Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Brooks posted:

For someone whose a super genius, Devoe is as dumb as a bag of rocks. Let's let the heroes know who you are. When they are about ready to give up let's confirm how dangerous you are and, while your at it, brag to a man who can move 90 miles before you can blink how much of a threat you are to him. Barry should have taken him for a ride out into the the desert and then asked him "How smart are You now?"

thought force

I need don't need poo poo explained to me :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

Barry should have taken him for a ride out into the the desert and then asked him "How smart are You now?"

fwiw, I would have laughed my rear end off if Barry did that and then just gets run over by a bus in mid-sentence because DeVoe hired a guy to just drive a rental bus along a very specific route through a very specific part of the desert because there was a 99.9999993% that Barry was going to do that to him, just to prove "Yeah, literally anything you can do with your speed, I can counter with my mind and resources, because even your stupidity is just another mathematical algorithm when you get down to it."

But I don't write for this show, so womp womp.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

fwiw, I would have laughed my rear end off if Barry did that and then just gets run over by a bus in mid-sentence because DeVoe hired a guy to just drive a rental bus along a very specific route through a very specific part of the desert because there was a 99.9999993% that Barry was going to do that to him, just to prove "Yeah, literally anything you can do with your speed, I can counter with my mind and resources, because even your stupidity is just another mathematical algorithm when you get down to it."

But I don't write for this show, so womp womp.

There were 319 possible iterations of that script, only three of which had that outcome.

Firing the rear end in a top hat sexual predator from the staff knocked it down to two, and here we are.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also my favorite moment this episode is still Thawne's genuine "omg it's the Thinker can I get an autograph :neckbeard:" markout.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can they beat him by randomly generating a plan with dice the same way the writers do

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Argue posted:

Can they beat him by randomly generating a plan with dice the same way the writers do

"You see Flash, Cisco's D&D dice have a flaw introduced during the polishing and number painting process that subtly bias their rolls, allowing me to predict the outcome before you even rolled them."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Team Flash will defeat the Thinker by just tapping out and calling the Legends, because even the smartest man alive can't predict what crazy ways those fuckups will manage to screw up a simple plan before eventually achieving their goal. Devoe will eventually find himself in the Waverider's brig within 22 minutes wondering what the gently caress just happened. Heatwave makes a dumb joke calling him a nerd before they drop him in Iron Heights. Roll credits.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Barry remains the worst part of the show.

The show remains the wost part of the show. Cisco is carrying it like loving Atlas.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So even with his super-intelligence, how was DeVoe able to predict what power each of the bus metas would get? The show sometimes has people get powers based on whatever they were doing when they were hit by the explosion, but other times it’s just completely random. That’s a lot to leave to chance when his entire plan, whatever it is, seems to revolve around these people.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

The show remains the wost part of the show. Cisco is carrying it like loving Atlas.
I've liked what they're doing with Iris this season, other than the girls' night episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I do not believe that DeVoe or his wife read James Patterson, but I do believe it was the smartest book the writers could think of.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bakeneko posted:

So even with his super-intelligence, how was DeVoe able to predict what power each of the bus metas would get? The show sometimes has people get powers based on whatever they were doing when they were hit by the explosion, but other times it’s just completely random. That’s a lot to leave to chance when his entire plan, whatever it is, seems to revolve around these people.

thoughtforce

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thinkforce

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
:thunk:force

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/TVGuide/status/933553237977833474?s=17

Rumor is that Jessica Parker Kennedy will be playing Dawn Allen, aka one half of the Tornado Twins, Barry and Iris's children

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The mysterious guest is good writing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Rumor is that Jessica Parker Kennedy will be playing Dawn Allen, aka one half of the Tornado Twins, Barry and Iris's children

That's rad, I have been hoping they would do more travel to the future. He could team up with his own kids against Reverse Flash and/or Kadabra. Would also love to see Impulse or XS eventually. I always loved the Doctor Who-esque non-linear timelines in the comics, like Barry meeting a younger version of Thawne before he even realizes they are enemies, etc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

The mysterious guest is good writing.

But they said this guest would appear on the show :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Ezra Miller speeds in, kisses Iris, speeds out.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Ezra Miller speeds in, kisses Iris, speeds out.

I was excited to see Keirsey Clemmons as Iris West in Justice League, but apparently Whedon cut out all her scenes. 😑😑😑

I'm just glad black Iris is a thing now. Comics need to catch up and just make it canon. 😂😂😂

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Well in the movie (assuming we get to see her in a director's cut) and on the TV show, she was always black. Making a character who was always white suddenly black is awkward enough when you explain it away as both a rewrite of reality and later just another cousin of Iris with the exact same name; why would Iris suddenly be black now? Would you kill the original Iris West and replace her with her long-lost black half-sister, Iris West?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Well in the movie (assuming we get to see her in a director's cut) and on the TV show, she was always black. Making a character who was always white suddenly black is awkward enough when you explain it away as both a rewrite of reality and later just another cousin of Iris with the exact same name; why would Iris suddenly be black now? Would you kill the original Iris West and replace her with her long-lost black half-sister, Iris West?

How about she's still the same character?? Like comics do random retcons all the drat time. DC in particular is notorious for this. And this time it would actually be to do something cool and good. I mean, if you're genuinely interested we can dive into the whole conversation about black women being underrepresented in media. We have the black comic discussion a lot over in Negrotown and the Misogynoir threads in TGRS.

I was a little black girl who read comics and never really got represented. Vixen got the shaft in the flarrowverse, her own cartoon and JLU. Black Lightning will finally give us Thunder and Lightning but I could never find those comics when I was a kid. They're saying it won't even cross over to the Flarrowverse because it's a "black show", like, come the gently caress on.

Then there's the whole problem with black women having their femininity erased, and not being seen as desirable love interests or worse, they become hypersexual jokes. Seeing a black girl being loved and saved by the hero in a comic would've been a huge loving deal to me when I was a kid/teen. It still kinda is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
RIP Dwayne McDuffie, one of the founders of Milestone Media and probably the best writer of black comic book characters ever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Koalas March posted:

Given that pic, my first thought was "it's Jesus, and the rest of the episode turns into a Chick tract."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

How about she's still the same character?? Like comics do random retcons all the drat time. DC in particular is notorious for this. And this time it would actually be to do something cool and good. I mean, if you're genuinely interested we can dive into the whole conversation about black women being underrepresented in media. We have the black comic discussion a lot over in Negrotown and the Misogynoir threads in TGRS.

I was a little black girl who read comics and never really got represented. Vixen got the shaft in the flarrowverse, her own cartoon and JLU. Black Lightning will finally give us Thunder and Lightning but I could never find those comics when I was a kid. They're saying it won't even cross over to the Flarrowverse because it's a "black show", like, come the gently caress on.

Then there's the whole problem with black women having their femininity erased, and not being seen as desirable love interests or worse, they become hypersexual jokes. Seeing a black girl being loved and saved by the hero in a comic would've been a huge loving deal to me when I was a kid/teen. It still kinda is.

How old are you? Because BL's kids being super powered heroes is a very recent thing. Like 2006ish.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barry Allen and race is already a hosed up situation, because he was part of DC replacing a bunch of minority characters with the "classic" white guy versions nobody under the age of 45 gave a poo poo about. The Atom was a Korean woman, for example, until they decided to bring back Ray Palmer.

Wally West was white, of course, but he was in an inter-racial relationship from the get-go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Atom was a dude but I get your point.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Koalas March posted:

I never questioned the underrepresentation of black girls and women in comics media, and I'm not the kind of person who thinks that continuity or consistency should be elevated above diversity and social justice. I'm just not of the opinion that the best answer is to make Iris black because you're not just changing her skin color, or her features, you're essentially creating a completely different person. It's not that DC doesn't have enough tough white women reporters in love with white superheroes--it does--but you're unceremoniously erasing a character with 60 years of history. History relatively few people may care about, but it's not nothing worth considering.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
A retcon or revamp of a character? In comic book story writing?

Bring me my smelling salts.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Iris West has been around for awhile bit she wasn't iconic enough to worry about changing her race. Hell the most interesting poo poo about her in the comics was goofy retconned poo poo like her being from the future all along.

Also Barry Allen hadn't been the flash for like 35 years when he was brought back and wasn't even the original Flash anyway. The whole "we need to bring back the classic versions of the characters" trend was 100% about the preference of who was behind it: a bunch of 40 year old white men who wanted to write about their specific childhood heroes (specifically Geoff Johns)

IMO they should do what they actually did during the Silver Age and burn down the continuity and restart fresh for a new generation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

we have a winner

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ryan Choi is also Chinese (by way of Hong Kong). Also Ray wasn't ever really brought back as the Atom after New52, but it was only just recently that Ryan was reintroduced as a new JLA member

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 24, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this was probably the worst episode if only because it forces the audience to go along with a dumb "what if Barry is actually wrong!!" plot

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carlosologist posted:

this was probably the worst episode if only because it forces the audience to go along with a dumb "what if Barry is actually wrong!!" plot

A higgs boson bridge! Oh noes!

Seriously the :science: this season is just killing me.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Are these shows still trite, shlocky garbage or did they get good again? I bounced after the first season of Sarah Lance and friends and I have some free time.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Iris West has been around for awhile bit she wasn't iconic enough to worry about changing her race. Hell the most interesting poo poo about her in the comics was goofy retconned poo poo like her being from the future all along.

Also Barry Allen hadn't been the flash for like 35 years when he was brought back and wasn't even the original Flash anyway. The whole "we need to bring back the classic versions of the characters" trend was 100% about the preference of who was behind it: a bunch of 40 year old white men who wanted to write about their specific childhood heroes (specifically Geoff Johns)

IMO they should do what they actually did during the Silver Age and burn down the continuity and restart fresh for a new generation.

Related: https://www.bustle.com/articles/175008-iris-west-being-black-is-like-a-dream-come-true-for-a-longtime-dc-fan-like

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't follow comics very closely, but I feel like I read about DC doing this every couple of years

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also my favorite moment this episode is still Thawne's genuine "omg it's the Thinker can I get an autograph :neckbeard:" markout.

Yeah, that was awesome because it actually took me a moment to realize "Wait... this isn't Wells acknowledging a scientific peer in Devoe, its Reverse Flash acknowledging a super villain peer in The Thinker." It was very cute.

Guy A. Person posted:

That's rad, I have been hoping they would do more travel to the future. He could team up with his own kids against Reverse Flash and/or Kadabra. Would also love to see Impulse or XS eventually. I always loved the Doctor Who-esque non-linear timelines in the comics, like Barry meeting a younger version of Thawne before he even realizes they are enemies, etc.

My guess is that its actually an alternate version of their kid on Earth X. We know Commander Cold and the Ray are both Earth X heroes who will work with the Arrowverse heroes so I'm hopeful we get a whole team of heroes from Earth X like is teased in that little cartoon short. So you have a character like a Tornado Twin to either be an easter egg or get Flash and Iris whispering.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I don't follow comics very closely, but I feel like I read about DC doing this every couple of years

It's almost every year at this point. 😂😂😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Mostly what they have been doing, ever since Crisis on Infinite Earth, is like a massive "spring cleaning" where they chuck what's not working and keep the "classic" stuff that fans would flip out about if they lost, then try to hammer stuff into a halfway recognizable meta narrative.

They've been trying to recapture the success of the Silver Age by using the exact characters and situations from the Silver Age without realizing that what made that era great is that they were willing to completely reinvent things for modern times. They took the basic concepts of Flash (scientist guy who runs fast) and Green Lantern (guy with a green ring that makes stuff) and went in completely new direction with them without worrying about continuity baggage. Even their alter ego jobs were stuff that was cutting edge at the time: Barry was a forensic scientist in an era there wasn't even a name for it (they called him a "police scientist") and Hal Jordan was testing experimental aircraft for the Air Force. The original characters weren't even referenced till years later, and even that was something new and exciting when Carmine Infantino basically invented the DC multiverse in "Flash of Two Worlds".