Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Omfg so many verboses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FailureToReport posted:

Is this where I go to buy all the space ships?

Welcome to the thread, friend. :)

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah, the /r/DS sub was a great archive for all your rantings and side stepping. I love how you make predictions based on all of your "inside sources" and they are never right, but then thanks to that sub when you try to pretend you never said it, they have meticulously documented proof you did.

That sub was a great resource when you started spewing your crap in my channel. It was particularly great after you threw a little baby hissy fit when you came in claiming you had already talked to Yakaru at length and I posted your Twitter DM exchange of you trying to talk to her and she says one sentence to you and you go on and on and on.

Then to class act up your Smartism some more you see the screen cap and lose your poo poo over your "Privacy", to which with literally zero effort I posted you sharing the exact same Twitter DM's 20 days earlier on your blog without Yakaru's consent. So not only do you just make poo poo up about Star Citizen, that carries over to everything you do huh?

The idea of you saying to ANYONE that Star Citizen is _________ because of them is hilarious, because you are unanimously the reason that the community is so polarized and full of double down syndrome.

After watching your meltdown video, I just can't help but to read this in your little crybaby nasal voice filled with salty tears if impotence. The only thing that makes this more hilarious is imaging you slamming your tiny balled fists against the desk as you have a slapfight with Derek in the one place you cannot possibly win. Keep up the good work, we've been waiting for such a long time for this sort of entertainment.

Oh. And one last thing. How much are you in for Commando?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah, I really probably should have done some post on that video, I've had mic issues being too quiet for the longest time and then finally figured out what the issue was but didn't consider it when making that video so it sounds about 10x more autist than I wanted it to. I know people hate the voice, but I cannot express how much I hate the people who say the kind of poo poo I parody with that voice any other way, and it's not like I take my channel seriously at all.

If I wanted my channel to blow up and be "successful" I'd churn out videos saying how amazing everything about CIG and Star Citizen is, make a video where I talk about what CIG talked about in every ATV, etc etc etc. It was never meant to be taken seriously, but a ton of people don't get it and I just didn't care enough to point it out in every video.

Like I'm not retarded, I knew how that video was going to be received, my sub count has been bleeding out since I posted that and I totally expect to dip back under 1k over it.

I liked your most recent meltdown, and the one from a few months ago when you first lost faith in The Cause. So I must have listened to, like, an hour of you rant and I was never not entertained.

What do you think of Bored Gamer?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't home at the time I posted the previous response. So I was saving the best for last. As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

First, I want to thank the Heavenly Father for continuing to show you loving heathens that the only true religion is one that is led by divine order, not some clueless moron born of man.

Second, I would like to thank the Goon (on my Discord) who bought you a $10 account so you could step out of your safe space and into the real digital world where you have no powa.

Oh, FYI, Goons buy accounts for fresh meat all the time. Paying 10 bux doesn't make you a Goon. It makes you a dumb gently caress who got roped into posting at the one place where everyone eats their young, and for good measure, even the old ladies, during a slow week. See: MoMa

I am also happy that you were dumb (I told you to take your meds, right?) enough to post this regurgitated vomit that's devoid of any logic (yeah, yeah, I know, Shitizens are as dumb as a bag of strap-on dildos in the bargain bin at a strip mall; but I digress) - at all.

Here's the thing. You and your turd-brained poo poo gargling girlfriends, ARE the reason that we're here, and the reason that the entire community is polarized.

The fact that you - and your circle jerk buddies - are still singing this "Oh you!!" mantra, is testament to the fact that you're all a bunch of completely broken gently caress sticks, bereft of anything resembling decent human beings worthy of being in society, let alone among normal people.

If your excuse for behaving the way that you have for the past years is because one POSITIVELY INSANE, AUTISTIC & CRANKY OLD GAME DEV wrote a loving blog (like nobody ever did that before, you see), then it makes the most sense that you all continued to give money to a bona fide scam artist who has all but poo poo in an ice cooler and passed it around so that you all can get the experience of what the turd from the guy you all made a millionaire, smells like.

In July 2015, I wrote the infamous "July Blog". In it, I said the game as pitched couldn't be made because Chris Roberts had extended the scope beyond the capabilities of the tech, the team, and the money.

They responded (at the behest of Sandi Gardiner & Ben Lesnick, according to my sources) by lying about why they kicked out my account and refunded me.

We now know - without a doubt - that the only reason why a multi-millionaire corp, led by a hapless wannabe visionary who has busted every loving project/company he ever touched, would even bother to respond to what many at the time believed to be the rantings of a "jealous" developer, is if there was SOME fact to what was written.

I have spent almost THREE loving DECADES building massive and complex games in the genre. Every loving tech you could possibly think of putting in a space/planetary combat game, I've either developed, or prototyped. And there is NOTHING in Star Citizen that's remotely revolutionary, groundbreaking, or original. Sure, my games aren't popular, they're not blockbusters, and they don't cater to a large audience. But so loving what? Anyone who knows my history, knows that I never - ever - set out to do that, or I would have changed course. A group of people keep buying the games that I make, so I kept making them. Audience size and revenue are irrelevant if you can make enough money to pay your bills and develop the games you want to develop. That's what an indie is. That's who I am, always was, and always will be.

Heck, just for the sheer fun of it, I just spent two loving weeks working on and releasing (on Thanksgiving Day, no less) a patch for a game I loving released in 2008, and which sold less than 100 copies in the past quarter. Why? Because I loving can, and because for me, it's fun, and it's what I do. I don't need a financial incentive as the primary reason for making games.

You loving retards attacking me and my games, doesn't loving faze me one bit. It's certainly not going to make Star Citizen a better, let alone a released, game.

Unlike you single testicled nut jobs, I put my money where my mouth is by actually paying attorneys in order to seek accountability for myself and the backers.

And then, even as they over-played their hand, they took it one step further by accusing me of stalking and harassment, even though there was no basis in fact, let alone in law, for it. Once again, I paid attorneys to give Ortwin, the other part of the scam, the redress his incompetent rear end was dying for.

Then The Escapist ended up doing an article in which other sources pretty much confirmed everything that I had been saying. Again, Chris over-played his hand by writing a kindergarten level diatribe in which he mentioned me over 5 dozen times - despite the fact that I had NOTHING to do with The Escapist article (which didn't even mention me).

And during all this time, 2 of the 3 things (financial accounting, dev schedule, refunds for those who are) that I asked for in my 2015 legal action, and which CIG was fighting against, ended up happening anyway. Why? Because it was the right loving call, and I knew it from the start.

Aside from all that, I had said that without the tech, the team, the money (at least $150M, they couldn't possibly build the loving game. That was 2.5 loving years ago. So far, I made that claim at around $75M. It's now $165M and it's not even out of pre-Alpha. And all the experienced people have since left, leaving mostly incompetent yes-men who are either just pulling a pay check, or towing the line.

When in 2016 they ended up switching engines (I wrote a whole loving blog about why that was BAD, not good) - without saying a loving thing about it beforehand - I said it was a loving waste of time because there is NO ENGINE on the planet that could build THAT game, most of you degenerate latte-sipping drama junkies, continued to attack me, while trying to theory-craft your way off an iceberg - even as Chris Roberts and his gang of fuckups, continued to PROVE ME RIGHT.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that I said SQ42 wasn't coming out in 2016. Again, I got attacked. CIG went on the record that it was totally, definitely coming out - pledge moah.

Then it didn't.

And I said that twice (for 2016 and 2017) because that's what sources said.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, back in Q4/2016 when I said that sources told me 3.0 didn't loving exist when Chris said it did - again, I got incessantly attacked. I thought "Fine. gently caress 'em; they'll see soon enough". So I spent a whole loving year documenting The Road To 3.0 timeline because I knew that, as these things go, you dumb-rear end schoolyard bullies are keen on revisionist history.

At the height of the 3.0 frenzy, I again wrote that sources said the entire dev schedule unveiled in April 2017, was pure and utter bullshit, and didn't reflect the internal schedule. Again, you glue huffing pinheads attacked me. Then slowly and slowly, this turned out to be true; and to the extent that it wasn't even a month ago that items started disappearing from the schedule, even though they never even appeared (as fixed or otherwise) in the schedule. Now, with the latest, NONE of that is even in the schedule.

But wait! There's more!

Through this whole time, I kept writing that 3.0 wasn't even ready for Evocati, that sources said it needed at least 6 months, that any earlier release would be a loving disaster (which we are now witnessing), and that it was a ploy for the CitizenCon shindig etc. Ignoring the fact that it was over a month ago, it conveniently got released - ahead of a sale - with loving obvious bugs which were either 1) already reported or 2) not even logged, thus providing ample evidence that even the special needs Evocati coffee-mainlining turd heaps who kept pretending that everything was OK and covering for CIG, were busy stroking their yogurt encrusted boners, having been let into the sekret club, instead of playing the loving game and helping to fix it. Which, considering that it was a pile of unplayable poo poo (just as I'd written), makes sense because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

As of today, the loving project is a dumpster fire, and is completely FUBAR. And we're not even talking about it being pre-Alpha; but the fact that 6 years + $165m later, they don't even have a loving CompSci project, let alone a vertical slice of EITHER game.

Any one of you boot-licking Trumpettes who would look at this loving schedule of promises, and think "Yeah, they're totally going to make that game" deserves to be fleeced of everything you have.

Since you are one of those broken-brained rear end-clowns, I have no loving reason to believe that you have fully divested yourself from the project, or you wouldn't be wishy-washy about it, let alone still making loving videos while acting all shocked as if you only just now discovered a dime size hole in your Strawberry flavored condom.

Like others who hide behind the confines of anonymity while taking potshots at people like me, somehow you think that we're just going to forget about all the poo poo that you peanut-basted fruitcakes have been doing this whole time. My one regret is that I wrote enough, with sufficient evidence, for you guys to get a refund. I would very much have liked for you all to go down with the ship in the impending final days that are now playing out.

Go gently caress yourself. You're all a bunch of...

ps: I found the evidence (1, 2) of your meltdown over the Amazon dev interview which I essentially killed. Again, unlike you guys, my version of reality is the real one.

pps: You are now on my block list as I have nothing further to say to you.

Thanks for sharing, but we already know you have narcissistic personality disorder. Go see a therapist.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Derek, please take a chill pill. We're in a joyous time, celebrating the Jesus patch, no need for this.

Oh, I'm done with him. I didn't want to have to deal with multiple responses to him. So I did the blog, then blocked. Done and done.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't home at the time I posted the previous response. So I was saving the best for last. As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

First, I want to thank the Heavenly Father for continuing to show you loving heathens that the only true religion is one that is led by divine order, not some clueless moron born of man.

Second, I would like to thank the Goon (on my Discord) who bought you a $10 account so you could step out of your safe space and into the real digital world where you have no powa.

Oh, FYI, Goons buy accounts for fresh meat all the time. Paying 10 bux doesn't make you a Goon. It makes you a dumb gently caress who got roped into posting at the one place where everyone eats their young, and for good measure, even the old ladies, during a slow week. See: MoMa

I am also happy that you were dumb (I told you to take your meds, right?) enough to post this regurgitated vomit that's devoid of any logic (yeah, yeah, I know, Shitizens are as dumb as a bag of strap-on dildos in the bargain bin at a strip mall; but I digress) - at all.

Here's the thing. You and your turd-brained poo poo gargling girlfriends, ARE the reason that we're here, and the reason that the entire community is polarized.

The fact that you - and your circle jerk buddies - are still singing this "Oh you!!" mantra, is testament to the fact that you're all a bunch of completely broken gently caress sticks, bereft of anything resembling decent human beings worthy of being in society, let alone among normal people.

If your excuse for behaving the way that you have for the past years is because one POSITIVELY INSANE, AUTISTIC & CRANKY OLD GAME DEV wrote a loving blog (like nobody ever did that before, you see), then it makes the most sense that you all continued to give money to a bona fide scam artist who has all but poo poo in an ice cooler and passed it around so that you all can get the experience of what the turd from the guy you all made a millionaire, smells like.

In July 2015, I wrote the infamous "July Blog". In it, I said the game as pitched couldn't be made because Chris Roberts had extended the scope beyond the capabilities of the tech, the team, and the money.

They responded (at the behest of Sandi Gardiner & Ben Lesnick, according to my sources) by lying about why they kicked out my account and refunded me.

We now know - without a doubt - that the only reason why a multi-millionaire corp, led by a hapless wannabe visionary who has busted every loving project/company he ever touched, would even bother to respond to what many at the time believed to be the rantings of a "jealous" developer, is if there was SOME fact to what was written.

I have spent almost THREE loving DECADES building massive and complex games in the genre. Every loving tech you could possibly think of putting in a space/planetary combat game, I've either developed, or prototyped. And there is NOTHING in Star Citizen that's remotely revolutionary, groundbreaking, or original. Sure, my games aren't popular, they're not blockbusters, and they don't cater to a large audience. But so loving what? Anyone who knows my history, knows that I never - ever - set out to do that, or I would have changed course. A group of people keep buying the games that I make, so I kept making them. Audience size and revenue are irrelevant if you can make enough money to pay your bills and develop the games you want to develop. That's what an indie is. That's who I am, always was, and always will be.

Heck, just for the sheer fun of it, I just spent two loving weeks working on and releasing (on Thanksgiving Day, no less) a patch for a game I loving released in 2008, and which sold less than 100 copies in the past quarter. Why? Because I loving can, and because for me, it's fun, and it's what I do. I don't need a financial incentive as the primary reason for making games.

You loving retards attacking me and my games, doesn't loving faze me one bit. It's certainly not going to make Star Citizen a better, let alone a released, game.

Unlike you single testicled nut jobs, I put my money where my mouth is by actually paying attorneys in order to seek accountability for myself and the backers.

And then, even as they over-played their hand, they took it one step further by accusing me of stalking and harassment, even though there was no basis in fact, let alone in law, for it. Once again, I paid attorneys to give Ortwin, the other part of the scam, the redress his incompetent rear end was dying for.

Then The Escapist ended up doing an article in which other sources pretty much confirmed everything that I had been saying. Again, Chris over-played his hand by writing a kindergarten level diatribe in which he mentioned me over 5 dozen times - despite the fact that I had NOTHING to do with The Escapist article (which didn't even mention me).

And during all this time, 2 of the 3 things (financial accounting, dev schedule, refunds for those who are) that I asked for in my 2015 legal action, and which CIG was fighting against, ended up happening anyway. Why? Because it was the right loving call, and I knew it from the start.

Aside from all that, I had said that without the tech, the team, the money (at least $150M, they couldn't possibly build the loving game. That was 2.5 loving years ago. So far, I made that claim at around $75M. It's now $165M and it's not even out of pre-Alpha. And all the experienced people have since left, leaving mostly incompetent yes-men who are either just pulling a pay check, or towing the line.

When in 2016 they ended up switching engines (I wrote a whole loving blog about why that was BAD, not good) - without saying a loving thing about it beforehand - I said it was a loving waste of time because there is NO ENGINE on the planet that could build THAT game, most of you degenerate latte-sipping drama junkies, continued to attack me, while trying to theory-craft your way off an iceberg - even as Chris Roberts and his gang of fuckups, continued to PROVE ME RIGHT.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that I said SQ42 wasn't coming out in 2016. Again, I got attacked. CIG went on the record that it was totally, definitely coming out - pledge moah.

Then it didn't.

And I said that twice (for 2016 and 2017) because that's what sources said.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, back in Q4/2016 when I said that sources told me 3.0 didn't loving exist when Chris said it did - again, I got incessantly attacked. I thought "Fine. gently caress 'em; they'll see soon enough". So I spent a whole loving year documenting The Road To 3.0 timeline because I knew that, as these things go, you dumb-rear end schoolyard bullies are keen on revisionist history.

At the height of the 3.0 frenzy, I again wrote that sources said the entire dev schedule unveiled in April 2017, was pure and utter bullshit, and didn't reflect the internal schedule. Again, you glue huffing pinheads attacked me. Then slowly and slowly, this turned out to be true; and to the extent that it wasn't even a month ago that items started disappearing from the schedule, even though they never even appeared (as fixed or otherwise) in the schedule. Now, with the latest, NONE of that is even in the schedule.

But wait! There's more!

Through this whole time, I kept writing that 3.0 wasn't even ready for Evocati, that sources said it needed at least 6 months, that any earlier release would be a loving disaster (which we are now witnessing), and that it was a ploy for the CitizenCon shindig etc. Ignoring the fact that it was over a month ago, it conveniently got released - ahead of a sale - with loving obvious bugs which were either 1) already reported or 2) not even logged, thus providing ample evidence that even the special needs Evocati coffee-mainlining turd heaps who kept pretending that everything was OK and covering for CIG, were busy stroking their yogurt encrusted boners, having been let into the sekret club, instead of playing the loving game and helping to fix it. Which, considering that it was a pile of unplayable poo poo (just as I'd written), makes sense because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

As of today, the loving project is a dumpster fire, and is completely FUBAR. And we're not even talking about it being pre-Alpha; but the fact that 6 years + $165m later, they don't even have a loving CompSci project, let alone a vertical slice of EITHER game.

Any one of you boot-licking Trumpettes who would look at this loving schedule of promises, and think "Yeah, they're totally going to make that game" deserves to be fleeced of everything you have.

Since you are one of those broken-brained rear end-clowns, I have no loving reason to believe that you have fully divested yourself from the project, or you wouldn't be wishy-washy about it, let alone still making loving videos while acting all shocked as if you only just now discovered a dime size hole in your Strawberry flavored condom.

Like others who hide behind the confines of anonymity while taking potshots at people like me, somehow you think that we're just going to forget about all the poo poo that you peanut-basted fruitcakes have been doing this whole time. My one regret is that I wrote enough, with sufficient evidence, for you guys to get a refund. I would very much have liked for you all to go down with the ship in the impending final days that are now playing out.

Go gently caress yourself. You're all a bunch of...

ps: I found the evidence (1, 2) of your meltdown over the Amazon dev interview which I essentially killed. Again, unlike you guys, my version of reality is the real one.

pps: You are now on my block list as I have nothing further to say to you.

Could you elaborate on this?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

Thanks for sharing, but we already know you have narcissistic personality disorder. Go see a therapist.

Run for cover, the opening salvo is rarely accurate in these types of engagement so we've got a chance at getting to safety. :)

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

Nalin posted:

If you are learning how to program for the first time, I would suggest you use something like GameMaker and make some basic games. Many of the 2D game creation engines have some sort of scripting language support which will get you experience with the basics of programming, like variables and flow control. Things that almost every single software development language has. And they also have lots of tutorials that take you through creating a simple game on your own.

See, new developers probably have no idea what to actually make. They don't even know how to start making something. I've taken college courses on software development and I saw so many people just not understand it because they were taught, "Here is a variable. Here is an if statement. This is how you do a loop." Just because you know the structure of a sentence and what each piece is called doesn't make you a good writer. Software development is just a big puzzle game. You use the language to create data or change it from A to B. It requires a certain mindset, so if you don't already have this mindset, you need to start building it. A child won't be able to build a car, but if you give him some LEGOs to play with, he could create a simple toy car. You need to actually play around with the pieces and see how changing something can have an effect on your software, and understand how to use your code to shape your end result. Follow the tutorials and make your first game, and then challenge yourself by making a 2nd, different TYPE of game, all on your own. Learn the mindset behind applying your learned techniques from scratch.

Once you get good at programming, you learn that many language concepts are shared between all the other languages, just with a different syntax for accessing them. All the languages you will be using in your career have ways of declaring and using variables and controlling the flow of execution. You learn that some languages are dynamically typed and some are statically typed. You learn that some need explicit declaration of variables while others don't. And you find that a lot of this stuff is just variations on some of the same core fundamentals between the languages. As you learn these, you start being able to read and understand a new language in a day or two.

Learning the core fundamentals and, more importantly, how you can apply them to reach your end result, doesn't require you start with a specific language. Pick something fun, something you can play around with, and learn from that. Once you feel comfortable with it, then you can pick up a book on C# and expand your core knowledge. Learn what object-oriented languages are, what a class is, etc. Make some basic WinForms apps or find some C# project on github and fix some bugs. Or maybe pick up JavaScript and play around with website elements. Play around with Node.js and stuff.

Anyway, the whole point of all of this is that you need to cultivate a certain mindset around programming. I've seen many people who don't have this mindset, and they always flounder and fail. They are people who can't solve the puzzle. They know how to read the code, and they know how to write the code, but they just can't figure out how to get from A to B without somebody walking them through it. They can see the beginning, they know how it should end, but they can't come up with the middle stuff on their own. Learning how to solve that puzzle for yourself should be the first step.

Having read this, I think you're probably right, and retract my advice to start with K&R ;)

I tend to think of that C Programming course as the start of my programming career, because I think of my years with BASIC, and good old GAC as 'kids stuff'. I probably learned far more from doing all of that than I usually consider.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

gooncati sent me this, my brain is too smooth to understand it really but -

"Evocati Pilot purposely jumped past the allowed space of the Solar system, turns out 64 Bit is far from enough to keep objects attached to each other over these distances in a fixed Grid"

This interests me a lot. Is that dismemberment of the ship parts due to the 64 bit shenanigans loving up? Do you have a link where this is discussed?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

New jpeg from CR: Planet looks a little odd. But anyways I got a piece of the land.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

lol holy poo poo

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nalin posted:

If you are learning how to program for the first time, I would suggest you use something like GameMaker and make some basic games. Many of the 2D game creation engines have some sort of scripting language support which will get you experience with the basics of programming, like variables and flow control. Things that almost every single software development language has. And they also have lots of tutorials that take you through creating a simple game on your own.

See, new developers probably have no idea what to actually make. They don't even know how to start making something. I've taken college courses on software development and I saw so many people just not understand it because they were taught, "Here is a variable. Here is an if statement. This is how you do a loop." Just because you know the structure of a sentence and what each piece is called doesn't make you a good writer. Software development is just a big puzzle game. You use the language to create data or change it from A to B. It requires a certain mindset, so if you don't already have this mindset, you need to start building it. A child won't be able to build a car, but if you give him some LEGOs to play with, he could create a simple toy car. You need to actually play around with the pieces and see how changing something can have an effect on your software, and understand how to use your code to shape your end result. Follow the tutorials and make your first game, and then challenge yourself by making a 2nd, different TYPE of game, all on your own. Learn the mindset behind applying your learned techniques from scratch.

Once you get good at programming, you learn that many language concepts are shared between all the other languages, just with a different syntax for accessing them. All the languages you will be using in your career have ways of declaring and using variables and controlling the flow of execution. You learn that some languages are dynamically typed and some are statically typed. You learn that some need explicit declaration of variables while others don't. And you find that a lot of this stuff is just variations on some of the same core fundamentals between the languages. As you learn these, you start being able to read and understand a new language in a day or two.

Learning the core fundamentals and, more importantly, how you can apply them to reach your end result, doesn't require you start with a specific language. Pick something fun, something you can play around with, and learn from that. Once you feel comfortable with it, then you can pick up a book on C# and expand your core knowledge. Learn what object-oriented languages are, what a class is, etc. Make some basic WinForms apps or find some C# project on github and fix some bugs. Or maybe pick up JavaScript and play around with website elements. Play around with Node.js and stuff.

Anyway, the whole point of all of this is that you need to cultivate a certain mindset around programming. I've seen many people who don't have this mindset, and they always flounder and fail. They are people who can't solve the puzzle. They know how to read the code, and they know how to write the code, but they just can't figure out how to get from A to B without somebody walking them through it. They can see the beginning, they know how it should end, but they can't come up with the middle stuff on their own. Learning how to solve that puzzle for yourself should be the first step.

This is a good post

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Wow lots of posts today, let's see if anything good happened.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
I love this thread

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Dusty Lens posted:

lol holy poo poo

It's quite evident FTR is the one with the problem.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Dusty Lens posted:

Well to be fair having your landing gear down generally means you're going to land and maybe you want finer control over what you're about to be doing with respect to moving towards solid objects.

So I'm going to assume that someone somewhere decided to sneak a good gameplay decision in there somewhere.

So it lowers the acceleration too ? Then that would make sense. That's like an auto flight assist in landing mode.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

"The Aegis Reclaimer has been tearing it's way through the ship pipeline."

It's tearing some kind of pipeline....

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

Pantsbird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjB_DvVQAPg&t=1538s

"The Aegis Reclaimer has been tearing it's way through the ship pipeline."

It's tearing some kind of pipeline....

In Soviet Russia, star ship buy you!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow 3.0 is out everyone must be having a great.... oh, wow

"I feel like I just watched someone kill my toddler son in front of me"

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Nyast posted:

So it lowers the acceleration too ? Then that would make sense. That's like an auto flight assist in landing mode.

Apparently it does not. I just assumed it did because that would not only be the intelligent way to do it but the way Elite does it. But I guess in SC you still floor it but stick to first gear.

I suppose if there was an explanation as to why anyone would approach the idea of governing how you move while attempting to land in such an rear end backwards way it would be due to the alternative being not only the intelligent way to do it but the way Elite does it.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

lol holy poo poo

It's ok, he got home without incident:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

XK posted:

I literally want to know how long it took you to type this.

To be fair, a lot of it is copy-pasted

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this failure to report overview is loving amazing

he's mad, he's so mad

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Derek Smart less posts please
I'd rather read Tarkaroshe at this point

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Who is failuretoreport and why is Derek so excited about it?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Daztek posted:

new jpeg is $650 for the fresh cash/warbond version lol

They've got Space Jeremy Clarkson shilling this one too.

Are they just going to do a new ship every day of the sale? How many loving ships is Star Citizen going to end up with?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

They've got Space Jeremy Clarkson shilling this one too.

Are they just going to do a new ship every day of the sale? How many loving ships is Star Citizen going to end up with?

The next days are old ships I think

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

lol holy poo poo

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

MedicineHut posted:

This interests me a lot. Is that dismemberment of the ship parts due to the 64 bit shenanigans loving up? Do you have a link where this is discussed?

quote:

Greetings from Gooncati!

the ships hull, it's components, user interfaces and the pilot are all individual entities referenced to a static coordinate grid. The origin of the current one sits in the center of crusader which is a planet in the Stanton system. The commando who took the pictures abused some quantum jump bugs to jump further away than he should be able to by cigs design. He went to the other planets of the system which are not modeled but have quantum markers as a little hype/marketing gimmick. When the distances to the origin increased the coarser nature of the floating point grid detached the position of the ships components, UIs and the pilot from their natural positioning, resulting in the stimpire version of the ship in the picture. This shows the inherent inability of the current engine and tech to simulate a solar system to the scale used in 3.0. Even if they had the planets ready the game literally couldn't handle the scale at 64 bit coordinates without going so coarse the the ship components disintegrate from the hull

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He doesn't like his current job in the education field and wants to do something new.

Don’t want to burst bubbles, but changing careers and trying to do self taught programming is going to be super difficult. I don’t even look over a resume unless they have a BS or higher with programming as their major.

However with that said, if I were him I’d start looking at stuff like HTML, PHP and JavaScript. Get super cozy with that and then start digging into Node.js, and with that there’s a chance to change careers to a web developer. Either freelance or remote office may be good.

I’m suggesting web development because it’s pretty WYSIWYG, and new programmers like to see what they do with results. Going down the comp sci path with algorithms, huge masses of math, and logic stuff is important to “getting it” but the payoff on that is hugely not visible and puts off lots of people.

There’s also cyber security stuff that’s pretty fun, but probably not something easily self taught. Depends on his motivation! I hope he can make it work! :)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also I just want to say I really respect the balls on CIG for selling a seven hundred dollar combat ship that basically cannot fight without 3-4 people coordinating, in a game where 3-4 people doing anything together is literally impossible and nobody has ever manned a turret for more than twenty seconds.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Who is failuretoreport and why is Derek so excited about it?

FTD is a youtuber who recently expressed a little verbal disapointment over 3.0.

It's Warlord mating season at the moment, he's just generally excited lately. :)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

FailureToReport posted:

I posted your Twitter DM exchange of you trying to talk to her and she says one sentence to you and you go on and on and on.
I don't believe you. I think you're trying to make Derek look bad by exaggerating the w-

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is hilarious on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin

Dear CIG, refunds are needed in 3.0.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Also I just want to say I really respect the balls on CIG for selling a seven hundred dollar combat ship that basically cannot fight without 3-4 people coordinating, in a game where 3-4 people doing anything together is literally impossible and nobody has ever manned a turret for more than twenty seconds.

Eh, you can just get NPCs for that

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Could you elaborate on this?
LOL, that's the spirit.

I like this one, hope he sticks around.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

I'm just waiting to see if he goes Branson over Derek.

We like to poo poo on Brendan but very few people have enough fissile material to go full him.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Idris and Javelin going on sale, new hammerhead thing, new other new jpg thing that's new.

Please sell the 890 jump and some vanduul thing and maybe sell a new alien thing too. Take all their money.