Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Derek and FTR getting into a spergfight really does make this sub worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

these guys are never going to get any mercy from me. Only the innocent ones who just wanted a loving game, and who didn't engage in Shitizenry, are the ones exempt and will be spared the wrath of Da Warlord.

You know what you need to do, is tweet your blood pressure.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

these guys are never going to get any mercy from me. Only the innocent ones who just wanted a loving game, and who didn't engage in Shitizenry, are the ones exempt and will be spared the wrath of Da Warlord.

Calm down and take a deep breath Derek. You're gonna give yourself an aneurysm if you explode at every former citizen :ohdear:.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

Go gently caress yourself; this isn't your safe space.

ps: as to your alternate reality of what happened with the Amazon dev, I have both links and screen shots, which I will post later when I get back home.

Do it buttercup........It'd be the first time in your life you actually delivered.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

He's going full warlord, repeat FULL WARLORD!

Prepare the :lol: bags and abandon thread!

:lol:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't have any books to recommend.

However I highly, highly recommend Pluralsight. It's basically a huge collection of video lecture series on everything under the sun. If he's looking to get into web development, here's a starting link:
https://www.pluralsight.com/browse/software-development/web-development

To add on to this slightly- there's really three big areas of development at your average company- database, mid layer or API, and front end or UI. DB's are written in all sorts of crazy crap but the standard these days (at least, in my neck of the woods) is TSQL which is Microsoft's interpretation of the SQL language. At the mid-layer, API's are again written in all sorts of crazy crap but I've kind of focused on C# and .Net as my go-to in the last couple of years. C# is, again, Microsoft's evolution of the c++ language. On the front end it really depends what you're going for. Most modern web applications are written using some kind of Javascript library- be it React, or Angular, or what have you. Learning Javascript is kind of fundamental to all of them. Desktop apps can use anything- but usually use some variant of c or c++.

If the ultimate goal is to get hired, you will be a much more effective programmer if you understand the whole stack, but most places are only looking for front end talent- that's where all the buzzwords are, and you can get a good job by focusing entirely on Javascript if you get conversant in it. I went through the job hunt process again just a couple months ago and putting React and Angular on your resume will get you in the door at about 60% of the companies- SQL and various framework buzzwords make up the rest. If you know the languages behind the libraries, you can learn the libraries in days-to-weeks once you see what your geographic area is really calling for. Try to figure out what frameworks the company uses before you go to the first interview- check their website, check the job posting, ask them if you can- and then do a 2-3 hour pluralsight course on it prior to walking in the door. That'll usually put you on a pretty good footing with your basic recruiters. Occasionally you're going to run up against one of those hardcore gatekeepers who asks you to do demonstrate that you understand fundamental CS principles like binary search algorithms or Big O notation. To be clear, none of this is necessary to write code, but knowing it will make you a better developer. In those cases I really recommend you take some pluralsight courses on the following:

Hash tables
Linked lists
Breadth-first search, depth-first search
Quicksort, merge sort
Binary search
2D arrays
Dynamic arrays
Binary search trees
Dynamic programming
Big-O analysis

Finally, I hear this book is really helpful but haven't had a chance to go through it myself.
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Interviews-Exposed-Secrets-Landing/dp/1118261364/

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 25, 2017

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

He's going full warlord, repeat FULL WARLORD!

Prepare the :lol: bags and abandon thread!

:lol:

Alright folks I want a path cleared on all sides.

We've got a Derek Smart warning for the next four hours.

At that time we expect it to somehow puppetmaster itself and collapse but until then there is extreme risk of pedantry and a 99% chance for verbosity.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

VictorianQueerLit posted:

At that time we expect it to somehow puppetmaster itself and collapse but until then there is extreme risk of pedantry and a 99% chance for verbosity.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKzoGTDUvhTdT4_P5MW2

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

this twitch stream is amazing. he goes to summon some special ground vehicle, but it spawns under someones crashed ship, and then he dies when gets inside and falls through the floor. also 30 seconds to move through doors and not being able to read menus because they're on space ipads.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey programmer Goons, my brother in law is teaching himself programming and I was wondering if you had any book recommendations. Maybe something like that Clean Code book that was discussed earlier?

I would suggest completely language-agnostic Code simplicity. Looking at reviews some folks seem to get angry for paying for a book which states "obvious things" and doesn't contain actual 'code'. But I think it is quite good for those 90 pages, especially for people who have not had all that experience to learn those "obvious things" from their own mistakes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

VictorianQueerLit posted:

what's the % chance for a "i built these forums" meltdown

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

respawned, for some reason stuck to floor. thrilling.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nyast posted:

I've been watching all the streams since the 3.0 PTU "release", and it's absolutely hilarious.

But the developer in me must be fair and mention that half of the bugs/issues seem related to poor server/network performance. Things such as massive input delays ( sometimes in the order of tens of seconds ), jittering / avatars / ships teleporting around, stuff bouncing or weird loss of control ( you don't touch anything but your ship still moves ): I'm pretty sure most of this is coming from their test server being overloaded. Does anybody know if they still use the 60+ player count limit ? Because if they do, my little finger tells me they're probably going to decrease it soon in order to keep the server from saturating. So half of these problems could easily be swept under the carpet.

You're missing something important: Not even under ideal network conditions would these systems function correctly. All of the useless, annoying fidelity isn't technologically feasible in an MMO architecture. What makes it more hilarious is that Star Citizen doesn't even have an MMO architecture, it's still pretty basic multi-player FPS netcode, with some flagrant hacks to support big maps. All the cringeworthy animation triggers need to be synced. Ships' rotating modular components, ladders, doors, ramps, elevators, chair slides, landing gear animations, fuckin' kick rear end helmet flips, all that needs to be synced. The collisions are permanently broken because their models and colliders are too complicated. Their poly count is still way too high.

And to top it all off.... there is no gameplay. None of the things above support gameplay. The things that are breaking the game are only there because Chris Roberts is an imbecile and thinks they're cool, and all that stupid, complicated fluff is the only thing in the game. I mean, they spent all this time getting "render to texture" working so they could display picture-in-picture with "high fidelity" but trading, mining, bounty hunting, repair, salvage, exploration, aliens, etc... still afterthoughts.

And don't even get me started on the flight model.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Nyeehg posted:

Calm down and take a deep breath Derek. You're gonna give yourself an aneurysm if you explode at every former citizen :ohdear:.

Cut him some slack. Someone in his household used some milk from the refrigerator today and, when they put it back, they returned it to the wrong shelf.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Nyast posted:

I've been watching all the streams since the 3.0 PTU "release", and it's absolutely hilarious.

But the developer in me must be fair and mention that half of the bugs/issues seem related to poor server/network performance. Things such as massive input delays ( sometimes in the order of tens of seconds ), jittering / avatars / ships teleporting around, stuff bouncing or weird loss of control ( you don't touch anything but your ship still moves ): I'm pretty sure most of this is coming from their test server being overloaded. Does anybody know if they still use the 60+ player count limit ? Because if they do, my little finger tells me they're probably going to decrease it soon in order to keep the server from saturating. So half of these problems could easily be swept under the carpet.

It's capped at 50 per instance right now

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RayRoocroft/status/934271099382259714
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/934410016580358144
https://twitter.com/Thoughtfulwand1/status/934420145019211776
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/934422039376617472

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah, the /r/DS sub was a great archive for all your rantings and side stepping. I love how you make predictions based on all of your "inside sources" and they are never right, but then thanks to that sub when you try to pretend you never said it, they have meticulously documented proof you did.

That sub was a great resource when you started spewing your crap in my channel. It was particularly great after you threw a little baby hissy fit when you came in claiming you had already talked to Yakaru at length and I posted your Twitter DM exchange of you trying to talk to her and she says one sentence to you and you go on and on and on.

Then to class act up your Smartism some more you see the screen cap and lose your poo poo over your "Privacy", to which with literally zero effort I posted you sharing the exact same Twitter DM's 20 days earlier on your blog without Yakaru's consent. So not only do you just make poo poo up about Star Citizen, that carries over to everything you do huh?

The idea of you saying to ANYONE that Star Citizen is _________ because of them is hilarious, because you are unanimously the reason that the community is so polarized and full of double down syndrome.

You can take the citizen out of the poo poo game, but you can't take the poo poo out of the citizen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sarsapariller posted:

To add on to this slightly- there's really three big areas of development at your average company- database, mid layer or API, and front end or UI. DB's are written in all sorts of crazy crap but the standard these days (at least, in my neck of the woods) is TSQL which is Microsoft's interpretation of the SQL language. At the mid-layer, API's are again written in all sorts of crazy crap but I've kind of focused on C# and .Net as my go-to in the last couple of years. C# is, again, Microsoft's evolution of the c++ language. On the front end it really depends what you're going for. Most modern web applications are written using some kind of Javascript library- be it React, or Angular, or what have you. Learning Javascript is kind of fundamental to all of them. Desktop apps can use anything- but usually use some variant of c or c++.

Beer, it's also relevant what kind of programs he wants to create. Does he want to make web apps and stuff that runs on web pages etc, or make programs that run locally. A lot of the fundamental knowledge crosses over between the two, but it's good to have an initial target for what you are shooting for. If he's going for more web oriented stuff, what Sarsapariller says up here would be a better initial focus than just diving into C++.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Colostomy Bag posted:

Comes down to basic physics versus Robert's vision.

As designed, the game cannot be made to his vision in a MMO environment. There are so many levels where it fails on just the basic levels of what "could be accomplished." Speed of light is drat slow. CPUs are drat slow. Atoms are too big, etc.

Imagine a persistent universe stored in a DB. Player 1 dies and his ship is floating in space (mind you, these game mechanics aren't fleshed out yet). Player two with his Reclaimer chariot wants to scavenge P1's ship for parts. So somehow, we need to store all the X-Y-Z geometry in a DB. Along with all the random parts they modeled in with thousands of polys.

But hey, that's when you get to the good stuff. They are still working ladders and doors.

Just wait until Items 3.0

Czechmate, goon

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Comes down to basic physics versus Robert's vision.

As designed, the game cannot be made to his vision in a MMO environment. There are so many levels where it fails on just the basic levels of what "could be accomplished." Speed of light is drat slow. CPUs are drat slow. Atoms are too big, etc.

Imagine a persistent universe stored in a DB. Player 1 dies and his ship is floating in space (mind you, these game mechanics aren't fleshed out yet). Player two with his Reclaimer chariot wants to scavenge P1's ship for parts. So somehow, we need to store all the X-Y-Z geometry in a DB. Along with all the random parts they modeled in with thousands of polys.

But hey, that's when you get to the good stuff. They are still working ladders and doors.

Nothing about Star Citizen works on any level. Just pick a single aspect - it can be anything, really - and think about it for more than 1 minute and congratulations: you've discovered that Star Citizen can't be made.

Example: Let's say they managed to get their "100 people on a server" (ROFL - work with me.) World of Warcraft has around 100 zones, not counting instances. If everyone spread out, they'd never run into another player.

Ah, but Star Citizen is not WoW, it's a living breathing universe world. It has planets and moons and stars and shitloads of space everywhere - totally realistic because of fidelity. (Let's skip the rather obvious fact that fidelity, which is how closely something resembles reality, cannot be applied to things that are not real.) Houston, TX has a little over 2 million people. That's 1 city. If there were 100 people in the city, they'd only see each other occasionally. Houston is just a dot on the map of Texas, which contains it. If 100 people lived in Texas, they might literally never see each other unless they started out together and stayed that way. Texas is one state, the US is one country, etc. etc.

100 people.

Now add just the meager amount of "content" Star Citizen has - what, a space station? A "moon"? Whatever generic absolute garbage Chris and his team of invalids shat out, imagine spreading out 100 people across it. He thinks he's going to create what, quintillions of NPCs to fill in this crap?

100 players. They can't even get that many on and working, but just think about the ridiculously low population that is at any rate. So if he can't get more than 100 people in an instance, what's the solution? Spinning up even more loving universes, all with their own "millions of subsumpion AI" NPCs sitting around in their virtual wank pods?

At what point does Chris realize that he's proposing a virtual reality that's infinitely larger than the goddamned Matrix? Did he think that film was a documentary, and that the guys who build the Matrix just weren't thinking big enough?

Nothing in this game works. Not conceptually, and not literally. What exactly this game would be, how it would play out, what parts would be built and which not, and deciding on the gameplay surface area should have been locked down before Chris even opened his Sloth-like face and asked for his first penny. But it didn't, so now a collection of pedophiles and malcontents are waiting for Captain Fuckstick to deliver the impossible.

Even the name "Star Citizen" is goddamned stupid, and just oozes "Heaven's Gate" cult-speak.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dr slut posted:

You can take the citizen out of the poo poo game, but you can't take the poo poo out of the citizen.

You remember how the thread was just talking about "SC critics are bad, derek smart is a critic, ergo derek smart is bad and every critic is derek smart"?

the opposite isn't any better tia

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quit doxing me.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Not sure if that's wishful thinking on his part or just outright stupidity. :shrug:

Does he think 3.0 is "good"? He's got remarkably low standards for games if so.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scruffpuff posted:

Nothing about Star Citizen works on any level. Just pick a single aspect - it can be anything, really - and think about it for more than 1 minute and congratulations: you've discovered that Star Citizen can't be made.

Example: Let's say they managed to get their "100 people on a server" (ROFL - work with me.) World of Warcraft has around 100 zones, not counting instances. If everyone spread out, they'd never run into another player.

Ah, but Star Citizen is not WoW, it's a living breathing universe world. It has planets and moons and stars and shitloads of space everywhere - totally realistic because of fidelity. (Let's skip the rather obvious fact that fidelity, which is how closely something resembles reality, cannot be applied to things that are not real.) Houston, TX has a little over 2 million people. That's 1 city. If there were 100 people in the city, they'd only see each other occasionally. Houston is just a dot on the map of Texas, which contains it. If 100 people lived in Texas, they might literally never see each other unless they started out together and stayed that way. Texas is one state, the US is one country, etc. etc.

100 people.

Now add just the meager amount of "content" Star Citizen has - what, a space station? A "moon"? Whatever generic absolute garbage Chris and his team of invalids shat out, imagine spreading out 100 people across it. He thinks he's going to create what, quintillions of NPCs to fill in this crap?

100 players. They can't even get that many on and working, but just think about the ridiculously low population that is at any rate. So if he can't get more than 100 people in an instance, what's the solution? Spinning up even more loving universes, all with their own "millions of subsumpion AI" NPCs sitting around in their virtual wank pods?

At what point does Chris realize that he's proposing a virtual reality that's infinitely larger than the goddamned Matrix? Did he think that film was a documentary, and that the guys who build the Matrix just weren't thinking big enough?

Nothing in this game works. Not conceptually, and not literally. What exactly this game would be, how it would play out, what parts would be built and which not, and deciding on the gameplay surface area should have been locked down before Chris even opened his Sloth-like face and asked for his first penny. But it didn't, so now a collection of pedophiles and malcontents are waiting for Captain Fuckstick to deliver the impossible.

Even the name "Star Citizen" is goddamned stupid, and just oozes "Heaven's Gate" cult-speak.

You've completely ignored the server meshing thats in the game but just not implemented yet. There will be one shard with thousands of hundred player servers.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You've completely ignored the server meshing thats in the game but just not implemented yet. There will be one shard with thousands of hundred player servers.

post some balls motherfuker.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I stand corrected.

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You remember how the thread was just talking about "SC critics are bad, derek smart is a critic, ergo derek smart is bad and every critic is derek smart"?

the opposite isn't any better tia

That's probably why I included that quote of him being an unrepentant piece of poo poo to prove my point.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey programmer Goons, my brother in law is teaching himself programming and I was wondering if you had any book recommendations. Maybe something like that Clean Code book that was discussed earlier?

No, if he is still learning to actually program, it won't do him much good. He needs a good foundation before principles and best practice are useful. The world does not need more cargo cult programmers. Depending on what his ambitions are, what platform he wants to work on and what prior experience he has, he should pick a language, and get books relevant to that language. Entry-level computer science books are also good: data structures, algorithms, computer and operating system architecture, etc.

If not covered by his initial language choice (good choices: C#, Rust, Java; bad choices: Python, JavaScript), I strongly recommend he learns C++ and a functional language, which could be F#, ML or Erlang.

When learning to program, people write lovely code. That's to be expected and part of the learning process. (There's also a larger discussion about principles and patterns not being equally relevant/useful in all settings, but I don't want this to turn into a blog, so I better stop).

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
yeah, you really nailed your point there.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

PederP posted:

I strongly recommend he learns C++ and a functional language, which could be F#, ML or Erlang.

My real recommendation for new programmers is to learn C++ and X86-64 assembly, but that would scare too many people away, and is a bit overkill for a fresh amateur who has web stuff in mind.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dr slut posted:

That's probably why I included that quote of him being an unrepentant piece of poo poo to prove my point.

i guess more than half the posters in this thread are unrepentant pieces of poo poo, then, if "calling out derek for doing a thing" is the hurdle to get that title

mods can we get a gang tag

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

FailureToReport posted:

The Project? Marketing and Sales

The Game? .........can I phone a friend?

Honestly, I think "space legs", it's one of the biggest things I see people who are Star Citizen backers but haven't played Elite complain about and I kind of agree with them as a more recent Elite player.

People want to explore and feel like their ships are a part of their "lives", not feel like they are part of their ship. Star Citizen's hallmark that separates it from every other option out there is that you can get up out of your seat and move about your ship or where-ever you land.

I don't even think games like Elite or Infinity:Battlescape would have to do this WELL, I think it's just a general thing most space sim players want. You want that full on Star Trek/Star Wars/<Insert Other SciFi Show> experience of feeling like your ship is more than just a cockpit and a window out into space.

I might be stretching a bit trying to say that's what they do right, but it's a complaint I see a LOT of SC players say about other game options out there, besides that, I don't really know WHAT they do right because they really haven't DONE much that is actually in game.

Well i have good news. Hellion does space legs better. It is however in early access, so buying it is huge risk especially with its development speed (still faster than star citizen, for example just today i got news that new patch is hitting their version of evocati). It also has grabby hands and components and station building. It does not have any endgame just like in star citizen.

if elite dangerous is million miles wide and only 1 inch deep.
then Hellion is million miles deep but only 1 inch wide.

Star citizen is pothole with soon tm sign placed at bottom of pit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/934297813130682368
https://twitter.com/tabascoid/status/934315921757351936
https://twitter.com/CitizenGrandpa/status/934338799294992384

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i guess more than half the posters in this thread are unrepentant pieces of poo poo, then, if "calling out derek for doing a thing" is the hurdle to get that title

mods can we get a gang tag

Currently to be eligible for a custom gang tag you have to be on the block list, I think. But I actually really want someone with artistic talent to come up with something like a "Blocked Buddies" gangtag so I can stop doing these individual uploads lol.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

0.25mm solid metal credit card that only ever registers a debt, I'll call the banks and let them know you have the entirety of the planets metal wealth locked up in the blood donor card slot of your wallet.

There's more loving metal in the average stainless soda can lol.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 25, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/s1BXsTY.gifv

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FailureToReport posted:

yeah, you really nailed your point there.

Alright so here's the deal. People are gonna rib you for a while, and if you go around un-ironically arguing/replying, you're gonna get dogpiled and have a meltdown. Interacting with the intractable cess pit of white knighting Star Citizens has poisoned your brain a bit, but there's a cure: humor. Always remember, the reason these forums exist is because the world is ridiculous and laughing at it helps. If you wanna post here, your primary goal should be to entertain people.

Some people are just natural joke machines, like peter gabriel. Other people make funny photoshops. SCTrumpHater is a classic "gimmic" account where he baits people into arguing with him by posing as a smug SC fanatic (don't do that, we all hate it).

If you feel pissed off and wanna "own" somebody, :lurkmore:
If you feel like arguing with someone, :lurkmore:
When in doubt :lurkmore:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

My real recommendation for new programmers is to learn C++ and X86-64 assembly, but that would scare too many people away, and is a bit overkill for a fresh amateur who has web stuff in mind.

Should they learn how transistors work too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Alright so here's the deal. People are gonna rib you for a while, and if you go around un-ironically arguing/replying, you're gonna get dogpiled and have a meltdown. Interacting with the intractable cess pit of white knighting Star Citizens has poisoned your brain a bit, but there's a cure: humor. Always remember, the reason these forums exist is because the world is ridiculous and laughing at it helps. If you wanna post here, your primary goal should be to just post cats.