Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

when did the canon thread move to yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Drewski posted:

Canon is having a Halloween sale with 15% off refurb products when you apply promo code ‘treatplease’.

I saw that too. $85 for a refurb 50mm 1.8 stm after discount seems like a pretty good deal to me.

24mm 2.8 is out of stock though. :mad:

e: Bought the 50. Yay me.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 27, 2017

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

el dorito posted:

when did the canon thread move to yospos

I changed my interface style to green in the app for the full experience. :cool:

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

President Beep posted:

I saw that too. $85 for a refurb 50mm 1.8 stm after discount seems like a pretty good deal to me.

24mm 2.8 is out of stock though. :mad:

e: Bought the 50. Yay me.

24mm is back in stock

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Viper915 posted:

24mm is back in stock

Out of stock again :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Viper915 posted:

24mm is back in stock

InFlames235 posted:

Out of stock again :(

Eh, oh well. I’m still very new to photography, so I’ll probably stick with the 50mm for a while before I spring for another prime lens anyway.

So far, I’ve got the 18-55 kit lens, a 55-250 IS, and now the nifty fifty (not to mention an old MD mount 135mm with an EF converter—that’s more of a novelty). Reading other posts here, I think I’ll be set for a while lens-wise until I develop more skill.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was gently calling you out yes but if you're going to double down...

please explain to the class what an operating system is. show that the camera in question has an operating system. tell us the name of the operating system that runs on said camera. show (via proof, or chapter-and-verse source code reference, or other method for which you can provide reasoning for equivalence) that the operating system that you claim runs on the camera has "states" and that the "states" for the functions you claim are things that the operating system "knows" about. and i'm sure you'll use industry-standard debugging systems in your explanation, so you might as well share which tools you used and the versions thereof

Jesus if you are going to be an rear end in a top hat atleast be right

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sort of a...speculative question, I guess: Do any of you goons foresee Canon ditching the EF mount anytime in the next few years? It’s been around for almost two decades, and I do wonder what the shelf life is on a design like this that involves electronics in any way. (:bahgawd:)

On a related note, could they have simply added contacts and motors to some modified FD mount lenses and called it good, or was that system inherently unsuitable for adaptation to autofocus?

It’d hate to continue investing in a system, only to find it obsolete in a few years. On the other hand EF/S stuff would probably become dirt cheap.

“Coming spring of 2021! Canon eXtreme mount (XM)! Uses NFC instead of physical contacts! Also counts your steps!”

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

President Beep posted:

Sort of a...speculative question, I guess: Do any of you goons foresee Canon ditching the EF mount anytime in the next few years?

No.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
With the move to stabilized f1.4 lenses instead of f1.2 (or the rare f1.0), the 'need' to ditch the EF mount is even less.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I think I get what you’re saying. If the trend was more towards larger-than-1.4-aperture lenses, then the EF spec. would be pushed towards the edge of its practical capabilities size-wise?

Was FD dropped for a similar reason?

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I'm having an issue with my 7D where it's not turning on when I put in a fully charged battery. Instead the battery icon on the top LCD flashes whether the power is on or off. It's not the battery, as it happens with two different batteries. I tried replacing the Date/Time battery, that didn't help. I e-mailed Canon tech support, the recommended a) cleaning the lens contacts, b) trying a different lens, c) discontinuing the use of 3rd party lenses (of course). None of those worked. Their next step is sending it in for repair.

It worked fine the last time I used it on a vacation back in June. I brought it out when we went apple picking with our toddler at the beginning of October. It turned on fine when at home when I was checking the batter charge. But powered off when I turned it on when we got there, which might have been the beginning of the problem.

Looking online suggests there might be a lose screw inside that's causing a short.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what was the issue? Also, can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the Boston area (preferably Cambridge/Somerville/Arlington) that might be able to handle this without shipping it off to Canon?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

EPICAC posted:

I'm having an issue with my 7D where it's not turning on when I put in a fully charged battery. Instead the battery icon on the top LCD flashes whether the power is on or off. It's not the battery, as it happens with two different batteries. I tried replacing the Date/Time battery, that didn't help. I e-mailed Canon tech support, the recommended a) cleaning the lens contacts, b) trying a different lens, c) discontinuing the use of 3rd party lenses (of course). None of those worked. Their next step is sending it in for repair.

It worked fine the last time I used it on a vacation back in June. I brought it out when we went apple picking with our toddler at the beginning of October. It turned on fine when at home when I was checking the batter charge. But powered off when I turned it on when we got there, which might have been the beginning of the problem.

Looking online suggests there might be a lose screw inside that's causing a short.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what was the issue? Also, can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the Boston area (preferably Cambridge/Somerville/Arlington) that might be able to handle this without shipping it off to Canon?

Sanford in Arlington has been in business a long long time, I've used them for film camera repairs long ago but never digital (although their website says they service DSLRs) - TBH, Canon's depot in NJ is so fast with turnaround I would assume that if there's any parts needed at all you'll probably have it back faster than a 3rd party shop can do.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

President Beep posted:

Sort of a...speculative question, I guess: Do any of you goons foresee Canon ditching the EF mount anytime in the next few years? It’s been around for almost two decades, and I do wonder what the shelf life is on a design like this that involves electronics in any way. (:bahgawd:)

On a related note, could they have simply added contacts and motors to some modified FD mount lenses and called it good, or was that system inherently unsuitable for adaptation to autofocus?

Nikon did this, the F mount goes back to 1959, and (not counting on entry level cameras where they cheaped out on legacy metering/AF) every Nikon F mount lens remains fully usable in 2017. People occasionally complain that still using F mount in 2017 is holding Nikon lens design back, but their lenses aren't worse than Canon so this is probably overstated beyond maybe costing some extra R&D bucks to fit everything around the mount and having to include the legacy camera side AF motor and aperture pin.

I don't see a reason why Canon couldn't also have found a way to drill some extra holes in the FD mount and fill them with both electrical contacts and mechanical levers/screws for maximum compatibility, but they decided to start fresh and basically design an overkill mount with enough space to fit more contacts into with low effort in the future (note that the last 3 of the EF contact pins were only recently assigned functions at all, so we have barely begun to enter the era of kludging modern stuff into a legacy mount).

quote:

It’d hate to continue investing in a system, only to find it obsolete in a few years. On the other hand EF/S stuff would probably become dirt cheap.

“Coming spring of 2021! Canon eXtreme mount (XM)! Uses NFC instead of physical contacts! Also counts your steps!”

However, unlike back in the day when AF became a thing, Canon now has a huge number of pros and enthusiasts with $$$ telephoto glass to keep happy and invested, so there's much more inertia to be overcome for a future mount change. EF will die only if a large number of pros jump ship over hating EF or if DSLRs as a whole die.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

timrenzi574 posted:

Sanford in Arlington has been in business a long long time, I've used them for film camera repairs long ago but never digital (although their website says they service DSLRs) - TBH, Canon's depot in NJ is so fast with turnaround I would assume that if there's any parts needed at all you'll probably have it back faster than a 3rd party shop can do.

Thanks, I called Sanford, and they gave me an estimated time frame of 1.5-3 weeks turnaround. I think I'll send it to Canon. I'm hoping it's a simple (read cheap) repair, otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do. I bought the camera very lightly used off of a wife's coworker 3.5 years ago for $500. I'm not sure what the repair price cutoff is for just offloading the body as is, and looking for another used 7D or 7D Mk II.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blowfish posted:

but they decided to start fresh and basically design an overkill mount with enough space to fit more contacts into with low effort in the future

When you put it like that, I suppose I do see the wisdom in designing a whole new mount. In general, I guess I’d rather deal with a new configuration that has some future-proofing built in from the get-go compared to putting up with a retrofitted legacy design (especially since I wasn’t around for the FD to EF transition). That being said, it seems like Nikon’s approach does have some merit.

blowfish posted:

EF will die only if a large number of pros jump ship over hating EF or if DSLRs as a whole die.

Without really knowing sweet gently caress-all about the format and its limitations/benefits, I’ve kind of been assuming that this is what mirrorless will eventually achieve.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

blowfish posted:

the last 3 of the EF contact pins were only recently assigned functions at all

I didn't know that, that's cool. I'm still amazed that you can attach a heavy telephoto lens to an EF mount and it stays on without wobbling.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The difference in philosophy is also evident in their approach to crop body lenses. Nikon again went with backwards compatibility such that DX lens can be used on FX bodies, where-as Canon decided that EF-S lenses should be optimised for APS-C bodies at the cost of being able to use them on full-frame bodies.

Canon ditching EF will be tied in to the switch to mirrorless when that time eventually comes.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

EPICAC posted:

Thanks, I called Sanford, and they gave me an estimated time frame of 1.5-3 weeks turnaround. I think I'll send it to Canon. I'm hoping it's a simple (read cheap) repair, otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do. I bought the camera very lightly used off of a wife's coworker 3.5 years ago for $500. I'm not sure what the repair price cutoff is for just offloading the body as is, and looking for another used 7D or 7D Mk II.

They quoted $560 total for the repair, but gave no indication what's wrong with it. I'm going to call and see if I they can tell me what needs to be done. It's more than what I paid for the camera.

I'm inclined to look for another camera, probably a 7D Mk II. Any idea what a reasonable used price is for one of these? I'll continue to lust after a 5D III or IV.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Used 5D3s are not more than around $1600 on fleabay or even less for high shutter count examples. But of course there's always bundled battery grips and all kinds of other accessories that can drive up the listing.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

EPICAC posted:

They quoted $560 total for the repair, but gave no indication what's wrong with it. I'm going to call and see if I they can tell me what needs to be done. It's more than what I paid for the camera.

I'm inclined to look for another camera, probably a 7D Mk II. Any idea what a reasonable used price is for one of these? I'll continue to lust after a 5D III or IV.

If Canon gave you that number it's reasonably close to the "replace the logic board" generic fixall they do for all electronics problems. The cost is relatively the same across all their DSLR line with some minor increases for newly released boards not covered by warranty. The only more expensive task is replacing the image sensor (~$1k on average for full frame cameras at least).

So, if you could find a otherwise working identical camera with say a broken shutter or damaged image sensor for dirt cheap, you may be able to get a third party to do the swap. There are repair shops that specialize in that kind of Frankenstein thing in Japan but I'm unaware of any here in the US.

Example of the process on a 60D Google found me: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Canon+EOS+60D+Motherboard+Replacement/51816

However, you have a right to know what you're paying them for before you decide to pay them. I'd ask to be sure.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've been rocking a 60D for the past 7 years and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but I've been having an itch for a new body - but looking at Canon's offerings the only thing that seems reasonable is the 80D. The 6D II got my interest at first because I'm a tad jealous of my friends D750 low light performance and lovely depth of field, but looking in to it further it looks very underwhelming for the price tag, while the 5D IV is well out of my price range for the moment.

In the end I feel like the smart thing might be to just hold off until the next releases, though there's an opportunity to get the 80D for about £500-£600 used. Does anyone have any input?

That and am I right that the LP-E6N's are usable in the 60D? I need to replace a battery and thought I might as well gamble with one that'll probably be used in the 90D/7D III.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 80d is basically a 7d2 with a better sensor (slight dynamic range and MP boost) and lower FPS in continuous mode.

So it's very good.

Unless the 7d3 comes out soon. :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Well CanonRumours have suggested March...

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well CanonRumours have suggested March...

I believe they rated that C1, which means don't take it seriously yet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So if I want better low light shooting for after dark, would I be better off buying a used 5DII or III over the 6DII? Sorry if this is a better question for the question thread or gear thread or whichever other.

My alternative plan is getting the Sigma 18-35 1.8 for my 60D and just not looking too closely.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 5, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
6D original.

Less high ISO noise than even a 5dIII and a better center AF point in low light. Which is the only point you'll be using on a 6D because its AF system suuuuuucccksssss.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cool, will keep an eye out for some good deals. Speaking of good deals I just found a 50 1.2 for £680, is it actually a good deal though? I've always coveted the 1.2 and half retail seems pretty cheap for L glass. Plus, weather sealing so no fear of the London rain.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

ijyt posted:

Cool, will keep an eye out for some good deals. Speaking of good deals I just found a 50 1.2 for £680, is it actually a good deal though? I've always coveted the 1.2 and half retail seems pretty cheap for L glass. Plus, weather sealing so no fear of the London rain.

That's about what I paid (converting 680 pounds to USD) for a great condition used 50 1.2 in the US.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Self-inflicted post-processing fuckery aside, my T6i produces more noise than I’d like, even at lower ISOs. Would moving up to the xxD series offer much improvement, or am I just being too picky? The Rebel is my first DSLR, so I’m not sure if my expectations are realistic or not.

If I were to move up the model ladder, would I do better with a 70D or an 80D? (I would go used/refurb regardless.) From what I’ve read, hi-level ISO shooting yields similar noise between the two, but the 80D does significantly better at low ISOs.

There’s so much conflicting bullshit out there regarding the benefits, or lack there of, of upgrading, and I don’t have the perspective to know if the grass is really greener on the other side.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You will see a significant difference in noise reduction if you go up to a 70/80D, as well as some ergonomic improvements, faster burst shooting and much better autofocus. The 80D is an incremental improvement on the 70D, you do get a better sensor, but the rest is mostly quality of life stuff. I have a 70D and upgrading to an 80D doesn't offer enough value to make it worth while to me. If you can get both for comparable price then the 80D is the obvious choice though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the info. That’s just the kind of take I was looking for, and not just because it confirms my assumptions!

Oddly, the Canon refurb store offers the 80D for around $30 less than the 70D—$600 vs. $630. The 80D’s not currently in stock, which is no biggie, because I won’t be making a move until next year, if I do at all.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

President Beep posted:

70D or an 80D?

Digital Picture

This dude says the 80D is much better than the t6i and a little better than the 70D with image noise.

I still get noise in the shadows of some photos using a 6D, especially when not paying attention to the "exposure/what am I going for?/ehhh gently caress it" triangle of photo decision making.

I hate looking at camera reviews with photos of color swatches from each camera at different ISOs because they doesn't represent how I use my cameras and/or process the raw files. It is nice and objective and you could say "camera A has less noise than Camera B in the shadows at this ISO with these colors" but it gets kind of annoying to look at these color charts for too long and I forget what I was looking for initially.

I say rent one (or both) bodies and see how much "better" the noise is compared to what you have now. Your shooting style could be an non-factor or large factor in how much noise is noticable to you. Maybe you'll like the noise from one camera over the other.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mrlego posted:

not paying attention to the "exposure/what am I going for?/ehhh gently caress it" triangle of photo decision making.

Please do not reveal my proprietary technique.

Seriously though, I tried the color swatch/test card research tack too. While I appreciate objective stuff like that, I kept thinking "how does this apply to me and how I shoot?" (:emo:) If it proves to be a tough decision, your advice to rent the two bodies is a drat good idea.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

President Beep posted:

If it proves to be a tough decision, your advice to rent the two bodies is a drat good idea.

I don't imagine the ergonomics/performance of the 70D vs. 80D to be much different from each other.

Sensor performance for Canon in TYOOL 2017 is not blowing the doors off like similar class cameras from Sony and Fuji.

If anything I'd rent the 80D and maybe a 1D X and really feel the difference in ergonomics/AF speed/accuracy/shutter button/viewfinder blackout time/ AF tracking modes/blunt weapon potential of the 1 series.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mrlego posted:

If anything I'd rent the 80D and maybe a 1D X and really feel the difference in ergonomics/AF speed/accuracy/shutter button/viewfinder blackout time/ AF tracking modes/blunt weapon potential of the 1 series.

Jesus. I'm not ready to start cultivating that level of gear lust!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mrlego posted:

maybe a 1D X and really feel the difference in ergonomics/AF speed/accuracy/shutter button/viewfinder blackout time/ AF tracking modes/blunt weapon potential of the 1 series.
Just go ahead and do this if you want to never be happy with an AF system ever again.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I had a 1D Mark III for a few years and switched to the 5D Mark III when I started doing more weddings and portraits than sports.

I made the switch almost 5 years ago and I still miss that huge, solid machine gun of a camera.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Now that you mention it, I wonder why APS-H hasn't made a comeback in the mirrorless space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Seamonster posted:

Now that you mention it, I wonder why APS-H hasn't made a comeback in the mirrorless space.
Cause you'd need yet another range of glass, probably.