Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The_Rob posted:

Yeah man I'm really missing out on those grand artistic statements of the marvel movies.

Not everyone cares about grand artistic statements when they are deciding which movie they want to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

- Kvetching about capitalism is stupid. I get it, there's problems with it, but you're only reminding me of that episode of TNG where Q's suggestion to fix a problem is some outlandish thing that the Enterprise can't do*.

- Kinda general, but the "I can't understand why {thing} is popular" needs to stop. 999 times out of a thousand, it's completely understandable why {thing} is popular. Maybe you don't like it, whatever, but it's not rocket science why, say, superheroes movies get butts in the seats. You're not winning points for being non-mainstream, you're just missing out.

* I'm aware that the resolution of that episode is "why not kinda do the Impossible Solution", but it's still the same Impossible Solution.

spoken like a frightened old

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Loud and fun is just as good as quiet and thoughtful. This applies to movies as well as people.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I get seeing superhero movies with a group of friends, but I can't imagine wanting to buy and watch them again later. The first run through is "shut off your brain and watch these SFX," so I'm not sure where the fun would be repeating that, especially by yourself. Which is probably why I failed to make it through Guardians twice.

I can enjoy the gently caress out of something as stupid as Zoolander, though. Multiple times. :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Lol Goscinny was loving trash. Comparing him to Alan Moore, probably the best comics writer ever.

lol
just
lol

He's literally incapable of telling a story in comic form. He's not even a comics writer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
superhero movies are absolutely soul crushing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

I get seeing superhero movies with a group of friends, but I can't imagine wanting to buy and watch them again later. The first run through is "shut off your brain and watch these SFX," so I'm not sure where the fun would be repeating that, especially by yourself. Which is probably why I failed to make it through Guardians twice.

I can enjoy the gently caress out of something as stupid as Zoolander, though. Multiple times. :shrug:

Have you tried turning your brain on?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sassassin posted:

Have you tried turning your brain on?

But if I do that, I won't like superhero movies at all!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The marvel movies seriously suck, even just as action movies/sfx and I genuinely don't get why people are still so invested in them. The sfx and the action and the plots and everything are just so loving paint-by-numbers.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
People who don't like superhero movies are usually losers who think it's okay to have anxiety.

Lol.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not everyone cares about grand artistic statements when they are deciding which movie they want to watch.

Saying people are missing out on superhero movies implies that there is something more to them. I understand the social aspect of it I guess but nothing is gained from them after the movie. There are no real discussions to be had about the movie. What exactly are people missing out on by not seeing the new marvel movie?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

But if I do that, I won't like superhero movies at all!

And perhaps you'll enjoy figuring out why.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quad posted:

Unpopular Actor Opinions:

Bruce Campbell makes me angry; it's like the Evil Dead director is trying to get away with something, like we're all supposed to go "oh, yeah, that's what a human person looks like, yeah, I buy that", and then he 'acts' and it's all so much worse than you could imagine. He's awful at everything he does, and not even in a charming way, and everyone tells me I am the one with a bad opinion because it's just campy fun but fuuuuuuck why not do camp with someone who looks like a person and can act instead. :(

Similarly Eddie Redmayne, who I don't hate but pity, as he has a permanent look and feel of "please lower your voice, you're scaring me, I'm panicky, about to cry", no matter what scene he is doing or what emotion it calls for.

I don't hate him nearly as much as you seem to but I'm at least sort of inclined to agree. I saw him on a book tour recently that a friend dragged me to, and for something (he paid) that cost $70 to attend it was amazingly half assed. The whole thing seemed barely planned out and he was visibly drunk and just winging super corny jokes for an hour. He seems like he is just coasting through life on his nerd cred . I've never found him particularly noteworthy but I also don't think he is bad either. He's just kind of there.

I got an autographed copy of his book I will never read with it. I wonder if I should stick that on SA mart. it's been sitting in the back seat of my car for 2 months.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

People who don't like superhero movies are usually losers who think it's okay to have anxiety.

What about people who don't like the Marvel movies but I do like Batman & Robin?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Punisher with Tom Jane was pretty good. Also the new Punisher on Netflix. Deadpool was OK too. Basically comic book movies can be good if there's enough people getting shot in the face.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Aramek posted:

Lol.

So are you saying people with anxiety issues are bad or?

Like, that's such a weird loving way to end your statement

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The marvel movies seriously suck, even just as action movies/sfx and I genuinely don't get why people are still so invested in them. The sfx and the action and the plots and everything are just so loving paint-by-numbers.

Out of the superhero movies I like probably half of all the Batman movies, Captain America Winter Soldier, Doctor Strange, and both Guardians of the Galaxy movies. That’s about it so I don’t know which boxes that ticks off but probably cool action with comedy

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Saagonsa posted:

So are you saying people with anxiety issues are bad or?

Like, that's such a weird loving way to end your statement

He's probably talking about the vocal minority who constantly bring their self-diagnosed "anxiety" to get out of doing anything new or that requires effort.

And, quite frequently in my country, claim to have it in court to justify their criminal actions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get what superhero movies have to do with anxiety tbh.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm not sure what the confusion is about how people can enjoy them. People say they are "paint by numbers" and derivative, but that doesn't mean they are bad. If they paint by numbers well and stay in the lines, it will still be a passable painting. There's not much creative about things like marvel movies but that's not what they are trying to do so it's silly to try and critique it like some art film.

Nobody is saying you have to like them or are wrong for doing so, but the reasons why other people like them are clear and obvious even if you don't agree with them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

the reasons why other people like them are clear and obvious
Are they? I watched three of them (Thor, Captain America and The Avengers) one night recently to see what the fuss was about and they were just boring. I honestly don't know why people like them. Based on the trailers and clips I'd seen I thought at least there'd be some fun action scenes and funny dialogue, but they didn't even deliver on either of those.

Whether or not they're painting by the numbers, the picture they're painting just isn't worth looking at. They're not good stories, they don't have good characters, they're not exciting, they're not funny. I can't even tell what they're trying to be, honestly. I can see why children would like them, because it honestly doesn't take much to entertain a child, but no, it's not obvious why adults like these movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There's a distinction you are failing to understand. You don't have to agree with what they find funny and exciting to understand that they do due to simpler tastes, or just liking the dumb comic book backstories. I mean, a lot of people like the comic books they are bsaed on (and in general) despite being boring and unfunny to me personally, but I get why some people like them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

There's a distinction you are failing to understand. You don't have to agree with what they find funny and exciting to understand that they do due to simpler tastes, or just liking the dumb comic book backstories. I mean, a lot of people like the comic books they are bsaed on (and in general) despite being boring and unfunny to me personally, but I get why some people like them.

There's a distinction you're failing to understand between understanding that people like something and understanding why people like something. I understand that people like the Marvel movies and that people find them funny and exciting. I don't understand why any of those things. If you say you like something because it's funny that doesn't actually help anyone to understand why you like it. You've just told us what genre it is, not what makes it funny. And as well as being pretty reductive and patronising to say that the people who like something you don't have "simpler tastes" it also doesn't go any way toward explaining why they like it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There is no objective reason, the answer will vary from person to person as to why they find a certain thing funny/exciting/interesting. It'd be like someone who doesn't like chicken asking a chicken liker why they like it. I don't know what kind of answer you'd expect from that beyond the admittedly circular answer "I like it because it's good, to me".

Plus I wasn't being "patronizing" considering I've posted itt about liking a lot of the marvel movies, I was referring to the bar of quality in entertainment that everyone has. Some have low ones where it doesn't have to be particularly creative or meaningful to be enjoyable, some require it to make them think. Neither is objectively better than the other.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why do people like movies in general? Soulless plays in 2D shat out by corporate whores to make the Harvey Weinsteins of the world more money. :smuggo:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm not sure what the confusion is about how people can enjoy them. People say they are "paint by numbers" and derivative, but that doesn't mean they are bad. If they paint by numbers well and stay in the lines, it will still be a passable painting. There's not much creative about things like marvel movies but that's not what they are trying to do so it's silly to try and critique it like some art film.

Nobody is saying you have to like them or are wrong for doing so, but the reasons why other people like them are clear and obvious even if you don't agree with them.

It's a waste of time to spend hours on something that is barely competent / passable when there are so many things you could do instead that would actually give you something memorable (even if we still speak only about passive entertainment), if you only managed to escape the consumerist malaise and the self imposed lowest common denominator standard for social interactions that comes with it. Superhero movies are the equivalent of staring at drying paint, no matter how skillfully the paint is applied, you aren't getting anything from returning day after day to continue watching it.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Me, upon seeing a beautiful flower: Pointless. This doesn't appear to contribute to society, no direct practical application or knowledge to glean from this. The flower will die without leaving a lasting impression in the fields of politics and mathematics; wasteful and inefficient.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It's a waste of time to spend hours on something that is barely competent / passable when there are so many things you could do instead that would actually give you something memorable (even if we still speak only about passive entertainment), if you only managed to escape the consumerist malaise and the self imposed lowest common denominator standard for social interactions that comes with it. Superhero movies are the equivalent of staring at drying paint, no matter how skillfully the paint is applied, you aren't getting anything from returning day after day to continue watching it.

I also watch lots of movies with talking puppies in them, you're talking to the wrong guy if you think i value my time or expect to "get things" from all the movies i watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm all for artless shlock if it's enjoyable but Marvel movies are seriously boring. I'd say it's a small step up from the worst Hollywood crap like transformers or Battleship or whatever but barely. I can't even remember which movie was which from the ones I've seen. It's just a bunch of visual noise.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’d like to see a comic book movie that isn’t presented like a comic book movie. That’s a maybe unpopular opinion.

Actually, there probably are some of these already. But it could be done with mainstream characters too. They don’t have to be stereotypical action-things, do they? That’s just the way they are at the moment.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You should watch Ghost World and From Hell.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Excellent. Okay. I’m very open to recommendations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Excellent. Okay. I’m very open to recommendations.

Don't watch Ghost World, it's bad. From Hell is alright.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's mostly just that all of these franchise movies are way more concerned with expanding their brand than telling an interesting story or entertaining an audience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dredd is a good comic book movie.

Not an unpopular opinion, i'm just adding to the list.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

There is no objective reason, the answer will vary from person to person as to why they find a certain thing funny/exciting/interesting. It'd be like someone who doesn't like chicken asking a chicken liker why they like it. I don't know what kind of answer you'd expect from that beyond the admittedly circular answer "I like it because it's good, to me".
But reviewers do that all the time. And not by just saying "I liked it because it was good". Bering able to explain why you liked something is a skill, but it's not some impossible task. I've read and watched reviews for a lot of movies that I didn't like and come away with an understanding of why others enjoy it even though I still didn't. Food reviewers exist too and they can explain why they like chicken.

Plus I wasn't being "patronizing" considering I've posted itt about liking a lot of the marvel movies, I was referring to the bar of quality in entertainment that everyone has. Some have low ones where it doesn't have to be particularly creative or meaningful to be enjoyable, some require it to make them think. Neither is objectively better than the other.
That's not some universal scale, there are lots of reasons to like or dislike a movie and how much it makes you think is probably not even a particularly common or useful one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Dredd was pretty good but I like the Stallone version better overall as a movie, mostly because of the tone. I feel like movies in general lately keep trying to get darker and grittier than the last, particularly with reboots, which I'm not a huge fan of.

e: side note - if they ever try to make a dark+gritty version of demolition man I'll be upset.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

The most unpopular opinion: I liked Stallone's version better. :ohdearsass:

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Randaconda posted:

The most unpopular opinion: I liked Stallone's version better. :ohdearsass:

Dredd is funnier, but the Stallone one was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Stallone one was fine and I'll take it's goofiness any day over the modern "wold builder" approach to comic book movies, but the Karl Urban one was the type of tight, tense story I personally enjoy more.