Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

StabbinHobo posted:

I don't get why people are so hung up on meat. every time someone digs into the numbers its somewhere between #4 and #10 on the priorities list depending on how you break stuff down.

point being, we can all eat mcdonalds erry fukkin day if we don't own a car and power our vr-masturbatorium with wind & solar

Animal Agriculture contributes more to climate change than the entire transportation sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I had 0.6 lbs of brisket today for lunch and I thought of this thread.

Seriously I'll do everything I can to combat climate change, including not having kids, but you can't make me not eat meat. I'll fight you.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

StabbinHobo posted:

I don't get why people are so hung up on meat. every time someone digs into the numbers its somewhere between #4 and #10 on the priorities list depending on how you break stuff down.

point being, we can all eat mcdonalds erry fukkin day if we don't own a car and power our vr-masturbatorium with wind & solar

Beef is a luxury that has a huge GHG impact yet in practical terms is easy to give up, substituting it for other types of meat that are more environmentally friendly like poultry.

Giving up vehicles can be economically impractical and giving up air conditioning can dramatically reduce your creature comforts, but giving up beef is just a psychological/cultural inconvenience.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Also it's a huge driver of landcover change in the tropics, which has a ton of ecological implications.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGameVet posted:

Animal Agriculture contributes more to climate change than the entire transportation sector.

i don't believe you, and the first page of googling for it doesn't seem to either.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

StabbinHobo posted:

i don't believe you, and the first page of googling for it doesn't seem to either.

This old UN report says it likely overshadows the transportation sector.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a0701e/a0701e00.HTM

And really, it is animal husbandry that is the big problem, which includes diary products etc too. So the world should ideally go mostly vegan and not only vegetarian.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

And really, it is animal husbandry that is the big problem, which includes diary products etc too. So the world should ideally go mostly vegan and not only vegetarian.

If you go strictly by greenhouse gases per calorie, chicken and eggs are more environmentally friendly than many vegetables. And most people would probably find it easier to get rid of their car than to go vegan.

"Eat less red meat" is something of a compromise. If we're going to do behavior modification stuff at all, it's a good starting point because there's not many downsides besides having certain foods less often.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zudgemud posted:

Going against milk products is a direct attack on populations along genetic lines, and completely unacceptable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Going against milk products is a direct attack on populations along genetic lines, and completely unacceptable.

:lol: what??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Lactose tolerance is not universal, and taking away a food option from peoples that have evolved to consume it undermines their fitness against peoples who've evolved other positive traits.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Lactose tolerance is not universal, and taking away a food option from peoples that have evolved to consume it undermines their fitness against peoples who've evolved other positive traits.
:what:

Anyway, eating pork is more environmentally friendly than beef, if you have gotta have read meat. Otherwise, there's chicken.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

man the white nationalism is getting ever more abstract.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
that's why white supremacists started putting milk emojis next to their names a year ago or smth

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If whites can't eat cheese then the inscrutable Oriental may take over the world!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yeah if anything matters to human society in 2017 AD it's whether your ancestors ate cheese in 2017 BC.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What if, instead of everyone going vegan, everyone just ate so much meat that we took the population of chickens/cows/pigs to near extinction levels?

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Increasing the fitness of the people with baconators

bij
Feb 24, 2007

How are u posted:

If whites can't eat cheese then the inscrutable Oriental may take over the world!

The various biomes of the ocean are going to collapse into a tepid acid pool and put a damper on that.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pidan posted:

If you go strictly by greenhouse gases per calorie, chicken and eggs are more environmentally friendly than many vegetables. And most people would probably find it easier to get rid of their car than to go vegan.

"Eat less red meat" is something of a compromise. If we're going to do behavior modification stuff at all, it's a good starting point because there's not many downsides besides having certain foods less often.

That metric is really really dumb though because caloric value is a pretty bad indicator for nutritional value, and neither vegetables nor eggs are mainly eaten for their caloric value (unless you count base crops as vegetables). The better animal food source is likely hydroponic farmed fish or something.

But otherwise I agree, eating no red meat is a decent first step in decreasing greenhouse gas emissions. However, our culturally and financially entrenched food habits need to be drastically changed over time to help tackle climate change.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What if, instead of everyone going vegan, everyone just ate so much meat that we took the population of chickens/cows/pigs to near extinction levels?

We would create demand, raise prices, and make farmers producers more chickens/cows/pigs (especially cows) :capitalism:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arglebargle III posted:

How would you make a scary climate change Halloween costume?

Run around with a bullhorn promising to kill everyone's children

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

enraged_camel posted:

Seriously I'll do everything I can to combat climate change, including not having kids, but you can't make me not eat meat. I'll fight you.

Yeah gently caress the future. Actually, I have a modest climate proposal for you.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

About that...

quote:

As far as I know, scientists agree the basic theory of marine ice cliff instability by Jeremy Bassis and Catherine Walker is sound (it’s a shame Catherine’s joint contribution to that key 2011 paper wasn’t mentioned). Ice is not strong enough to form a sheer cliff taller than about 100 m above the water line. And indeed, we don’t see any ice cliffs taller than this, which gives us indirect evidence their calculations are correct. We also have the recent study led by Matthew Wise of marks left by the keels of ancient icebergs, scraping along the bedrock like heavy ships, which point towards this kind of cliff collapse in the distant past.

But there is little consensus in the scientific community about how this ice cliff instability could behave. That’s because there is a big leap from identifying a potential problem and predicting the real world consequences. Iceberg scrape marks, though important, can’t tell us how soon, how fast, or for how long. Rob DeConto and Dave Pollard have been the first to put their heads above the parapet, but others may come to different conclusions. Ted Scambos mentioned ‘piles of icebergs’ acting as new ice shelves. Could cold freshwater from melted icebergs also slow things down? Could cliffs partially, instead of catastrophically, crumble? Would a model with finer detail predict fewer tall cliffs? Eric describes the collapse rate as conservative compared with Jakobshavn in Greenland, but this compares apples with oranges: the rapid ice losses from that great glacier are mostly due to its unusually fast speed, rather than the rate of retreat of the ice edge.

Just as important is the initial trigger: how sensitive are the ice shelves to global warming? In Rob and Dave’s study, they disintegrated fast and early: predictions by others are less pessimistic. Eric compounds this by describing their highest scenario as ‘business as usual’, but it’s really business-worse-than-usual. Under current policies we’re headed for less warming than this scenario, and if national pledges under the Paris agreement are carried out this would decrease the warming more (though not meeting the two degree target).

Even Rob and Dave had a huge range of predictions for that very high scenario – anything from 30 cm sea level fall to nearly two metres rise – and they originally described their model as ‘speculative’. So it’s not justified to use such strong, certain phrases as ‘the destruction would be unstoppable’.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/head-quarters/2017/nov/23/climate-change-how-soon-will-the-ice-apocalypse-come-antarctica

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

Anyway, eating pork is more environmentally friendly than beef, if you have gotta have read meat. Otherwise, there's chicken.

What about Muslims who like red meat?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Make a choice?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

Maybe from a climate only perspective pork is better but mass-produced pork has lots of environmental issues associated with it, especially because pig poo poo is more hazardous to humans.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe from a climate only perspective pork is better but mass-produced pork has lots of environmental issues associated with it, especially because pig poo poo is more hazardous to humans.

Yeah but the climate perspective is the only one that matters unless you propose pig poo poo is displacing millions of people + the most wasteful form of land use known to man and can't be treated.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

enraged_camel posted:

same thing as non-Muslims who like red meat. Eat less.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pander posted:

same thing as non-Muslims who like red meat. Eat less.

:yeah:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

We're all going to die and it's your fault.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's an odd quirk of American culture that otherwise "conservationist" folks will melt down about reducing/zeroing out their meat consumption.
I don't see that with Europeans or Asians

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Climate change is already great again

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Climate Change is going to end civilization as we know it no matter what. gently caress if I'm going to give up delicious meat in a futile attempt to stop the inevitable.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

shrike82 posted:

It's an odd quirk of American culture that otherwise "conservationist" folks will melt down about reducing/zeroing out their meat consumption.

idk i'm already going against the grain of owning a home + a car, and having kids, I've recycled my whole life and use CFLs and take public transport and air dry my clothes, and also nothing matters and I can't change poo poo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

of course most of that is due to being poor as hell but I would not have kids or a home anyway haha

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zudgemud posted:

that page is dated 2006, doesn't actually say anything (its an outline) and when i tried to read the executive summary pdf (which is really going the extra mile in an internet debate) it was a 404

if this is the best anyone can do then basically we're in agreement: meat is fine as long as we do some modest curtailing of beef and land use change for it

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

shrike82 posted:

Tell Asians that they need to stop consuming all fish products because they are destroying the oceans.

They won't melt down, they'll just laugh at you and continue sending trawlers halfway around the globe to strip the seabed clean.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rime posted:

Tell Asians that they need to stop consuming all fish products because they are destroying the oceans.

They won't melt down, they'll just laugh at you and continue sending trawlers halfway around the globe to strip the seabed clean.

Climate change is doing a lot more to destroy the oceans than Asian fishing fleets.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Goat is a far superior red meat to cow and goats are assholes that aren't amenable to factory farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
goats rule