Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a broader scale I can't help but wonder if tiny leadership caste>small aristocracy>huge mass of poors is the natural order of things for the human species and equality is a counter-productive notion which will lead to our demise. Maybe there's a reason it's never really been successfully done before that has no relation to technology or enlightenment?

Like how in wolves only one pair in the pack get to mate and the rest are there to prop them up, or any number of similar analogies in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

There are plenty of species where some of the females will run interference on the alpha so the other males get to gently caress though.

I'm not sure what that does to your metaphor but it's not uncommon.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Slavvy posted:

On a broader scale I can't help but wonder if tiny leadership caste>small aristocracy>huge mass of poors is the natural order of things for the human species and equality is a counter-productive notion which will lead to our demise. .

If this is true, then we deserve to die out IMO

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

If this is true, then we deserve to die out IMO

Do we though?

A lion eating a competitor's cubs is morally monstrous by human standards but we just shrug and say nature is taking it's course. Ditto those wasps that lay their eggs inside a living caterpillar, or cuckoo egg habits etc etc etc, we don't judge any particular species as deserving death because their genes express in a distasteful way.

If you were an alien scientist observing earth from afar you could safely assume 1% hoarding all resources and the rest living in abject desolation is a natural aspect of human hive structure and the only reason we go mental about it is because we have this cumbersome higher reasoning function that was originally meant for sex but started to have it's own ideas.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

Like how in wolves only one pair in the pack get to mate and the rest are there to prop them up, or any number of similar analogies in nature.
Wolves tend to have one mating pair in a pack because their pack structure is familial.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

I've been like this for my whole adult life and I've got nothing to do with medicine, people are actually just pieces of poo poo for real and it's just a matter of tricking your brain otherwise. Like a neurological boy who cried wolf!

I said "Or any toxic environment". Anyway, my overall faith in humanity remains strong, it's "gently caress these people for poisoning you for no drat reason what in the gently caress is wrong with you?!" especially when you enjoyed what you did and it was 100% for everyone's benefit.

SuperiorColliculus posted:

People are loving terrible, and we should still do everything we can to help those in need.

This is the same hot take as "we should use prisons to rehabilitate people, instead of as purely punitive"

Like, caring about your fellow human (as useless and horrible as they may or may not be) is at least 45% for you, not them.

Unironically in my eyes the person with means who refuses to help those in need is a much worse person that the one who uses their state-supplied benefits to get drunk and/or high.

I guess what I'm saying is: eat the rich?

I am still going to help others it just I am not going to help that specific set of people anymore. The collateral damage is going to be the good people I won't help anymore. It's me or them and I am choosing me. I will continue to help, just not there, I will find something else to care about, to give my time freely to so others can benefit. I will be doing one last good thing for the people I care about there because I can't help myself and I feel it is that important.

The people that have hurt me over the past year aren't ill, homeless, poor, criminal or are of low social standing, they turned out to be utter dicks bashing you for doing something positive. If anything they are fairly well off people who I know are cheating the gently caress out of their spouses. I am not sure what I am going to do with that hand grenade.

Eat the rich.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What in the actual gently caress.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

You're an optimist if you think people will be encouraged to grow vegetable gardens at their state home over people being evicted after the neighbours reported them to council due to believing that the house looking like it was owned by a poor was affecting their property values.

I know very little about real estate, but doesn't literally everything and nothing affect property values?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I haven't really been following this story in depth but I'm seriously in a state of WTF about this outcome.

Such an incredible abuse of police power it's madness that they're not going to be punished for it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Didn’t you read the article? They are embarrassed and feel they are the true victims in this.

I guess today is NWA day again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lobsterpillar posted:

I know very little about real estate, but doesn't literally everything and nothing affect property values?
Yes. It's what happened in the States though when a movement of home growing started up a few years ago. Government doesn't care if it's true, it only cares that constituents don't like it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Do we though?

A lion eating a competitor's cubs is morally monstrous by human standards but we just shrug and say nature is taking it's course. Ditto those wasps that lay their eggs inside a living caterpillar, or cuckoo egg habits etc etc etc, we don't judge any particular species as deserving death because their genes express in a distasteful way.

If you were an alien scientist observing earth from afar you could safely assume 1% hoarding all resources and the rest living in abject desolation is a natural aspect of human hive structure and the only reason we go mental about it is because we have this cumbersome higher reasoning function that was originally meant for sex but started to have it's own ideas.

You follow that logic far enough and it seems like the natural state of affairs is for a superpredator species to evolve to the state of having a society, purge the planet of possible rival species and eventually all other major species, then wipe itself out before it manages to get off-world.

I would prefer that we reject the natural state of affairs, since the natural state of any given human is 'dead from, just like, so, so many things, man.'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Didn’t you read the article? They are embarrassed and feel they are the true victims in this.

I guess today is NWA day again.

They just cared too much.

Somfin posted:

You follow that logic far enough and it seems like the natural state of affairs is for a superpredator species to evolve to the state of having a society, purge the planet of possible rival species and eventually all other major species, then wipe itself out before it manages to get off-world.

I would prefer that we reject the natural state of affairs, since the natural state of any given human is 'dead from, just like, so, so many things, man.'

What if it's exactly that except a small number of fabulously wealthy robot owners make it off the planet to spread the human genome across space? And by trying to promote equality we're just ensuring total annihilation instead.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I don't know that that it's cause for alarm, but there's a good deal more incidents where teachers restrain students than I would have thought, up to 10 a day:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/344589/teachers-restraining-children-130-times-a-month

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I got out of that was

quote:

It said more than half the cases involved children with recognised behaviour problems.

Which to me seems like a problem caused by huge class sizes, inadequate support for such kids and the over-arching massive poverty/mental health issues that create so many 'behaviour problems' in the first place. Kids can be sociopathic violent little fucks who occasionally try to murder eachother on a whim but unless they're using an extremely loose definition of behaviour problems it seems like something is out of whack there.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
What are peoples thoughts on this?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11947484

"Competing as Gavin Hubbard, before her gender transition, she was a junior 105 kg+ New Zealand record holder with snatch 135 kg, clean&jerk 170 kg, total 300 kg,[2] until her record was surpassed by David Liti.[citation needed]

She then became Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand's Executive Officer.[citation needed] Subsequently she transitioned to female, becoming Laurel Hubbard."

So she was an incredibly strong man, now competing as a woman (because her testosterone has been under a certain level for 12 months) who is absolutely dominating.

This is not a Caster Semenya situation as Laurel is not asexual.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/21/laurel-hubbard-transgender-athlete-crushes-female-/

I feel for Lauren who wishes to compete as a woman in her chosen sport.

But I think I feel more for her CIS gender competitors who basically cannot beat her, will never be able to beat her, and have had their entire lives crushed simply due to the fact that a very strong man changed her paper gender and is now the strongest woman in the commonwealth.

“We all deserve to be on an even playing field,” competitor Deborah Acason told Australia’s 1 News Now on Sunday. “It’s difficult when you believe that you’re not. If it’s not even, why are we doing the sport?”

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sex divisions in sports are archaic and increasingly irrelevant as the amount of recognised diversity in the human body has exploded in modern times, but mostly Laurel is just being a real dick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sex divisions in things involving physical strength/stamina are the only way to have anything resembling a competition, unless we move to a 'two classes one grid' (to use a motorsport analogy) type scenario where everyone competes at the same events and the expectation is that the men will be the front half of the results and the women the rear. I don't have any issue with this, and it would make poo poo a lot easier logistically, but might cause it's own set of problems.

People who think gender division in sports is somehow unfair or discriminatory to women aren't familiar enough with the massive gulf in performance between male and female athletes that no biological female can ever hope to bridge.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

What I got out of that was

Which to me seems like a problem caused by huge class sizes, inadequate support for such kids and the over-arching massive poverty/mental health issues that create so many 'behaviour problems' in the first place. Kids can be sociopathic violent little fucks who occasionally try to murder eachother on a whim but unless they're using an extremely loose definition of behaviour problems it seems like something is out of whack there.

There has also been a trend for “mainstreaming” which is eliminating the special ed courses and placing all students in mixed classes. Now you can have students with serious issues and needing intensive care mixed in with the regular class with a regular teacher. They won’t be trained in the needs of the child. Often there should be a teacher aid with the student but resources for that can be hit and miss.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

There has also been a trend for “mainstreaming” which is eliminating the special ed courses and placing all students in mixed classes. Now you can have students with serious issues and needing intensive care mixed in with the regular class with a regular teacher. They won’t be trained in the needs of the child. Often there should be a teacher aid with the student but resources for that can be hit and miss.

That is loving retarded. Thanks JK.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

BloodRed posted:

What are peoples thoughts on this?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11947484

"Competing as Gavin Hubbard, before her gender transition, she was a junior 105 kg+ New Zealand record holder with snatch 135 kg, clean&jerk 170 kg, total 300 kg,[2] until her record was surpassed by David Liti.[citation needed]

She then became Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand's Executive Officer.[citation needed] Subsequently she transitioned to female, becoming Laurel Hubbard."

So she was an incredibly strong man, now competing as a woman (because her testosterone has been under a certain level for 12 months) who is absolutely dominating.

This is not a Caster Semenya situation as Laurel is not asexual.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/21/laurel-hubbard-transgender-athlete-crushes-female-/

I feel for Lauren who wishes to compete as a woman in her chosen sport.

But I think I feel more for her CIS gender competitors who basically cannot beat her, will never be able to beat her, and have had their entire lives crushed simply due to the fact that a very strong man changed her paper gender and is now the strongest woman in the commonwealth.

“We all deserve to be on an even playing field,” competitor Deborah Acason told Australia’s 1 News Now on Sunday. “It’s difficult when you believe that you’re not. If it’s not even, why are we doing the sport?”

You could always ask her about it. She's a goon.

Your understanding of the effects of hormones seems pretty lacking - reducing testosterone has a very real effect on muscle mass. So it's a lot more than "On paper".

Also Caster Semenye is not asexual as far as I know, she's an out lesbian.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 24, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

People who think gender division in sports is somehow unfair or discriminatory to women aren't familiar enough with the massive gulf in performance between male and female athletes that no biological female can ever hope to bridge.
My point was less that they are unfair and discriminatory (is this just a strawman?) and more that the binary male/female split is inadequate and has already been recognised as such in the past. For instance, there are already weight divisions for the purpose of equalising the competition within the sexes to physical build, so it's simply a case of figuring out how to add more divisions to equalise the field further between physical builds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh I see what you're getting at. Yeah some sort of parity system would be good but how do you determine that? Weight is out because men are still more able for a given bodyweight. Not to mention for a huge amount of effort you would still be left with largely male only and female only brackets/events because the gap between the strongest/fastest woman and the bottom of the field in men is still sizeable.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I always thought the most progressive option would be an 'open' class where you could also include users of performance enhancing drugs.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

slinkimalinki posted:

You could always ask her about it. She's a goon.

Your understanding of the effects of hormones seems pretty lacking - reducing testosterone has a very real effect on muscle mass. So it's a lot more than "On paper".

Also Caster Semenye is not asexual as far as I know, she's an out lesbian.

I've read that growing up as a male contributes to other areas of the body becoming more developed than their female counterparts. Can anyone with a better knowledge than just my half-remembered poo poo from years ago can educate me on whether or not this is right?

If it is the case then it really loving sucks for ftm trans athletes. Too much of an advantage to fairly compete with CIS women, yet too much of a disadvantage to hope of winning men's competitions (maybe not allowed to compete in strictly male sports? I have no idea of the rules of these things).

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 24, 2017

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

That is loving retarded. Thanks JK.

Mainstreaming special needs kids isn't a National education policy, National did not shut down special needs schools either. Special education is not being eliminated in place of mainstreaming special needs students, and trying to integrate special needs children into mainstream schools and classrooms, as opposed to sticking them in a ghetto special ed school, is preferable.

The issue is one of funding, not the policies themselves.

e: also Varkk is making it sound like mainstream classes are being mixed with all special needs students in the year group, normally they'll have a separate special ed class, and then a teacher aide will take one special needs child into a mainstream class for a period or two.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 24, 2017

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

Varkk posted:

I had a student with extreme behaviour and social issues in a class and it was just exhausting. There was a teacher aid for him, but only once a week. He was a nice kid but trying to juggle his needs plus the 29 other students was absolutely draining, and I would say one of the major reasons I left teaching. The amount of time I spent in class and out on this student was staggering, especially as I had no particular specific training.

His parents were adamant he remain in mainstream education, but it really wasn’t working as he wasn’t getting the support he needed. I hope things turned out well for him.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Bushmaori posted:

I've read that growing up as a male contributes to other areas of the body becoming more developed than their female counterparts. Can anyone with a better knowledge than just my half-remembered poo poo from years ago can educate me on whether or not this is right?

If it is the case then it really loving sucks for ftm trans athletes. Too much of an advantage to fairly compete with CIS women, yet too much of a disadvantage to hope of winning men's competitions (any maybe not allowed to compete in strictly male sports? I have no idea of the rules of these things).

Bone structure is is the only really big difference AFAIK. Bone and muscle mass etc drop a ton.

I can barely open jars these days because of hrt.

Also if people could refrain from calling her a man that would be good the bare minimum of courtesy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BloodRed posted:

I always thought the most progressive option would be an 'open' class where you could also include users of performance enhancing drugs.

This would honestly make me care about sports a gently caress of a lot more. They could have little spec sheets under their name with a list of everything they're on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, they try to at least cut down on the open use of steroids in sports a lot because you have athletes literally killing themselves with performance enhancers trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't see the problem, there are lots of dangerous sports where you have to balance performance vs possibility of death. Yeah, it'd be carnage for the first few years but eventually pharmaceutical equilibrium would set in and everything would be like before but better stronger faster. See: cycling.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

I don't see the problem, there are lots of dangerous sports where you have to balance performance vs possibility of death. Yeah, it'd be carnage for the first few years but eventually pharmaceutical equilibrium would set in and everything would be like before but better stronger faster. See: cycling.

They typically die of a heart failure in their early 40s, long after they've served their use for athletics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Professional sports is basically a total shitshow when it comes to the heath of athletes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BloodRed posted:

I immediately thought of that Futurama episode that mentioned steroids being made mandatory.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

Haha, no. You would have to remove the upward pressure to increase performance in sports which is competition which is the very basis of sports.

Drug testing kept people alive as you had to stay under the radar so the doses were less lethal. Without the soft cap people will juice just a little bit more and more until they fall over dead walking down the street. Open class would be an exercise in finding what the LD50 of a given drug is.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Loltago

https://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/haere-mai-everything-far-ka-pai

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

The whole business has become surreal. One morning, for example, a couple of Maori snowflakes were banging on about the terrible grief they were suffering from the mispronunciation of their names. Not only were they themselves being insulted by this, but so were their ancestors, the whole tribal boiling of them, right back to the first canoe.

This fuckwit needs a smack in the head what the gently caress.

quote:

Dave Witherow lives in Dunedin.

Oh.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Amazing. How many eyes saw that before it was published on the website? Please tell me it's enshrined in the print version too (I'm assuming ODT has a print version....)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's funny, I had pretty much exactly that conversation with a couple of racists on Facebook earlier in the week. But at least now there have been a bunch of great responses to the column that I can passive aggressively post in the racist thread and feel smug about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lmao someone tell Dāvé that not every New Zealander speaks English.

• Locked thread