Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

my stepdads beer posted:

this game owned especially the part where it was like 30% done and the screenshots on the back didn't match the gameplay. also ticking the boxes for launch

when you think about it it's the proto "no man's sky" or that awful trash game where you buy spaceships but get poo poo on

my friend showed me demos of no man's sky and it looked kick-rear end but ended up being ya know, a garbage fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

this is a solar hot water system. the way it works is that there'd be a pump pumping propylene glycol through collectors on the roof to a heat exchanger inside the two tanks on the left, maybe that third one as well. that would heat up the water coming in off the street to between 120F/49C and 140F/60C then there'd either be a regular hot water heater to get it to whatever the target temp is.

the reason it's so messy is because plumbers rarely work with solar hot water, and instead it's solar installers who are doing it. the install crew was also probably told to get it installed super fast and not gently caress about going to a plumbing supply store or anything because solar installers always have really low margins. thats why they didn't have anyone bend pipe and just used straight pieces that they cut to about the right length with really standard fittings, all 90s and 45s and a few Ts it looks like to me, nothing less common. the copper pipe used for solar hot water has a much thicker wall and you need someone who is good at bending pipe to do it properly if you're going to bend because you have to put a lot of strength into it with a lot of control to prevent kinking it.

solar hot water is the worst and i hate it, i wish california would get rid of the incentive so that it would just die already.

plumber chiming in...

you're not going to be bending anything bigger than 3/8" copper tubing for anything modern if you want it to code. that setup looks like 3/4". also every solar setup I've ever seen has used plain old "M" thickness rigid tubing just like any other code-compliant install. solar doesn't require anything thicker that I'm aware of. you can't use the thinner "L" stuff on *anything* other than relief valve lines no matter if it's solar or standard.

that being said HOOOOLY gently caress that's a lot of wasted money in pro-press fittings which also makes me think this had to be put in without a hot work (ie soldering) permit. also i'll bet they're gonna get some water hammering with all that hosed up unsupported routing. i'd love to see the inspector's face

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIkeJgrbHU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

proclick right there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m the dolphin trousers

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

my stepdads beer posted:

this game owned especially the part where it was like 30% done and the screenshots on the back didn't match the gameplay. also ticking the boxes for launch

i liked how you could pick a system at the v beginning based on some probes and lose the game as soon as you got there since whoops no planets for u

the 90s ruled for poo poo like that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its called replay value bicth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Farmdizzle posted:

also i'll bet they're gonna get some water hammering with all that hosed up unsupported routing. i'd love to see the inspector's face

this is all my dumb engineer brain was screaming at me for this pic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is all my dumb engineer brain was screaming at me for this pic
water hammers are cool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

water hammers are cool

easily the best part of fluid dynamics

https://i.imgur.com/FjI1DPV.mp4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

the new Dwayn Johnson movie "Rampage" based on the old video game opens up on April 20th of next year and you loving well know that the marketing dept understood that making sure it opened on that date was the best idea.

gently caress yeah I'm definitely going to get incredibly blazed and watch a movie with a giant ape, wolf, and alligator destroying a city.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MEIN LEBEN

8 Balls, Center Pocket

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fermun posted:

this is a solar hot water system. the way it works is that there'd be a pump pumping propylene glycol through collectors on the roof to a heat exchanger inside the two tanks on the left, maybe that third one as well. that would heat up the water coming in off the street to between 120F/49C and 140F/60C then there'd either be a regular hot water heater to get it to whatever the target temp is.

the reason it's so messy is because plumbers rarely work with solar hot water, and instead it's solar installers who are doing it. the install crew was also probably told to get it installed super fast and not gently caress about going to a plumbing supply store or anything because solar installers always have really low margins. thats why they didn't have anyone bend pipe and just used straight pieces that they cut to about the right length with really standard fittings, all 90s and 45s and a few Ts it looks like to me, nothing less common. the copper pipe used for solar hot water has a much thicker wall and you need someone who is good at bending pipe to do it properly if you're going to bend because you have to put a lot of strength into it with a lot of control to prevent kinking it.

solar hot water is the worst and i hate it, i wish california would get rid of the incentive so that it would just die already.

the house i grew up in had solar hot water and it was fine. also i never saw any poo poo even remotely like that in the house

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m not sure how it is in states that don’t have shitloads of free water but here in Michigan your source pipe is almost always 3/4” or 1” copper with 3/4” supplying your hot water heater and washing machine and the rest of the house having ½” copper of pvc supply

I’ve never seen 3/8” pipe before

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m not sure how it is in states that don’t have shitloads of free water but here in Michigan your source pipe is almost always 3/4” or 1” copper with 3/4” supplying your hot water heater and washing machine and the rest of the house having ½” copper of pvc supply

then you haven't looked down

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

theflyingorc posted:

drat that is ruuuuude :newlol:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

you son of a bitch

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

:piaa:

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

fuckin ice cold lmao

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Torpedo

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

https://www.flickr.com/photos/denee/sets/72157613920556579/

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

theflyingorc posted:

brutal

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

so are you supposed to interpret this as "toy pedo" or "your pedo"

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

i thought i really sucked at that game for a while until i found out that it was totally unfinished and i actually couldn't have made any progress. that was a lot of money for a kid to waste.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

slightly less egregious than outpost, but still

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Nice!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

https://twitter.com/Mike_Agresta/status/900748304740495360

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

you can only feed up to 3 fixtures with a 1/2" line. if you have any more than that on the other side of a house like say two or more bathrooms theres usually gonna be a 3/4 going to some kind of tee unless theres a manifold. 3/8" is used for supply lines to appliances like swamp coolers and ice makers

anyway pics thread, i had to see this horrid typeface so now you do too

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Farmdizzle posted:

you can only feed up to 3 fixtures with a 1/2" line. if you have any more than that on the other side of a house like say two or more bathrooms theres usually gonna be a 3/4 going to some kind of tee unless theres a manifold. 3/8" is used for supply lines to appliances like swamp coolers and ice makers

anyway pics thread, i had to see this horrid typeface so now you do too

what.the.gently caress

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

thanks nasa, for teaching me what that is

i was so excited about this game as a kid, but it sucked. i loved going through all the cutscene avi’s though. those made it worth it i guess?!

e: I completely forgot how to do gifv, and i’ve been looking through other posts of how others do it, and i can’t find a drat one!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looks like maybe a print typeface with emphasis to ink pooling being rendered to screen maybe?

my guess is they found it free (or 'free') somewhere and have no clue typefaces need to be hinted properly and not every typeface is meant for displays

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'i need to look modern, get helvetica!'

*take adobes ancient bundled print version from cracked cs 1*

'perfect!'

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 25, 2017

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

this automates the crab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

theflyingorc posted:

i heard a backboard breaking sound come from my phone and when I turned it on there was just this post

• Locked thread