Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Folks,,,gonna need you all to vote for Stroll

https://twitter.com/f1/status/934140377686335493

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if hypothetically you swapped Red Bull and Williams driver pairs, they both score the exact same amount of points and wins, just with different cars.

I'd disagree with regards to the 2017 car. It performs pretty poorly on anything other than low DF fast circuits.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Why anyone gives a poo poo about Stroll when Ocon and Sainz are the actually good young drivers is beyond me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tsaedje posted:

Why anyone gives a poo poo about Stroll when Ocon and Sainz are the actually good young drivers is beyond me

I wouldn't even trust Stroll to outscore Jolyon Palmer in the same car.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

keevo posted:

Folks,,,gonna need you all to vote for Stroll

https://twitter.com/f1/status/934140377686335493

Turns out the majority of Twitter are morons with bad opinions. :thunk:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool that basically everybody has forgotten about Wehrlein. Including the broadcasters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's cool that basically everybody has forgotten about Wehrlein. Including the broadcasters.

DTM loving stinks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was worried that we might see him climb to the top of the tower in Austin and need to be talked down based on his Race of Champions antics.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Actually he's won in every category he's entered and is in one of the shittiest cars on the grid run by an invalid, often outperforming his much more experienced team mate in his first year in F1. He's quite good.

*peels back Stroll's junior category accomplishments to reveal all the teams he's ever been a part of had a massive boost in funding from Lawrence Stroll leading to a hujge increase in the number of engineers, mechanics and top level support people to ensure the god drat spec car junior series was set up and running vastly better compared to the rest of the field by a factor of 69 lmao merit*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for all the talk about DTM being a quasi-F1 feeder series how many drivers actually came out of there? I mainly remember Gary Paffet being rumored as McLaren's next driver (or for the former rumor of the McLaren b-team) for like five years.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lance Stroll is trash

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monster presents Formula 1: ONE. You can watch from your cellphone while Hamilton press the PP button to pass some gently caress before the race is stopped to start stage 2.

Aero kit from dallara or lola

Only one engine for season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bring Back Pastor

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

for all the talk about DTM being a quasi-F1 feeder series how many drivers actually came out of there? I mainly remember Gary Paffet being rumored as McLaren's next driver (or for the former rumor of the McLaren b-team) for like five years.

In retrospect I think that was done because Mercedes didn't want to splurge on a Red Bull style young drivers program and it helped to sort of justify the existence of Mercedes DTM program.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

DTM is like formula 1 in that it’s a place for German car and technology executives to network but they spend even less time watching the races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

DTM is like formula 1 in that it’s a place for German car and technology executives to network but they spend even less time watching the races.

Yeah that's what I remember about the huge amounts of manufacturer spending in DTM despite it being an awful series that lost all it's fans- it's a pissing match for BMW/Audi/Merc executives, though Merc is now gone.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah this, really. Stroll has more stupid storylines I think; he's easier to joke about so he gets more conversation.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liberty is actually doing a good job

The cars get the loving halo and that stupid loving camera

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The halo isn't liberty's fault though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think anyone will give a poo poo about the halo by the halfway point of 2017.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like... 2? Di Resta and Wherlein, can't think of any others.

Then again what do you expect of two fundamentally different series. DTM seems like more of a logical feeder series to WEC imo.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think anyone will give a poo poo about the halo by the halfway point of 2017.

i will

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He scored as many points as Fernando Alonso, the consensus best driver of his era, in the same car. Stroll has been outscored by a decrepit Felipe Massa. Are you OK

He’s leaned into that av so much he’s become it

What’s the phrase, “You never go full retard”?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I probably will. Windshield looked so much better.

I can’t click the link but is the 360 camera like the one Indycar has? That one sucks rear end and almost always misses the action because the camera is in the wrong position.

Also lol

https://twitter.com/tripleh/status/934082011207217152

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

yes liberty has done nothing but good things.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bring Back Pastor

:agreed:

Gigi Galli posted:

The halo isn't liberty's fault though.

The halo is a dumb knee jerk reaction

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keevo posted:

I can’t click the link but is the 360 camera like the one Indycar has? That one sucks rear end and almost always misses the action because the camera is in the wrong position.

Also lol

that is gaudy as gently caress even for them

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

Also lol

I don't know what cam indy has, but this one looks like a constant 360 rather than a swiveling camera. Probably total garbage for the race but might produce some good stuff for analysis and highlight reels

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This but unironically

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

He’s leaned into that av so much he’s become it

What’s the phrase, “You never go full retard”?

I was chatting as much poo poo about Stroll as anybody at the start of this season and last year's off season thread. But he has genuinely surprised me in a good way with his driving skill. I was expecting a Maldonado-style disaster piece and he's actually loving good. It's more of a troll that people are actively holding out against him, frankly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maldonado would have won in Baku.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maldonado was not that bad of a driver and none of the cars he ever drove were as good as the FW40.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He was extraordinarily inconsistent but on a good day he had signs of greatness. I still remember his clash with Hamilton at Valencia in 2012, IIRC he got penalized for that but I thought he was in the right on that one.

e) to be honest de Cesaris is the better comp with Maldonado, though I really wish Maldonado had a career as long as Andrea did. As mentioned earlier the best comparison to Stroll is probably Pedro Diniz.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sato is like De Cesaris and Maldonado as well, it must be said.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

keevo posted:

Also lol

This right here is Liberty's dream. WWE style entrances like in the USGP, the metric system being thrown away and replaced by the imperial system, slowly phase in more and more US locations while introducing artifical cautions and safety cars.

The wet dream of Liberty (and Americans) was Lewis winning the F1 Belt as he hoists it up above his head in Abu Dhabi before a hidden Rosberg comes out from the darkness behind the podium and bashes Lewis with a chair and stealing the belt for himself

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

The wet dream of Liberty (and Americans) was Lewis winning the F1 Belt as he hoists it up above his head in Abu Dhabi before a hidden Rosberg comes out from the darkness behind the podium and bashes Lewis with a chair and stealing the belt for himself

That would be badass.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It literally boggles my mind that you can defend a driver whose entire reason for being in F1 was because he had the financial backing to be there and at the same time decry a driver who is there because he has the financial backing to be there, especially when they both drove/drive for the same team.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

It literally boggles my mind that you can defend a driver whose entire reason for being in F1 was because he had the financial backing to be there and at the same time decry a driver who is there because he has the financial backing to be there, especially when they both drove/drive for the same team.

Well you see one of those drivers won a race, and it was a standard race win on merit, as opposed to a bizarre race where virtually all the top drivers had major problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Well you see one of those drivers won a race, and it was a standard race win on merit, as opposed to a bizarre race where virtually all the top drivers had major problems.

You've got some serious rose tinted glasses. The pirelli tires for 2012 were like loving jello and nobody understood how they worked, I don't think Pastor was as bad as others said he was but to act like he won that day on any amount of skill instead of the tire lottery that produced a different winner for the first 7 races that year is laughable.

• Locked thread