Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Most places I've hit up a ReStore, there'd be tons of stuff that was clearly just ripped out of a restaurant that was remodeling. Also tons of doors that nobody seemed to want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I've spent 20+ looking for good MCM furniture for cheap to furnish my old home, and I'm pretty much done, but holy loving ballsacks it's a lot of work and hassle.

I could have easily put in OT at work and just bought top notch stuff from somebody like Midcentury Mobler compared to endless hours looking at utter poo poo that some greedy idiot is trying to pass off as MCM.

Anyone who just blithely handwaves 'oh, it's cheap and plentiful' is living in some magical fairyland that I've never been able to find. Even in the Midwest, there's like acres of lovely 'shabby chic' crap for every piece of MCM.

That said, MDF is terrible for furniture unless you assume it's disposable when you move.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xae posted:

I think the Marketplace model where you list other people's poo poo is a mistake for that reason.

You end up getting dozens of duplicate listings and it makes it too hard to find things.

Amazon is going to need to step up their Search and Information Management game if they want to keep the Marketplace model.

Dozens of duplicate listings, and at least half are from bad actors selling knockoffs as genuine at a buck or two under retail.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just because furniture is new and breaks into pieces doesn't mean it HAS to be poo poo. I've got an IKEA computer chair that's probably the best I've ever owned. I've got a metal bed frame that breaks apart into two pieces and folds flat, works perfect. My computer desk is the same, and cost me less than a hundred dollars.

Liquid Communism posted:

Dozens of duplicate listings, and at least half are from bad actors selling knockoffs as genuine at a buck or two under retail.

Amazon needs to do a better job, but they've got no incentive to, yet.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

almost all of our furniture was given to us or we yoinked it from next to the dumpster or whatever. and having moved twice in the past two years, I value furniture that I can disassemble.

our dining room table was given to us by someone who delivers furniture, it had damage to one corner but it's like solid-rear end wood and extremely pretty, and it still comes apart easily so it wasn't horrible to move.

our bed frame comes apart and folds in half. our futon sofa folds in half and we can store the legs inside the bottom. my desk's legs just screw on into each corner. I've taken apart and reassembled a 20 year old bookshelf multiple times, and that's also lovely sawdust.

I loving hate laminate countertop poo poo though. the one in our apartment kitchen has a giant scorch mark from before we moved in and it's all bubbled up and it's just kinda fuckin ugly. and the sawdust is falling out of the underside by the sink. 🤔

anyway I can't afford 'good' furniture but I like being able to take it apart because I have weak girl arms

snoo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 23, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about furniture as a market seems to have been changed overnight by how no one expects to live in the same house for the rest of their life anymore.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I always found it really strange how so many apartments come unfurnished in the US. In most places in Europe, anywhere you'd rent as a person under 30 comes with Ikea-standard furniture. You don't have as much control over decoration I guess, but when you're at a stage of your life when you're likely going to be moving home/country for education/work every 2-3 years it just saves so much hassle. No dealing with lugging around furniture, renting u-hauls, having to buy/replace/give away lots of furniture every time you move etc.

Its generally only when you settle down long-term and buy a house/start a family that you invest in your own large furniture. Which seems fairly logical - at that stage you're likely to be remaining in one place for far longer periods of time, so the extra control over decoration is worth the hassle/lack of flexibility.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Inescapable Duck posted:

A lot about furniture as a market seems to have been changed overnight by how no one expects to live in the same house for the rest of the year anymore.

Most people I know are moving every 2-3 years, it's brutal out there.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Most people I know are moving every 2-3 years, it's brutal out there.

I'm about to move for the seventh time in ten years.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/business/retail-holiday-shopping.html

nyt posted:

“This is as good as it gets,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics. “If they can’t survive in this environment, it is hard to imagine they will be around for very long.”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maera Sior posted:

I'm about to move for the seventh time in ten years.

Actually this is good because previous generations were stuck in one place and one career all their lives which is boring and bad but our generation(s) "get" to change jobs every few years and move too. We should be celebrating our increased mobility and lifestyles not based around accumulating possessions! Or at least this is the spin tech sector libertarians and micro-condo developers like to put on the total lack of housing and employment security these days.

Gee I wonder why retail is dying and millennials are killing X and Y??

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
People in their late teens to early thirties moving a lot has been a thing for going on 40 years now. Those who don't are generally the very rich who are going between multiple family properties anyway or being given some nice place from the family, and the very poor who simply can't move anywhere better.

That said it's not that common for those moves to happen too far away from where the person started, especially not if you count someone's college town in there as a place they start. Lots of people who go to college somewhere too far to commute end up say, living in the dorms freshman year and then the next 3 years are each in a different lovely apartment/house around the college town - that's 4 moves in 4 years! Probably at some point after you get your first decent job you're going to move out of whatever lovely college place you have so that's got you to 5 already... it's easy for this sort of thing to add up.

Baronjutter posted:

Gee I wonder why retail is dying and millennials are killing X and Y??

These share a common factor, in that they are basically not happening and are usually the media grossly overblowing normal business cycles and statistical noise to build a headline.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So I drove by a Best Buy at around noon today, and saw about 10-15 people camping out, for a 5 pm opening. How good/bad is that?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

So I drove by a Best Buy at around noon today, and saw about 10-15 people camping out, for a 5 pm opening. How good/bad is that?

I think at some point people just started doing it because urban camping is kinda fun. Like it’s the sort of thing you aren’t supposed to like because rural camping is better and greed and capitalism are sins and some people’s lives have urban “camping” they don’t just to do as a lark. But I think people kinda do it because they like the “adventure” of doing that dumb thing of hanging out in a parking lot all night.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I had to go out tonight to buy my face wash because I just so happened to run out on loving thanksgiving, and I walked over to the target across the street because they have it for a good price. and just: gently caress customers lol

also I would prefer not to move constantly, I would love to stay in this place for years if possible. but I'm sure my brother doesn't want to live with us forever, and rent's just gonna go up year after year.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think at some point people just started doing it because urban camping is kinda fun. Like it’s the sort of thing you aren’t supposed to like because rural camping is better and greed and capitalism are sins and some people’s lives have urban “camping” they don’t just to do as a lark. But I think people kinda do it because they like the “adventure” of doing that dumb thing of hanging out in a parking lot all night.
Didn't camp out overnight, but I waited for several hours in line at the iPad 2 launch and honestly it was a fun experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have to say I don't recognize myself at all in most of your lives. I don't have amazon prime, I've never used uber, never bought stuff on black fridays etc etc. I've built and live in a house with the intention of spending the rest of my life here, I've had the same job for 15 years. Sometimes I feel like I'm partially outside the flow of the world, but in a good way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m feeling you on that one because I’m the wrong side of 35 and own four teenage children.

Bare with this anacdote there is a point to it at the end :) I moved to 5 different cities in two different counties in 5 years in my youth. I also did man and van for a number of years, this is the root of my hatred for shoddy furniture. “Don’t break it!” Yeh thanks for that duck, It’s totally on me if your badly assembled bottom of the range IKEA bookcase decides it’s had enough of this world and drops to bits in my van.

Lived in the last house for 10 years but was expecting to move at any time in all those years, so my furniture choices erred towards the disposable and poo poo. This new house is the one I die in so what I did was get an enormous skip (dumpster) and threw out 90% of my possessions and all of the large stuff and white goods, and ordered new/second hand stuff to be delivered to the new house. (Not in that order obviously, stuff was skipped instead of being packed on the last days) This meant that on the actual moving day I fit all the personal possessions a family of six in two trips in my ford transit van.

Now, the point is that the quote I got from the movers, which we would have needed because of my hand and Mr LC’s back, came to more than replacing all of my furnature

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm on the wrong side of 35 too, but with two 4 year old kids.

They sleep in two beds that were probably made in the 70s and passed through my family, from my sister to me. They are extendable so they will have them for quite a while. We also had a crib my mothers grandfathers father or something made in 1916, and we used the same baby sitter both my sister and me sat in, so we only had to buy one new. It just keeps going on like this, I even recognize the duvet cover one the kids use, it's from the loving 80s, I used it as a kid. poo poo some things never wear out it's insane that a bed sheet lasts for like 30 years and doesn't even look worn.

Anyway we've hardly spent any money on furniture for the kids as we keep recirculating so much stuff in the family.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I throw out everything I own once a week and replace it all.

All I own are Fabergé eggs.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I throw out everything I own once a week and replace it all.

All I own are Fabergé eggs.

Yo dude, where do you dump your garbage?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

Didn't camp out overnight, but I waited for several hours in line at the iPad 2 launch and honestly it was a fun experience.

Yeah, it's not like they come make you line up silently or something, it's not something I'd want to do very often but like you go with a couple people, bring food and warm clothes and it's generally a good atmosphere. Basically the same sort of thing as going out on new years to watch the ball drop or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's not like they come make you line up silently or something, it's not something I'd want to do very often but like you go with a couple people, bring food and warm clothes and it's generally a good atmosphere. Basically the same sort of thing as going out on new years to watch the ball drop or something.

You could just go hang out with your friends and not have the event climax at all of you emptying your wallets over a perceived Great Deal.

Like just go in your back yard and light a fire in the fire pit and hangout in the cold together. You could probably get drunk and high too and it would be fun.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You could just go hang out with your friends and not have the event climax at all of you emptying your wallets over a perceived Great Deal.

Doing one thing doesn't stop you from doing another thing. Telling people they shouldn't like doing something or listing something you'd think is funner to do doesn't make it so they don't have fun doing the stuff they like to do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Spending money is super fun. Agreed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also playing "homeless transient for a day" is extremely fun. A huge hoot.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Probably gonna be some fun 'retail is dead' stories in about a week, after the Black Friday numbers come in.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Also playing "homeless transient for a day" is extremely fun. A huge hoot.

Don't live your life fearing that certain things will make people think you are homeless, that is an absurd fear.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah like that's the core issue I'm trying to point out here. That you should be worried that people will think you're homeless. Solid deduction skills, Poirot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like there'd be a big geographic divide in this. Doing this in south Florida? Not my cup of tea personally, but I could at least consider doing it. Doing this in anywhere where the overnight low goes below 40F? Hard pass.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah like that's the core issue I'm trying to point out here. That you should be worried that people will think you're homeless. Solid deduction skills, Poirot.

Do you just stay in your house 24/7? or do you need to walk down the street constantly looking at photos of your house because being outdoors might be like being homeless?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
haha this guy getting super defensive when it's pointed out to him that equating the new years eve party in times square with sleeping in a parking lot to celebrate consumer electronics are not equivalent in terms of "fun" for most people

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's just dumb how much people write stuff in terms of "don't you know how much people are SUFFERING just to save a few dollars on the latest deal or bobble" when if you actually go talk to people doing it a lot of them have a pretty fun little setup and aren't suffering nearly as much as people want them to be. Someone somewhere is sitting in the dark crying alone in freezing cold but a bunch of people doing it are having a good time doing it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
No one here thinks they're suffering from anything but terminal lameness, tho

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's just dumb how much people write stuff in terms of "don't you know how much people are SUFFERING just to save a few dollars on the latest deal or bobble" when if you actually go talk to people doing it a lot of them have a pretty fun little setup and aren't suffering nearly as much as people want them to be. Someone somewhere is sitting in the dark crying alone in freezing cold but a bunch of people doing it are having a good time doing it.

Of course they arent suffering. Its a choice, so they can have a bigger television or whatever retail good they believe makes them better than the filthy poors.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Crow Jane posted:

No one here thinks they're suffering from anything but terminal lameness, tho
Goddamn NERDS am I rite guys

Why don't people like the same things I do???

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
not-USPol crosspost:

moostaffa posted:

poo poo's about to go down all over the country

https://twitter.com/kennwhite/status/934126854180569088
That's genuinely unfortunate for Macy's.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

Of course they arent suffering. Its a choice, so they can have a bigger television or whatever retail good they believe makes them better than the filthy poors.

I pretty sure people buy tvs so they can have a tv. Not whatever thing you are imagining.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

not-USPol crosspost:

That's genuinely unfortunate for Macy's.

The Retail Apocalypse continues to roll... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My one and only Black Friday shopping experience was pretty tame. I looked up who had the best deal on a Nintendo 3DS XL in advance, went to Target, grabbed what I wanted, and then left. The hardest part was standing in line to get checked out.

And the only retail job I've had during Black Friday was at a Sports Authority in 2015. I was more annoyed about working on Thanksgiving Day for four hours, but it went pretty fast. I spent all of Black Friday at the door handing out advertisements.