Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

NTRabbit posted:

I'm looking forward to Fogarty being available at 12, and the big footy Crows losing their minds as we pick another 2 year rental from Vic Metro

Also, Adelaide Oval has had some upgrades to match Perth

https://twitter.com/TheAdelaideOval/status/933470274770558977
Wasn't Adelaide Oval the first AFL oval to really get into this sort of thing anyway? I guess the main difference is they have it on all tiers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
gently caress me they're dragging this poo poo out

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

Wasn't Adelaide Oval the first AFL oval to really get into this sort of thing anyway? I guess the main difference is they have it on all tiers now.

I think so. Also, they made the lighting more complicated and responsive I believe, lots of new ones in the roofs, previously the electronic hoardings were advanced but the lights were more simplistic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Port takes Dom Barry

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

38 senior players because of cap issues, wonderful

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
charlie spargo, great name. harrison petty is also a good one.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snaeksikn posted:

charlie spargo, great name. harrison petty is also a good one.

Zerk-Thatcher has to be up there

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Testekill posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Port takes Dom Barry

Port really going all in on the “players who couldn’t make it at Melbourne” strategy, they’re like Carlton to our GWS

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton got the 2014 #15 pick for pick 78. Left GC Suns because he was homesick. Wow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seems like half the league has decided to go in with 39 players and save the salary cap for free agency raids next year. Free agency sure has been a boon to the careers of the average players in the league, just as promised.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints didn't draft a player named Jack. 0/10

But seriously, I'm pretty happy with our selections. Clark gives us another dynamic line breaking mid that can win their own ball while Coffield is fast, can play off the half back or mid and is one of the best kicks in the draft. That fits the bill for what our key needs were. Getting a key defender with pick 35 also gives us some developing depth for Brown (who is getting old) and Goddard (who has had serious injury issues).

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Zerk-Thatcher has to be up there

Sounds like a character from Coneheads

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
North picked up Hartung with pic 77.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Periphery posted:

Saints didn't draft a player named Jack. 0/10

But seriously, I'm pretty happy with our selections. Clark gives us another dynamic line breaking mid that can win their own ball while Coffield is fast, can play off the half back or mid and is one of the best kicks in the draft. That fits the bill for what our key needs were. Getting a key defender with pick 35 also gives us some developing depth for Brown (who is getting old) and Goddard (who has had serious injury issues).

How accurate were the bios that they gave the draftees?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Periphery posted:

North picked up Hartung with pic 77.

Well he's no Jed Anderson

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

How accurate were the bios that they gave the draftees?

On the AFL website or on the broadcast? not super sure cause I don't have in-depth knowledge of the draft but I'd guess the ones on the AFL Draft Tracker site are pretty good (or at least they seem alright from what I've read about the Saints draftees).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

On the broadcast every player drafted today was an elite good story top bloke destined to be a champion

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Periphery posted:

On the AFL website or on the broadcast? not super sure cause I don't have in-depth knowledge of the draft but I'd guess the ones on the AFL Draft Tracker site are pretty good (or at least they seem alright from what I've read about the Saints draftees).

Yeah, the draft tracker. I think someone else said it was rubbish though.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, the draft tracker. I think someone else said it was rubbish though.

Yeah, I think that was Testekill complaining about the writeup on Naughton which said he was a 'penetrating and accurate kick' which seems to somewhat contradict some of the stuff out there about him that I've seen. For example, AFL Draft Central (an independent draft info source) and Knightmare (a bigfooty hack who now writes for ESPN) both list kicking as a weakness of his, but more in terms of general technique or style (long loopy kicks) and not that it's super horrible as a rule.

My general theory with reading draft profiles is to read a few different ones, average out the good and the bad parts and then ignore it all cause ultimately, apart from players taken at the real top end of the draft, it often means very little when they get to AFL level.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Seems like half the league has decided to go in with 39 players and save the salary cap for free agency raids next year. Free agency sure has been a boon to the careers of the average players in the league, just as promised.

This was obvious years ago. It always made me shake my head when the AFLPA talked about how it was "good for players" that free agency gives players a chance to seek bigger contracts elsewhere, seemingly failingto realise that they're playing in a system with a salary cap and that every time an elite player gets a $300k pay rise, another player drops out of the system altogether.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

realbez posted:

This made me think of Sonique media player for the first time since about 2003

Clicked the link soley because of this comment, was not disappointed

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Testekill posted:

Coffield looked so flat about not making it to the doggies

From his interviews I think he always looks like that. Word is we had basically told him we would select him if he was available so he would have already known.

Still must be a little heartbreaking to be one pick away from the team you support.

cmndstab posted:

This was obvious years ago. It always made me shake my head when the AFLPA talked about how it was "good for players" that free agency gives players a chance to seek bigger contracts elsewhere, seemingly failingto realise that they're playing in a system with a salary cap and that every time an elite player gets a $300k pay rise, another player drops out of the system altogether.

I think the idea is really to facilitate easier player movement. The problem is that even having a restricted status throws that idea in the toilet as 80% of the players moving in that bracket will be highly sought after and will likely just be matched so a trade is forced instead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Who here is a club or AFL member? I'm going to a membership forum next week for Carlton where they're asking how they want things to be restructured in the future.

Mind posting what benefits a membership brings you, other than entry into games? I heard that Essendon club members get 10% off membership costs if they let it auto-renew which is a good idea. Carlton basically gives you 10% off items at the shop and some other minor/promotional benefits.

I’ve got a Saints membership because it is maybe $10 more than the WatchAFL pass by itself to also get a membership pack and some goodies. There’s I think a discount at the club shop, and some members-only items. I’m pretty sure they do the “save by rolling over” thing too. I also like that it gives me more interest when watching AFL, and some stuff to wear to practice.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

AFL Draft day! I am unreasonably excited about seeing West Coast draft key position players and half back flankers instead of a midfielder or anyone with pace

Nailed it!

Though we did draft someone with the combine 20m sprint fastest time, but he's apparently pretty new to football so a complete unknown.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

ZombieJesus posted:

Nailed it!

Though we did draft someone with the combine 20m sprint fastest time, but he's apparently pretty new to football so a complete unknown.

Someone on Bigfooty grouped our mids as follows:

Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Masten, Jetta, Gaff, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Duggan, Yeo, Petrucelle, Venables, Partington, Mutimer.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

That list also assumes Yeo and Duggan are mids.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

Clicked the link soley because of this comment, was not disappointed

death to winamp bloatware

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Big fan of these videos, keep em coming every November

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/934704422587793409

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Big fan of these videos, keep em coming every November

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/934164888447885312

https://twitter.com/TigersFC_/status/934248844375629830

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Can people please stop posting snuff videos of Freo destroying peoples lives? TIA.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Here's a good video and article on footy in a small rural town:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-27/corryong-town-divided-by-love-of-aussie-rules-footy/9103024

quote:

For many Australian country towns, traditional rivalry between the football and netball clubs forms the beating heart of the community.

But in Corryong in north-east Victoria, local rivalry has taken on a whole new meaning.

A short drive from the Murray River, Corryong has just two football teams. And they share the same oval.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Billy Gowers to the Bulldogs with our non Roarke Smith pick. Pretty happy with him because he knows our system thanks to playing VFL for Footscray the past year and he's constantly tackling in the forward line which means that he's an upgrade on Stringer in that sense.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Testekill posted:

Billy Gowers to the Bulldogs with our non Roarke Smith pick. Pretty happy with him because he knows our system thanks to playing VFL for Footscray the past year and he's constantly tackling in the forward line which means that he's an upgrade on Stringer in that sense.

Also ahead of Stringer in the sense he is probably the same age as the schoolgirls he hosed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I looked at the completed rookie draft on the AFL website and filtered by club, was surprised to learn we'd drafted Sam Shaw and Ben Jarman for the second season in a row

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Between the drafts we added 4 South Australians, and one Victorian kid who has been on our development squad all year, not at all a reaction to Vic Metro kids loving off whenever they feel like it

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Deep into soft drink discussion season and yet NTRabbit is still as salty as a jockstrap.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Adelaide discussion banned please

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Can't talk about Bickford's if you ban Adelaide discussion :colbert:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I really like the changes to the rookie list which lets them play from day 1; it really gives the mature state leaguers more of a chance to pitch in when they don't have to wait for an injury. So stoked for David Mirra to finally get his chance after being a VFL champion for the last 5 odd years.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Nah Crows chat is fine, just lose the chip on the shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

I really like the changes to the rookie list which lets them play from day 1; it really gives the mature state leaguers more of a chance to pitch in when they don't have to wait for an injury. So stoked for David Mirra to finally get his chance after being a VFL champion for the last 5 odd years.

We are finally giving Mirra a chance!? I hope he goes well, he deserves it. I confess I was a bit worried that it was at the dogs after you mentioned it, I hadn’t looked at the preseason or rookie drafts yet.

• Locked thread