Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You Am I posted:

OTOH, no private schools, therefore getting rid of classism at an early age
You'd just have rich kids buddying up in public schools instead. It's not like public or private schools have any real bearing in terms of outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CrazyTolradi posted:

You'd just have rich kids buddying up in public schools instead. It's not like public or private schools have any real bearing in terms of outcomes.

Yeah. This is already the case in "good" public schools where parents throw in mondo cash.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

I mean it's pretty well established that 1/4 to 1/3rd of humans are absolute garbage. Look at the US, where despite a year of never ending scandal and graft, the Trump Administration has bottomed out in the low 30s. That Turnbull is managing to break through that wall and poll down in the high 20s speaks to his utter lack of appeal to anyone.

That Labor voters still hold those percentages is upsetting, though. I can see how that could generate fear in their ranks, especially given the right's efficacy at campaigning on it.

Also I predict QLD is going to echo the WA result, with the Libs getting smacked for blatantly climbing into bed with PHON - but to less of a degree. I think they'll take more than 4%, but less than the 12% they're polling at, because polling in 2017 is garbage.

I just want to reiterate how much of a feat it is to be less popular than Trump. Well done Turnbull, selling out to the far right in your party really worked out, didn't it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Intoluene posted:

I just want to reiterate how much of a feat it is to be less popular than Trump. Well done Turnbull, selling out to the far right in your party really worked out, didn't it?

We're less polarised than the US. Trump's still got some popularity because there are people who will literally support pedophiles over any Democrat whereas I don't think we're at that stage.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Plus Turnbull is not playing to the worst like Trump is. As much as I dislike them and think their choices are stupid, he represents the side of his party that at least pretends to think and be competent. It's not the sort of base that will stick to you no matter what in large numbers.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Futuresight posted:

Plus Turnbull is not playing to the worst like Trump is. As much as I dislike them and think their choices are stupid, he represents the side of his party that at least pretends to think and be competent. It's not the sort of base that will stick to you no matter what in large numbers.

I don't think that would work as well here either though, we'd need another 20 years of neglecting public education to get there. Also the South and their massive evangelical churches add in a bunch of factors we don't really have here, where religion is mostly on the decline - even with regional QLD and Western Sydney in the mix.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

The Manus Island situation is a loving hand delivered scandal. I know the Liberals and Murdoch media will try to conflate what's happening over there with the fact that the Rudd/Gillard govt reopened the center, but to blame them for what's going on today is a bridge too far. Why they're not slamming this home when there's every likelihood that we're already in an Election cycle, I don't know.

Both sides are united in disliking boat people and queue jumpers. The people who want open borders are the minority. That's just how it is. There is no scandal because everyone knows the situation and doesn't care. Compassion isn't part of the equation.

Don't expect a change in government to result in a change in policy other than possibly some throwaway non committal words.

Bear in mind the PHON influence too.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hmmmmm

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

Both sides are united in disliking boat people and queue jumpers. The people who want open borders are the minority. That's just how it is. There is no scandal because everyone knows the situation and doesn't care. Compassion isn't part of the equation.

Don't expect a change in government to result in a change in policy other than possibly some throwaway non committal words.

Why the gently caress does everyone give PHON credit when they're only polling about 10% nationwide? Why doesn't anyone talk about the Greens influence?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Starshark posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone give PHON credit when they're only polling about 10% nationwide? Why doesn't anyone talk about the Greens influence?

PHON voters genuinely split around ~50-50 when it comes to the 2PP, while the Greens are always going to support Labor anyway over the LNP if it comes down to government, so there's not really much influence to really be had there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

Greens harness the power of reasoned thinking which is a 40 watt bulb. PHON harness the combined powers of ignorance, racism and corruption which is basically a bank of floodlights.

Both of these are powering a bat signal and Batman is a Herald Sun reporter.

Also I can joke about PHON but I don't have many snide comments to make about the Greens.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DancingShade posted:

I maintain there's a difference between wanting open borders, and supporting the Australian Govt in their efforts to eschew responsibility for human lives, refusing to let NZ take them, outright lying about the efficacy of Operation Sovereign Borders, and also spending 9 billion dollars to basically torture people.

You can even support the concept of off shore detention without making it a massive boondoggle that brings us into international disrepute via sheer tyranny.

Edit: I mean there would be a difference, if the media and the ALP would even put that on the table. This whole "you either support OSB or you're basically inviting people to rock up uninvited and set up a mosque in your front yard" is just as fabricated as the 2013 "budget emergency", which the ALP also did gently caress all about.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 24, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

I maintain there's a difference between wanting open borders, and supporting the Australian Govt in their efforts to eschew responsibility for human lives, refusing to let NZ take them, outright lying about the efficacy of Operation Sovereign Borders, and also spending 9 billion dollars to basically torture people.

You can even support the concept of off shore detention without making it a massive boondoggle that brings us into international disrepute via sheer tyranny.

Edit: I mean there would be a difference, if the media and the ALP would even put that on the table. This whole "you either support OSB or you're basically inviting people to rock up uninvited and set up a mosque in your front yard" is just as fabricated as the 2013 "budget emergency", which the ALP also did gently caress all about.

I honestly think the whole idea isn't to run it "well" as such but rather to make it as visibly horrible as possible without incurring an invasion by a horrified coalition of nations to act as a deterrent.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

nothing gets past this guy

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Starshark posted:

Reactionary parties that feed on discontent are dangerous and unpredictable. Even the most ardent Greens supporter would agree that in the best case scenario if they ever form government it will be a slow process building support that finally happens multiple election cycles from now.

Very few people expect ON to form QLD government (or indeed national) but the terrifying thing is that it's possible to imagine a chain of events that end up with that happening. Remote, but history shows it could happen.

So that, but also the fact that a lot of the media is run by rich men who see value in tapping into that market.

Edit: had tab open for too long, DancingShade said it better.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 24, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Starshark posted:

Because the greens aren't a craven shitshow that disgust people and go around espousing outrageous poo poo on television day and night. People don't like the greens for being Greenies and do gooders, but more people viteiolically hate PHON for being embarrassing morons.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Starshark posted:

The Greens get absolutely no coverage in the media despite having been a sizeable 3rd party well before all these other ones showed up. Meanwhile Pauline Hanson gets endless coverage and whether she says something good or bad it doesn't matter, it all still familiarises her with potential voters. People think "I'm sick of Labor and Liberals I wonder who else there is" and the whole time they're being reminded of PHON.

RDN could snap a puppy's neck on the lawn of Parliament House and nobody would ever know.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

AgentF posted:

RDN could snap a puppy's neck on the lawn of Parliament House and nobody would ever know.

nah we heard all about it when he didn't pay his au pairs properly

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

People don't like the greens for being Greenies and do gooders, but more people viteiolically hate PHON for being embarrassing morons.
Wanting to do good for people and ensuring we have a sustainable planet to live on have become qualities to mock in Australian society.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoldStandardConure posted:

Which is far, far worse than deliberately letting asbestos victims die in protracted legal action to reduce payouts or deliberately destroying the future of an entire nation in the information age by sabotaging national infrastructure.

*whistles while walking past a 7/11*

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

I don't think this is true. In theory you might be able to envision a sensibly run offshore detention regime but in practice outsourcing detention to some tiny island or developing country is always going to be vulnerable to avoidance of responsibility/covering up of abuses/corruption in a way that onshore detention is not (relatively).

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

GoldStandardConure posted:

Wasn't it that he did pay them legally, but the legal minimum for that job is shockingly low?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mr Chips posted:

Wasn't it that he did pay them legally, but the legal minimum for that job is shockingly low?

My recollection is he paid below award in cash but made up for it in board and lodgings which seems dickish to me - but I'm not a big DiNatale fan.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there is no humane offshore detention. the bipartisan acceptance that no refugee will come to australia makes the thing unworkable. the refugees won’t accept png or nauru as an option, and not only is it against international law to refoule refugees, which is a line even the lnp seem unwilling to cross, but countries like iran refuse to allow refugees to be forcibly returned.

so you can’t settle them in australia on policy grounds, you can’t settle them on nauru or png, and you can’t send them back. you can accept the nz offer, but that’s only 150 of 600. the us deal will only result in a pitifully small number being resettled. as shown in the lnp’s attempts to settle refugees in cambodia, it would take hundreds of millions of dollars to resettle all refugees in detention in third countries. if you put forward that they can’t be brought here, there’s literally no way out but to leave them in camps and just wait for the problem to solve itself - by suicide or murder, and we’ve seen instances of both.

that’s the reality, even if the alp wins a landslide victory at the next election. labor will never in a hundred years accept refugees coming to australia because they’re spineless cowards. the only option for them would be to maintain the status quo and put on a somber face every time a refugee in detention dies, saying that it’s a tragedy but at least we stopped the boats.

the end

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps we could make an ominous future deterrent for our inland nuclear waste tombs that will last 12000 years using masses of boat people bones or something.

It's clear we as a nation are A-ok with concentration camps and stuff anyway (and in fact lauded as very solution focused by certain right wing groups overseas) so may as well go all out and just start making leather jackets from their skin or something.

Replace Parliament House with Skeletor's castle from He-Man.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 24, 2017

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

all we need to do is drop our living standards beneath those of syria and we’re home free

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

all we need to do is drop our living standards beneath those of syria and we’re home free

Once again Mad Max is the solution and our likely future.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The incoming ALP Govt could show the reffos a pic of Scott Morrison captioned "Australia's Next PM" and there's your deterrent right there.

Edit: is drunk posting bannable in d&d asking for a friend

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

The incoming ALP Govt could show the reffos a pic of Scott Morrison captioned "Australia's Next PM" and there's your deterrent right there.

Edit: is drunk posting bannable in d&d asking for a friend

LNP complains about ALP "dirty union tactics" after ALP shows picture of Scott Morrison.

Scott Morrison unavailable for comment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/michael47818552/status/933994249707593728

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Manus rally in Melbourne

https://twitter.com/djed_press/status/933972411178934272

https://twitter.com/forevertoremain/status/933963733985980416

https://twitter.com/JSalmonupstream/status/933959291639181312

https://twitter.com/RichardDiNatale/status/933965457316397059

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
what do they need all of those horses for anyway

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

To stomp on people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
get those animals off those horses

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
if you're in hi vis and bloodied at Flinders you've probably been in a punch up at Y&J's.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I know split scalps always bleed a lot but that seems like a fuckload of blood

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Another shameful example of leftist scum aggresively bleeding on our boys in blue.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
An actual clever ALP (Or indeed LNP) would make a deal with literally any country that was able to hide the transaction. Do deal with country X to resettle the detainees. Boom! problem solved let's move on with our lives. Process the asylum seeker claims properly in external country X. Quietly, but officially, accept them as refugees and secretly fly them to Australia. No worse than lying about boat arrivals that "weren't".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/CFMEU/status/933990821170253824

• Locked thread