Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

jokes posted:

The issue is that the computer is SO good at micro intensive poo poo and chariots are really not that devastating they're mostly just annoying. I can use chariots effectively too but they just straight up aren't gonna be as devastating as cavalry, and you're gonna have to work harder to use them effectively.

The concept is fine, but chariots really should just be single-model units with some support features and not used as a fighting thing. I'd rather a wizard or Lord be on a chariot than have a fleet of Surtha Ek chariots running around being generally annoying before ultimately dying with 30 kills each. Compared to a unit of cavalry that can rack up hundreds of kills in like 2 or 3 charges.

Chariots are in general better than Cavalry if the enemy doesn't have enough high-mass units to block them. It's why chariots are so good against Dwarfs.

e; multiplayer video example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pve-T28oVpE

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Been playing Kroq-Gar in mortal empires and its been a wild ride. This time the AI avoided the dwarf deathball and it was vampire counts who took over almost the entire old world, until they angered the wood elves enough for them to do it instead. Everything north of the desert is now green with minor pockets of dwarfs and empire. Tyrion and Malekith are having their deathwar across the ocean.

This campaign is taking a long time though, I'm fairly frustrated at needing to keep four armies off in the land of assassins because there is not one but two chaos doom tide spawns there. And it seems about every 20 turns another doom tide shows up and it's 12 chaos armies once again. Its been a common complaint, I know, but I think I could have beaten this campaign by now if I could use them all free-reign.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have actually started to come around on the idea of using cold one cavalry units. The ones with spears have both armor piercing damage as well as anti-large so until you can start putting feral carnosaurs into your army, they are a great way to deal with cavalry and other large units.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yeah they don't do normal cavalry functions but they are your best bet for anticavalry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gay Horney posted:

Yeah they don't do normal cavalry functions but they are your best bet for anticavalry.

I've found that they're similar in function to pegasus knights. Not the greatest at charging down troops, but magnificent at interrupting cav and killing them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kainser posted:

Chariots are in general better than Cavalry if the enemy doesn't have enough high-mass units to block them. It's why chariots are so good against Dwarfs.

Are they though? I thought it was because most (all?) chariot factions have access to armor-piercing chariots whereas cavalry are pretty hit or miss on the AP front.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

jokes posted:

Are they though? I thought it was because most (all?) chariot factions have access to armor-piercing chariots whereas cavalry are pretty hit or miss on the AP front.

I unlocked the secrets of chariot battle and they're amazing. You need to micro a lot, but they're unstoppable hell on wheels once you get into a good groove. I usually pause, set chariot targets, let them get their mighty charges off, then I pause again and set their next trajectory out of the enemy line and into another target or into open ground to round for another charge.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Nah, it's definitely because of the mass thing. Dwarfs could do literally nothing to stop chariots from just running all over them in the first game except meleeing them with gyros. It's a bit better in the second game since they can get tormentor's swords on Thanes.

The big counter to chariots (and chariot-like units like Death Hags on the cauldron of blood and Doomwheels) is throwing cavalry or cavalry-esque units like rat ogres on them since they can't just run through them like they do to infantry.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

3 Carnosaurs + 1 Scar-vet Carnosaur vs 5 Hydras is some baller rear end monster movie poo poo :black101:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't like playing as the Empire cause it feels like I'm gonna be using swordsmen and spearmen until the end of time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't like playing as the Empire cause it feels like I'm gonna be using swordsmen and spearmen until the end of time.

Nah, you actually want to switch to Halberds/Greatswords/Gunners ASAP because your main opponents(VC/Chaos) are packed to the gills in armor.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SHISHKABOB posted:

Play long enough to have Gelt head up a panzer steamtank division with rocket battery and gunner support. Magical NATO Empire best Empire.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Swords and spears are good, and are basically stat-identical with halberds, except halberds get AP. Crossbows and handguns are the same.

The idea is that Empire is all about using state troops effectively to control the battlefield and then using your other cooler and better units to win the fight. How to use state troops effectively? Just pick the right ones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Order of pyrotechnics declares war and immediately attacks a walled settlement with 10 hellstorm batteries, 4 steam tanks and a bunch of grenade launcher outriders.

Battle ends in a draw because they couldn't capture anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Swords and spears are good, and are basically stat-identical with halberds, except halberds get AP. Crossbows and handguns are the same.

The idea is that Empire is all about using state troops effectively to control the battlefield and then using your other cooler and better units to win the fight. How to use state troops effectively? Just pick the right ones.

That sounds like Bretonnia, as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All High Elves should start with non-aggression pacts with each other.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Norsca isn't getting added to ME til next year right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gay Horney posted:

Norsca isn't getting added to ME til next year right?

No ETA. Sounds like the way the Norsca team implemented the faction is proving really hard to unravel and slot into ME.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Oh neat, looks like the change to vermintide was made by making the AI count it as a ranged unit debuff.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So quick rundown of the patch changes: they did add Immortality to Old World generic lords/heroes, but they DID NOT update the red trees of those lords, so they're the same as they were in WH1. This is annoying, but there's mods that fix this anyway so it's not a huge deal right now. I hope they do actually go ahead and change the trees, though, because the WH2 standard is really good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gonkish posted:

So quick rundown of the patch changes: they did add Immortality to Old World generic lords/heroes, but they DID NOT update the red trees of those lords, so they're the same as they were in WH1. This is annoying, but there's mods that fix this anyway so it's not a huge deal right now. I hope they do actually go ahead and change the trees, though, because the WH2 standard is really good.

I thought their own releases about this update said that the red trees were in.

E: or is it just LLs?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Legendary lords should stay dead the more times you kill them. The epic Tyrion/Malekith showdown loses importance when you have it 17 times.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Legendary Lords should get some sort of debuff when they die. It would be super fun it Malekith had a chance to terror route or something after getting dunked on by Tyrion.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Just an additional turn delay until you can re-field them for each time they die would be good. Without exaggerating, I've killed Tyrion at least 15 times less than 150 turns in to this game. He needs to be going away for a long time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I killed Morathi and Malekith way too many times in my Mazdamundi playthrough.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I killed Morathi and Malekith way too many times in my Mazdamundi playthrough.

Legendary Vortex campaign as Mazdamundi was such a clusterfuck. Doomstacks from the north, south, and the west if/when the Undead get a whiff of you. Only thing that worked was blitzing Lustria asap, gently caress working with other factions, Great Plan coming through!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Away all Goats posted:

Nah, you actually want to switch to Halberds/Greatswords/Gunners ASAP because your main opponents(VC/Chaos) are packed to the gills in armor.

I liked that I could have actual success fielding pike and shot formations against VC and Chaos. Just halberds, handgunners, and artillery sweeping away the unclean.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Oh my god the little dots around a caster's lore symbol tell you which spells you have the winds to cast :psyboom:

Also I have a couple mods. This one is a really simple one that just cuts settlement build times by 1-2 turns depending on tier.

This one is one of the many that change casters and particularly Teclis (but also Morathi). Unlocks more spells to start with for caster lords, adds a few abilties, changes Morathi's spells up and adds some skills to her and Teclis. There's another one that doesn't add anything new, just unlocks all the caster LL's spells and the first four for generic lords.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JBP posted:

I thought their own releases about this update said that the red trees were in.

E: or is it just LLs?

Yeah, I was thinking so too but then I realized that meant the additional Foundation LL skills, not a red line revamp. Now I'm wondering whether to scrap this probably OP Gelt mod that turns him into a nightmarishly-powerful mage and his personal army into 360-noscope monsters for his Foundation update skill line.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Opted into the beta and giving Helman Ghorst a run, he was already one of my favorite starting lords with 20% faction wide casualty replenishment but the extra skill line is a nice bonus.

In mortal empires his party wagon is unstoppable, on the campaign you can pick up 20% movement speed from his skills, 20% from a banshee in the army and 10% from tech, combined with never waiting to heal up the party never stops.

Started off a legendary campaign by wiping out templehof and then capturing zhufbar and farming the endless rebellions there to get Ghorst 15 for his party wagon, once I got the buildings for ghosts and crypt horrors setup in the capital I gave Ghorst's army a mix of them and sent him on a journey into the mountains to decimate any dwarves he comes across, wind of death will also wipe out entire dwarf units if they line up.

Turn 45 now and own Karaz-a-Karak after marching down from Mount Gunbad, if I get walls up the garrisons can handle most rebellions by themselves but it helps to have someone follow behind Ghorst to keep rebellions down, Grimgore and Vlad are on good terms with me and Vlads owning the empire front so I don't have to deal with that mess.

He is a fun alternative to most vampire lords which just solo armies by themselves, instead he is a corpse cart/mortis engine hybrid that can turn cannon fodder troops into real threats, skeletons and crypt horrors with 100+ melee attack will melt everything in front of them.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 24, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SHISHKABOB posted:

That sounds like Bretonnia, as well.

Well yeah. Bretonnia is a very boring and lame faction to play.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bretonnia is an alright faction with neat mechanics :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm all for cavalry charges and the brutal death of hundreds/thousands of peasants, but it can get old pretty quick. They don't have cool tricks really, or at least not as cool as the rest of the factions.

I liked my first Bretonnian playthrough but I'm never doing that again.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really like the Fay Enchantress as a lord but the rest of the faction is kinda eh.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Bretonnia may be bland, but it's also there to scratch the itch when you want to play an army like you'd find in most of the other Total War games.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

If I only have the second game, is it worth it to get the first to get access to the mortal empire campaign? I'm asking because it's currently 66% off on Steam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will never tire of charging horse and fighting man powering on in the name of the lady..

Also it's a shorter campaign because gently caress chaos, we quest and laugh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LupusAter posted:

If I only have the second game, is it worth it to get the first to get access to the mortal empire campaign? I'm asking because it's currently 66% off on Steam.

Mortal Empires is a half-finished beta with a lot of dumb nonsense.

WH1's campaign is slightly better than the vortex one imo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Never ever EVER let the random armies build up a head of steam. They will always come at you at the worst possible time and they'll have 9 hellstorm batteries or 12 hydras or something equally unfun to fight when they do.

Kill them off when they've just got 4 or 5 and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Buy Warhammer 1 if you really like the idea of one of the races. Otherwise there isn't much point.