Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doctor Malaver posted:

And 70 year old Deckard punching K like he was punching a pillow. I mean, punching someone square in the jaw does bad things to your hand even if you're young, let alone a grandpa who's been surviving mostly on whiskey in a dusty castle for decades...
That's presumably because that's how Harrison Ford punches people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm curious which recent Hollywood movies in wide release haven't been ideologically liberal.

Assuming that’s not a joke-post, recent films have ranged from the nonsatirical fascism of Pacific Rim to, at the other extreme, full communism now in Elysium.

Jason Bourne and Rogue One, recently, are allegorical stories about the various ideological pitfalls facing the left as they are forced into unholy alliances with liberals and other faux-progressives.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I'm 100% on Team SMG and value their analyses and jokes and what have ya, but referring to Blade Runner 2049 as "Blade 2" is really unfunny and tired and bad

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Blade 2 is a good movie so it muddles the waters imo.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Assuming that’s not a joke-post, recent films have ranged from the nonsatirical fascism of Pacific Rim to, at the other extreme, full communism now in Elysium.

Jason Bourne and Rogue One, recently, are allegorical stories about the various ideological pitfalls facing the left as they are forced into unholy alliances with liberals and other faux-progressives.

Oh yeah, Elysium. That's right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I'm 100% on Team SMG and value their analyses and jokes and what have ya, but referring to Blade Runner 2049 as "Blade 2" is really unfunny and tired and bad

Blade 2’s not a joke; “Blade Runner 2049” is just a really poo poo title that I prefer to abbreviate. (They should have went with Ridley Scott’s original plan, and called it Metropolis.) Any confusion with the vampire movie is unintentional.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh yeah, Elysium. That's right.

Most films are more moderate, obviously, but you still had a recent trend of films warning that the various contradictions of liberal capitalism will eventually lead to a surge of right-wing populism, if not outright fascism. We’re talking for example Dawn Of Justice and Robocop 2014, where there is ambiguity over whether the dead anti-capitalist heroes will be ‘brought back wrong’.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You could just call it "2049" or BR2049, or even BR49.

But the current system is good, because a year or so from now, people can post these quotes during a discussion about Blade 2 and a bunch of people won't know the original context until we explain it to them. It will be funny.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My pet title for Blade Runner 2049 is Dances with Wolves, any confusion with another film of the same name is purely unintentional.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Blade Runner 2049 is some Cyberpunk 2020 poo poo, and therefore very good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snak posted:

You could just call it "2049" or BR2049, or even BR49.

But the current system is good, because a year or so from now, people can post these quotes during a discussion about Blade 2 and a bunch of people won't know the original context until we explain it to them. It will be funny.

I mostly wanted to highlight how the sequel attempts to ‘explain’ the ambiguous title by having everyone in the future battle eachother with concealed scalpels.

The actual reason is that ‘Runner’ is a Georgian-era derogatory term for the “thief-takers” (essentially bounty hunters) who were organized into Britain’s first police force in the 1750s. The point of the title, in the original 1982 film, is the implied backstory that replicant-hunting was originally a private, freelance sort of enterprise up until around the point where the film begins - which is likely why Deckard chafes at being forced into service.

The ‘blade’ part is obviously the less important part. The point is that police forces have not always existed, and don’t just emerge from thin air. They are a comparatively recent invention, intimately tied to the rise of industrial capitalism. The point of Blade Runner 1 is that Deckard was ‘originally’ a sort of low-level gangster before being employed by the state. The point is that cops are a gang:

“The interrelationship of u.s. capitalists and gangsters has a long history. Before permanent police forces even existed in the u.s., mercenary gangs were authorized to clear the way for settler land theft, and to enforce slave ‘law and order’ for the capitalists and their governments. Gangs of ‘Indian hunters’ such as the Pit River Rangers and the Oregon Militia were given official bounties for each Native person killed. California alone paid millions of dollars out of public funds to these murder squads. Slave patrols of white vigilante thugs were rewarded by plantation capitalists for capturing and “chastizing” escaped slaves. These early genocidal gangster mercenaries were the precursors of modern cops.”
http://kersplebedeb.com/posts/cops-are-gangsters/

It’s why you have to be careful about these things. Someone earlier was celebrating cop Joseph as a proletarian hero.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The actual reason is that ‘Runner’ is a Georgian-era derogatory term for the “thief-takers” (essentially bounty hunters) who were organized into Britain’s first police force in the 1750s. The point of the title, in the original 1982 film, is the implied backstory that replicant-hunting was originally a private, freelance sort of enterprise up until around the point where the film begins - which is likely why Deckard chafes at being forced into service.
I thought it was this.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The big takeaway being that a movie's politics are pretty much orthogonal to how good it is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cool thing I just learned, the baseline test with the Pale Fire monologue was written into the script, but as far as repeating the different phrases with varying intensity, that comes Ryan Gosling. Apparently its an old acting trick to remember lines.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Shageletic posted:

Cool thing I just learned, the baseline test with the Pale Fire monologue was written into the script, but as far as repeating the different phrases with varying intensity, that comes Ryan Gosling. Apparently its an old acting trick to remember lines.

Gosling also wrote all the extra lines that weren't from Pale Fire, and the original take for the baseline test was 8 minutes long.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I thought it was this.

Right: that article explains the title of Burroughs’ book, and states that Scott bought the rights to the title.

What you’re missing is the relevant middle part, omitted in the article, where Scott decides that the term ‘Blade Runner’ would be an absolutely perfect fit for this ambiguous new type of bounty-hunting policeman.

The sequel’s strange over-emphasis on the ‘Blade’ over ‘Runner’ is part of its depoliticization of the subject matter. Compare the opening text of the two films: Scott’s film specifically describes Deckard as having been part of a special police squad called a BLADE RUNNER UNIT, who were given these new shoot-to-kill orders. Blade Runner 2049, on the other hand, refers vaguely to ‘those who hunt’. “Those who hunt them still go by the name... Blade Runner”. Why the vague language?

And why ”still” - over thirty years later - especially since Blade Runners are no longer enforcing the institution of slavery? Old-model replicants in this film are simply ‘prohibited’, for nebulous reasons.

(Another strange inconsistency between films: Blade Runner’s opening text is entirely [i]past-tense[/], as a probable nod to 1984’s famous appendix, while Blade Runner 2: 2049 is present-tense. In other words, the original Blade Runner is presented from the perspective of an implied far-future time where Blade Runners no longer exist.)

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

The ‘blade’ part is obviously the less important part. The point is that police forces have not always existed, and don’t just emerge from thin air. They are a comparatively recent invention, intimately tied to the rise of industrial capitalism. The point of Blade Runner 1 is that Deckard was ‘originally’ a sort of low-level gangster before being employed by the state. The point is that cops are a gang:

“The interrelationship of u.s. capitalists and gangsters has a long history. Before permanent police forces even existed in the u.s., mercenary gangs were authorized to clear the way for settler land theft, and to enforce slave ‘law and order’ for the capitalists and their governments. Gangs of ‘Indian hunters’ such as the Pit River Rangers and the Oregon Militia were given official bounties for each Native person killed. California alone paid millions of dollars out of public funds to these murder squads. Slave patrols of white vigilante thugs were rewarded by plantation capitalists for capturing and “chastizing” escaped slaves. These early genocidal gangster mercenaries were the precursors of modern cops.”
http://kersplebedeb.com/posts/cops-are-gangsters/

I don't necessarily agree with all your criticisisms of 2049, but this is quite on point.

"If you're not cop, you're little people."

It reminds me of the documentary "The Act of Killing" which is about literal gangsters who were sponsored by the government to kill political undesireables. Any of those guys could have easily been a Blade Runner. They are now considered to be heroes by the reigning government, for killing hundreds, but yet they live in squalor, much like Deckard at the start of the first film.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
This movie sucked.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think this movie very effectively captured Scott's brooding, noirish cinematography and the oppressively brutal dreamscape of the city. It feels like Villeneuve really wanted to get that slow, imagistic tone just right. Sudden bursts of violence! K sticks his hand in a beehive! He flies over a city while the soundtrack groans!

But I think 2049 totally missed the way Scott counterposes that tone with grotesque, almost slapstick bursts of energy: Rutger Hauer howls like a wolf, drives a Jesus nail through his own palm, and releases his dying soul as a dove. Fifield and Milburn in Prometheus die hideously. People in Covenant keep slipping on the same bloodstain. Kane chokes and seizes and an alien comes out of his chest. Ash's head pops off and his neck spews milk. Ridley loves to go for the gut after he's done with your head.

2049 feels like a tranquilized, choreographed, almost mincingly mannered sequel to a movie that had striking dream imagery and wild nonsense. I get that this reflects a deader, more mechanized future, but I just can't love all the wide shots and perfect compositions on their own.

2049 is too mannered, too pristine and perfect. Nobody screams "I want more life, father/fucker!"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

General Battuta posted:

I think this movie very effectively captured Scott's brooding, noirish cinematography and the oppressively brutal dreamscape of the city. It feels like Villeneuve really wanted to get that slow, imagistic tone just right. Sudden bursts of violence! K sticks his hand in a beehive! He flies over a city while the soundtrack groans!

But I think 2049 totally missed the way Scott counterposes that tone with grotesque, almost slapstick bursts of energy: Rutger Hauer howls like a wolf, drives a Jesus nail through his own palm, and releases his dying soul as a dove. Fifield and Milburn in Prometheus die hideously. People in Covenant keep slipping on the same bloodstain. Kane chokes and seizes and an alien comes out of his chest. Ash's head pops off and his neck spews milk. Ridley loves to go for the gut after he's done with your head.

2049 feels like a tranquilized, choreographed, almost mincingly mannered sequel to a movie that had striking dream imagery and wild nonsense. I get that this reflects a deader, more mechanized future, but I just can't love all the wide shots and perfect compositions on their own.

2049 is too mannered, too pristine and perfect. Nobody screams "I want more life, father/fucker!"
Did the beginning fight where K gets punched straight through a wall, or the part where K wipes off a thing in his car then smooshes an eyeball into it, or the part when Luv breaks the guy's neck, or when she crushes Joshi's hand then stabs her, or when Deckard gets into a fistfight with K, or when K brutalizes the orphanage owner, or when K smashes that guy over his knee, decks another guy, then shoots a bunch of people, or when Luv shoots Rachel, or when Wallace slices open that woman's womb, or the part where Luv stabs K twice then kisses him and says "I'm the best one," not count as this sort of thing? Those all struck you as too mannered, pristine, and perfect?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes! I’m not even being a poo poo, that’s exactly what I mean. It was all Sicario violence, understated, classy, severe, brutally and photographically real. What I miss is poo poo like Rutger Hauer talking to his hand and then stabbing it with a nail. Pris attacking people with gymnastics. There’s this sort of surrealist eruptive quality to it I love. 2049 feels kind of antiseptic by compare.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, the violence in Blade 3 is pretty robotic, which is probably the point or whatever.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
uh that fight at the end with the water filling up the car is loving brutal as hell and I was squirming in my seat the whole time

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

BarronsArtGallery posted:

uh that fight at the end with the water filling up the car is loving brutal as hell and I was squirming in my seat the whole time

Loved that fight, simply brilliantly done and nerve wrecking, perfect sonics amplifying the entire thing.

General Battuta posted:

Yes! I’m not even being a poo poo, that’s exactly what I mean. It was all Sicario violence, understated, classy, severe, brutally and photographically real. What I miss is poo poo like Rutger Hauer talking to his hand and then stabbing it with a nail. Pris attacking people with gymnastics. There’s this sort of surrealist eruptive quality to it I love. 2049 feels kind of antiseptic by compare.

I can very much see where you are coming from, as BR2049 never feels anything less than stately in its action and transitions, never feels hurried or panicked even as it switches into overdrive during the action sequences. Feels languid and luxurious, complete. Quite a few others have said this is the director’s cut, and I have to say it really does feel that way to me too.

That being said, I personally thought Luv’s violent (and other) sequences echoed Batty & Co though not quite so extravagantly, and when I found out she based her rendition on Hauer’s Batty I wasn’t even slightly surprised.

Anyway I don’t think you are wrong, I think it’s just a matter of taste, I loved the first film and love the second, in both cases for me the flaws add to ambience. And just don’t detract at all from the vivid characterisation, brilliant storytelling and layering in magical dreamy/Hell scapes and near perfect scoring.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don't know if this had already been posted, but I stumbled across a surprisingly well done Blade Runner fan film:

https://youtu.be/xfLVwXkLwhE

I know that the phrase "fan film" necessitates automatic eye-rolling, and there's a shitload of ways to gently caress up a Blade Runner fan film of all things, but I was surprised by how restrained it was and that the overall themes felt in the spirit of the original movie without just being a series of homages or callback shots.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really like that both Luv and K are chasing this holy grail of the magic and sanctity of life... And they're both ruthless killers who kill with terrifying efficiency and zero hesitation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I finally watched Sicario today, having bought a DVD copy at the Black Friday sale at Walmart (and before anyone starts up, I wanted the Blu-Ray, but couldn't find it).

It's hilarious how much of Sicario ended up in Blade Runner 2049. Just how Villeneuve shot some of those establishing shots. The introduction shot to Ciudad Juarez could practically have been BR2049.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
God drat I love Sicario

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's a very good movie, and probably better than 2049.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Blade Runner 2049 Director Opens up about the Film's Treatment of Women

quote:

He took the opportunity to wax poetic, and consider his broader approach to women in film. “What is cinema?” he asked. “Cinema is a mirror on society. Blade Runner is not about tomorrow; it’s about today. And I’m sorry, but the world is not kind to women.

“There’s a sense in American cinema: you want to portray an ideal world. You want to portray a utopia,” he said. “That’s good—dreams for a better world, to advocate for something better, yes. But if you look at my movies, they are exploring today’s shadows. The first Blade Runner is the biggest dystopian statement of the last half century. I did the follow-up to that, so yes, it’s a dystopian vision of today. Which magnifies all the faults. That’s what I’ll say about it.”

I get where he is going with this, but my issue is that he doesn't really seem to say anything about it. He just portrays it. I've never seen any of his other films, so I can't say if he's full of crap or not (Someone else can weigh in)

It reminded me of Ebert's response to the creators of the film Chaos.

Roger Ebert posted:

...I believe evil can win in fiction, as it often does in real life. But I prefer that the artist express an attitude towards that evil. It is not enough to record it; what do you think and feel about it?"

Obviously two wildly different films referencing completely different types of characters, but his response popped in my head while I was watching this film. I think the reason a lot of people have issues with the way woman are treated in the film is that it is presented "as is" without any sort of attitude or thought towards it. The director's response strikes me as a cop out.

I'm going to watch it again because, overall I enjoyed the film, but the female characters stuck out for me in that way.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
As long as a film doesn't endorse something awful, I don't particularly mind if it depicts it but does not comment on it, or if it depicts it but doesn't comment on it explicitly enough for it to be clear that the film is saying that this is a bad thing. So in other word, depiction is not necessarily endorsement, and only endorsement is bad.

This is not to say that BR2049's depictions are just depictions, and don't amount either to endorsement, criticism, or a bit of both. I just think that insofar as Villeneuve is correct, I think his defense is a good one. You say:

Kithyen posted:

I think the reason a lot of people have issues with the way woman are treated in the film is that it is presented "as is" without any sort of attitude or thought towards it. The director's response strikes me as a cop out.
You might be right, but I don't fit into the group of "a lot of people" you're talking about. Or, alternatively, I do, but I don't think depiction implies there's no thought about it. Villeneuve clearly thought about it, so does he escape your criticism? Or do you need more than just thought - you need an attitude?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
BR2049 is about women struggling in toxic work environments where men have it relatively easy. And have the privilege of autonomy.

The more I think about it, they should have just made Luv the protagonist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's something very French Canadian about the way Villeneuve directs and treats women in his films. After all, Enemy prominently features a pregnant woman as utterly menacing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, he did direct Polytechnique.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Why did Jared Leto stab that newborn replicant (in the uterus?) anyway? Maybe there's some subtextual value to that scene but I quite loathed it, especially as it seems to set up some sort of inner conflict in Luv which never plays out.

I liked Emily Blunt's character in Sicario a lot, felt she was quite well handled. Neither passive and weak nor superhumanly mighty and brave.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I love how feminists expect every single film to be about feminism and when it isn't, it's supporting the patriarchy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I love how feminists expect every single film to be about feminism and when it isn't, it's supporting the patriarchy.

Most films do support the patriarchy, if only by simple breakdown of speaking roles and screentime, and when they don't they are (by definition) feminist so it seems like the feminists are doing okay.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

General Battuta posted:

Most films do support the patriarchy, if only by simple breakdown of speaking roles and screentime, and when they don't they are (by definition) feminist so it seems like the feminists are doing okay.

It must really suck having to go into a movie and obsessing / fixating on this type of poo poo.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

General Battuta posted:

Why did Jared Leto stab that newborn replicant (in the uterus?) anyway? Maybe there's some subtextual value to that scene but I quite loathed it, especially as it seems to set up some sort of inner conflict in Luv which never plays out.

He's mad because he can't make a Replicant what can make babies so he's doing like an angry child scribbling over his own artwork.

The scene layers Luv's character because Luv really is a sadistic monster, but learned her sadism directly from Wallace as tantrum-throwing Old Testament godchild. Hence the repetition of her planting a kiss on K right after stabbing him; she learned that one from dad.

e: It's important to understand that while he doesn't raise his voice, Wallace is basically having an angry outburst in that scene, defacing his own "artwork." Likewise it's important to understand Luv has no internal conflict about doing Wallace's bidding. She lives to serve him. She actually will lie to Wallace (by omission) in order to protect him. She is a better servant than he even knows.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 27, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The fact that this is what you believe definitely explains your posts in this thread.

In reality, every film is inherently ‘about feminism’ since every film is made by humans caught in inescapable and unequal system. (Humans have a variety sexes and genders, etc.)

Villeneuve’s film is even explicitly intended to be feminist - the villain sees fertile women as chattel and infertile women as worthless. But it is not a feminist film for reasons outlined earlier. It is not egalitarian, when feminism is egalitarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Something I find myself disagreeing with was the decision to make Wallace into this comic book badguy who by turns evokes Satan and Magneto. Remember how in the first one the Evil Corporate Mastermind is just this harmless old Japanese grandpa who likes playing games?

• Locked thread