Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

You mean the only people who buy Pathfinder.

partially, yea. Can't deny they didn't absolutely court the grog "ARE YOU SICK OF BABY D&D?!" market pretty drat hard to start with. Not surprising if that's still viewed as their core demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What makes this slightly more maddening is that it all just comes from a place of brand loyalty and a culture of hating change.

If the situation was altered - if Paizo instead had never printed the child rapist demon or loving whatever and instead said right off the bat that they didn't want that kind of material - I guarantee the vast majority of fans who are now kicking their feet and acting disappointed would've completely backed them on it. What happened instead is that Paizo allowed this poo poo to become "canonical" in their brand, meaning now all their trufans have already added it to their list of sacred bullshit that can never be changed (ie everything in their chosen brand), and now...well, it can never be changed.

None of them actually care. Well, ok, maybe one or two are legitimately hosed individuals that actively want their dumb child rape demon. But for most of them, the actual content doesn't matter. All they care about is that Their Company is backpedaling, which is inexcusable, because they are already and always perfect, and backpedaling means they're capable of making mistakes.

They're angry that they're being asked to actually examine their hobby critically.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rape half-orcs are a direct result of doubling down on the "always chaotic evil" alignment descriptor used frequently in old-school D&D. See, if an orc is always evil, then how could an orc and a human have a loving parental relationship? It would mean the parents of half-orcs are always evil, see, because obviously nobody not evil could love a chaotic evil orc!

Nevermind that old-school D&D was never consistent about poo poo like that, including orcs specifically being always chaotic evil, and also including the idea that the chaotic evil alignment completely precluded behavior that wasn't both chaotic and evil.

Not that any of this is an excuse for explicitly injecting or preserving rape as a theme in a supposedly family-friendly game for teens and adults. Or hell, any game of any stripe that doesn't specifically say on the box "warning: contains rape themes" on it.

But there's this terrible legacy of D&D-style alignments and labeling entire species/races with a specific alignment that a lot of grognardy old-school fans feel is intrinsic to the game, and a lot of the shittier conclusions drawn from that system seem to draw from it.

e. The reaction against "backpedalling" isn't just because they see their brand as always perfect: it's also people who see any sign of backpedaling as giving ground to the "SJWs" who they have decided are the enemy trying to destroy their hobby. Nevermind if they'd actually agree on any specific point, it's the general principle as symptomatic of a culture war in which they see themselves as the aggrieved victims.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

rape half-orcs are a direct result of doubling down on the "always chaotic evil" alignment descriptor used frequently in old-school D&D. See, if an orc is always evil, then how could an orc and a human have a loving parental relationship?

The ... human is also chaotic evil?

I guess what I'm saying is, if two orcs, who are always chaotic evil, are in a relationship, is that still an abusive relationship to each other, just because they're both chaotic evil?

You know what? Never mind. This doesn't make sense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My setting idea: Orcs frequently get captured by horny female elves who have no male counterparts.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
orcs need love too

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Leperflesh posted:

Nevermind that old-school D&D was never consistent about poo poo like that, including orcs specifically being always chaotic evil, and also including the idea that the chaotic evil alignment completely precluded behavior that wasn't both chaotic and evil.

Old-school Basic D&D orcs were chaotic, because the good-evil axis didn't exist (though it was usually implied).

Old-school AD&D orcs were lawful evil, because they were based on LotR orcs who were super militaristic. They didn't become chaotic evil until 3E.

:goonsay:

Serf
May 5, 2011

wow, alignment was always dumb and bad

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Eric Mona has made an official stance regarding the demon Folca found in the Book of the Damned

thread here: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uq7d&page=last?SoFolca

I'm glad they're removing the child molesting demon from future content, but I wish it hadn't been reprinted in the first place. Or printed for all that matter. Some topics are meant to be off-topic, especially in a game.

sure is nice of them to apologize after they'd already published it twice and made all the money they could off of it

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey, NTRPGCon is somehow still imploding!

quote:

Just found out that, evidently I have been banned from NTRPGcon, for "attacking" them. I'm not sure if it's because I stated I would never attend again, or for saying that they were one of my favorite conventions, lol. I do note however that I'm now on a list that does not include serial harassers, ISIS members, or America's Most Wanted. /is that an attack?

quote:

I never would have known, except 1 partner contacted me to tell me he disagreed with the other partner banning me. OK...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I get that first item on the list but why did he bring up the other two?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kavak posted:

I get that first item on the list but why did he bring up the other two?

The guy running the con kicked this all off by saying something like "I don't care if you're loving ISIS or whatever you've done outside my con, as long as you act cool at my con, we're all just gamers." This was in response to concerns that two recently revealed harassers would be guests at his thing.

I probably quoted that one way back in this thread when it happened, but I'm phone posting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

You know I read that as NTR RPGcon which would be a very different event.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Your definitely much more likely to be called a cuck at one of them. Ironically, not the one about that fetish.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

In that thread, Erik Mona flat out says, the one line he has for content at this point is 'sexual abuse of children'. Normal rape stuff, that he sees no need to get rid of.

Yeah. Not that the half-orc is alone there by any stretch, I just figure as long as that's in the core rules, nothing else has changed in that regard.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Leperflesh posted:

rape half-orcs are a direct result of doubling down on the "always chaotic evil" alignment descriptor used frequently in old-school D&D.

[useless nitpick]
Pre-3e, orcs were lawful evil.
[/useless nitpick]

For some odd reason you rarely hear grogs about that. I don't know how they did it, but for tons of people I know, both in the meatscape and online, "nostalgia" is synonymous with 3e/PF.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Third Edition used actual magic to erase the collective memories of Second Edition and prior from everyone's minds.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

For some odd reason you rarely hear grogs about that. I don't know how they did it, but for tons of people I know, both in the meatscape and online, "nostalgia" is synonymous with 3e/PF.

It's 17 years old. If you started playing D&D when you were 12, you can be 27 and have played nothing but 3.x edition. If you started when you were 18, you could be in your thirties.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 23, 2017

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know I read that as NTR RPGcon which would be a very different event.

The thinking man's fetish!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have no such excuse because I'm 42 and although I started with red box basic D&D, I went to AD&D pretty quickly. And I still have my books.

But yes also like half the "old school" D&D stuff is actually just 3rd edition stuff, but this goes hand in hand with how like 95% of people who played AD&D when they were teenagers were not in fact playing the AD&D game as-printed, because rules misunderstandings and house-rules were more or less universal. So I'll excuse myself by saying in the most memorable campaign I played in (lasted three or four whole sessions!), orcs were chaotic evil. :shrug:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think AD&D (and earlier) had the same brain-searing tribalism because there wasn't much competition in the early days of fantasy gaming.

Which makes sense in the context of how the "nostalgia" crowd doubled down after the D20 glut.

Plus nostalgia is more effective for things that never were, like rolling your attributes in order or the 1950s as presented on television.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I don't think AD&D (and earlier) had the same brain-searing tribalism because there wasn't much competition in the early days of fantasy gaming.

I'm not sure about that. If you look at some of the editions of "Forum" from Dragon during those days, you see a lot of submissions that wouldn't sound out of place in edition wars today.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

Also, most of us were in contact with no more than a handful of other people who played D&D. If we had a tribe, it was no different from any other small group of friends who had a shared interest. The broad, "we're a society and we're different" stuff maybe applied more to adults who, even in the late 1970s, were already forming larger associations, attending conventions, etc.

My first convention was the Golden Demon Awards in 1991, and my first contact with a broader "society" of D&D-playing nerds was when I first got access to Usenet in ~1993.

If I go back and look at the letters columns in Dragon magazine, etc., I can find evidence of the brain-searing tribalism already at work, but I think it hadn't fully metastasized until there were hundreds of D&D players associating together online. From those conversations evolved a shared mythology of what D&D and D&D-playing and D&D-players were, with all the usual collective wall-building and inclusion/exclusion cultural constructions that tend to come from those kinds of communities.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sage Genesis posted:

[useless nitpick]
Pre-3e, orcs were lawful evil.
[/useless nitpick]

Um excuse me page 9 of Men & Magic clearly indicates that Orcs can be either Neutral or Chaotic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kavak posted:

Third Edition used actual magic to erase the collective memories of Second Edition and prior from everyone's minds.
One of the most annoying things about the 3E/4E transition was the way that so many grogs thought 1E -> 2E -> 3E was this smooth, gradual evolution that was completely disrupted with 4E (when actually 3E was the massive break from tradition and 4E was, if anything, a return to form). Lots of D&D super-traditionalists going on about Gygax's table and murderhobos have never actually played anything before 3E.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FMguru posted:

One of the most annoying things about the 3E/4E transition was the way that so many grogs thought 1E -> 2E -> 3E was this smooth, gradual evolution that was completely disrupted with 4E (when actually 3E was the massive break from tradition and 4E was, if anything, a return to form). Lots of D&D super-traditionalists going on about Gygax's table and murderhobos have never actually played anything before 3E.

Yea that was probably my least favorite talking point that for some reason got treated as fact. The idea that from red box to the end of 3.5 things were a very smooth chain of building blocks that big mean 4E suddenly slapped down

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Idran posted:

I'm not sure about that. If you look at some of the editions of "Forum" from Dragon during those days, you see a lot of submissions that wouldn't sound out of place in edition wars today.

You haven’t truly experienced old D&D until you’ve read a two page long letter from some 14-year old nerd in rural Wyoming explaining in great detail why the XP penalty for half-orc fighter/thieves is thoroughly unrealistic and stupid.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Leperflesh posted:

Also, most of us were in contact with no more than a handful of other people who played D&D. If we had a tribe, it was no different from any other small group of friends who had a shared interest. The broad, "we're a society and we're different" stuff maybe applied more to adults who, even in the late 1970s, were already forming larger associations, attending conventions, etc.

My first convention was the Golden Demon Awards in 1991, and my first contact with a broader "society" of D&D-playing nerds was when I first got access to Usenet in ~1993.

If I go back and look at the letters columns in Dragon magazine, etc., I can find evidence of the brain-searing tribalism already at work, but I think it hadn't fully metastasized until there were hundreds of D&D players associating together online. From those conversations evolved a shared mythology of what D&D and D&D-playing and D&D-players were, with all the usual collective wall-building and inclusion/exclusion cultural constructions that tend to come from those kinds of communities.

I’d love to know what gaming periodicals the average player was subscribed to back in the 80s and how they affected gameplay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FMguru posted:

Well it's more that every version is a big disruption but 1E 2E 3E definitely have more in common with each other than they do with 4E.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well it's more that every version is a big disruption but 1E 2E 3E definitely have more in common with each other than they do with 4E.

4e as-written is waaaay closer to 3.5 than 3e is to 2e. BAB changed to proficiency bonus, 10 extra levels, saves are now static, the rest plays pretty much the same.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, 2E > 3E is the big divide. It becomes a bit smaller if you include the unofficial 2.5E (Combat & Tactics), but it's still pretty massive.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Book of 9 Swords is 3.5 and is basically a preview of 4E martials, 2nd edition to 3rd was a vast difference.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Piell posted:

Book of 9 Swords is 3.5 and is basically a preview of 4E martials, 2nd edition to 3rd was a vast difference.

Yea Book of 9 Swords exists as proof that the core 4E framework could be supported by 3.5. There's nothing even near that to show the same is true for 3E and 2E

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is a lot of Combat and Tactics in 3.0.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

bewilderment posted:

4e as-written is waaaay closer to 3.5 than 3e is to 2e. BAB changed to proficiency bonus, 10 extra levels, saves are now static, the rest plays pretty much the same.

Yeah, 4E is basically 3E with some balance changes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

There's nothing even near that to show the same is true for 3E and 2E

AD&D 2e's Combat and Tactics was the supplement that reduced the scale to 5-feet-per-square, introduced the full-move/half-move action economy (that would later turn into the standard/move dichotomy), created the 5-foot-step, formalized the flanking rules, and introduced the trip/bull-rush/disarm/etc. combat maneuvers.

There's still a fairly large shift in the adoption of unified mechanics, an all-ascending number system, and converting the skill system from roll-under to something that resembled Rolemaster's design, but C&T is the closest we got to a preview of 3e, at least in its combat rules.

(the kicker is that 3e didn't adopt C&T's fairly complex phased-movement system, which would have done quite a bit to rein-in caster power)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I did forget C&T was a thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Piell posted:

How many groups do you think actually played 3.5 with the Bo9S, though?

Like, sure, today thinking of things in terms of comprehensive catalogues of every option ever published makes sense, with no regard for what people can afford or access because half of everything is in official SRDs and the rest is instantly available in .pdf one way or another -- but vanilla 3.0 came out in 2000; the bit torrent protocol wouldn't even be developed for another year. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 24, 2017

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Falstaff posted:

Old-school Basic D&D orcs were chaotic, because the good-evil axis didn't exist (though it was usually implied).

Old-school AD&D orcs were lawful evil, because they were based on LotR orcs who were super militaristic. They didn't become chaotic evil until 3E.

:goonsay:

The axis was implied in both directions! In the 'normal' universe, chaos was corrupted, but in the shadow universe where the halflings came from, law was corrupted, so chaos was implied good. It was surprisingly awesome, in a way that the shadow elf nuclear reactor was... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Still remember the 2e -> 3e character conversion guide where you were basically starting over from your ability scores.

And spell list, conveniently enough.

• Locked thread