Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this game was dead before 2017 even started. the ps4 version was more like suing the hospital to force them to keep your braindead child on life support because you don't care what doctors say, your dumb braindead kid is gonna make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Gazillion's new CEO legally changed his name because if you look up his real name this is the first result

http://davedohrmann.blogspot.com

According to Doomsaw it's a known thing at Gaz and the board actively suppressed it from being mentioned during the contract re-negotiations with Disney earlier this year

Mods knew.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Real talk anybody want to take a bet at if the switchflipper actually turns the game off on time?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Ha, what an idiot.

I live here too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Real talk anybody want to take a bet at if the switchflipper actually turns the game off on time?

I bet 1 GOK that this will be the one time in the history of this game when it happens at the right time.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

FranktheBank posted:

Ha, what an idiot.

I live here too.

The Tragedy is i lived here before all these assholes like Mr Gaz showed up and put everyone out of work and made it too expensive to live here. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted, right Asr- oh.....

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

TheTrend posted:

The Tragedy is i lived here before all these assholes like Mr Gaz showed up and put everyone out of work and made it too expensive to live here. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted, right Asr- oh.....

haha, I've lived our here for 11 years now. Cost of living is insane. I want to move elsewhere.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
It's me, I played this game once.

RIP

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Disney's marketing must be pulling it's hair out between having Star Wars Loot Box is-it-gambling shenanigans and Marvel Heroes we-fired-everyone-on-Thanksgiving being the top news bits for their two major non-Disney properties.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Come to the south frank. You’ll love it. It owns.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Come to the south frank. You’ll love it. It owns.

The only thing Florida has going for it is Wawa and of course it's glorious golden god.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/330708/interesting-info-about-pc-contract/p2

If you scroll down to the bottom, someone copied the chat from the MH discord. Michael Mayhem and Winterthur talking about various things.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

cams posted:

this game was dead before 2017 even started. the ps4 version was more like suing the hospital to force them to keep your braindead child on life support because you don't care what doctors say, your dumb braindead kid is gonna make it.

cams posted:

marvel heroes ps4 good game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this is the best thing from that chatdump

quote:

MichaelMayhem : hahaha. the helicarrier team-up. oh man
Winterthur : The helicarrier team up is actual genius
MM :i can't believe we actually made that
Winterthur : You did that in what? 2 days Mike? We had to get a TU done fast and didn't have time for a model
MM i didn't. I made @zwolfiez do it. But I suggested it.
Winterthur : it was a super quick turn around
MM : Yeah, we were super tight on time and I suggested "what if we just stole a bunch of different aerial bombardment powers and called it SHIELD air support, away-style only Team-Up"
i remember it confused the hell out of the entire pipeline
they were like "how do you summon it... it's a team-up right?" "no no, it's not a REAL team-up..."

the helicarrier teamup happened exactly how everyone suspected it happened

cams
Mar 28, 2003

madcow posted:

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/330708/interesting-info-about-pc-contract/p2

If you scroll down to the bottom, someone copied the chat from the MH discord. Michael Mayhem and Winterthur talking about various things.
very interesting reading. according to this, shipping on consoles was their main priority from as early as 2015, while brevik was still there. the whole thing pmuch boils down to "we set goals we couldn't reach and made bad choices along the way and also bad circumstances were thrust upon us."

highlights

quote:

MM : i dont know if i caaaan
so... when you build a 'new' game with an existing one below it with 3+ years of players, everything's a lot harder to build. You have to take into consideration what every single action you do is going to affect a player's Live accounts. What happens if you change this item, delete this power, delete this item, delete this entire map/story mission
And... something happened... that made us kinda not care about that for awhile.
So we started taking an axe to things. And then we needed to undo all that, and that turned out to be a nightmare.
player : what happens if you just delete the whole game
sorry too soon
Winterthur : Funny story @Dude85632
Basically people were kind of wrong about the PC contract and it had already expired. We were renegotiating it while creating the console version and basically this axe almost came to PC about 6 months ago
So when we thought for sure we were going to be closingn the PC version
we started to blow up those systems to improve them for console
We were about 3 days from informing you guys about the wind down on PC when it was renewed
MM : it was a sudden "it's saaaaved!", and while most of the office was celebrating... I knew what damage we'd done. I knew there was no going back.
Winterthur : and when we got the news internally we basically went
"Well Trash Panda! . This puts a new wrinkle in everything we just blew up"
MichaelMayhem : that's why it took so long for the PC to get the console's changes. We had to work backwards to make it actually work

quote:

MichaelMayhem : hahaha. the helicarrier team-up. oh man
Winterthur : The helicarrier team up is actual genius
MM :i can't believe we actually made that
Winterthur : You did that in what? 2 days Mike? We had to get a TU done fast and didn't have time for a model
MM i didn't. I made @zwolfiez do it. But I suggested it.
Winterthur : it was a super quick turn around
MM : Yeah, we were super tight on time and I suggested "what if we just stole a bunch of different aerial bombardment powers and called it SHIELD air support, away-style only Team-Up"
i remember it confused the hell out of the entire pipeline
they were like "how do you summon it... it's a team-up right?" "no no, it's not a REAL team-up..."

quote:

Winterthur :

IF We did finish our Thanos raid
I think you would have been pleased by what I was doing with loot
Thanos Raid would have introduced the first item tier in MH
I was going to make the loot drops more like WoW's tier sets
and drop from specific bosses for your hero in there
So say, Thanos would drop Slot 1s for Melee heroes, Slot 2s for Magic heroes, Slot 3s for Psychic heroes, Slot 4s for Mutants, Slot 5s for Ranged
but the boss before would drop them differently
I was designing the omega sets to drop from there

this last one lollllllll

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol Gaz was everything we ever thought they were

cams
Mar 28, 2003

marvel heroes pc was dead. marvel heroes ps4 was good and fun. they should have followed my advice from the beginning and straight up threw the pc version in the dumpster instead of trying to maintain the two.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It's pretty obvious that the reason the PC version went through a complete drought of content was because people had already been allocated to work on the console version long before it was announced.

Which means that they're only killing these two because they must be busy working on the mobile version that they will no doubt announce soon: Marvel Heroes: A Realm Retconned

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mikemo Tyson posted:

The only thing Florida has going for it is Wawa and of course it's glorious golden god.

OK but a lot other states that aren't a land of sweat-soiled trash have Wawa

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

It’d be amazing to hear a tell-all one day. My immediate gut goes to stuff even higher than Gaz being the main factor of “what went wrong.” Who knows.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Disney's marketing must be pulling it's hair out between having Star Wars Loot Box is-it-gambling shenanigans and Marvel Heroes we-fired-everyone-on-Thanksgiving being the top news bits for their two major non-Disney properties.
A former Disney Infinity dev posted this in the monthly chat thread the other day:

mutata posted:

Don't work on Disney games. Trust me. More applicable to this thread, don't put a ton of money or faith in any Disney game. Pitaro has no idea what he wants to do or how to do it and would prefer to not have to deal with games at all. (Disney lumped games into its consumer products division right before shutting Avalanche down so everyone in that department is focused on toys and merchandise and games are just this annoying transplant responsibility). Disney doesn't understand games and views them as marketing more than anything else.
This explains a lot of Disney's recent flailing in the games industry.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Giedroyc posted:

It's the last day so davebo is paying his final respects to his beloved... oh hang on

Man I can't grind these last few terminal achievements with a melee non-teleporter. I did the 100 vulture runs with wolvie though since it's all bosses.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

The Kins posted:

A former Disney Infinity dev posted this in the monthly chat thread the other day:
This explains a lot of Disney's recent flailing in the games industry.

Right now I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they decided on a scorched earth attitude towards game licensing and started fresh with their own studio which they'd either buy out or make themselves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They already did that once already, around when they bought Marvel. Then they decided they didn’t like doing that and went back to licensed.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Disney's video game strategy basically flip-flops between "we'll do everything in-house to ensure quality!" and "we'll licence everything out to ensure quality!" every 5 or 6 years

they never manage to ensure quality either way. some good stuff gets made but its never huge AAA major success stuff like they want

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Kelp Plankton posted:

some good stuff gets made but its never huge AAA major success stuff like they want

Battlefront III

Third time's the charm.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Battlefront III

Third time's the charm.

Battlefront 1 actually WAS A huge success. Fourteen million copies sold.

II...uh. Less so.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blockhouse posted:

Battlefront 1 actually WAS A huge success. Fourteen million copies sold.

II...uh. Less so.

Both have been panned for lack of/gated content. Hell, the new one was supposed to be an "apology" that fixed all the problems of the previous. Instead they doubled down on being exploitative.

It's pretty obvious a lot of the backlash they're facing now is due to the bad taste the previous ones bs left in people's mouths being met with more bs.

They're good games, both. Just buried under a pile of money-grubbing give-as-little-as-you-can-while-taking-as-much-as-you-can-get crud.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i guess if you dont want people to hate games with your IP in em dont license your IP to the number one most hated company in the world?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

punchymcpunch posted:

i guess if you dont want people to hate games with your IP in em dont license your IP to the number one most hated company in the world?

Thing is, I can totally see people loving that kind of game. F2P and gacha type games are big money for a reason. But those are, again, F2P games you don't have to pay 60-80 bux for a price of entry into. I started playing Marvel Heroes because it was free and I didn't want to spend any money on a new Diablo-like game. I played it on and off ever since. It works.

But taking a well-known beloved property with a hardcore fanbase and altering it so that what used to come right out of the box is now grindy as all gently caress to encourage in-game purchases would make any fanbase turn on you. Who knows. SW:BF2 could have been a success if it had simply been a separate Star Wars title and didn't try to ride on the Battlefront coattails and exploit and already established playerbase.

And maybe Marvel Heroes would still be around if- hahahaha! No, it wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

rip

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

As we're on the subject of superhero games making GBS threads the bed already, do tell!

Sorry to make it sound cloak and dagger; the game was incredibly fun in closed/open beta, every power set/archetype felt good and powerful; it still really lacked polish, though. The trouble was IIRC they brought in Bill Roper of Hellgate London fame and after the headstart weekend (and selling a ton of lifetime subs) without warning or patch notes they dropped a huge game-changing balance patch (xp nerf, mob dmg increase, pc ability nerfs, etc) on retail launch day. Again, IIRC, they just nerfed and nerfed and never managed to make the game as close to as fun as it had been or as stable as it needed to be out of beta. I got off the train soon after and counted my blessings that I only got snookered for a six months deal rather than a lifetime sub. Of course, CO is still around, so...

rhinohelix fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 24, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pour one out for this terrible dead game

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Servers are still up. I'm dicking around with Kitty through the story mode.

I didn't like her moveset leveling, but she actually seems sorta fun to play once you look through the rest of her abilities and try to figure out how they hosed with the powers between the year or two I didn't play.

Back to the story mode, I don't like the new linear maps they created where you snake through visually updated but simplified versions of the older maps with zero backtracking. However they just drown you in XP for playing this boring mode.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afQadmUZOLw

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

OK but a lot other states that aren't a land of sweat-soiled trash have Wawa

How dare you talk about New Jersey that way.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Logged in for a bit yesterday. I got a 90% off Gs coupon log in reward from those cards (LOL), played Carnage to level 5 (got him with splinters when he was released), logged out.

RIP to my two favorites heroes Hawkeye and Wolverine. Thank god I only spent like $60 on this game. I did accomplish my goal of unlocking every hero in the game before it died.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

rhinohelix posted:

Sorry to make it sound cloak and dagger; the game was incredibly fun in closed/open beta, every power set/archetype felt good and powerful; it still really lacked polish, though. The trouble was IIRC they brought in Bill Roper of Hellgate London fame and after the headstart weekend (and selling a ton of lifetime subs) without warning or patch notes they dropped a huge game-changing balance patch (xp nerf, mob dmg increase, pc ability nerfs, etc) on retail launch day. Again, IIRC, they just nerfed and nerfed and never managed to make the game as close to as fun as it had been or as stable as it needed to be out of beta. I got off the train soon after and counted my blessings that I only got snookered for a six months deal rather than a lifetime sub. Of course, CO is still around, so...

Champions also made the pants-on-head-stupid move of using PvP to balance PvE. For example, microdrones would be dominating PvP one week, losers would whine on the forums, and next week people would log in to find microdrones nerfed to poo poo in PvE. The game was poop in many other ways; characters stats are much too complex, and there's no need to team so no one does.

I have no idea why Champions is still not only alive but getting development today. Who the hell is giving them money?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, City of Heroes lasted how long and was apparently still profitable when shut down, so lots of people like bad superhero games I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Champions's secret is that like all Cryptic games it uses the same servers as STO, so it's free to keep up in maintenance mode. There's like 4 people staffed for CO making new lockbox content occasionally and the diehards eat those up every time, and that's all it takes to not get it shut down

Would probably cost them more to detangle it from STO and NW than it does to keep it alive