Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

the black husserl posted:

those are individually handcrafted porcelain crabs

ya'll are stupid lol

That makes it worse because it means Ai was once again exploiting his art degree grad labor force of interns and hangers-on in a cruel porcelain mill rather than having the guts to kill a thousand crabs himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Yo ho ho Crab Crew! Now that we're done celebrating the genocide of indigenous people, I can start paying more attention to this thread, should there be anyone who's still pro-crab and looking for their pinchy fix! :toot:
I managed to upload an older video of Jojo changing shells. What most people don't realize is that land hermit crabs are not easy on the eyes when they aren't in a shell. The shell protects their maggoty looking abdomen which holds most of their vital organs, and fat and nutrient stores. If you notice closely at 0:15, you'll see a grayish, shiny "bubble" on the right side of his abdomen which is his molting sac. The molting sac swells up with water, salt, nutrients, and fat in preparation for an impending molt. You can also tell he's ready to molt by how "chalky" parts of his exoskeleton look. Usually when they're freshly molted, they look ruddier, or a deeper purple than before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYqPcItV-c

He's a bigger boy now, and he's in a much larger shell as you can see in the clip of him eating shrimp. He's kind of a fashion diva, for he is quite finicky about his shells and ends up changing into different ones all the time. I'm actually having a hard time finding the right size for his fat rear end since he eats and eats and then grows. Right now he's digging into some unshelled sunflower seeds and dried cattail leaves I grabbed from a small pond nearby. He makes quick work of seeds with his beefy-rear end claw.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

How do they maintain a grip on the inside of those shells?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My inlaws purchased hermit crabs for my son back in June and when I found out that those plastic carriers basically doom them to asphyxiation I ordered $200 worth of crab supplies. Got them through at least two molts each but they still died. It's horrible that they have this reputation as "low maintenance" pets. :sigh:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I want to buy a crab made of porcelain but that there is a species called the porcelain crab is making it hard to google.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Honky Dong Country posted:

How do they maintain a grip on the inside of those shells?

That's a great question with an even greater answer!

..........Pure..........loving..........MAGIC!!!!

Nah, but seriously, I believe it's a combination of their curly abdomen, their 4th and 5th pair of tiny legs that help grip inside the shell, and finally a pair of appendages on the tip of their abdomen called, "Uropods".

Here's a basic anatomy overview of just about all hermit crabs, marine or land types.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat that's creepy looking.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
I love eating crabs but I hate those mudcrabs.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
When I was in Martinique a few years ago it was crab season, and one of the little bastards ran out into the road and challenged my car as I was driving, so I made sure to drive around him to show respect for his warrior spirit welp that's my crab story

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

nice dude, i'm pretty interested in the ecosystem part. Do you have to clean the crab poo poo at all? Or does the garbage crew truly take care of everything? iirc chias can actually grow into a tree if you let them

I used to periodically spot clean the tank, especially after Jojo would leave post-Thanksgiving-sized turds behind, but now at this point with all the tiny critters living in the substrate and under the moss, the poo poo practically disappears on its own after several days.

I did throw some chia seeds in one of the houseplant pots and they grew about a foot before flowering. Can’t say I would call them trees, though! :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNKgh6TfWXo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I always read the thread title as those "Farmers Only!" commercials. Where the thread is a place for crabs to chat and hookup with eachother but its ok if you aren't a crab and are just into them for your own creepy reasons.

Well done.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Tales of really loving crab people.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Volcott posted:

Tales of really loving crab people.

nice man, he really brings the scene together

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

All my drat crabs except for Jojo are buried and molting, so I cant get any more neat footage until they emerge or Jojo decapitates another blowfly!

Ah well....Here's Jojo getting owned by a doorstop. He loves it when I take him for a "walk" in the room where the crabitat is set up. Inevitably, he just can't seem to get it together whenever he comes across the dreaded doorstop. He won't go around, he won't go over, he feels the only way is UNDER the springy doorstop. Also, if you listen closely enough at the very end, you'll hear some serious purring from my kitty who bonked my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEfOb2Gr4wE

ALSO....this doesn't qualify as crabby goodness, but someone was interested in the terrarium goings-on. So...

I found two separate female field crickets at my work back in October and put them in the crabitat because I knew that they would thrive in there. Sure enough, they did; They ate the same food as the crabs, and since it was the end of their life cycle, that meant the lady crickets had to poop out some eggs, which they did. The crickets died naturally, but now I must have at least 100 baby field crickets running around, hiding in the spare shells and nibbling everything they can. I'm slowly but surely transferring them into my spare setup, and they seem to be adjusting just fine. They even love their little terra-cotta pumpkin house/food dish! Roll that beautiful bug footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZkaqlh0_N4

(Sorry for the terrible camera perspective. I can't take videos to save my life.)

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 26, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I had seafood pho for dinner tonight, but it did not have crab.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Ok. JoJo vs. doorstop is :lol:
But probably not supposed to be

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Spinster posted:

Ok. JoJo vs. doorstop is :lol:
But probably not supposed to be

It absolutely is supposed to be.

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY WORRIED ABOUT OFFENDING ME OVER LAUGHING AT MY DUMB CRAB THAT WAS BESTED BY AN INANIMATE OBJECT?

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 26, 2017

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ContraBoss posted:

It absolutely is supposed to be.

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY WORRIED ABOUT OFFENDING ME OVER LAUGHING AT MY DUMB CRAB THAT WAS BESTED BY AN INANIMATE OBJECT?

No. It was that you filmed it at all. :buddy:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Time to get a lizard friend for your cricket buddies

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Lovin the crabs, the baby crickets will eat the hell out of some chunks of potato.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHvPJD_558

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Jojo just really likes the doorstop

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

That's a great question with an even greater answer!

..........Pure..........loving..........MAGIC!!!!

Nah, but seriously, I believe it's a combination of their curly abdomen, their 4th and 5th pair of tiny legs that help grip inside the shell, and finally a pair of appendages on the tip of their abdomen called, "Uropods".

Here's a basic anatomy overview of just about all hermit crabs, marine or land types.

Dang, that's a hell of a derived abdomen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mq_63fEdI

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Cutest case of crabs I've ever caught! I found this lil' snipper either in the Caribbean or Western Africa(It was from 2010 I don't remember):

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ContraBoss posted:

Cutest case of crabs I've ever caught! I found this lil' snipper either in the Caribbean or Western Africa(It was from 2010 I don't remember):

Your childhood was traumatic, i see that there was a giant upheaval, perhaps your parents divorced?
Then another life changing event in your 30s. None of this drama involves your love life.

You will move or travel often, and live a long time from what I can see.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Spinster posted:

Your childhood was traumatic, i see that there was a giant upheaval, perhaps your parents divorced?
Then another life changing event in your 30s. None of this drama involves your love life.

You will move or travel often, and live a long time from what I can see.

Close! I actually have a ton of fond childhood memories, but a poo poo load of insecurities resulting from various real/perceived failures at school/work or embarrassing experiences. My parents did split, but I was 16/17 and it wasn't that traumatic. What does eat me more than I wish is the fact that my family was so much happier in the 90s, and now they're mostly consumed by their own demons, and I feel their pain every day. :smith:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Fiddler crabs are aces in my book!

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

ContraBoss posted:

Close! I actually have a ton of fond childhood memories, but a poo poo load of insecurities resulting from various real/perceived failures at school/work or embarrassing experiences. My parents did split, but I was 16/17 and it wasn't that traumatic. What does eat me more than I wish is the fact that my family was so much happier in the 90s, and now they're mostly consumed by their own demons, and I feel their pain every day. :smith:

Well the image was a little blurry. I don't have any crabs of my own but man are they neat.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I also like this crab:

Seems quite regal. Royalty or nobility perhaps.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

I also like this crab:

Just saw these guys on Imgur

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ContraBoss posted:

Was your family crabs in the 90s?

naem
May 29, 2011

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol this owns

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was your family crabs in the 90s?

:psyboom:
This really shouldn't make as much sense as it actually does in my mind...

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Mo_Steel posted:

I also like this crab:

I was just watching that on telly. There are smart crabs and not so smart crabs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

naem posted:

Just saw these guys on Imgur

Molting looks like a lot of hard work but I bet it feels real satisfying. We lowly vertebrates will never know what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjQROsZL0I