Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I seem to be running into a lot of games now where people are first picking goddamn Sniper and getting immediately countered to hell. I don't understand why people do this.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Luckily the chance of that happening on the other team is higher than the chance it happens on your team.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've been in a single game this week that didn't have anti-mage or medusa

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I suck at this game and it's ruining my life.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Keep practicing and one day it'll ruin your life while you're good at it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
trip report: Battlerite is good, it's like bloodline champions except people are actually playing it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

battlerite isn't very good actually

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Dead game

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Le Saboteur posted:

I seem to be running into a lot of games now where people are first picking goddamn Sniper and getting immediately countered to hell. I don't understand why people do this.

good. sniper pickers are human slime. oh i'm going to pick this hero whose entire design is standing still and right clicking... gently caress off

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

trip report: Battlerite is good, it's like bloodline champions except people are actually playing it

Yes it's a ton of fun. Surprisingly the community is not toxic at all.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's the closest thing I've seen to a fighting game version of a moba, except replace weird combo string memorization with cooldowns.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah battlerite is quite good, i just wonder how many new heroes they can add to it that feel totally unique because they can't add new items or whatever. they can add new maps but they feel pretty similar besides a few chokes and such benefiting certain heroes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Something is seriously hosed with the new seasonal matchmaking. I'm highest MMR every single game and I'm not 9k by any means. I think one time I got a player that was higher than me and I was so relieved.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, seasonal matchmaking is a complete mess. I wonder if Valve just did it in a "THERE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?" kind of way? :v:

I lost basically all my qualifiers and got shunted into Legend, and now the only game I've lost was one where we had someone feed from the start because they didn't get mid, and even that was pretty close.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
on 2 seperate accounts my new mmr ended up exactly the same as my old mmr (really bad). the system is perfect

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Since the "recalibration" started I've noticed more Russians on the EU west servers, they've had back-to-back abandons and tantrum induced throws. It seems like the further you get the from the actual Russian servers the worse the Russian players are.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The Asia servers aren't really very much interested in the Turbo mode, sadly. Nobody really queues for it, it seems.

Really liking doing Overthrow, though, for casual stuff these days.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I might be turning into a Riki Picker. Send help.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Why do you need help for playing the greatest support :q:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

lohli posted:

Since the "recalibration" started I've noticed more Russians on the EU west servers, they've had back-to-back abandons and tantrum induced throws. It seems like the further you get the from the actual Russian servers the worse the Russian players are.
Why don't you queue Russia servers and get some good games then?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It is genuinely really weird how casual russian moba players are about leaving games tho. If they're losing, if their build sucks, if they've gotten a lead but haven't cleared barrack towers yet, if they get shuffled in a custom match, bar mitzvahs, new years, etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

It is genuinely really weird how casual russian moba players are about leaving games tho. If they're losing, if their build sucks, if they've gotten a lead but haven't cleared barrack towers yet, if they get shuffled in a custom match, bar mitzvahs, new years, etc.

Yeah or they're like 'AFK 15min ok?'

Some people just genuinely don't give a poo poo.

It's weird because there's another subset of Russian players that will NEVER loving give up, ever. I remember one game their alch was intentionally feeding himself mid like 30-40 times and they kept playing and eventually won.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Why don't you queue Russia servers and get some good games then?

I have been. Chill and competent Russians are some of the most enjoyable teammates you'll ever have.

The nonchill guys are the least enjoyable, someone will say something to them and they'll fly into a screaming rage of "cyka blyat" with their mic inside their mouth and then there's a good chance they'll either play the rest of the game solo or they'll abandon.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird because there's another subset of Russian players that will NEVER loving give up, ever. I remember one game their alch was intentionally feeding himself mid like 30-40 times and they kept playing and eventually won.

That's some Borodino poo poo right there :ussr:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember one game their alch was intentionally feeding himself mid like 30-40 times and they kept playing and eventually won.

Ah yes, the Twisted Fate strategy AKA "lol scaling death gold"

I kind of want to see a tourney strat around 1-2 suicide split pushers building up comeback gold, 1-2 gankers that can guarantee a kill once it's built up, and a hard carry to cash in.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is an effective strategy in my games: feed not to give up but rather to make them overconfident and lazy. I call it embracing the cyka.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Huh, haven't played doto in a long time (2 years? 2 years and a half?) and wooo what the hell happened to the drop system. It seems you don't get anything after matches anymore, I remember you were guaranteed an item (or a chest?) each time you leveled up and there was an ok stream of random armor pieces you got for most heroes.

Did Valve get stingy at some point?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Huh, haven't played doto in a long time (2 years? 2 years and a half?) and wooo what the hell happened to the drop system. It seems you don't get anything after matches anymore, I remember you were guaranteed an item (or a chest?) each time you leveled up and there was an ok stream of random armor pieces you got for most heroes.

Did Valve get stingy at some point?

They moved to basically TF2 drop rates; once in a blue moon you'll get something, internally capped per month after X number of drops.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Neurolimal posted:

They moved to basically TF2 drop rates; once in a blue moon you'll get something, internally capped per month after X number of drops.

That's a complete piece of poo poo system though, weren't they getting enough money for hats? It's weird because the previous system kind of lured you in and I did buy some cosmetics from time to time. This one? It actively annoys you and keeps you out of the store.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
they changed it because <vast wailing void that is valve corporations public relations>

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jesus, I played for 3000 loving hours and only got a single legendary item (that was worth 40 cents). 99% of what you got was 2 cent crap. Why would they make it worse? :psyduck:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Elman posted:

Jesus, I played for 3000 loving hours and only got a single legendary item (that was worth 40 cents). 99% of what you got was 2 cent crap. Why would they make it worse? :psyduck:

Because they want to make money.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I won 8 out of 10 of the placement matches so dota is good again and it's a good patch.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I played Offlane Carry Lich and got promoted to Ancient, game is good.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Kawabata posted:

In addition to "Valve wants more money", apparently people were making teams of alt/bots and had them queue against each other in low-pop. servers to farm drops, and valve ended up ruining the drop system in an attempt to stop it. Ironically, alt/bot matches are still a thing but now they're used to sell boosted accounts.

The drop rate used to be decent, like 1 every ~4 games with a weekly cap. Eventually the droplist kept getting smaller until everyone was getting the same poo poo items (the BZZ pugna bracers meme). Valve then promised to make drops better by including whole sets but made everything untradable, and then they massively lowered the drop rate to 1 item every ~2 weeks. Now the droplist never gets updated so we're stuck with the same old sets while newer sets are locked behind battle pass/TI chests.

Elman posted:

Item rarity has been completely meaningless in terms of market value for years. Ever since the dota market bottomed out, the only way to get a decently valuable drop was to pray you got that one $5 mythical headpiece that looked nice and not the other ugly mythical headpieces that were worth 25 cents.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

Because they want to make money.

Maybe they shouldn't run their game into the ground then.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

for me the highlight of my dota career was getting a 12 euro slark set from a random drop and immediately selling it because gently caress slark

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I think my only valuable item is this dumb void mace that's worth like $90. How do I sell it for real money and not steam dollars?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RisqueBarber posted:

I think my only valuable item is this dumb void mace that's worth like $90. How do I sell it for real money and not steam dollars?

Convert it to steam dollars, buy people games for x% off on top of any sale going on off, paid into your paypal/checkout/whatev. You'll end up with 90 - taxes and whatever % you do.

At least that's how goon hat barons did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if you mean the timebreaker it is not worth that much anymore