Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I talked myself into pulling on BraBra2 and while I didnt get any cool (de)buff stuff I did get Tyros LMR. Instacasting wall is very nice; cant wait for his super wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is the X banner worth a pull if I've already got Tidus' chain and OSB? I don't have a lot of great water options, but it also feels like just getting more gear for Tidus might not be the best idea vs. trying to get good water gear for other people, since he can already spend a whole fight casting his chain and then double-casting sapphire shots.

Absolutely not. Most of the banner is really bad. You have a dupe for one of the few decent relics on the list.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Good lord I need 4* dex motes so badly.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Arcon posted:

I talked myself into pulling on BraBra2 and while I didnt get any cool (de)buff stuff I did get Tyros LMR. Instacasting wall is very nice; cant wait for his super wall

Lucky! Make him into your second instant entrustbot. I pulled too, chasing this, but got Faris USB... which is, I guess

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

None of the other ninja skills are as exciting though...

Why is it that the water ninja skills don't so as much damage as the wind and fire ones? I can easily do 9999x2 against Golem but then I try to use the water abilities against Liquid Flame and it's like 1500 per hit or some poo poo. What the gently caress? Is it a potency thing?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why is it that the water ninja skills don't so as much damage as the wind and fire ones? I can easily do 9999x2 against Golem but then I try to use the water abilities against Liquid Flame and it's like 1500 per hit or some poo poo. What the gently caress? Is it a potency thing?

Wind and fire are 2 magic hits (and ninja magic has a crazy low softcap, you basically have to try *not* to hit it) that ignore resistance, the others are 2-4 physical attacks that don't ignore any defenses. They are much, much worse, and probably an overcorrection when they saw doublecast ninjas dealing 40k per turn with no buffs.

I do better damage with the 3* ninja magic than with the 5* physical ones, most of the time, and they have the additional benefits of being cheap to hone and not having to constantly try to set up blinks only for the boss to immediately toss out a physical attack.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Wind and fire are 2 magic hits (and ninja magic has a crazy low softcap, you basically have to try *not* to hit it) that ignore resistance, the others are 2-4 physical attacks that don't ignore any defenses. They are much, much worse,

lmfao

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wind and fire are 2 magic hits (and ninja magic has a crazy low softcap, you basically have to try *not* to hit it) that ignore resistance,

Yeah, the soft-cap for MAG in Ninja spells (which is to say: the 3* elemental skills, Phantasm, Gust, Smoldering Fire and Raging Storm) is something like 350 or so. You can reach it with equipment alone on some characters (like Fujin), much less with buffs. The reason they do so much damage is because they're RES-independent.

It's also why Sephiroth's BSB1 is a sleeper hit vs things like Magicite - Despair, the burst's first command, is two DEF-ignoring hits. It may take a few more buffs to hit 2x9999, but with just shout and a good synergy weapon you should reliably be hitting 2x7000-8000.

The big advantages Ninja Magic have are that they're elemental (and thus can hit weaknesses) and that you can doublecast them with Doublecast Ninja materia (such as with Edge/Shadow/Yuffie's LM2s).

They are much, much worse,

They're different. They follow the traditional ATK formula - meaning you can run them in physical teams without problem - and have a gimmick that is easy to exploit on some bosses (and impossible on others).

Let's ignore the elemental thing for now (though Water and Dark are two elements that Ninja doesn't have great coverage of magically - Water Veil is it) and go straight for the numbers: In order for a two-blink Shadow Embodied/Raging Waters to surpass the ninja magics, they need to do 5000 per hit. After they get buffed, they need to do roughly 2900 per hit to push past the ninja magic hard cap. And, hey, they're physical which means they can be boosted by critfixes and things like Cloud USB.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 24, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KataraniSword posted:

They're different. They follow the traditional ATK formula - meaning you can run them in physical teams without problem - and have a gimmick that is easy to exploit on some bosses (and impossible on others).

Let's ignore the elemental thing for now (though Water and Dark are two elements that Ninja doesn't have great coverage of magically - Water Veil is it) and go straight for the numbers: In order for a two-blink Shadow Embodied/Raging Waters to surpass the ninja magics, they need to do 5000 per hit. After they get buffed, they need to do roughly 2900 per hit to push past the ninja magic hard cap. And, hey, they're physical which means they can be boosted by critfixes and things like Cloud USB.

That's true, but that doesn't take into account the setup involved - getting (and keeping) 2 blinks up is going to be eating up some turns without dealing damage most of the time, and you still need good buffs to make them decent, whereas Water Veil is just 9,999 damage, every turn, no buffs required. There's probably situations where the math works out, but for magicite content at least, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which physical ninja skills are going to be doing better, more reliable damage, for me at least. But I don't have native Cloud USB, which definitely is a game-changer.

I haven't really played with ninja stuff much outside of magicite because I can deal more damage with other setups against enemies that don't have completely absurd def / res, so it's completely possible that I'm 100% a dumbass about this in other contexts.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i'm in for this pull :swoon:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Water Veil probably isn't going to be doing 9,999 outside of highly optimized setups and hitting a weakness.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The blink stackers deal damage so your "without dealing any damage" comment is patently untrue, they can be doublecast so it isn't even that hard keeping the blinks capped, and the blink exploiters are easily the strongest abilities in the game, phys or mag. No other abilities are anywhere close to as powerful as the physical ninja blink attacks (possibly until the Heavy Combat skills hit tonight in JP, we'll see). Cloud USB has nothing to do with it.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I pulled even though I really shouldn't have (I already have Tidus fully legend dived + USB CSB OSB BSB1) but that BSB2 looked fun.

Got 2 dupe chaos rods, a legend materia bracer for Tidus (I can't see using it over his other 2 LM, but the bracer is good stats), and a USB for Paine.

Got pretty lucky, even if I didn't get the BSB2... Not worth tempting fate again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, that was kinda stupid good. Pulled Tidus's USB so I egged him to 80. With shout and Red's howl, Cloud's USB got him doing massive damage to Rubicante. Sapphire Shot for 25k per hit, then another 25k from the proc. A second Day To Remember did 110k damage.

Poor Flamebro never even knew what hit him.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Hawkeye posted:

Got 2 dupe chaos rods, a legend materia bracer for Tidus (I can't see using it over his other 2 LM, but the bracer is good stats), and a USB for Paine.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure EnElement LMs are some of the best LMs in the game.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
2/11 Sword of Paine x2. That was not what I was going for, game....

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

ceaselessfuture posted:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure EnElement LMs are some of the best LMs in the game.

Is it? It just seems redundant when after a few turns max he's doing a USB or BSB that gives him EnElement. If it works better than his +increase water damage LM then by all means I'll be pretty happy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got 2/11 on my pull - Paine USB and Tidus BSB. Pretty nice, especially considering that they're both at 99 for lesser reasons. (Paine SSB was an old enwater option, and Tidus RM3 is so far the only source of +30% water.)

ceaselessfuture posted:

I have this for Aranea with her SSB and BSB.

It's devastating just how much damage she can throw around in a hurry.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

It's also why Sephiroth's BSB1 is a sleeper hit vs things like Magicite - Despair, the burst's first command, is two DEF-ignoring hits. It may take a few more buffs to hit 2x9999, but with just shout and a good synergy weapon you should reliably be hitting 2x7000-8000.

Physical piercing attacks are even crazier than ninja magic, because the formula actually has no soft cap. The formula is just potency * ATK^0.9, which means slightly diminishing returns, but it keeps growing to infinity. A +30% ATK boost translates to 27% more damage, no matter how high your ATK already is (assuming you're below the buff soft cap). Ninja magic has a much sharper falloff after the soft cap, going down to MAG^0.25. No wonder physical piercing attacks are so rare - literally just Seph's CMD1 and a 4* monk ability that only does one hit.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Hawkeye posted:

Is it? It just seems redundant when after a few turns max he's doing a USB or BSB that gives him EnElement. If it works better than his +increase water damage LM then by all means I'll be pretty happy.

I'm not at high-end play yet, but I think it's because of the current speed meta. You can immediately use abilities like Thundering Twinstrike and get a straight-up 1.5x to them and also have that 1.5x translate to your opening SB.

Without EnElement, your first SB always hits like piss (source: have casted SBs without Enelement) and using abilities is pretty bad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Enelements actually increase SB damage by 80%, not 50%.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Just dollar pulled Wakka's LMR, with my only other relic for him being his unique. I think I was just trolled hard.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Enelements actually increase SB damage by 80%, not 50%.

holy poo poo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mithross posted:

Just dollar pulled Wakka's LMR, with my only other relic for him being his unique. I think I was just trolled hard.

Which unique? If it's Status Reels, 3 extra seconds of -50% DEF/RES (which is effectively a 15% damage boost for the whole party) is pretty nice. Definitely good for CMs.

If it's Attack Reels then yeah you got trolled.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

The blink stackers deal damage so your "without dealing any damage" comment is patently untrue, they can be doublecast so it isn't even that hard keeping the blinks capped, and the blink exploiters are easily the strongest abilities in the game, phys or mag. No other abilities are anywhere close to as powerful as the physical ninja blink attacks (possibly until the Heavy Combat skills hit tonight in JP, we'll see). Cloud USB has nothing to do with it.

So then what are the best abilities to hone for Liquid Flame? I have Edge USB, SSB2, and he is fully Legend Dived.

If I wanted to run the water blink abilities then I need to run a physical team with the standard Shout+OK BSB or Ramza USB?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Fister Roboto posted:

Which unique? If it's Status Reels, 3 extra seconds of -50% DEF/RES (which is effectively a 15% damage boost for the whole party) is pretty nice. Definitely good for CMs.

If it's Attack Reels then yeah you got trolled.

It's Attack Reels

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As a follow-up on Type-0, since it's open:

King is Black Magic 3/White Magic 3/Combat 4/Support 4/Machinist 5/Sharpshooter 5
Cinque is Black Magic 3/White Magic 3/Combat 5/Support 5/Heavy 5

...unfortunately for the pair, they have some miserable equipment support: King is Daggers/Guns, Cinque is Daggers/Hammers.
Just Hammers.
Even Cid IV has Axes, too.
...AND Cinque gets a Support-tier ATK score.

Anyway.

King LM1: Small physical damage up when equipping guns
King LM2: Grants Haste and Instant Cast 3 at the beginning of the battle
King LMR: En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Cinque LM1: Small physical damage up when equipping hammers
Cinque LM2: When using Heavy abilities, high chance to grant the user Heavy Charge +1
Cinque LMR: En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Further details on the new abilities:

Abilities posted:

Diada
WHT type, White Magic school, 1.65s CT
3x 3.07 ST magical Holy attacks (9.21x total), 25% chance to cause Minor Imperil Holy
Counterable, 70 SB points

Goddess's Hymn
NAT type, Bard school, 1.65s CT
Grants Hymn MND +10/20/30/40/50% to all allies and Goddess's Hymn 1/2/3/4/4 to the user if the user has Goddess's Hymn 0/1/2/3/4
Counterable, 80 SB points
("Hymn MND" is a unique MND buff that stacks with generic MND buffs such as Grace. "Goddess's Hymn X" is a status that is used only to keep track of the user's song level. Both these statuses have a 10 seconds duration.)

Heavy Charge
PHY type, Heavy school, 1.65s CT
1x 1.50 ST physical attack (1.50x total), grants Heavy Charge +1 to the user, max Heavy Charge =2
Counterable, 75 SB points

Grand Charge
4x 0.55 ST physical Earth/Dark attacks (2.20x total), grants Heavy Charge +1 to the user, max Heavy Charge =2
Counterable, 75 SB points

Gigant Swing
3/4/8x 1.00/1.00/0.88 ST physical Earth attacks (3.00/4.00/7.04x total) if the user has Heavy Charge 0/1/2, causes Heavy Charge =0 to the user

Blast Burn
1/2/6x 2.25/1.50/0.88 AoE physical Earth attacks (2.25/3.00/5.28x total) if the user has Heavy Charge 0/1/2, causes Heavy Charge =0 to the user

And to round things out, the new SB animations from the first banner.

King USB
King BSB
King SSB

Cinque USB
Cinque BSB
Cinque SSB

Rem OSB

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Whoever made this CM hates everything and everyone.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

:siren: Black Friday Pull is here! :siren:

Agrias OSB is a dupe.
Snow LMR is mostly wasted since my only relic for him is ancient.
Steiner BSB is cool in my book, nice to have something a little more relevant for Rusty.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
4/11 from the Thanksgiving draw - LMRs for Vivi and Nine, Deuce's USB and WoL's holy chain.

Getting my first chain is great news. Always pull.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
my surprise item banner is in jappo

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

I expected something a bit better when seeing three discos, but eh, I'll take it. Aranea would be lovely if I just had a source of EnLightning for her. Seifer USB is pretty cool. :toot:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Cyan lmr
Minwu lmr
Dupe eiko bsb

Whole lotta nothing

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
3/11 on the Black Friday banner netted me a dupe Matoya BSB, a dupe Cid XIV BSB, and a Shantotto BSB. Kind of a bummer all told, but that's the way the RNG crumbles.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Tidus and Jecht BSBs and a Prompto USB, no dupes. I have Tidus's chain so that's +10 ATK if nothing else and Prompto's thing seems cool for lightning + it's a base 6* gun.

I do not feel compelled to unbench Jecht over this.

Solid pull, none of my favorite characters nor any critical holes filled in my arsenal but it's hard to be salty about 2 new BSBs and a new USB for 50 mythril.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I went 3/11...but only BSBs. No more chains (and the one I have is nice but frankly I am not at all starved for holy options), no USBs, and no LMRs. Just Thancred BSB2/Zack BSB/Reno BSB. The first is a real headscratcher because he still has no enpoison effects at this time, the second is a moderately dated but still useful imperil, and the third is really nice as I'd already grabbed his LMR while chasing better relics on the most recent FF7 event. :science:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I got 3/11 which was the minimum possible.

Sabin OSB
Ricard BSB
Dupe Edge BSB

There's no room for Sabin in my VI CM or fire team and I have a better 6* fist already.

Ricard's BSB is fine. Enwind with utility commands that fuel sky high and the 5* wind thing.

A dupe Edge BSB is worthless.

Could be worse but it's a very unexciting pull. Never pull.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

my two pulls tonight are loving :stonklol:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Maybe Fenrir just got a bit easier? :getin: I have Squall’s OSB and this plays really nice with it! The other two are good for FFXII synergy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
4/11

Eiko USB, Lann OSB, Snow BSB (dupe), Galuf LMR.

Don't have anything for Galuf (even if dualcast Monk is nice), and Lann's OSB sucks and will never have synergy, so my pull isreally just Eiko USB and my second ice+ armor. Still makes it a pretty nice pull though.

I do have my fingers crossed that the WoFF game announcement will justify an FFRK banner - I really did like WoFF and I'd the-love an excuse to use Lann and Reynn.

• Locked thread