Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pretty good deal at home depot on the ryobi brushless drill kit and a free tool. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Gift-Center-Tiered-Tool-Offer-Tiered-Tool-Ryobi-Free-Tool/N-5yc1vZcik4

The only hard part is choosing which tool I want to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

Any recommendations on sprayers for putting down stains, dyes, oils & urethane, and paint? I need to do some large format work, like door size or even larger, which is going to involve both water-based dye and then an oil & urethane top coat. And then later, I need to paint some actual doors, and MUCH later, probably going to be painting about a mile of trim. Looking for a good sprayer for the job.

You can get by the small stuff with an air-assisted cup gun or hvlp, but knowing you're going to do a big project, I'd recommend an airless. I've got a Graco Magnum ProX9, which will do a mile of trim without having to reload every 10 minutes. Also, it's kind of hard to push paint through a cup gun or hvlp, in my experience.The Amazon price is about twice what I paid for a refurb off eBay, or you might get lucky with an airless off CL if you know what you're looking for. Painters are a funny lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okay, so this is how I'm currently attaching an adapter to my router table so I can get some decent dust collection going:

Obviously this is stupid. And it doesn't even work very well, because the dust collection port has a tiny surface area for the tape to adhere to, while the 4" dust collection hose puts a ton of leverage on the whole thing, so eventually it just sort of peels off. The problem is that the small end of the adapter is the same diameter as the port on the dust collector. I searched all over Home Depot for a bit of pipe or something that could fit as a coupler, and no dice.

I must be missing something obvious, but short of sticking another length of hose on there, I'm not sure how I can get the adapter securely connected to the port.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
What size is the small side?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Send me a decent drawing with dimensions, and I'll print one in ABS. SERIOUSLY. Username at Gmail or a PM.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
:doh: I knew I forgot something. It's 2.25" inner diameter. The outer diameters are about 2.4" for the adapter and just under 2.5" for the port.

sharkytm posted:

Send me a decent drawing with dimensions, and I'll print one in ABS. SERIOUSLY. Username at Gmail or a PM.

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it. But I find it kind of inconceivable that there isn't an existing product to do this.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What’s better for splitting medium-sized logs for firewood, an axe or a maul? Currently considering these two:

Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul, 36 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014M9LQGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_163bAb8FC8YHX

Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M3BAQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q73bAbVJES64W

Having a fire pit installed in the coming year and I expect to be going through a fair amount.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Re: dust collector

You can't just use this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TWQDG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_o.3bAb8A8RXAM

As far as splitting wood, it depends. If it's small pieces, the splitting axe. If you're going to be hitting some larger hardwoods, the maul works better.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 11, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

The Midniter posted:

What’s better for splitting medium-sized logs for firewood, an axe or a maul? Currently considering these two:

Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul, 36 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014M9LQGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_163bAb8FC8YHX

Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M3BAQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q73bAbVJES64W

Having a fire pit installed in the coming year and I expect to be going through a fair amount.

The super splitting axe is awesome. It's far lighter than a maul, and does a great job with splitting. If you need the weight to use a splitting wedge, get a sledgehammer. I've got an 8# maul and the SSA, and the maul gets used like three times a year.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:doh: I knew I forgot something. It's 2.25" inner diameter. The outer diameters are about 2.4" for the adapter and just under 2.5" for the port.

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it. But I find it kind of inconceivable that there isn't an existing product to do this.

No problem. Drop me a line if you want one printed.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Any recommendations on sprayers for putting down stains, dyes, oils & urethane, and paint? I need to do some large format work, like door size or even larger, which is going to involve both water-based dye and then an oil & urethane top coat. And then later, I need to paint some actual doors, and MUCH later, probably going to be painting about a mile of trim. Looking for a good sprayer for the job.

I don't know about oil based paints, but for latex paints, the harbor freight "klaus and becker" airless sprayer is absolutely tits.

I've used mine on four occasions to primer and paint my detached garage, side of my house I replaced some windows on, and front porch, as well as lent it out to my brother to do his shed, and it's been absolutely awesome every time. I know it violates the prime directive of harbor freight, don't buy anything with a plug, but it's seriously saved my butt on more than one occasion and I can't find a single thing I don't like about it. Seriously. I spent an entire day hand painting one side of my garage, and it only took a couple of hours to primer and and paint the entire thing with the airless sprayer

I wouldn't buy any paint sprayers off Craigslist by the way. If you don't thoroughly clean it after every single use, without exception, they're toast, and there's no way to test that on a Craigslist buy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hm, that might work. The big question is how thick the walls are; there's very little space between the outside wall of the port and the back of the router table's fence. But that's a much better bet than anything else commercial I've seen so far. Thanks.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't know about oil based paints, but for latex paints, the harbor freight "klaus and becker" airless sprayer is absolutely tits.

I've used mine on four occasions to primer and paint my detached garage, side of my house I replaced some windows on, and front porch, as well as lent it out to my brother to do his shed, and it's been absolutely awesome every time. I know it violates the prime directive of harbor freight, don't buy anything with a plug, but it's seriously saved my butt on more than one occasion and I can't find a single thing I don't like about it. Seriously. I spent an entire day hand painting one side of my garage, and it only took a couple of hours to primer and and paint the entire thing with the airless sprayer
Agree, except Idk anything about the Harbor Freight model, but their quality on some items is par with the known brands. I can vouch for their brick & tile saw. I know Home Depot was selling some lovely airlesses. Wagner I'd stay tf away from.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I wouldn't buy any paint sprayers off Craigslist by the way. If you don't thoroughly clean it after every single use, without exception, they're toast, and there's no way to test that on a Craigslist buy.

Disagree. You clean the tip, you're good; you can leave material in the lines for days, or sometimes longer depending. Also, for CL, you go to the person's place and fire the unit up. Granted, buying new removes that headache, and also GREAT GREAT BARGAINS. Painters are the biggest flakes in construction, they'll let their gear go for chump change sometimes.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

The super splitting axe is awesome. It's far lighter than a maul, and does a great job with splitting. If you need the weight to use a splitting wedge, get a sledgehammer. I've got an 8# maul and the SSA, and the maul gets used like three times a year.

I'm the exact opposite. I've got that maul and the estwing 4# fireside friend maul, and between the two of them, my axe and hatchet barely get used. The maul is definitely overkill for anything smaller than like 6in diameter, but I'm lazy and would rather swing that every time than keep track of the axe and use both. For smaller stuff, I can basically just drop the maul on it and let gravity do most of the work.

Mind you, I am using it on slices of tree from my woods, not making already split wood smaller.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

stealie72 posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I've got that maul and the estwing 4# fireside friend maul, and between the two of them, my axe and hatchet barely get used. The maul is definitely overkill for anything smaller than like 6in diameter, but I'm lazy and would rather swing that every time than keep track of the axe and use both. For smaller stuff, I can basically just drop the maul on it and let gravity do most of the work.

Mind you, I am using it on slices of tree from my woods, not making already split wood smaller.

The SSA isn't a normal axe. It's got a wedge. It works way way better than I expected, and it doesn't tire me out because it's so much lighter. The force comes from speed, not mass. I split rounds too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

The SSA isn't a normal axe. It's got a wedge. It works way way better than I expected, and it doesn't tire me out because it's so much lighter. The force comes from speed, not mass. I split rounds too.

Well poo poo, the pic with it in the plastic holster thing made it look like it has the same head geometry as the fiskars hatchet, which doesn't have much of a wedge. Carry on.

Edit: to clarify, I have the hatchet and it's the best hatchet I've ever used.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 12, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Edit: to clarify, I have the hatchet and it's the best hatchet I've ever used.

Hell yeah it is. They're a staple among me and my buddies for camping trips, and we've taken down some seriously impressive standing deadwood trees using nothing but them (and some time.)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got the hatchet too, it's taken a huge amount of abuse and hasn't failed me yet. I'm a big Fiskars fan, their post-hole digger is the only one I've ever used that didn't make me want to bury the tool instead of the post.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Okay, so one vote for axe and one for maul. Anyone else have an opinion?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I'll second the Super Splitter. I've used plenty of both mauls and axes, and after I bought an SSA, I bought a second one so my wife and I could both split at the same time. I'll never again pick up a maul as my first option. And if I can't split it with the SSA, I'll probably need to split it with a chainsaw anyway.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

One Legged Ninja posted:

I'll second the Super Splitter. I've used plenty of both mauls and axes, and after I bought an SSA, I bought a second one so my wife and I could both split at the same time. I'll never again pick up a maul as my first option. And if I can't split it with the SSA, I'll probably need to split it with a chainsaw anyway.

I'll fourth it. Amazon informs me I bought the X27 in 2013, so four years of splitting duty and no complaints yet.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Screw it, I'm getting the splitting axe too. It sounds awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

stealie72 posted:

Screw it, I'm getting the splitting axe too. It sounds awesome.

LOL. Yup, it's worth it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Welp, that decision’s been made. Thanks everyone!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hm, that might work. The big question is how thick the walls are; there's very little space between the outside wall of the port and the back of the router table's fence. But that's a much better bet than anything else commercial I've seen so far. Thanks.

That's what I use, but on miter saw rather than router (so fitting geometry is less of a concern).

That's just a flex coupling you should be able to find in a variety of sizes at your local hardware store if you want to check it out and/or have the option of returning it.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 13, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Midniter posted:

Welp, that decision’s been made. Thanks everyone!

Probably too late, but forget the axe for splitting wood, use the hammer instead:

https://youtu.be/4-RhakR3Hg8
(1:30 for the action :pervert:)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKU8Z0Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_G9ycAb4JKADAD

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

Probably too late, but forget the axe for splitting wood, use the hammer instead:

For kindling in a fixed location, that looks like a nice tool. I use my Fiskars hatchet for that, but I've certainly gotten closer to my fingers than I'd like before.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

if you have access to a welder, a large pipe ring, some metal scraps and an old axe head can give you the same thing.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

That's what I use, but on miter saw rather than router (so fitting geometry I'd less of a concern).

That's just a flex coupling you should be able to find in a variety of sizes at your local hardware store if you want to check it out and/or have the option of returning it.

I've had the issue that 2-1/2" is kind of a hard to find size. I don't know about in every area.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a recommendation for a small-ish generator?

I would need it to run the fridge and some entertainment, mostly. So I don't think it would need to be a 3k monstrosity.

(I don't know how I would hook up the furnace or the water heater, but we have a wood stove so heat wouldn't be the biggest issue. Keeping food from spoiling is.)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Honda. I've got an eu2000i, and it's light enough to carry with one hand and runs for hours on half a gallon.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Thank you for the quick reply. I should have also added that I'm looking for a cheap generator, lol.

Eventually down the line I'll definitely invest in a good generator, but I'm busted from moving and just looking to avoid days without electricity. Last week cost us $250 in groceries going bad. :(

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Thank you for the quick reply. I should have also added that I'm looking for a cheap generator, lol.

Eventually down the line I'll definitely invest in a good generator, but I'm busted from moving and just looking to avoid days without electricity. Last week cost us $250 in groceries going bad. :(

That covered 1/4 the cost of an eu2000. Honda makes generators, everyone else makes toys.

If you want cheap, then there are other inverter units that are pretty much knockoffs of the Honda. HF has one for $500. https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html
Buy the extended warranty. There are zero parts available AFAIK, so if anything breaks, you're left guessing at what crossreference parts from some actually-supported generator will fit.

Here: lots of opinions, mostly agreeing with me.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373095&highlight=generator&showall=1

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 14, 2017

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Anyone have any recommendations for auto darkening welding goggles?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV E- Well it didn't literally mean goggles, but thanks for that.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 24, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, a mask.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I've been pretty happy with https://store.cyberweld.com/jabasaaudawe.html, but I don't have a lot of experience with other helmets to compare it against

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have no complaints about the hobart I bought at tractor supply one weekend when my old mask died. Has all the controls and nice big glass. Worked great for the eclipse, too.

e:

TheBananaKing posted:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV E- Well it didn't literally mean goggles, but thanks for that.

I mean, you say that, but it's really a thing:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 24, 2017

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like this Rhino. It has a large viewing area, which I love. https://www.amazon.com/RHINO-LARGE-...g=weldstarav-20

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I want to be able to hang doors in my house (where the frame is already in place). What sort of tool do I need in order to cut out the correct shapes for the hinges in order to attach them to doors? Do handymen use chisels or is there some sort of Dremel attachment that would work better? I have only ever hung doors where the hinges were pre-attached, so this is a new thing for me.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 24, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you're doing a whole bunch you need a trim router and to make yourself a template. If you're doing 1 or 2 just sharpen your chisel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tadashi posted:

I want to be able to hang doors in my house (where the frame is already in place). What sort of tool do I need in order to cut out the correct shapes for the hinges in order to attach them to doors? Do handymen use chisels or is there some sort of Dremel attachment that would work better? I have only ever hung doors where the hinges were pre-attached, so this is a new thing for me.

To expand on the router method, you need specifically a router with a base rub collar (not the collet) attachment and a straight bit. You can make a jig from plywood scrap and you'll want to experiment on scraps. Typically for a straight 1/2" router bit the collar will have something like 3/32" clearance around it. So for 3 1/2" door butts (hinges) you'd have a height on the inside cut area of the jig of 3 11/16". Seeing as the jambs are already there, you'll need to tack on an offset to the jig to allow for the doorstops.

edit- then you'll really need to get that sucker centered for each cut where the hinge will go. Eyeballing is not recommended. Some 4d finish nails in the plywood jig to tack to the jamb.