Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: nm found it

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

B-Mac posted:

Game is currently on sale at a few places for $25-$30 which seems like the right price for the game. Took me about 12 hours to finish though it felt shorter than that for some reason. Liked the story overall though it did end a bit abruptly. Gun play was good but normal difficulty seemed harder than TNO and TOB.

For real, I enjoyed the game (still not sure if I liked TOB and TNO more) but something about the flow of the game made it feel unusually short. I just can't put my finger on why. And I ended up creeping through the game, assassinating all of the oberkommmandos and many of the side quests with ~20 hours logged...but still, it felt weirdly short.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The second half of the game has some major pacing issues which I think are exacerbated by the Uberkommando side missions. They take away from the urgency of the main campaign when you can naff off for a few hours to hack some Nazis apart in reskinned levels, only to come back and see Anya still bemoaning the purge of New Orleans. It's no wonder Horton's group are the only ones left alive in the ghetto, BJ took a few months off to traipse across the USA assassinating people for a while before he turned his attention to the main issue.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Note--I haven't really spent a ton of time pouring over TNC's story, so somebody might point out details I've managed to overlook, but:

It seems like BJ spent a lot of time--and a significant portion of the game's plot--gathering rebels and their leaders, but apart from Grace immediately becoming king poop of the Eva's Hammer, I don't remember the game ever directly showing why BJ needed these people for anything (beyond, perhaps, some brief moments in cutscenes). Except for Anya helping him at the end of the game, 99% of the acquired team sits on a submarine while BJ rips and tears like nothing's changed. To me, there wasn't any grandiosity to the whole experience--no sense that America was rising up to resist the occupied Nazi forces. And in that way, it felt to me like I spent most of the game doing things that had no purpose.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The pacing probably feels off and the game shorter because there's less level variety this time around and the majority of the story is more personal while the final two hours are a prologue for the third game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Like the entire story is basically

Caroline dies. A dying BJ cries about it while shooting Nazis. He recruits Grace and blows up Roswell, gets captured and executed afterwards. Comes back like Robocop. Recruits Horton. Captures Engel's ship then kills her. The End.

The game itself just exists to provide BJ's superhero origin story and provide the characters for the next game. The setting itself is wasted since well over half the levels, without any hyperbole, are metal corridors.

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 24, 2017

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So just starting this game after playing New Order. Unfortunately the game is stopping right after you or to dad shoots the dog. It just goes to a black screen. Has anyone run into this? Im on a i5-2500k and GTX-970. Default, low to medium settings, latest drivers. Going to have to play the settings game I guess if no one has any ideas. :(

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Rhaegar posted:

So just starting this game after playing New Order. Unfortunately the game is stopping right after you or to dad shoots the dog. It just goes to a black screen. Has anyone run into this? Im on a i5-2500k and GTX-970. Default, low to medium settings, latest drivers. Going to have to play the settings game I guess if no one has any ideas. :(

Try verifying the game files I steam, I had a corrupt file that was causing black screens. You can also try updating to nvidia 388.33 drivers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For those who don't like paying full price for Season Passes: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832136219

If you're a Newegg email subscriber, EMCBBCE34 brings it down to $10.99. This price ends at midnight PST, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 25, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'll pay :11bux: for that DLC. Who would buy that stuff at full price when it hasn't even come out yet?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Is there a reliable trainer or anything I can use to go back to certain levels? I'm brain dead and didn't kill Hitler on venus and that sounds fun and I wanna do it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Golashes posted:

Is there a reliable trainer or anything I can use to go back to certain levels? I'm brain dead and didn't kill Hitler on venus and that sounds fun and I wanna do it.

Its honestly not even worth it. It lasts like two seconds and doesnt do much, Id just YouTube it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So since I'm bad at stealth in this game I only just got around to noticing that you can do some kind of attack on the backs of the supersoldiers that cuts through some of their hoses and leaks out diesel(?) everywhere but they're still active. Is there some kind of follow up attack you can do afterwards that maintains stealth or is it really just to create a flammable surface?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not stealthy, but you can shoot the fuel spill to make them explode.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Really Pants posted:

It's not stealthy, but you can shoot the fuel spill to make them explode.

Well it can be stealthy - cut the fuel line and then retreat a bit and let the supersoldier continue on its patrol route, and then shoot the fuel trail with a suppressed weapon to detonate. It'll make noise and likely attract some attention, but if you do it right it won't automatically trigger commanders into sounding the alarm.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the idea that the Nazis' diesel powered super soldiers malfunction and explode so often that it isn't even enough to trigger an alarm. Man their science division dropped the ball after Deathshead died.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So just to point out how late I discovered that thing with the supersoldiers wooooooooow that cover was bad.

Anyways, good game but I wish I could kind of go back and give myself a few vague suggestions to follow:

1) Find a guide and make sure you get every weapon upgrade before leaving each district during the main missions.
2) Only unlock and do the side missions that give you the contraptions you didn't choose and then do their related Eva's Hammer mission.
3) Do the other Commander missions after the main story is over or on another playthrough.

This is because the side missions, which I felt compelled to do, really messed up the pacing. There is no point in the main story where it felt like I could just take a moment to kill some random Nazis. The game sort of loses some of its character after the first half and splitting up the second half with a lot of fun but mindless Nazi killin' didn't help in that either.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like the idea that the Nazis' diesel powered super soldiers malfunction and explode so often that it isn't even enough to trigger an alarm. Man their science division dropped the ball after Deathshead died.

Yeah, they dropped it so bad that diesel somehow became flammable when unpressurized :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I pick Wyatt at the beginning am I doomed to have only 50 max health for the campaign?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

If I pick Wyatt at the beginning am I doomed to have only 50 max health for the campaign?

You're doomed to only 50 health for the first half of the campaign no matter who you pick. Also bad hit signaling.

There was an awful decision here, but it wasn't yours.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You get 200 armour for the first 5 hours of the game after the first 20 minutes and there's plenty of it littered everywhere, so it's not a big deal, but the player hit feedback is indeed atrocious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone run the numbers wrt armor vs health? Because I felt like I was way more squishy in the first half despite always grabbing full armor.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Unlike Doom 2016 your armour isn't a second health bar (what was up with that design decision) and you still take some health damage.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GUI posted:

Unlike Doom 2016 your armour isn't a second health bar (what was up with that design decision) and you still take some health damage.

Did it really work that way? I never noticed

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A loading screen tip told me about 'tampering' with diesel-driven enemies by cutting their fuel lines. I want to do that to the stompy boy in new york. Stealthed-melee and shooting the visible lines doesn't seem to work. How do I do it?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lone Badger posted:

A loading screen tip told me about 'tampering' with diesel-driven enemies by cutting their fuel lines. I want to do that to the stompy boy in new york. Stealthed-melee and shooting the visible lines doesn't seem to work. How do I do it?

I think it's the medium-sized robo dudes, not the giant fuckoff bots that there are about 4 of in the game

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think it's the medium-sized robo dudes, not the giant fuckoff bots that there are about 4 of in the game

Yeah, you can't tamper with Zitadelle or Zerstolers.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I got this game I want to say... a week after it released? Finally finished and clocked it in at around 12 hours (that seems to be the sweet spot I guess?) and I think all the criticisms I've read about it seem pretty apt. Felt short and between Not killing Hitler being part of storyline, the jewish oil filter god key macguffin not continued, and Anya not giving birth yet. it def gave off a "Wolfenstein 3: The Prologue" vibe. The last fight was challenging, but it was still hard to believe it was the last one. I didn't even realize that the Kampfpistole was a weapon until near the end. :v:

Only real complaint I have is something that's my own fault, and that's being caught off-guard to the flashback where you pick Wyatt or Fergus. I din't realize that I picked Wyatt by accident. I would have much rather had a disgruntled one-armed Scottsman than Boy scout on Acid.

The whole game had a vibe of "great but too short". And drat, that ending song really WAS bad.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 26, 2017

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

B-Mac posted:

Try verifying the game files I steam, I had a corrupt file that was causing black screens. You can also try updating to nvidia 388.33 drivers.

Thank you very much for this tip. It solved my issue.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, you can't tamper with Zitadelle or Zerstolers.

Actually, you can tamper Zitadelles. They have hydraulic/diesel/whatever lines in their rear ankles. You can only tamper one; after hitting one the other one gets a protective cover over it. Shooting the oil puddle will do a lot of damage to it (though not destroy it). It will also aggro it and everything in the area, of course.

The supersoldats you can crouch/sneak behind, then melee them. There isn't any animation for it, oddly enough--guess that fell through the QC. You should see a leak and a trail forming behind it (or a puddle underneath if it's stationary). Shoot the puddle with a silenced weapon and it will catch fire and rush up to the tank on the soldat's back, blowing him up. If you're unseen and using a silenced weapon, this will alert any nearby guards but not raise an alarm.

Haven't tried with Zerstolers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

The human-sized robot dudes? I can hit them with a hatchet for a kill but nothing special seems to happen.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

OAquinas posted:

Actually, you can tamper Zitadelles. They have hydraulic/diesel/whatever lines in their rear ankles. You can only tamper one; after hitting one the other one gets a protective cover over it. Shooting the oil puddle will do a lot of damage to it (though not destroy it). It will also aggro it and everything in the area, of course.

I snuck around those fuckers trying to find a place to cut them and couldn't find squat. Guess I'll be trying that again soon!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've killed like two of those robots with just axe chops (it took like 30), and that was before I found out you can chop the gas line on their leg and blow them up with a shot
There's one later in the game that you come up to on a narrow path and you start behind it, so it's easy to strafe it and take 0 damage while chopping. I was kind of hoping for some sort of execution animation :shrug:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 26, 2017

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you're talking about the ninja robots there is a totally an execution animation if you sneak up on them.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The ninja bots are easily dismantled, the only time I had trouble with them is when they blindsided me.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Whooooah holy crap, I think I have a super secret Gamepro tip I can share with everyone that I haven't noticed mentioned, and it's probably going to help out everyone without something silenced quite a bit-

After you cut the diesel lines and whatever, you can shoot the gas, or you can throw your hatchet at it and cause an explosion!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Think we have a terminology breakdown...

Supersoldats: heavy armored guys with dual heavy weapons. Can be stealth-melee sabotaged to cause a fuel leak, then instakilled if you ignite the fuel trail.

Ubersoldats: ninja wallclimbing robots with rapidfiring guns. Can be stealth killed like normal Nazis.

Zitadelle: bigass stomp robot with Cyclops eye. Can melee sabotage one fuel line and ignite for heavy damage. On Death Incarnate this doesn't kill them; dunno about lower difficulties.

Zerstorer: upgraded supersoldat with ubergerwahls (ball o death heavy weapons that use both energy and diesel). Not sure if you can stealth sabotage.

Lazerhund: cyclops robot dog that shoots lasers at you, tries to ram you, and blows up when it dies. The latter two properties being more of a nasty combo than the lasers.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 26, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzYVbU8_vvs

Well that was an unpleasant review with a guy who seems extremely confrontational for no reason. It's sad, because he does make some good points, but his need to lash out at people is difficult to put up with.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzYVbU8_vvs

Well that was an unpleasant review with a guy who seems extremely confrontational for no reason. It's sad, because he does make some good points, but his need to lash out at people is difficult to put up with.

Considering one of the guy's other videos is this, he's just a despicable human being. The moment he started bitching about Hilary I knew his opinions didn't matter in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In general I've found it best to ignore any channel with the name of "The [Adjective] [Noun]"