Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

You've got some serious rose tinted glasses. The pirelli tires for 2012 were like loving jello and nobody understood how they worked, I don't think Pastor was as bad as others said he was but to act like he won that day on any amount of skill instead of the tire lottery that produced a different winner for the first 7 races that year is laughable.

He was on pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He was on pole.

So was Rosberg and Vettel when they won races before him... infact they actually earned those poles as opposed to inheriting it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stroll got a podium in an era where car performance is relatively close and bunch of top runners dropped out. This isn't Johansson dragging an Onyx into 3rd place here. Stroll also looked really, really out of depth on various occasions during the season. Vandoorne, in a vastly inferior car (well, engine) has looked much better to use an example.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree that Pastor Maldonado is comparable to Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel.

IIRC Pastor's one-lap pace was routinely excellent in 2012.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Vandorne has looked like poo poo this year and has been my disappointment of the year tbh. If you want to talk about being wildly inconsistent and looking out of his depth at times then the conversation starts with strudel boy.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

This right here is Liberty's dream. WWE style entrances like in the USGP, the metric system being thrown away and replaced by the imperial system, slowly phase in more and more US locations while introducing artifical cautions and safety cars.

The wet dream of Liberty (and Americans) was Lewis winning the F1 Belt as he hoists it up above his head in Abu Dhabi before a hidden Rosberg comes out from the darkness behind the podium and bashes Lewis with a chair and stealing the belt for himself

As an American, :five:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Vandorne has looked like poo poo this year and has been my disappointment of the year tbh. If you want to talk about being wildly inconsistent and looking out of his depth at times then the conversation starts with strudel boy.

It starts with Stroll and you know it, not are waffles

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I witnessed, firsthand mind you, Stroll barley able to hold off Stoffel at Suzuka. He was visibly struggling to do so.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I would love it if Liberty brought back giant gently caress off wreaths for the podiumers

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

It starts with Stroll and you know it

I fully expected Stroll to be poo poo this year, I thought Vandorne was going to match Alonso and he fell flat on his face until half way through the season.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyh-nDxmsU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I fully expected Stroll to be poo poo this year, I thought Vandorne was going to match Alonso and he fell flat on his face until half way through the season.

So you're saying that Lance Stroll being shithouse at the start of the year but gradually getting to just about the pace of a completely washed up Felipe Massa is more impressive than Stoffel Vandoorne being bad at the start of the year but gradually getting up to the pace of one of the greatest drivers of the modern era. OK.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's too young and has basically no experience, and was pushed though into the big time because of 1.) His results in junior formulae 2.) Money and 3.) The bad precedent Max Verstappen set.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

So you're saying that Lance Stroll being shithouse at the start of the year but gradually getting to just about the pace of a completely washed up Felipe Massa is more impressive than Stoffel Vandoorne being bad at the start of the year but gradually getting up to the pace of one of the greatest drivers of the modern era. OK.

I would not say he's at Alonso's pace, he's been faster than him in qualifying on occasion (which never was Alonso's strong suit anyways) and then looked miles off the pace of Alonso in the races.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Shark fins confirmed gone for 2018.

Lance Stroll admitted he's a big fan of Harvey Weinstein personally.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want to make a complete list of drivers in the last 5 years who I'm pretty sure would outscore Stroll in the same car. Vitaly Petrov. Jolyon Palmer. Max Chilton. Maybe not Bruno Senna or Marcus Erricson.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol max chilton

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'd argue that even Bruno & Ericsson could do it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
gently caress, Narain Karthikeyan could do it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Much like Pastor, Vitaly Petrov also needs to come back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

gently caress, Narain Karthikeyan could do it.

Bold statement. How about Nelson Jr?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ericsson has been getting the better of Pascal on more than one occasion and it's drat hilarious.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ericsson has been getting the better of Pascal on more than one occasion and it's drat hilarious.

I always thought Pascal was overrated, loving Rio would get the better of him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

Lol max chilton

We all love Big Max who came close to winning the Indy 500. IMO what that race proved is that Max Chilton is every bit as good as world class drivers like Fernando Alonso and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I always thought Pascal was overrated, loving Rio would get the better of him.

He was ovutqualified by Haryanto 5 times. Jesus.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Pascal Wehrlein looks like a off-brand Lewis Hamilton .

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Feels Villeneuve posted:

We all love Big Max who came close to winning the Indy 500. IMO what that race proved is that Max Chilton is every bit as good as world class drivers like Fernando Alonso and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

It definitely doesn't prove that the Indy 500 is a giant clusterfuck where if you just keep the car on the track until the end you have a decent chance of winning because your stops happened to sync beneficially with the endless cautions

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tsaedje posted:

It definitely doesn't prove that the Indy 500 is a giant clusterfuck where if you just keep the car on the track until the end you have a decent chance of winning because your stops happened to sync beneficially with the endless cautions

Please don't be rude to Ryan "World Class" Hunter-Reay, Alex "World Class" Rossi or Takuma "World Class" Sato

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
List of actual poo poo people that never should have been given a chance in F1 if we lived in a just and fair world and money didn't matter anywhere near as much as the ability to learn, grow, be quick and consistent aka merit in the past 5 years:

1. Lance Stroll
2. Esteban Guiterrez
3. Rio Haryanto
4. Jolyon Palmer
5. Marcus Ericsson
6. Will Stevens (who the gently caress honestly wa sthis???)
7. Giedo van der Garde

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol Will Stevens

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Giant Clusterfucks ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the one hand Indy is kind of random but on the other hand Takuma Sato winning was one of the greatest moments of my life so I'll take it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Will Stevens was garbo.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

List of actual poo poo people that never should have been given a chance in F1 if we lived in a just and fair world and money didn't matter anywhere near as much as the ability to learn, grow, be quick and consistent aka merit in the past 5 years:

1. Lance Stroll
2. Esteban Guiterrez
3. Rio Haryanto
4. Jolyon Palmer
5. Marcus Ericsson
6. Will Stevens (who the gently caress honestly wa sthis???)
7. Giedo van der Garde

You appear to be missing Max Chilton there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still love Big Jo Palmer. What a driver

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Feels Villeneuve posted:

On the one hand Indy is kind of random but on the other hand Takuma Sato winning was one of the greatest moments of my life so I'll take it.

Oh no doubt, I loved every minute of it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have no opinion on Roberto Mehri. He probably didn't have enough skill to warrant a top drive but then again I don't think he was somebody that brought tons of money.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Remember Andre Lotterer's F1 career? I'd totally forgotten it and I'm kind of annoyed that it's back in my brain wasting space

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The revolving doors of the dying/broke teams is always fun to watch.

Andre "1/2 Lap" Lotterer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Remember Andre Lotterer's F1 career? I'd totally forgotten it and I'm kind of annoyed that it's back in my brain wasting space

I remember people drawing Schumacher parallels.

• Locked thread