valleys and on the hilly but still buildable area. On this one, I had made an old town surrounded by medieval walls and added an historic beach where invaders came during the war, and all of that made it so that I had to do the best I could with what I had. Given plains, my instinct is to try and fit as much as I can in the space, and there is so much space.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Download a slope limit mod, set the roads to use realistic values, and then realize that making a grid on any map that has any slight variation in elevation is really difficult.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Opals25 posted:

I've been messing around with a sci-fi, cyberpunk sorta city. Still got a lot more to do with detailing a prop placing to play around with but it's a start.

You should call it Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

sincx posted:

Haha, that's perfect! I haven't read Snow Crash in so long.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Something wrong with my graphics settings???

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

Could it just be an asset with a lovely LOD?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Looks like a fuckin grenfell tower plopable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure the side of the building is painted grey and the glass tower opposite it is reflecting sunlight all over it.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

Looks like a fuckin grenfell tower plopable

:supaburn::tif::supaburn:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty sure the side of the building is painted grey and the glass tower opposite it is reflecting sunlight all over it.

Correct!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just love how it 100% looks like a video game LOD texture problem.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

sincx posted:

Release the Rat Things!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Suspect Bucket posted:

Release the Rat Things!
Oh, that's in the Disasters DLC, isn't it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Bleghh the test roads I made are full of artifacts and I don't know what's going on. Luckily there's Ronyx on Simtropolis already making better versions of these 4m/8m wide highways:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Honestly, the only thing that gives that away as a Cities screenshot is the identical football fields. I'd imagine many people would mistake that for a Google Earth screenshot, even considering that detail