Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Whistlers was a great production from No Sleep but it also had the main guy in it for one whole line, and the good lady actress sold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Here's a recommendation I haven't seen in the thread yet -- Radiation World. It's the story of a band of survivors of a nuclear war, stuck in the last known human shelter, The Ritz-Carlton. They've been trapped for so long that their population is dwindling to dangerously low levels. They get a knock on the reinforced bunker door one day and they find a band of visitors with a map and no particular plan...

Radiation world is honestly one of my favorite podcasts -- the first episode is a bit on the horny side for vaguely plot related reasons, but then jumps into a huge sci-fi comedy world that's really well acted. There's two seasons -- each one is a complete story, and they both have some genuinely clever and funny twists that are consistent with the characters and setting.

There's a few points along the way where it reminds me of the BBC adaptation of HHGTTG. It's got a manic energy that's really fun and almost whimsical.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I guess every episode of The Big Loop is unconnected? I'm not through the second episode yet, but I don't mind as long as the stories are all as good as the first.

Has anyone tried Mission To Zyxx? It may have come up when I wasn't paying attention. One of my non-fiction podcasts brought them up but I haven't had time to give them a whirl yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
New Magnus Archives is up for those that are a Patreon

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

New Leaf posted:

So I guess every episode of The Big Loop is unconnected? I'm not through the second episode yet, but I don't mind as long as the stories are all as good as the first.

Has anyone tried Mission To Zyxx? It may have come up when I wasn't paying attention. One of my non-fiction podcasts brought them up but I haven't had time to give them a whirl yet.

It's a nice, semi improvised space comedy. It's more polished, more plot driven, and less fourth wall breaking than Hello from the Magic Tavern if you're familiar. They also go pretty light on the sci fi references, if that's not your thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone still keeping up with Mabel? I can't find a translation for the morse code in the most recent episode and don't want to ask my friends who know morse code to listen to a random episode.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Anyone still keeping up with Mabel? I can't find a translation for the morse code in the most recent episode and don't want to ask my friends who know morse code to listen to a random episode.

Yeah, I am. No clue about the morse code unfortunately, I was dissapointed their official transcript didn't have it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure the first one is "Did you eat me like a seed?"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
New Magnus is now up for everyone

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

New Magnus is now up for everyone

Speaking of. They got 0 finalists in the audio verse awards. loving robbed when you look at that poo poo that made it in.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Speaking of. They got 0 finalists in the audio verse awards. loving robbed when you look at that poo poo that made it in.

Big Casper got a copy of this episode in advance and won't let this poo poo stand

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Leviathan Chronicles dropped like 10 hours of content today. If you unsubscribed you may want to take a look. They're claiming to be getting ready for a relaunch and it'll go behind a paywall when they do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

Leviathan Chronicles dropped like 10 hours of content today. If you unsubscribed you may want to take a look. They're claiming to be getting ready for a relaunch and it'll go behind a paywall when they do.

Where do you see the paywall thing?

Edit: Found it on their Facebook. I read it as these episodes will go back behind the wall but it didn't say the main series would be paywalled. Honestly though depending on how much it costs I'd buy the second half of the series as long as it ends it and doesn't have a to be continued.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2017

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

Where do you see the paywall thing?

Edit: Found it on their Facebook. I read it as these episodes will go back behind the wall but it didn't say the main series would be paywalled. Honestly though depending on how much it costs I'd buy the second half of the series as long as it ends it and doesn't have a to be continued.

I dunno with how chummy he got with the Byron chronicles guys I have zero faith that it’d ever be tied up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Magnus is already back for season 3 with completely original stories and I feel like they just ended season 2. PNWS takes 6+ months to come back and rehash the same old poo poo over and over again.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Magnus is already back for season 3 with completely original stories and I feel like they just ended season 2. PNWS takes 6+ months to come back and rehash the same old poo poo over and over again.

And they release weekly. And there seasons are 40or so episodes not 12 and they don’t suck.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Jonathan Sims will also give you a handy if you ask nice but all Nick has done for me is call the police

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

And they're pretty loving great episodes too. The first two episodes of S3 are both really creepy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I wonder if the thinly veiled jab at Bombas and Casper in the first Magnus S3 ep was supposed to be a jab at ad driven podcasts in general or a subtle one at PNWS.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

I wonder if the thinly veiled jab at Bombas and Casper in the first Magnus S3 ep was supposed to be a jab at ad driven podcasts in general or a subtle one at PNWS.

I took it to be PNWS personally. But I doubt they'd ever tell.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Magnus used to rely on ads so I doubt it's aimed at everyone else.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I literally see no reason why it would be PNWS as opposed to anyone else.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I literally see no reason why it would be PNWS as opposed to anyone else.

I believe one of the Q&A's mentioned the Black Tapes and also had Jonathan insisting that he had an ending planned out, that the show would not go further than 5 seasons and that he hates when shows drag things along so I'm pretty sure they must be as frustrated by PNWS as much as anyone else.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

smidgeonnn posted:

Magnus used to rely on ads so I doubt it's aimed at everyone else.

True, but they didn't interrupt their episodes to do some hokey in-character ads like PNWS.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

True, but they didn't interrupt their episodes to do some hokey in-character ads like PNWS.

I do like the ones that Rusty Quill gaming does every so often.

What makes the PNWS ones insufferable to me is the hokeyness combined with their dumb as hell kayfabe. "When you're being pursued by an all reaching conspiracy, you need socks."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Arcsech posted:

And they're pretty loving great episodes too. The first two episodes of S3 are both really creepy.

I don't know, I thought "Positions Available" was kind of weak. I get that John has been fired so they need new employees, but breaking the fourth wall is out of character for this show. Plus, the episode was very short and didn't really have time to build the creepy atmosphere.

I did like Mr. Spider; it kind of reminded me of the beginning of The Babadook. Elias taunting the policewoman for ten minutes wasn't as good, in my opinion. I did finally get caught up with this series right before season three started. It's never going to be my favorite podcast (I think something about Jonathan's voice just causes my mind to wander, and so I end up missing key points), but it's solid writing and some of the episodes are really good. I'm a little off-balance right now, as I think I missed some points in the finale. I can't remember how Leitner died, but I guess not-Sasha killed him and John got blamed? So now he's on the run?

Also, if you're not listening to It Makes a Sound, you should. If you listened to the first episode or two and quit, I understand, but those are deliberately bad. There's a bit of unreliable narrator in Deirdre, as her opinions of how great Wim Faros is are not shared by the rest of the world. But all that is building how desperate she is to find meaning in her life. The moment in episode five where her senile mother starts singing the words perfectly is one of the best moments I've ever heard in a podcast.

Trying to decide what to binge next. Does Homecoming ever get good? I listened to the first couple episodes and it was really boring, plus there was this uncomfortable "depressurization" sound effect whenever they change scenes. I heard people praise The Bridge, which appears to be a sort of fictional lore podcast set on an imagined bridge across the Atlantic Ocean. This feels petty, but I got irrationally angry that they called it "The Transcontinental Bridge," because THAT'S NOT WHAT TRANS MEANS*. It should be either "intercontinental" or "transatlantic." It seems like if they're that sloppy with basic grammar, then I can't trust them to get other stuff right.

*This may be the most offended someone's ever been by misuse of the prefix "trans" not relating to gender identity.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I did like Mr. Spider; it kind of reminded me of the beginning of The Babadook. Elias taunting the policewoman for ten minutes wasn't as good, in my opinion. I did finally get caught up with this series right before season three started. It's never going to be my favorite podcast (I think something about Jonathan's voice just causes my mind to wander, and so I end up missing key points), but it's solid writing and some of the episodes are really good. I'm a little off-balance right now, as I think I missed some points in the finale. I can't remember how Leitner died, but I guess not-Sasha killed him and John got blamed? So now he's on the run?

Elias killed him when John left the room.

e: Mr. Spider was great, and is probably one of my favourite episodes. I've always felt a little let down by any episode with the police in it though, including this one. None of them ever seem like they are appropriately, I don't know, menacing?

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 6, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Maybe It Makes a Sound is good, but the first episode was just so terrible there's very little chance I'm going back. If they decided to make it deliberately bad then consider it a ringing endorsement of just how well they were able to make an unenjoyable product.

And after five episodes in a row I thought were really bad, I finally jumped off the WTNV bandwagon, too. Been with it almost since the start but my remaining enthusiasm for it was really dampened the last few months.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Jurgan posted:

Trying to decide what to binge next. Does Homecoming ever get good? I listened to the first couple episodes and it was really boring, plus there was this uncomfortable "depressurization" sound effect whenever they change scenes.

No it doesn't. I got a few episodes into season 2 and it's just garbage. Nothing happens and the narrator is completely unlikable. I gave up when the narrator gets arrested for the "murder" of his ex-girlfriend and all I could think was 'good, gently caress him and I hope he burns in hell too'.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/knguyen/status/938392017440210944

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe It Makes a Sound is good, but the first episode was just so terrible there's very little chance I'm going back. If they decided to make it deliberately bad then consider it a ringing endorsement of just how well they were able to make an unenjoyable product.
:same: I gave it four episodes before I quit. It's just not my thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chairman Capone posted:

And after five episodes in a row I thought were really bad, I finally jumped off the WTNV bandwagon, too. Been with it almost since the start but my remaining enthusiasm for it was really dampened the last few months.

I fell off the bandwagon a while back, but I do still listen to the live shows when they're released/ am going to see them when they next come to my city. My interest in the over arching plotlines has waned, but I do still really enjoy their one-off weirdness.

Alice Isn't Dead is still tops, though.

slumberlandpod
Dec 16, 2017
Hi Jurgan,

This is Tom, creator of the Slumberland podcast. Google search popped up your summary of my show and I wanted to say thanks for including it in your list. Also, thanks for going a bit beyond a content summary and including some of your feedback about the show, that's helpful to hear.

I've thought over your remark on the uneven level of the characters and/or the performances. It's really cool that you have found some episodes' content "interesting."

Also wanted to mention I appreciated seeing your avatar, The Mouse and His Child movie has always been one of my favorites!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

slumberlandpod posted:

Hi Jurgan,

This is Tom, creator of the Slumberland podcast. Google search popped up your summary of my show and I wanted to say thanks for including it in your list. Also, thanks for going a bit beyond a content summary and including some of your feedback about the show, that's helpful to hear.

I've thought over your remark on the uneven level of the characters and/or the performances. It's really cool that you have found some episodes' content "interesting."

Also wanted to mention I appreciated seeing your avatar, The Mouse and His Child movie has always been one of my favorites!

Well, I provided the platform, but I didn't write the summary of that show and I don't remember who did. Truth be told, I haven't listened to it. After your comments, though, I just downloaded the first episode. Hope I like it.

Has anyone listened to "Steal the Stars?" I discovered it a few weeks back and it was pretty good. The basic premise is that some private company with government contracts is keeping watch over alien technology, and the main characters try to steal it. It's a complete 14 episode series from the creator of The Message, so it avoids the problem of stories that refuse to end. The ending was pretty solid, if a bit predictable, but I remember everyone hated the ending of The Message (I never listened to that one), so you don't have to worry there. I might have a few nitpicks, like it not being clear how old the main character is (we know her birthday, but everyone describes her as older than her birthday suggests, unless it's set in the future), and a twist near the end is arguably a bit sexist. The characters aren't great people, but they are very human. I'd give it 4/5.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013
Steal the stars was good until the last 10 minutes. Like 4/5 to wut/5 so fast.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I made it about 5 or 6 episodes into Steal the Stars. I got tired of the love storyline and stopped listening. Should I go back to finish it?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I made it about 5 or 6 episodes into Steal the Stars. I got tired of the love storyline and stopped listening. Should I go back to finish it?

I mean, the love storyline is central all the way through. At the same time, it's kind of a macguffin plot, since it's mainly there to motivate the characters to steal the alien.

Pronounced posted:

Steal the stars was good until the last 10 minutes. Like 4/5 to wut/5 so fast.

Could you explain what you mean in spoiler tags? To me, I thought the ending fit everything up until then very well. It seemed natural (and kind of obvious) that the alien was still alive and would somehow save Dak in the finale. So nothing about it made me say "wut?"

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013

Jurgan posted:

I mean, the love storyline is central all the way through. At the same time, it's kind of a macguffin plot, since it's mainly there to motivate the characters to steal the alien.

Could you explain what you mean in spoiler tags? To me, I thought the ending fit everything up until then very well. It seemed natural (and kind of obvious) that the alien was still alive and would somehow save Dak in the finale. So nothing about it made me say "wut?"

I'll try.
To me the ending came out of left field because up until that point the alien was never really the main focus of the story. The love story was the main driver of the plot with the alien just being a hook to get you interested without ever paying off (or so i thought). I was honestly shocked and a little disappointed that there was actual resolution for the alien story line. I was really hoping they would be ballsy enough to end the podcast without ever having the alien aspect of the story matter to the main characters at all. So much of my enjoyment of the story was wrapped up in the idea that this was a romance/spy thriller/social commentary story masquerading as a sci-fi thriller.

In conclusion, had I somehow just not heard the end of the last episode, I would recommend this podcast to anyone looking for something worth their time. Unfortunately, I did hear the ending and any recommendation I would give would come with a warning that I feel like I wasted my time because of the ending.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Wolf 359 has come to an end. The ending was pretty much perfect, as far as I’m concerned. Can’t wait to see what those guys come up with next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Wolf 359 has come to an end. The ending was pretty much perfect, as far as I’m concerned. Can’t wait to see what those guys come up with next.

Agreed with all this.

That was an amazing end. One of those endings where you just don't feel like it should continue.