Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Norns posted:

Are those scuf controllers any good?
I have one and like it quite a bit. It's the kind with the re-mappable paddles which is great for shootymans games so you don't have to take your thumb off the right stick to jump/slide. I'd call it a good compromise between a regular DS4 and going full XIM, especially if you're useless with KB+M like I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So has anyone here played ELEX on a standard PS4? I'm curious how stable the FPS is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

spasticColon posted:

If they sold one like that I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think I'll just get the magma red.

If you are in EU, there are a bunch of great colours to choose from. Nacon is selling transparent wired gamepads that look great too:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I wish they'd patch VR for it. On PC it's loving insane with VR.

This is about the first thought I had after getting a PSVR last year. It would be perfect for it. Unfortunately it's Sega and it sold bad so there is probably not a chance in hell. Imo it would be a good way for them to get some extra sales out of it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guillermus posted:

If you are in EU, there are a bunch of great colours to choose from. Nacon is selling transparent wired gamepads that look great too:

:thunk:

Uh. You don't happen to be a 13 year old time traveling from the 90s do you?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I got an amazon card for my birthday and I was thinking about getting a ps vr, does it only work with vr games because I want it to play Ace of Seafood

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

With the rubber on several of my controllers going out, are there any stick covers y'all would recommend?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

plz dont pull out posted:

With the rubber on several of my controllers going out, are there any stick covers y'all would recommend?

I have these and they work well enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NSLGW2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_rmhgAbVVZVHC3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Buccaneer posted:

I got an amazon card for my birthday and I was thinking about getting a ps vr, does it only work with vr games because I want it to play Ace of Seafood

You can use it to play 2D games on a big low-res screen floating in a black void. It's not really an improvement over a TV (unless you're watching a 3D Blu-Ray). Only games specifically made for VR take full advantage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Had to put together a list of PS4 games for Christmas quickly and I realized there's actually not a whole lot out there. There are games I have but haven't gotten around to yet or the rest are coming out next year.

It came out to:
Horizon
Shadow of War
AC Origins

I want Sonic Mania too but that's a digital buy so not something I can put on a list for someone to get for me physically. Spider-Man comes out next year. Dragon Ball Fighterz comes out next year. We'll see if Virtual On ever gets a translation or English release but that'd be next year again.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DrNutt posted:

I was a thirteen year old in the nineties, and I was wrong about a lot of things. But one thing I was not wrong about; See through electronics look rad as hell. Another thing 13 year old me wasnt wrong about was that Here Comes the Hotstepper is a loving tune, but thats less relevant to the current discussion.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

You can use it to play 2D games on a big low-res screen floating in a black void. It's not really an improvement over a TV (unless you're watching a 3D Blu-Ray). Only games specifically made for VR take full advantage.

Does it have the option to show the full screen or just that weird theater mode

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SiKboy posted:

Another thing 13 year old me wasnt wrong about was that Here Comes the Hotstepper is a loving tune

MURDERAH

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Buccaneer posted:

Does it have the option to show the full screen or just that weird theater mode

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean can it just lock the image to use the entire screen that wouldn't really work like that. It would just make you sick and look like poo poo.

Theater mode is pretty cool for movies once in a while because it does pretty successfully emulate looking at a huge theater screen and it can do 3D blu rays. It's ok for 2D games in small bursts but the screen is just too big for me to play them competently and it's decidedly lower res than just playing on a 1080p TV.

The theater stuff is cool and nice to have but I'd expect to spend 90%+ of your time using it for actual VR developed stuff instead of a multi purpose device, unless movies are a big draw for you. Personally I still usually just watch movies on my TV.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I will watch some videos to see how it looks, hopefully you can zoom in on the theater screen or something because seeing blank space or whatever around it doesnt appeal to me and there arent a lot of vr games I want to play yet besides super hot and resident evil 7

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I thought I remembered something about the PSVR not playing well with the Pro, or with HDR, or something similar. Is that still the case?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

No, but the child inside me misses some poo poo from the 90's. Also, you can see the rumble working on these!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Give me frosted controllers, or give me death!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I know we've probably talked about it to death, but, Prey on PS4 is fine yes?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

Hmmmm I dunno. The load times are woeful. To me it feels like it has some weird acceleration / input lag but a lot of people say it's gone. There's a demo on the store you can try.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Crows Turn Off posted:

I thought I remembered something about the PSVR not playing well with the Pro, or with HDR, or something similar. Is that still the case?

The processing box doesn't pass HDR. Sony recently released a refreshed version of PSVR that fixes that problem with a new box. The Skyrim VR and Doom VFR bundles use those new headsets.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/142425-sony-psvr-2-coming-with-hdr-passthrough-and-built-in-headphones

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Harlock posted:

I finished it a couple of weeks ago in a basic PS4. Played nicely for me, no real slowdown. I had read it had long load times but they felt pretty PS3-era to me so no complaints. Might have been improved with patching by the time I got to it though.

Nice game that I enjoyed a good deal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Buccaneer posted:

I will watch some videos to see how it looks, hopefully you can zoom in on the theater screen or something because seeing blank space or whatever around it doesnt appeal to me and there arent a lot of vr games I want to play yet besides super hot and resident evil 7

You aren't really imagining how it works correctly. It's something that is easier to understand once you actually look at it vs having it explained. You can choose multiple sizes. The biggest size is like nearly IMAX and you can't even see the entire screen without looking around. It uses the head tracking so the best way to describe it is that it's literally like sitting in a totally black theater about 10 seats back.

If it used the entire screen it would be like pressing your face up against a tv and it would make you sick because of the lack of head tracking

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

it's a bit surreal and hard to explain but it quite literally does feel like you're in a huge movie theater. That said it's not exactly much of an improvement

One year PS+ is still $40 on amazon FYI

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nioh is £13 atm at Argos but is apparently out of stock everywhere hmmm... 🤔

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

$25 for Persona 5 at Target. Couldn't pass that one up.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Trying to decide between:

Persona 5
Nier
Watch Dogs 2
Final Fantasy XV

They are all super cheap right now and I actually liked the first watch dogs. I liked Persona 4 but never beat it. Only played a bit of Final Fantasy X and XIV. Nier looks intriguiging but I am not sure about playing through the campaign twice. Is it as grindy as it sounds?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nier isn't really grindy but it's so repetitive it might as well be. Watch Dogs 2 isn't anything too special but it's fun and a big improvement over the first ( I didn't hate the first one either)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

NNick posted:

Trying to decide between:

Persona 5
Nier
Watch Dogs 2
Final Fantasy XV

They are all super cheap right now and I actually liked the first watch dogs. I liked Persona 4 but never beat it. Only played a bit of Final Fantasy X and XIV. Nier looks intriguiging but I am not sure about playing through the campaign twice. Is it as grindy as it sounds?

Don’t get FF XV

Nier is not grindy and you’re not “playing through the campaign twice” in the usual sense of NG+. Whether you’ll like it depends on whether Yoko Taro’s storytelling combined with Platinum Games’ gameplay interests you at all. Personally, I think it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time.

Can’t really comment on P5 or Watch Dogs.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Oneiros posted:

Nier is not grindy and you’re not “playing through the campaign twice” in the usual sense of NG+. Whether you’ll like it depends on whether Yoko Taro’s storytelling combined with Platinum Games’ gameplay interests you at all. Personally, I think it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time.

As much as I enjoyed Nier, it doesn't have typical Platinum Games style combat and I would have maybe enjoyed it more if I didn't go in with the expectations which that studios name carries

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Combat in Nier becomes super boring about halfway through, because you can just mash one button forever and kill everything, and on the next difficulty you die in 2 hits.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

CrRoMa posted:

As much as I enjoyed Nier, it doesn't have typical Platinum Games style combat and I would have maybe enjoyed it more if I didn't go in with the expectations which that studios name carries

It has exactly Platinum Games style combat, just people don't pay attention to how mediocre a surprising amount of Platinum's content has been. It's no Revengeance or Bayonetta, combat wise.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I found the combat in Nier so boring because there was no complexity to it, I don't know how it would have worked but I'd have loved a Bayonetta/DMC/Viewtiful Joe style rating system

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

i thought Nier was an all around ok game

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Unreal_One posted:

It has exactly Platinum Games style combat, just people don't pay attention to how mediocre a surprising amount of Platinum's content has been. It's no Revengeance or Bayonetta, combat wise.

I've played both Bayonettas, Vanquish, MGS:R and I'll chuck in God Hand and both Viewtiful Joes as well since they are kind of from the same seed. That's a set of games with incredible combat systems which were the most interesting parts of the games for me personally. I can't comment on their other games but Niers combat was utterly bland in comparison.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah imagine a bunch of people saying the next Mario Kart would have the Need For Speed dev team working on it and then the game came out and the driving mechanics are worse than if you’d just been a new Mario Kart.

Neir: Automata was dramatically overhyped here and like the above poster, I’m someone who SSS ranks these kinds of action/brawlers so in comparison to any other Platinum* game their might as well not even be a combat system. The storyline does actually go cool places, but the combat is basically just window dressing.

*I skipped Avatar, Transformers, and TMNT because I don’t waste money on movie tie-ins

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Moves that take effort and skill in other platinum games happen automatically as long as you keep button mashing in nier. The combat is visually impressive but is mechanically about as deep as yakuza games.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Horizon talk, i wasnt expecting this, im doing a new game + run and they sort of merged the narrative of the expansion with the base game, like, they seem to reference each other depending on where you are in the story.
Its been a couple lines of dialogue so far, but it does make the expansion feel more integrated, as if it has always been there, cool stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's actually much shallower than Yakuza 0's combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bust Rodd posted:

*I skipped literally everything they've made since 2014 because I don’t waste money on movie tie-ins

And this is where my surprisingly mediocre Platinum argument comes from.