Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I too had a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, but thankfully I have no need to load a VW bus with shovels and axes and implements of destruction and garbage.

Also the route to my grandma's place, where we used to go for Thanksgiving, has a dump along the way. Always closed on Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have no need to load a VW bus with shovels and axes and implements of destruction and garbage.

Listen I told you 1: that I already sold the bus (don't blow my alibi) and 2: that I don't want to kill her (DON'T BLOW MY ALIBI).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm thankful Thanksgiving is a U.S-centric thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Listen I told you 1: that I already sold the bus (don't blow my alibi) and 2: that I don't want to kill her (DON'T BLOW MY ALIBI).

You've been hanging around with the father-rapers on the Group W bench for too long.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rhyno posted:

Family pride is important to a lot of people. Continuing the family name and such.

Were hyphenating our surnames when we get married. Lol who cares. The real lols are when our double-barreled kids go to marry someone else with a double-barreled surname. What do they do then? Who cares not my problem

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're in San Francisco, I recommend checking out Alice's Restaurant. Breakfast is pretty good and the place is pretty AI, there's usually a few interesting cars in the lot.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Were hyphenating our surnames when we get married. Lol who cares. The real lols are when our double-barreled kids go to marry someone else with a double-barreled surname. What do they do then? Who cares not my problem

I hope they keep adding them with more hyphens.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
rear end in a top hat coworker retired yesterday, and to top it all off, I get his locker. :smug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nice.

Anyone familiar with 7th gen civic hybrids? My wife is killing her diesel with short journeys and I see a bunch of these around for under £2k.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you not get a deal on a Toyota?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

General_Failure posted:

25.75L/100km from a 1.6L engine? loving kill me now. Shouldn't it be blowing smoke and drops of raw fuel, and have oil contaminated enough to run the engine off? Worst efficiency ever from the Niva, and that's after all the U joints were greased, two replaced, and two CVs rebuilt. It definitely rolls better than ever but goddamn what?

Don't they average like 10-12l/100? How is that even possible without some kind of serious secondary symptoms?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Can you not get a deal on a Toyota?

Not a good one, can't afford a new car either. A prius+ would be ideal but £12k minimum.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I like the idea that when I get married my fiancée will take my name but it's just personal preference and a happy coincidence she thinks the same.
If she didn't want to take my name then I'd be a little bummed but it's hypocritical to want someone else to change without being prepared to do so yourself

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!
It's me, I'm the guy who bought an SS.

2017 Orange Blast automatic, just got the tint put on and the wheels powder coated black.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice choice, manual or auto?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Love that color, love that car.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

janitorx posted:

2017 Orange Blast automatic, just got the tint put on and the wheels powder coated black.

A car enthusiast who actually bought a car they were interested in? I call BS. :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

janitorx posted:

Insanely jealous rn

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fridge corn posted:

The real lols are when our double-barreled kids go to marry someone else with a double-barreled surname. What do they do then?

They could do it patriarchally like Spanish countries, keep their own and give kids different composite surnames: A-B + C-D -> A-C. Though even there parents can decide which 2 of the 4 the kid will get.

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!

BraveUlysses posted:

nice choice, manual or auto?

Auto, there were no manuals left in the DFW area by the time I decided to get one, also my new commute is 80% stop and go traffic versus like 20% so I was leaning towards my next car being an auto anyways.

It was a close race between the SS and the 2018 Golf R, but it being the last year the SS are being made, and the 20% off deal + a $700 Costco gift card won me over.

I'm really liking the Orange, the pictures on the dealer site were taken with a Sony Mavica or something and I'd never seen that color in person so I wasn't too sure about it when I went to check it out. I'm blacking out the bowties and have black center caps on order, then I'm done appearance wise for now. The parts people were really pushing the Holden badges they had left in stock but I don't want to Aussie it out like that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

They could do it patriarchally like Spanish countries, keep their own and give kids different composite surnames: A-B + C-D -> A-C. Though even there parents can decide which 2 of the 4 the kid will get.

A better idea is the Icelandic system

Jón’s son = Jónsson
Jón’s daughter = Jónsdottír

I guess some use the mother’s first name for the daughter and the fathers first name for the son but it varies

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Driving home from Virginia, 13 hours drive yay.

Silver lining is the LS is a loving road magician, best road trip car ever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nice.

Anyone familiar with 7th gen civic hybrids? My wife is killing her diesel with short journeys and I see a bunch of these around for under £2k.

You know all those fake rumors of having to replace prius batteries really early? Honda hybrids are actually like that from what I gather.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

We should just take our mom’s last name. That’s who gave birth to us. Problem solved.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Nice SS! Do you plan on any other mods in the short term? I am still salty about the dealer I ordered from selling my SS out from under me, so with no other manuals available within a 200 mile radius, I didn't end up in one. It is good to see someone happy in theirs, at least.

I did not expect there to be much in the way of discounts on limited slip diffs for my Fiesta ST, but when I saw 10% off for the Wavetrac, I jumped on it. So much for not spending any money on it this year.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

You know all those fake rumors of having to replace prius batteries really early? Honda hybrids are actually like that from what I gather.

Can confirm - mine was replaced in the first 2 years. They also constantly reprogrammed the battery management so that it ended up getting about 25% worse mileage than it did when it was new. It left me a little bitter about Hondas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, Honda flubbed that generation of hybrid Civic pretty poorly. Though at that price I'm not sure how much it matters.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, Honda flubbed that generation of hybrid Civic pretty poorly. Though at that price I'm not sure how much it matters.

He's in england IIRC, so the lights that come on will likely fail MOT even if the car still goes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

janitorx posted:

Auto, there were no manuals left in the DFW area by the time I decided to get one, also my new commute is 80% stop and go traffic versus like 20% so I was leaning towards my next car being an auto anyways.

Sup DFW goon. Nice SS!

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm leaning heavily toward going automatic on my next car as well. Partly because to get a manual in most commuter cars, you pretty much have to opt for the base model now. And I want poo poo like bluetooth, keyless entry, sunroof, etc. Also, I spend up to 10 hours a day in DFW traffic. :argh: My left leg could probably bench press a couple of goons at this point.

nm posted:

Seemed true on the Insight, at least. Coworker of mine had to replace his at 60k, and again around 130k. Someone put that car out of its misery when they t-boned him.

Same coworker bought his Prius around 120k, and the PO had the battery replaced at the dealer shortly before selling it (it's very rare for them to die that early though). It was still on the 2nd battery when he sold it at 300k.

The upside is most Honda hybrids could be had with 3 pedals, so you could at least have a little bit of fun with them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 24, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Jón’s son = Jónsson

I guess some use the mother’s first name for the daughter and the fathers first name for the son but it varies

Is there a way to indicate using some variant of Junior that a daughter is named after her mother?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kimbo305 posted:

Is there a way to indicate using some variant of Junior that a daughter is named after her mother?

I worked with a Jessica Junior so uh, just do that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But how do I know it's the mom and not the dad?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well I mean if the dad is named Jessica, uh..

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dad was named Jessica...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Jón’s son = Jónsson

Jón’s grandson = Jónssonson
Jón’s granddaughter = Jónsdottírdottír

Jón’s great-grandson = Jónssonsonson
Jón’s great-granddaughter = Jónsdottírdottírdottír

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Jón’s son = Jónsson

something something Islendiga-app

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Addú Ásleifsdottír vs Addú Addúsdottír I guess?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

spog posted:

Jón’s grandson = Jónssonson
Jón’s granddaughter = Jónsdottírdottír

Jón’s great-grandson = Jónssonsonson
Jón’s great-granddaughter = Jónsdottírdottírdottír

“In cases where two people in the same social circle bear the same first name and the same father's name, they have traditionally been distinguished by their paternal grandfather's name, e.g. Jón Ţórsson Bjarnarsonar (Jón, son of Ţór, son of Bjarni) and Jón Ţórsson Hallssonar (Jón, son of Ţór, son of Hallur). This practice has now become less common (the use of middle names having replaced it), but features conspicuously in the Icelandic sagas.”

:eng101:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'll worked with a guy named Torger Torgerson. There were some wonky little lines here and there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"You think my name is Turk Turkleton?"

• Locked thread