Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Eela6 posted:

Read ?Tele the second you see him and hope it puts you near a staircase. Seriously.

Which Crawl thread was Mennas 2 Society?
0.8, if you the check the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That thread was the version I finally started playing crawl in! I don't know why I remember this

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Enjoying the Gnoll rework on a local game. Got a GnWn^Qaz going with some close escapes at the beginning, then lifted Arga off the minotaur in a labyrinth for the first of 13 unrandarts I've seen so far this game, and almost all of them are usable! I'm using a lot of spells I never have before.

Edit: And escaped with 5 runes. Finding 5 manuals along the way helped, including axes and fighting.

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 23, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I've barely noticed the lack of recharging scrolls, here's what one of my characters looked like at the end of a 3 rune game:

code:
Wands
 k - a wand of acid (2)
 l - a wand of digging (16)
 o - a wand of iceblast (23)
 s - a wand of paralysis (107)
 J - a wand of scattershot (6)
 K - a wand of clouds (15)
Charges for the more common wands seem particularly common now, if anything this is a buff to wands since it means you'll overall find more wands/wand charges to use in the early game where they can make up for your weaknesses the most.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Yet another 15-rune victory for The Best God, Xom

The amulet of the Four Winds is absurd; I bought it on d:3 and wore it for the entire game.

I also had ridiculous MP regen through Demonspawn mutations, so Infusion was effectively a free minor slaying bonus.

Also, shoutout to having Silence castable at 1% in CPA with a shield :v:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Xom is one of the pieces of the game I've almost totally ignored for the nearly 10 years I've played this game. What's the strategy to keep him entertained? Embrace the Chaos Brand and go nuts? Or do you have to make special considerations in how you play otherwise to make sure Xom doesn't get pissed?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Strategy? Xom? I think you are confused, friend :colbert:

But no, there isn't a real strategy for keeping him amused. You can do things that will raise his piety (eat the purple, use random effect wands, quaff unid potions), but his piety will go up and down randomly regardless of what you do.

He's actually surprisingly useful a lot of the time.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The only stregtegy to Xom is embrace chaos and chance.

apple
May 18, 2003

There used to be a way to stave off boredom indefinitely with Xom: wield a lantern of shadows and wait.. that's it. Even then it was kinda scummy and the benefits weren't that significant. When he gets bored you're guaranteed to trigger some kinda neutral/bad effect followed by a piety change, which is bad at max piety since you want to stay there if possible. In my experience the only meaningful way to deal with boredom that doesn't involve doing something potentially idiotic to yourself is to just get into fights, it'll keep Xom from getting bored and if something funny (to Xom) happens to an enemy even better.

Basically you're better off riding Xom luck by playing normally since no matter what you have to get XP and get stronger until you can consistently survive Bad Luck Xom; from there you start racking up benefits since a lot of Xom's good effects are permanent (gold, equipment, books, beneficial mutations, etc.) while the bad effects aren't (except dying basically). He's particularly good about gifting obscene amounts of gold and giving you massive positive mutation sets over the course of the game.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

In all my days of crawl, this is the first time a staircase has dumped me right in the middle of hellion island.

A non-Formicid could just blink scroll onto that portal, but I'm going to have to come up with something else.

Option A: Fly over the lava and run along the NW wall (it's blue like deep water but it's actually a pan wall). Can read a fog scroll or two along the way to reduce damnations, but blurry vision makes that a bit less valuable. Pretty sure this is a losing plan, since 11 damnations is enough to put me down and it would take me about 8 turns to break LoS (put on flight ring, evoke flight, read fog with blurry vision 1, walk 4 squares NW). I would need each hellion to have less than 1/8 odds of deciding to cast damnation.

Option B: Get right into melee and spam the poo poo out of Cleansing Flame. Damnation is 3d15 (EV is 24), smite-targeted and irresistible. A hellion outside melee range that doesn't have an empty square to move into will probably call it down, regardless of its buddies being inside the blast. Now, that pan lord doesn't resist damnation. Maybe getting into melee with it will protect me. The hellions could still smite-target the square behind me, but a scroll of fog might make that harder. If I could position Godeli on one side and the Hellephant on the other, I might really be able to trick the hellions into holding back damnation, at least until the hellephant catches a holy wrath cleave and blinks away. I don't need a whole lot of time to wipe them out with holy wrath cleaves and cleansing flame spam, but they don't need a lot of time to kill me, either. In fact they could do it in one turn if just 3/4 of them decide to cast.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What level of blurry vision do you have? Fog scroll is probably still worth it in this situation. And then cleansing flame spam for TSO heals.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Unless an AI wizard has struck recently monsters don't try anything fancy with AoE targeting, it's always centered on the target.

Trying to run is certain death. An immediate cleansing flame can hit 5 of them, and then hopefully the lord gets in closer and you can finish everything off with more fire.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

I really thought I was dead, but TSO's cleansing flame shredded the entire herd in three applications.

First move was right one square to try to get into contact with the pan lord. This worked. There were three monsters that could have moved into the adjacent square. I wanted the pan lord or the hellephant, did not want the hellion. My luck held.

Second move I considered reading fog, but decided to cleansing flame instead to see how much health it would take off the hellions. Turns out it kills them in two shots at 23 invocations.

I actually got trough this without eating a single damnation - being adjacent to the pan lord seems to have cut it off, though I guess it's possible that they were just too busy moving into freshly-emptied squares.

Thanks for the advice!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Hellion island is one of the scariest things this game has to offer. I lost a GrCK to it that I thought was absolutely invincible with maxed resists, 27 fighting and 75/30/30 AC/EV/SH. Turns out none of that matters if you get randomly teleported there and die before your second teleport scroll goes off

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
The secret of extended is you could have infinite health and resists but torment and damnation will kill you anyway

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Does anyone know how I can get past this? Disintegration wands do nothing. There are no other accessible stairs on the level.

I guess I'm supposed to scum pan until I can cast LRD?

edit: Scumming Pan to train Earth magic worked. Ascended with all 15 runes on my FoFi of TSO! That is now my second most-splatted combo after OpTm.

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2017

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Landing in the dead center of Hellion Island when you’ve got access to Cleansing Flame is probably the easiest way to approach it, at least since Cleansing Flame was changed to be centered on your character, anyways.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The tournament will be on January 5 through 21.

Confirmed in: Wu Jian in its newest form, gnolls, wand/recharge updates, monster spawn changes, training targets, some other stuff (it's all in that link).

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Prism posted:

Confirmed in: Wu Jian in its newest form, gnolls, wand/recharge updates, monster spawn changes, training targets, some other stuff (it's all in that link).

someone else can do the .21 OP. I'll play in the tourney, but I'm mostly playing Hellcrawl these days.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Prism posted:

Crawl 0.21 - Wu Jian's New Album Spectral Swords

e: Wait a second. Zoom. Enhance

quote:

New vaults in circulation:

A crab-themed runed door vault where clawed critters creep in crafty corridors, hoping to catch you in a cloud. The crabs even have friends that try to hit you from afar. Hope you don’t end up as the main course in a crab dinner!

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 25, 2017

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Crawl .21 thread titles have been removed in trunk.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rodbeard posted:

This is it.

apple
May 18, 2003

Crab vault, Christmas came early..

Also apparently Wu Jian makes a great enchanter/stabber god. His martial art attacks will use your weapon (aka a dagger or other stabby weapon) and do stab damage on confused/asleep enemies. Serpent's lash also lets you get a guaranteed stab from *3 tiles away* by covering the first two tiles with serpent's lash followed by a lunge attack. The new pin mechanic makes them even better because you can create some space between you and the enemy and get to cast whatever spell you want before they can move.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rodbeard posted:

even if I'm on the side of the devils on this debate, this rules lol

PS are you rodbeard from 404???

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

even if I'm on the side of the devils on this debate, this rules lol

PS are you rodbeard from 404???

Yeah I haven't thought about that site in years.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

rodbeard posted:

:bisonyes:

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

apple posted:

Crab vault, Christmas came early..

Also apparently Wu Jian makes a great enchanter/stabber god. His martial art attacks will use your weapon (aka a dagger or other stabby weapon) and do stab damage on confused/asleep enemies. Serpent's lash also lets you get a guaranteed stab from *3 tiles away* by covering the first two tiles with serpent's lash followed by a lunge attack. The new pin mechanic makes them even better because you can create some space between you and the enemy and get to cast whatever spell you want before they can move.

Yep! Wu Jian stabbers being super strong is the reason why I took Lunge damage down a notch.

A few versions earlier, I hadn't come up with the idea to average out number of attacks per move. Instead, damage scaled off the ratio between your move and attack speeds, so a ponderous naga with a quick blade could get a ludicrous amount of damage on a stab... I've seen upwards of twenty exclamation marks.

On another note; as a mostly offline player I've never participated in a tournament, how does it work? Do you have to sign up anywhere? What does it consist on exactly?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

SteelNeuron posted:

Yep! Wu Jian stabbers being super strong is the reason why I took Lunge damage down a notch.

A few versions earlier, I hadn't come up with the idea to average out number of attacks per move. Instead, damage scaled off the ratio between your move and attack speeds, so a ponderous naga with a quick blade could get a ludicrous amount of damage on a stab... I've seen upwards of twenty exclamation marks.

On another note; as a mostly offline player I've never participated in a tournament, how does it work? Do you have to sign up anywhere? What does it consist on exactly?

I'm not a big tournament player either, even though I think I was captain of the ogre team on SA one tournament, but I'm pretty sure you just make sure the team captain knows your name and has you in their rc file and then you also have to have your team name in your rc file, I think. At any rate it's very easy. Once the tournament gets started, lots of people will be making teams here, likely, and there will be a lot of specific instructions for what to do. It's very straightforward.

Otherwise you just play normally if you're on a casual team, or go for banners (achievements, basically), streaks and nemelex' choice combos to get more points. I don't like the competitive aspect of Crawl, or of any game at all, and my connection is spotty at best to websites outside of China, but the tournaments are fun in that they get a lot of people, both casual and competitive, playing and discussing the game at once.

----

The new version of WJC is really good, by the way. I completely underestimated how game-changing the pin on whirlwind would be. It makes a huge difference and adds a lot of depth to the play style without risking play degenerating into a series of simple patterns like the old version.

I have two concerns, which should be understood as coming from a mid level player at best and based off of only one game. First, whirlwind might be too strong. This is not my own perspective, by the way, I'm only worried that certain players will level this accusation against the god. The good thing about the pin is that it enables kiting, but it requires you to be in melee taking hits occasionally in order for the kiting to work. The problem is that you can use poison, flame clouds or sticky flame to do huge damage against an enemy while only taking a few hits. If this is deemed a real issue, maybe simply requiring two whirlwinds for the pin to activate, or giving the pin a chance to activate would be possible nerfs.

Second, I found wall jump a little weak. The alpha strike potential is too random to be of much use. I did use it several times to break out from being surrounded or re-position, however. I don't think it's so weak as to need fixing, but if the god in general seems to need to be stronger, wall jump might be a place to start.

apple
May 18, 2003

My only problem with wall jump is that while it looks noticeably more damaging it's really hard to gauge whether or not you're doing worthwhile damage for the risk; this might be fixed if wall jump's effectiveness could be communicated more clearly (or just improved slightly). Reliable damage is what partly what makes Wu Jian stabbers so amazing for example: past a certain stealth level you're getting guaranteed kills with your squishy spriggan. Similarly, you wouldn't want to wall jump on anything non-trivial if it meant facetanking damage that's not worthwhile.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have two concerns, which should be understood as coming from a mid level player at best and based off of only one game. First, whirlwind might be too strong. This is not my own perspective, by the way, I'm only worried that certain players will level this accusation against the god.

Pin should be fine now, IMO. It used to keep them stuck for several attack's worth of auts which was a little too much, but according to a recent commit it was toned down so you just pin them down enough to create 1 tile of distance. It'll still have great synergy with clouds and other spells but I don't think that's a problem per se, you can already do this with many other spell/consumable combinations (you just pay mana instead of health or just exist as a fast species). Running away as a fast species will remain by and large the supreme kiting method, and I can't think of any slower species that would create degenerate gameplay or otherwise be close to berserker tier while using WJC as a god.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm not a big tournament player either, even though I think I was captain of the ogre team on SA one tournament, but I'm pretty sure you just make sure the team captain knows your name and has you in their rc file and then you also have to have your team name in your rc file, I think. At any rate it's very easy. Once the tournament gets started, lots of people will be making teams here, likely, and there will be a lot of specific instructions for what to do. It's very straightforward.

Otherwise you just play normally if you're on a casual team, or go for banners (achievements, basically), streaks and nemelex' choice combos to get more points. I don't like the competitive aspect of Crawl, or of any game at all, and my connection is spotty at best to websites outside of China, but the tournaments are fun in that they get a lot of people, both casual and competitive, playing and discussing the game at once.

Teams are not cemented until a week after the tournament starts so you can just start playing and worry about joining your team or even finding a team until later.

Playing this tournament seriously was a great experience that I wouldn't recommend to anybody. It will make you a better player and give you a much better understanding of risk in the game. It will also take your life away and then break your heart when you lose your 5 streak to a frigging Storm Giant at the Orc 1 entry. We had a good shot at winning before I took a 40 pt large rock climbing those stairs.

I also still hate extended and the tourney demands you knock out a couple 15 rune wins.

They should have nerfed the spawn rate of recharge scrolls rather than removing them. This would not give the player meaningful decisions but would preserve the illusion that they do which is all that's important. The core dev team is largely driven by and influenced by people who are interested in this as a scoring game so expect this sort of thing to continue to happen to player agency for the average crawler.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Second, I found wall jump a little weak. The alpha strike potential is too random to be of much use. I did use it several times to break out from being surrounded or re-position, however. I don't think it's so weak as to need fixing, but if the god in general seems to need to be stronger, wall jump might be a place to start.

Here are a couple tricks if you want to get more uses out of wall jump :)

- Wall jump takes 2 turns "worth" of time, but happens in only one turn. This means you can use it after a whirlwind to gain more distance than you would by walking. If you whirlwind against a monster and wall jump diagonally away, you will end with 2 tiles of empty space in between, rather than 1 if you had walked the same distance.

- Serpent's Lash can get you one free move and half a walljump, but since walljump occurs the turn where lash is still active, all of its attacks will have the lash accuracy and damage modifier. This means that ending your Lash combo in a wall jump is the most damaging thing you can do, but trickier to set up.

- Wall Jump is often a better stabbing tool than lunge, but people don't always see it immediately. Sometimes you can get to a sleeping enemy in 2 moves with lunge, but only in 1 with wall jump, and you can also sometimes hit multiple sleeping enemies.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

apple posted:

Pin should be fine now, IMO. It used to keep them stuck for several attack's worth of auts which was a little too much, but according to a recent commit it was toned down so you just pin them down enough to create 1 tile of distance. It'll still have great synergy with clouds and other spells but I don't think that's a problem per se, you can already do this with many other spell/consumable combinations (you just pay mana instead of health or just exist as a fast species). Running away as a fast species will remain by and large the supreme kiting method, and I can't think of any slower species that would create degenerate gameplay or otherwise be close to berserker tier while using WJC as a god.

Yep, that was actually a bug (I always intended for pin to work strictly for 1 turn).

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

rodbeard posted:

This joke was already made in the roguelike general thread :rolleye:

Whatever the title is, it should positively reflect on WJC for the benefit of our good friend and gentleman SteelNeuron instead of be spiteful

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pretty excited to see WJC making it into .21

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pacra posted:

Whatever the title is, it should positively reflect on WJC for the benefit of our good friend and gentleman SteelNeuron instead of be spiteful

I've been following the WJC saga for a little bit over a year now, it's great to see the Council finally make it into a release (pending any last-minute changes, but that's seeming unlikely?). I agree that a dose of positivity would be good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Crawl .21: Wu Jian Ain't Nothin to gently caress With

I mean we were all making that joke back when it should have gotten in.

Anyways between gnolls and wu jian I'll probably play a few tourney games. Dunno how much though since I still can't break the habit of always doing 15 runes, which means doing Tomb, which is just UGH

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Crawl 0.12: Monsters No Longer gently caress

Crawl 0.21: Draconian Player Tiles Now Show Hats, also WJC

Craw 0.21: Wu Jian, Planned train, Gnoll things, Wands hosed with

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Crawl 0.21: Crab Barrel Dinner

Zaodai