Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still debating whether I want to trade in my PS4 slim for a Pro

Financially the answer is obviously "lol" but my lizard brain wants it now that my TV can hack it

do it buddy push those pixels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Do it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ff15 is genuinely one of my favorite games of all time. It had it's issues and I was done in a hair under 40hours, but man what a world.
I can see why some people don't like it, but once I realised what it was offering and settled in it hooked me big time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cubicle gangster posted:

Ff15 is genuinely one of my favorite games of all time. It had it's issues and I was done in a hair under 40hours, but man what a world.
I can see why some people don't like it, but once I realised what it was offering and settled in it hooked me big time.

Legit question, what IS it offering

Because I played it for probably three hours and got bored, but that was a while back and I don't really remember what it was that actually let me down

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Why the gently caress are PSN's download servers still such hot garbage??? I have a hard wired 1 gig up/down connection and it's apparently going to take me over an hour to download the remaining four gigs of this update. Why sony.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Why the gently caress are PSN's download servers still such hot garbage??? I have a hard wired 1 gig up/down connection and it's apparently going to take me over an hour to download the remaining four gigs of this update. Why sony.

Reminds me that if I DO trade in my slim I'd have to buy PSPlus again to back up my saves, and redownload my games. Ugh

(I realize I could keep the PS4 slim rather than trade in and get more for it but :effort:)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DrNutt posted:

Could be because a TON of new games and systems were sold today. Servers might be jammed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

OxMan posted:

My biggest beef with FFXV is that the gameplay itself is boring as sin. Warp strike then hold down square if something attacks hold down circle, repeat. I liked the game but 40 hours in the gameplay has not changed and will not change except for a power up mode. Whee. Made it to ch 6, havent touched it since.

Sounds like you don't combo switch enough, homie :getin:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DrNutt posted:

I'm downloading a 17 gig patch for FFXV now. Does that mean they eventually finished the game?

Because the last time I played it it was an unfinished mess. A pretty unfinished mess but an unfinished mess regardless.

I assume that's the multiplayer stuff?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ffxv has multiplayer? what?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

ffxv has multiplayer? what?

it's a new dlc mode they just added iirc

I don't think that has anything to do with the 17 gigs of patches tho since I had to dl them way before the mp thing was added

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We still have one open TLOU slot if anyone wants to join

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I'm downloading a 17 gig patch for FFXV now. Does that mean they eventually finished the game?

Because the last time I played it it was an unfinished mess. A pretty unfinished mess but an unfinished mess regardless.

Not including the character DLC chapters they added a ton of fixes and optional content including a loving monster truck and a chapter select.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

We still have one open TLOU slot if anyone wants to join

I wish I wasn't at work :( I've never tried TLoU multiplayer, and I really want to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

I wish I wasn't at work :( I've never tried TLoU multiplayer, and I really want to.

Best multi of the last decade.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Best multi of the last decade.

You're not helping my predicament.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The majority of ppl.seemed to complain that the combat in Witcher 3 was bad but on the other hand there seems a lot of defense for FFXV's combat. This greatly confuses me, could we get a venn diagram up on the matter of something??

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RPG combat
Soulsborne: the gold standard
HZD: genuinely good
W3, N:A: not really good but not hard enough to bother you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

The majority of ppl.seemed to complain that the combat in Witcher 3 was bad but on the other hand there seems a lot of defense for FFXV's combat. This greatly confuses me, could we get a venn diagram up on the matter of something??

Both are substandard but at witcher has some depth

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

No, FFXV has fun combat and Witcher has stilted garbo combat.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

RPG combat
Soulsborne: the gold standard
HZD: genuinely good
W3, N:A: not really good but not hard enough to bother you

This makes sense

Real hurthling! posted:

This also makes sense

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No, FFXV has fun combat and Witcher has stilted garbo combat.

This is retarded

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

This is retarded

Sorry to upset you. :shrug:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Witcher 3 had fine combat, it wasn't Dark Souls but I just don't see the problems people had with it, you had to time your attacks, Geralts motion was fluid and satisfying to watch, you had options with the magic system, there was depth available for people who wanted to play on higher difficulties. I don't know if I misunderstood the combat in FF15 but it seemed to be "hold O and occasionally tap Square" which is a shame because it made an otherwise gorgeous and absorbing game less satisfying to play. If they'd just put in a FF7 style turn-based system I'd have loved that game so much more.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

W3 combat feels very satisfying when you pump skill points into invincibility frames and calmly sidestep all attacks while making limbs fly everywhere. It's kind of rare to see a game be so gory actually

Also I think one of the biggest problems with the combat for most folk is the fact that the game even has two dodge buttons, everyone I've seen always just keeps roll doging which kills all momentum in combat and makes it look really stupid!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 combat would have been fine in a 20 hour game.

It was a boring slog in a game that was like 100+ hours before dlc

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So has anyone here played ELEX on a base PS4 and mind relating how stable the framerate is?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Witcher's combat is generally acceptable but I still have PTSD from that one quest where you have to fistfight two high-level guys in a very small apartment and you can't use magic or weapons. Also most of the talents are kinda lovely, the crossbow may as well not exist.

FFXV's combat is cool when you play on that scan mode and actually switch weapons around to line up with weaknesses and setup combos with the your bros instead of holding down attack and chugging potions. And then a nice peaceful drive back to the campsite for the night to enjoy some delicious goblin steaks and pick out the best selfie :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

smuh posted:

Also I think one of the biggest problems with the combat for most folk is the fact that the game even has two dodge buttons, everyone I've seen always just keeps roll doging which kills all momentum in combat and makes it look really stupid!

No actually the pirouette move is stupid looking and tiresome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Re: FFXV. Little touches like the campsites, the selfies and action shots, the 'hidden' sidequests and conversations, and the manic energy of the fights (if you actually try engaging in it - positioning and timing is important! And air combos are a blast. ), the drat Chocobo festival..... make the whole package work.

The bad guy is pretty drat good, Noctis is in the top 5 FF protagonist and his VA nails every scene, Pronto is adorable. I listen to the soundtrack months after beating the game.

Also, people blow the story stuff way out of proportion. Yes, there is a lot of stuff that should have been in from the start. Yes, most character arcs should have had more meat to them and are unsatisfying. But the story it wanted to tell is intact, and makes sense (in a Japanese RPG kind of way).

Adding another continent of sidequests would not have changed the story as much as some like to think. It's the final chapter of MGSV all over again. Oh except one thing, the ending is great and in my mind, made me realize I didn't really care about most of the story's problems any longer. It's the best ending in the series, and I just had to platinum the game afterwards.

I'll never platinun the paid DLC though. They're pretty fun distractions but the trophy lost is bullshit.

The MP is pretty fun for a while, too. Could use less loading times though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 25, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

People say the ending of ffxv was great but it was just Noctis sacrificing himself to save his friends and the world or whatever?? not exactly unique or even interesting imo pretty boilerplate sort of stuff honestly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Witcher 3's combat didn't suck due to lack of depth. It sucked because it was so canned and janky I felt like I had 50% control at best most of the time. The fact that you can sheath your weapon and try to run off, just to have Geralt pull it right back out on his own, turn around and switch you back into combat mode against your will is why I loving hate the combat in that game in a nutshell. Lock on? Who gives a gently caress Geralt is going to attack what he feels like attacking. Stuck on a 6 inch rock? Sorry can't jump in combat mode. It's like it's on autopilot all of the time but the game lacks any sort of finesse whatsoever.

Also the basic movement controls are complete rear end even after they patched it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 25, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

People say the ending of ffxv was great but it was just Noctis sacrificing himself to save his friends and the world or whatever?? not exactly unique or even interesting imo pretty boilerplate sort of stuff honestly

It was executed really well

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's all in the execution, man. By that metric 95 percent of all movies are boilerplate. And when I say great, I mean 'video game' great. Temper your expectations.

I'm just glad I never ask people what they think of games or movies so I can experience them without expectations pushed onto me by other people.

All that said, the credits scene is a legit well executed scene with the exception of Gladios' VA. I don't think anyone expected a scene like that in a FF game, either, which makes it even better.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Andrast posted:

It was executed really well

Well I must have not been paying attention cuz it was really boring and I don't remember much of it all

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Renoistic posted:

It's all in the execution, man. By that metric 95 percent of all movies are boilerplate. And when I say great, I mean 'video game' great. Temper your expectations.

I'm just glad I never ask people what they think of games or movies so I can experience them without expectations pushed onto me by other people.

All that said, the credits scene is a legit well executed scene with the exception of Gladios' VA. I don't think anyone expected a scene like that in a FF game, either, which makes it even better.

I actually had, perhaps in hindsight, unrealistically high expectations for ffxv. I've never actually been so disappointed in a game before

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Well I must have not been paying

This does not surprise me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still debating whether I want to trade in my PS4 slim for a Pro

Financially the answer is obviously "lol" but my lizard brain wants it now that my TV can hack it

I'm holding out on this to Monster Hunter World release since I've read they may do a small revision on the pro (nothing big but maybe some fixing) and bundle it with the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They do have a Monster Hunter World Pro Bundle, but it's currently Japan-exclusive and is out of stock everywhere. They start at $700 USD on eBay.

Cross your fingers for a US release!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The ffxv ending had the perfect build up to it. Where the story falls apart is that 80 percent of it seems to be crammed in one chapter and it's the most boring one.

I really enjoyed that game. I should probably do a new game+

The Witcher 3 combat sucks for me because every drat move Geralt does seems to be a pirouette. I enjoyed Ciri's combat a lot more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

They do have a Monster Hunter World Pro Bundle, but it's currently Japan-exclusive and is out of stock everywhere. They start at $700 USD on eBay.

Cross your fingers for a US release!

Well that looks loving amazing and if they release it in EU I'm loving trading my slim for that one.