Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

metroid prime has aged so well. i got it at launch and never played it again until the wii u release but it felt like it could have been released today.

metroid prime 2 not so much.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

prime 2 is the best one and tied for my favorite metroid game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

prime 2 has a lot of great stuff in it and still holds up. theres one weird fetch quest in it for the powerbomb and the ammo system ends up being silly, those are my only real gripes with it.

mp3 would be 5x better if all the cutscenes and brain codec calls were removed. you get expository long phone calls like every other room its ridiculous

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Evil Eagle posted:

naw.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Evil Eagle posted:

:pwn:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Prime 2 pwns. That's correct.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

the combat is better in prime 2 because things actually try to kill you but prime 1 is a better game overall imo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

that reminds me, i never finished prime 2..

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

trying to jack off posted:

that reminds me, i never finished prime 2..

I've tried like three times.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Tender Bender posted:

I got 500 moons and did the darker side today so now I'm going back to BOTW for the first time in months. Exploring some random corner of an empty wasteland I found a shrine under a rock slab that was pretty lengthy, like close to the divine beasts, with a bunch of wind puzzles. Pretty cool.

I also just started playing BotW again to find shrines (was at 89 previously) and I also just found that exact one. Neat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Metroid Prime but 2 and 3 kinda suck for different reasons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't even pretend to agree with Evil Eagle because nothing screams "Metroid Game!" Like a game wide fetch quest that is only accessible once you reach the final boss door and they give you an "upgrade" that only lets you find he final boss door unlock keys.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
2 is just so freaking boring. has none of the sense of wonder that Prime had. 3 was ok I guess but it's been like ten years since I've last played it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

walmart's got botw explorer edition for fifty bucks tomorrow... god dammit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Samus Returns is a better Metroid game than prime 2 and 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

2 is just so freaking boring. has none of the sense of wonder that Prime had. 3 was ok I guess but it's been like ten years since I've last played it

I like 3 more than 2 because it's just a halo clone but I probably only like it because of the motion controls

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Samus Returns is a better Metroid game than prime 2 and 3

jesus christ

In Training posted:

I can't even pretend to agree with Evil Eagle because nothing screams "Metroid Game!" Like a game wide fetch quest that is only accessible once you reach the final boss door and they give you an "upgrade" that only lets you find he final boss door unlock keys.

You can start collecting temple keys as soon as you get the dark visor after chykka, just a few are only available after getting the light suit.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

it's the same exact thing as the artifacts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah and the artifacts are the worst thing about MP1. And they doubled down on it, and reused the entire map instead of making more levels

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i never understood the complaints about backtracking in the metroid prime games. but i was a teenager when i played them and was happy to spend hours of my life wandering around on pretty alien planets

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think prime 2 has higher highs and lower lows than the first game. Like everything about the robot city is my favorite area in the series and the bosses are all awesome. But it also has some really lame parts.

I like all the prime games a lot. I played them back to back for the first time when they came out on Wii U a few years back and that was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GameCube posted:

oh gently caress yeah

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i guess if youre just wanting to speed through the game and don't care about % the artifacts/keys/etc, are lame but i always saw it as the perfect excuse to revisit old areas with a full kit and get everything

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Metroid Prime 3 had the only good key hunt of the trilogy, because it took place throughout the game and each new key gave you something new. It also got combat amazingly right and gave us the extremely sick X-ray Visor + Nova Beam instant kill combo. I like it second best of the three, because the small, self-contained environments limited the exploration factor, somewhat spoiling the variety and originality of the locations.

Metroid Prime 2 leaned hardest of the entire series into the "hostile environment" concept, with good results. It was more extreme than its predecessor in most of its gameplay aspects, which is a quality I admire. This extremity was mostly to its benefit but sometimes it went too far. The high complexity of the environments increased interest overall, but I like it second best of the three, because it was the most difficult to backtrack in and it required the most backtracking.

Metroid Prime 1 is a well-rounded and solid experience that demonstrates modest virtuosity in all aspects. I like it second best of the three, because everything good about it is done better by one of its sequels or the other.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GameCube posted:

i thought this was a version with the DLC bundled in which wouldve been a great deal, but a. its just the guide and b. they sold out immediately

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

I wonder what that Vita exclusive Batman side scroller is like that aperture made. I don't think I've ever seen anybody on the planet ever talk about it

every studio that breaks off from Nintendo or forms from former Nintendo people is doomed to mediocrity

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think prime 2 has higher highs and lower lows than the first game. Like everything about the robot city is my favorite area in the series and the bosses are all awesome. But it also has some really lame parts.

Yeah. I liked it but I've never relayed it and I've played 1 like five times

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GameCube posted:

i never understood the complaints about backtracking in the metroid prime games. but i was a teenager when i played them and was happy to spend hours of my life wandering around on pretty alien planets

thats exactly it. they're not great games for grown ups whose minds have been perverted by the factory clock >_<

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

rediscover posted:

I also just started playing BotW again to find shrines (was at 89 previously) and I also just found that exact one. Neat

Hell yeah. I was at 87...whats going on...

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

anYone who thinks the metroid prime games are as good as 2d metroids is off their drat rocker

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Metroid Prime is the best Metroid

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Metroid Prime is the best Metroid
It's my favorite. One of the few games I've ever 100 percented. Without a guide, too.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Praying that the switch gets a new Prime to cement its legacy as the greatest Nintendo console

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Praying that the switch gets a new Prime to cement its legacy as the greatest Nintendo console

It was announced at E3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Did you miss this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbDmTjS_MI

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wait what

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its the .jpg that won e3

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

please someone tell me that Sakamoto is as minimally involved with this as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

feel free to post "Nintendo!" now