Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They could use 140w to 210w at 65% power, which they are not using. I wouldn't trust an average from today to use as an average for a month from today. The mix of profitable algorithms can change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But you would trust a peak value measured in the span of 5 minutes for next month's power consumption? Why? Are you assuming that the true maximum will be revealed in that time?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
you cant control the spot price for any currency. Also they have like 40 cent power so not sure how you are standing behind average using ethash instead of blake or something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We are saying the same thing: you can't control for the power consumption next month based on this month's algorithms. All that you can do is periodically remeasure with a kill-o-watt to figure out what your power consumption is right now. For this purpose, taking an average kWh reading is the most reliable measure of the system's average power draw. Then compare that to your actual revenue

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm saying base off max draw, and if that is unprofitable or not terribly so, you should take some time to evaluate which algorithms you check in nicehash. You can safely use average for solo coin mining however because you can control what power you are expending for your 'somewhat' determined reward.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm saying base off max draw, and if that is unprofitable or not terribly so, you should take some time to evaluate which algorithms you check in nicehash. You can safely use average for solo coin mining however because you can control what power you are expending for your 'somewhat' determined reward.

Yeah, mining is not the best for hardware so hopefully you are not riding real close to the edge of profitability such that one coin pulling 10% more power than another is going to push you into the red. Otherwise you are just buying bitcoins in a roundabout fashion, while wasting electricity and burning up your hardware.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

And how do you measure max draw for algorithms that might not be used until next month?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My Ryzen 7 @ 3.9 GHz + 1080 + 970 doesn't even pull 500w (480). Something is really wrong there.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm not really sure how to even start addressing the issues. How do I figure out what is drawing so much power?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Twist if figuring it out ends up not being useful for bitcoins at all, but ends up saving you more money on power than they would have sold for anyways. Does your motherboard have settings for configuring the VRMs? I know mine draws like 30 watts more on "extreme" mode or whatever it's called rather than default. Are the power saving features enabled and working? Even when mining there are parts of the CPU that can get throttled. Do you have like dozens of drives? Is your PSU a name brand one still under warranty? Modern warranties from good brands are getting over 10 years, but a cheap one from a lesser brand might be 1 year and efficiency drops off as they age, especially with a short warranty.

Do you have like "k boost" I think it's called different things from different manufacturers but Nvidia cards can be forced into their highest power state.

My overclocked 1080 and 5820K with a lot of drives and the monitors and some chargers on the same circuit only draw 500 watts loaded.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Knifegrab posted:

I'm not really sure how to even start addressing the issues. How do I figure out what is drawing so much power?

Can you give us a rundown of your major hardware? We know the GPU, but what CPU/mobo/RAM? How many hard drives? Any unusual equipment (fancy sound card, capture card, 10G ethernet, infiniband, etc)?

What does your idle power consumption look like? Are you running CPU miners as well?

Also you said you were measuring at the input to the UPS. That will also include inefficiencies in the UPS' power conversion(s). Depending on what kind of UPS we're talking about (active/line-interactive/passive) that may actually explain most of it on its own.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Use the instant readout setting on the kill-a-watt and see what everything is pulling when you're at idle. You should be able to turn nicehash on/off and see it jump ~250w. If you have more than one thing plugged into that outlet, try turning other things off to see what draws power. The computer alone at full idle should be sub 100w.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
The kWh reporting might be factoring in power factor. I don't really know how the kill-a-watts work though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I guess I'm not sure either; I was guessing that it just integrates over the Wattage vs Time curve (because that would be the simplest thing to do) but who knows!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Thanks guys, when I am not food comatose I will do all of those things!

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I almost finished my coinbase account, but it wants a credit card or bank account AND all my personal ID info, AND a copy of a photo ID? Just to dump bitcoins in it? I got my coins in nicehash, can I just spend those directly at like amazon or steam as bitcoins? I don't want coinbase to have all that personal info, that seems insane.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So I almost finished my coinbase account, but it wants a credit card or bank account AND all my personal ID info, AND a copy of a photo ID? Just to dump bitcoins in it? I got my coins in nicehash, can I just spend those directly at like amazon or steam as bitcoins? I don't want coinbase to have all that personal info, that seems insane.

That is to prevent comply with anti money laundering legislation and is probably required by us law

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

In theory you can spend your Bitcoin at several online retailers, including Steam (not Amazon though), but it's actually done through BitPay who take your coins and give the company real money.

However, in practice, that's not always so easy.

QuarkJets posted:

bitcoin is so intuitive and easy to use just look at this example:

[–]MohamedMansourProgrammer[S] 158 points 3 days ago*

Here is the history.

I wanted to buy Jackbox TV Party pack for $24.99 on Steam.
Showing my friends how long the transaction would take using Bitcoin integration.
Bitcoin made me pay $4 in transaction fees. That is around 15% cost to use Bitcoin.
I sent the money and the transaction taking forever to confirm.
Steam sends me an email saying they haven't received the funds.
It took 2.5 hours to verify with 6 confirms with BitPay. At that time the payment cost me $29 dollars for a $25 game.
BitPay emailed me saying I underpaid by 3 cents at the time, and said to refund me. I checked the price of bitcoin 0.003853 btc in usd is around $31 which was a lie on their part.
They just refunded me 0.002247 BTC, because they decided not to give me the network cost and miner fee on a mistake they did. (2x miner fee + 2x network cost).

At the end of day, I wanted to buy a $25 dollar game on Steam, I had to send $29 dollars in bitcoin, and they refunded me just $18 on a mistake they done. I lost 10 dollars and haven't received my game.

Never do business with online merchants with Bitcoin. Never. Customer support for BitPay are uneducated, they keep sending me the same responses over.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Risky Bisquick posted:

That is to prevent comply with anti money laundering legislation and is probably required by us law

Yeah, this is what I found, I guess I gotta do it. I suppose I already monitor my finances religiously, and a coinbase hack will probably be on the news (or in this thread).

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I didn't add any info. I just use gyft to convert coins to amazon giftcards. Though you have to disable 2fa each time you want to do it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Sibling of TB posted:

I didn't add any info. I just use gyft to convert coins to amazon giftcards. Though you have to disable 2fa each time you want to do it.

I turn all my GPU money into Amazon money, but Gyft also has a ton of other places you can get gift cards for, with no fees. It's the best way to get money out of Coinbase without going through all the effort of linking it to a bank account.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Btc $8,209.90
Litecoin $78.50
Dash $579.66
Monero $160.01
Eth $466.50 <-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Zec $342.20
Etc $20.48

:homebrew: x 10 rn

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 25, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Btc $9,661.70
Litecoin $90.74
Dash $627.04
Monero $164.07
Eth $479.81
Zec $336.09
Etc $24.54

I'm about to build a real miner, lord help me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Prescription Combs posted:

The kWh reporting might be factoring in power factor. I don't really know how the kill-a-watts work though.

No, it tracks W vs Ah separately and the kWhr counter explicitly tracks Whr's because thats what home meters bill on.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Risky Bisquick posted:

Btc $9,661.70
Litecoin $90.74
Dash $627.04
Monero $164.07
Eth $479.81
Zec $336.09
Etc $24.54

I'm about to build a real miner, lord help me

The monero is offering a real boon to general mining returns imo. Now even a standard i7 of recent variety makes a dollar on top of it all

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So i have nicehash miner 2.0.1.4 running on a 1950x oced to 4.1ghz all cores and 2 1080tis

The nicehash mining details show
Cpu1 cryptonight 205h/s
Cpu2 cryptonight 208h/s
Gpu1&2 lyra2rev2 134mh/s
Its maxing out my cpu but its not matching up with what the benchmarking results think i should be getting (1kh/s) per cpu

Am i missing something?

Nm so the issue is niceminer sees the 2 parts of the 1950x and fucks itself, soon as i turned cpu2 off im hitting 1.286kh/s

System is doing about 11usd a day for 800w from the wall now

Pity its hot as loving balls here atm and ambient is 30c so running the comp at max power isnt ideal

Scarecow fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 28, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

You picked a good time to start, im almost afraid to say it out loud but there's been a steady upward trend in mining returns in the past month that hasn't died.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm also scared to admit crypto could keep running. People around me are talking about it, it's on tv and the radio now. Forever haunted by Dogecoin car

e: my basement is noticeably warmer at 0.0012+ BTC/day :getin:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 28, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m getting free heat from Bitcoin!! Is there anything Bitcoin can’t do? (Besides be a currency or sensible store of value)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Don't use Coinbase, they're loving assholes. They make it notoriously difficult to withdraw your BTC, and don't make issues clear until after you've paid them all their transaction fees and exchange rates, only once that's been done do they hit you with a "Oh, by the way, you can't withdraw to UK bank accounts". Opened up a support ticket with them, they didn't reply to me for almost two months, so I got my bank involved and chargebacked.

I had £300 worth of BTC and I asked Coinbase to please just revert it from GBP to BTC as I couldn't withdraw the GBP. If they weren't assholes and had let me do that, I'd be sitting on £1500 instead.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm also scared to admit crypto could keep running. People around me are talking about it, it's on tv and the radio now. Forever haunted by Dogecoin car

e: my basement is noticeably warmer at 0.0012+ BTC/day :getin:

This is historically when/why crashes happen, btw.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I hope nicehash pays out my hundred bucks hundredth of a bit coin so I can Amazon cash it before it crashes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’ve mined 0.005 bitcoins in the past couple of months and my finger is hovering over the sell button but I can’t bring myself to push it yet because it keeps going up :dogbutton:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Peachfart posted:

This is historically when/why crashes happen, btw.

Cool story

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Q8ee posted:

Don't use Coinbase, they're loving assholes. They make it notoriously difficult to withdraw your BTC, and don't make issues clear until after you've paid them all their transaction fees and exchange rates, only once that's been done do they hit you with a "Oh, by the way, you can't withdraw to UK bank accounts". Opened up a support ticket with them, they didn't reply to me for almost two months, so I got my bank involved and chargebacked.

I had £300 worth of BTC and I asked Coinbase to please just revert it from GBP to BTC as I couldn't withdraw the GBP. If they weren't assholes and had let me do that, I'd be sitting on £1500 instead.

I missed the post youre quoting, but I just double checked and Coinbase doesn't even have my address much less any of that stuff (its actually just blank). 1st panzer division I guess I'd check to make sure you're registering an account with Coinbase and not C0inbase.com ?

I also direct deposit to a credit union account and outside of very standard verification steps (two deposit codes) I didn't run into any ID stuff like that. I've even purchased directly through them once for giggles and I still didn't need to provide most of that info.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was buying from the UK, maybe it's more lax in the US. All I know is, it was the legitimate Coinbase website and they pretty much didn't respond whatsoever to my support tickets and I had 300GBP sitting uselessly in my Coinbase wallet, and I'd spend 20GBP on all the transaction fees to exchange it from BTC > GBP. My support ticket was pretty much kindly asking them if they'd revert the transactions, seeing as I was physically unable to withdraw said money without jumping through a tonne of hoops, none of which were made obvious to me until after Coinbase happily took their cut.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Indeed.
:suspense:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I have a miniscule amount of btc under a coinbase wallet mined through nicehash a while ago. Is there a way to transfer that to a nicehash wallet (it's a bit under the nicehash payout amount so technically I don't even have it I guess)?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

ughhhh posted:

I have a miniscule amount of btc under a coinbase wallet mined through nicehash a while ago. Is there a way to transfer that to a nicehash wallet (it's a bit under the nicehash payout amount so technically I don't even have it I guess)?

Please also note that we are periodically discarding balances, lower than 0.0001 BTC for miners that are inactive 30 days, and balances lower than 0.001 BTC for miners that are inactive 90 days. All balances from all algorithms are aggregated into a single payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Q8ee posted:

Do use Coinbase if you're based in the US, they're by far the most reputable of the exchanges and many of their hurdles are to ensure that they comply with US banking and tax law.

If you're outside the US I guess use Bitfinex, but don't be surprised when it all goes mtgox and your money disappears.

• Locked thread