Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

You idiot. You complete moron. He is nothing BUT the mask.

I'm aware. It's why demasking is always a powerful visual symbol of either depowering or humanity. Vader was the mask, and we see the scarred up dude underneath in the end. Robocop's mask gets removed and/or broken off as part of him identifying as Murphy again. You've lost a powerful beat if Scary Masked Dude isn't exposed, at the end, as Dumpy Dude.

poo poo, one of earlier Mad Max films did it, with a demasking revealing that some strong dude was special needs. It's not exactly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yes, but the point of unmasking Vader and Robocop is that their faces mean something to the other characters or to themselves- Vader as Lukes long lost father, and Murphy as he regains enough of himself to be Murphy again. Immortan Joe has no one - his mask comes off, the only emotion would be "OK Who the gently caress's this rear end in a top hat and why should I care?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about the Wonder Woman movie is how when she's just going around London and traveling she has her hair tied up but then she goes into combat and she lets her hair down. Which seems like it would just get in the way.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

muscles like this! posted:

Something that bugs me about the Wonder Woman movie is how when she's just going around London and traveling she has her hair tied up but then she goes into combat and she lets her hair down. Which seems like it would just get in the way.

Didn't she have it braided and out of the way during the early training fight scenes too?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

You've lost a powerful beat if Scary Masked Dude isn't exposed, at the end, as Dumpy Dude.

What's the point if he's shown to be, in his introduction, Dumpy Dude?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

You lose a lot of scrunchies moving at super speed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I'm aware. It's why demasking is always a powerful visual symbol of either depowering or humanity. Vader was the mask, and we see the scarred up dude underneath in the end. Robocop's mask gets removed and/or broken off as part of him identifying as Murphy again. You've lost a powerful beat if Scary Masked Dude isn't exposed, at the end, as Dumpy Dude.

poo poo, one of earlier Mad Max films did it, with a demasking revealing that some strong dude was special needs. It's not exactly hard.

This is why his face is ripped off and he is displayed for, and torn apart by, the mob at the very end. It gets across any message that demasking him would do while having slightly more subtlety than a punch to the face. It's not necessary since we are introduced to him being masked and carefully creating his appearance. The message is sent.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

This is one of my favorite threads; it can lead to some really great discussion and cool insights.

And then, Bibs swings in, demanding that the movies end with all the complexity of a Scooby-Doo episode.

Ah gently caress, I didn't notice it was Bibs. I wouldn't have bothered.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Plus, when you DO have a super-soldier on your side, it's freakin' great. Given that's basically Captain America's concept, and in the Ultimate comics at least pretty much every meta-origin derives from attempts at (or prototypes of) replicating the super-serum. There's a reason 'trying to make your own knockoff of the hero' is a stock superhero plot.

I don't watch all the superhero films, but to me the ones like Logan that try to be really serious can't get around the fact that super-soldiers don't really seem to be worth the hassle? Like the perfect X-24 supersoldier manages to stab a couple of people in their sleep, then after a massive epic fight with wolverine just gets run over by a normal dude driving a normal jeep. Great use of a billion dollars. Maybe just invest in jeeps? You can ignore it when it's the goofier movies, but whent they're trying to be super serious and realistic you have massive military projects, presumably costing millions or billions, creating a weapon that's clearly less useful than a bomber plane or a couple of snipers. It's not even like the Bourne movies where he's the ultimate spy or something that vaguely makes sense, they're always on the front line kicking the poo poo out of people.

My favourite part of the wolverine movies is that he has super strength only in the extremely specific situation where he has his claws stuck in someone. Like normally he's just a really shredded dude, he can't lift a car or anything. But if he stabs you, he can lift you up impaled on knives at the end of his outstretched arm and throw you like 20 feet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do all the Amazons shave their pits

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Warriors need to be streamlined or faster movement. Hair just results in wind resistance. Can hardly kill a God with a slow sword arm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

Rupert Murdoch is literally one of the most powerful people in the world, so I think that's the opposite of what I was talking about. It's not the 'obscene' nature of the jokes, it's who he directs them at.

Well, yeah, you've kind of made my point. Boyle isn't punching down when he attacks Murdoch as he was when he was abusing Katie Price's son, but he's still being reprehensible and hypocritical - it's just accepted because you don't like the person he's aiming at. For gently caress's sake, doesn't Murdoch do enough that is worth attacking him for without attacking him for doing things that are perfectly normal?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Well, yeah, you've kind of made my point. Boyle isn't punching down when he attacks Murdoch as he was when he was abusing Katie Price's son, but he's still being reprehensible and hypocritical - it's just accepted because you don't like the person he's aiming at. For gently caress's sake, doesn't Murdoch do enough that is worth attacking him for without attacking him for doing things that are perfectly normal?

I barely know who Frankie Boyle is from some panel shows but burning Rupert Murdoch earns you points in my book.

All that other stuff he apparently said is trash though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZ1gfmyhgk

And Murdoch is going to get pushed out of his controlling interest in newscorp now? So that will be good for feels.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
Stranger: Indeed?
Cassilda: Indeed it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
Stranger: I wear no mask.
Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Magnus Manfist posted:

I don't watch all the superhero films, but to me the ones like Logan that try to be really serious can't get around the fact that super-soldiers don't really seem to be worth the hassle? Like the perfect X-24 supersoldier manages to stab a couple of people in their sleep, then after a massive epic fight with wolverine just gets run over by a normal dude driving a normal jeep. Great use of a billion dollars. Maybe just invest in jeeps? You can ignore it when it's the goofier movies, but whent they're trying to be super serious and realistic you have massive military projects, presumably costing millions or billions, creating a weapon that's clearly less useful than a bomber plane or a couple of snipers. It's not even like the Bourne movies where he's the ultimate spy or something that vaguely makes sense, they're always on the front line kicking the poo poo out of people.

My favourite part of the wolverine movies is that he has super strength only in the extremely specific situation where he has his claws stuck in someone. Like normally he's just a really shredded dude, he can't lift a car or anything. But if he stabs you, he can lift you up impaled on knives at the end of his outstretched arm and throw you like 20 feet.

This basically. Logan just seemed like too serious a movie to be based around the super-soldier premise. Especially when the end result is clearly not worth millions of dollars.

Second irritation from that movie: leverage. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that adamantium claws can cut through steel if swung hard enough. It's harder to buy slicing through a metal restraint by flicking his wrist about two inches, without exerting any noticeable force on the person wearing the restraint.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

This basically. Logan just seemed like too serious a movie to be based around the super-soldier premise. Especially when the end result is clearly not worth millions of dollars.

Second irritation from that movie: leverage. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that adamantium claws can cut through steel if swung hard enough. It's harder to buy slicing through a metal restraint by flicking his wrist about two inches, without exerting any noticeable force on the person wearing the restraint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq1IFUlV8s

VHAT DA FOOK

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I loved not showing Immortan Joe's face, it was an excellent subversion of a tired convention. Besides, it's there if you're boring and want to see it, it's only a frame or two but you can see it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don’t know how irrational it is but I think Top Secret! is a much better comedy than Airplane!

Airplane! is much more original (obviously) but it feels like at times it’s afraid that the audience won’t laugh at something funny and shoves in unfunny sound effects or stacks a cheap gag on top.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You don't get to see Bane's full face in TDKR and for a similar reason; there's no point to it, the mask is all there is to them.

The most of you get of beneath Immortal Joe's mask is when he grabs his original wife holed up in her own dome, plainly horrified against the man she might once have loved becoming an unrecognisable monster.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Immortan Joe Did Nothing Wrong

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

You don't get to see Bane's full face in TDKR and for a similar reason; there's no point to it, the mask is all there is to them.

The most of you get of beneath Immortal Joe's mask is when he grabs his original wife holed up in her own dome, plainly horrified against the man she might once have loved becoming an unrecognisable monster.

I was rooting so hard for her to empty both barrels into him.

It would have been a different movie though so thanks for your restraint Mrs. Joe

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Immortan Joe has no one - his mask comes off, the only emotion would be "OK Who the gently caress's this rear end in a top hat and why should I care?"

Well gawsh, it's almost as if there should be a demasking moment so that the proud powerful Immortal Joe is revealed to be a random blubbery rear end in a top hat, which the scenes you guys are citing (his putting on armor, his disintegration) utterly fails to do satisfactorily. Thus the irritation. You don't put the mask on unless the mask comes off.

I mean, poo poo, you guys are saying that Vader didn't need to be demasked, because we saw the back of his head at one point. No, just no. You need the demasking. We're not barbarians, conventions exist for a reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That happens at the beginning, where his slaves put his mask and armour on, and you show a fat, diseased, pale body being covered up with fancy armour.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Well gawsh, it's almost as if there should be a demasking moment so that the proud powerful Immortal Joe is revealed to be a random blubbery rear end in a top hat, which the scenes you guys are citing (his putting on armor, his disintegration) utterly fails to do satisfactorily. Thus the irritation. You don't put the mask on unless the mask comes off.

I mean, poo poo, you guys are saying that Vader didn't need to be demasked, because we saw the back of his head at one point. No, just no. You need the demasking. We're not barbarians, conventions exist for a reason.
He is unmasked dude. That unmasking kills him.

As for Vader the whole point to his unmasking was to establish an emotional connection with Luke and confirm that he is no longer Darth Vader the symbol but instead Anakin Skywalker the man. If Darth Vader hadn't rejected the dark side in the end there would have been no point to an unmasking. Joe never has any sort of personhood to be regained by unmasking. The only thing we need to know is that he's a sad old man and that was already established by his naked back earlier in the movie. Having that scene but again would just be redundant. It's the same reason they cut out the scene where the old teacher woman died, it was completely unnecessary.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

That happens at the beginning, where his slaves put his mask and armour on, and you show a fat, diseased, pale body being covered up with fancy armour.

Terrible Opinions posted:

He is unmasked dude. That unmasking kills him.

As for Vader [...]

Hey just so you know, I've never once seen MisterBibs say, "Hmm that makes a lot of sense, I never thought of it that way. I guess I had the wrong idea," and he has a LOT of wrong ideas.

e: for example right now he's going "the portions of the text you are citing do not satisfy my bizarre requirements and so they do not count," which is a very powerful Bibs move

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Nov 25, 2017

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I don’t know how irrational it is but I think Top Secret! is a much better comedy than Airplane!

Airplane! is much more original (obviously) but it feels like at times it’s afraid that the audience won’t laugh at something funny and shoves in unfunny sound effects or stacks a cheap gag on top.

Top Secret! is a great movie. There are so many little bits and lines from it that just pop into my head and make me smile. Maybe it's because I watched it more often as a kid, but I don't get those as much from Airplane!.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Don't argue with MisterBibs, he will never admit that he may be wrong about something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

If Darth Vader hadn't rejected the dark side in the end there would have been no point to an unmasking.

No, there'd still be a point to demask him, since... you know, you don't mask someone in the first act unless you're demasking them by the end.

The only thing we need to know is that he's a sad old man and that was already established by his naked back earlier in the movie.

No, you're just inserting your own supposition on stuff (what Immortan Joe really is, what he's physically like) because the movie lacks it itself (by the lack of a demasking scene). Nobody has ever said that someone's shoulder blade is the gateway to the soul. If you're trying to claim a back reveal is anything comparative to a face reveal in terms of character/personality/humanity/whatever, I've got a bridge to sell you.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Nov 25, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The only thing I can infer from this is that MisterBibs has a body identical to that of Immortan Joe, and takes umbrage to the assumption that he's got a dad-bod.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

MisterBibs posted:

No, there'd still be a point to demask him, since... you know, you don't mask someone in the first act unless you're demasking them by the end.

No, you're just inserting your own supposition on stuff (what Immortan Joe really is, what he's physically like) because the movie lacks it itself (by the lack of a demasking scene). Nobody has ever said that someone's shoulder blade is the gateway to the soul. If you're trying to claim a back reveal is anything comparative to a face reveal in terms of character/personality/humanity/whatever, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I wish the movie was more formulaic

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like how in the irrationally irritating moments thread people are still tripping over themselves to tell bibs that hes wrong.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I like how in the irrationally irritating moments thread people are still tripping over themselves to tell bibs that hes wrong.

MisterBibs is the sword in the stone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

MisterBibs is the sword in the stone.

Yeah, he shows up and the whole forum has to give him a tug.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The movie also didn't have the part where a dog acts ashamed by putting its paws over its eyes, and that's a very serious flaw, since other movies had that part and it worked.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BioEnchanted posted:

The only thing I can infer from this is that MisterBibs has a body identical to that of Immortan Joe, and takes umbrage to the assumption that he's got a dad-bod.

Hey man, as the proud owner of a dad-bod, Immortan Joe is several levels past that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inescapable Duck posted:

The movie also didn't have the part where a dog acts ashamed by putting its paws over its eyes, and that's a very serious flaw, since other movies had that part and it worked.

Or a bit where the doof wagon goes past a drunk homeless guy who looks at the wagon, looks at his bottle and then throws the bottle away.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I'm sorry I forgot that you are incapable of understanding anything that is not overtly and literally stated. What is this learning disability called anyways?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I'm sorry I forgot that you are incapable of understanding anything that is not overtly and literally stated. What is this learning disability called anyways?

Autbibsm.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hot dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure it's closer to Dunning-Kruger. Figuring out subtleties tends to require that you're willing to go over your memories and experiences and assume there's things you didn't figure out or understand the first time. When you assume that you don't need to question yourself because you were obviously right the first time, you're never going to figure out anything subtle.